• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Snow1964

Established Member
Queens Park to Harrow & Wealdstone - LNWR.
Leyton to Epping and Newbury Park - GER
If DLR counts then various bits - just east of Tower Gateway nearly to Poplar (LT&SR) and just north of Poplar to north of Bow Church (GER, I think) ; also I think the piece through Crossharbour to just short of the new Mudchute station (also GER)
East London Line presumably doesn't count any more as it is now Overground.
East Putney to Wimbledon (LSWR)

Yes, for Queens Park (new line), but original tracks alongside were London &Birmingham

Yes, GER via Hainault (Newbury ParK - Ilford now closed)

The DLR is not served by Underground trains, is not GER, it was The East and West India Docks and Birmingham Junction Railway (renamed North London railway in 1853), The London and Blackwell railway built the section via Limehouse

Yes for East Putney - Wimbledon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
As there has been no more answers, and only major one left was Central line extensions over the GWR line to Ruislip (mainly new tracks alongside), time to move on.

@DerekC got the most, so hand over question told to you.

DerekC

Established Member
Ok thanks.

Using the word "railway" in its most general sense to mean a system where vehicles run on rails of any shape and material, what is thought to have been the first overground railway in Britain, and perhaps the world?

D6975

Established Member
There was a very early wagonway somewhere up near Whitehaven I think. Used to carry coal.

DerekC

Established Member
I think it was a waggonway, though where I know not :?:

Somewhere on Tyneside?

There was a very early wagonway somewhere up near Whitehaven I think. Used to carry coal.
Well, you all have the right idea. It was a waggonway that carried coal. Not Whitehaven or Tyneside although there is a historical link with the latter. I recall seeing a display about it somewhere - maybe at the Bluebell Railway's museum although that's not at all in the right part of the country.

D6975

Established Member
Blimey - just stumbled across one in Wiltshire that dates back to circa 300AD!!

DerekC

Established Member
Middleton (near Leeds)?
The Middleton Railway dates from 1758 and claims to be the world's oldest continuously working railway, but it's 150 years too young to beat mine!
Blimey - just stumbled across one in Wiltshire that dates back to circa 300AD!!
Hmm - Roman chariot wheel ruts perhaps?

This question doesn't seem to be going anywhere and nobody has really got near it.

The answer is the Wollaton Wagonway. It was built in 1603-4 to carry coal two miles from coal mines at Strelley to a distribution point at Wollaton in the western outskirts of Nottingham. There are other contenders for the title of the oldest including Broseley in the Ironbridge area, but Wollaton is documented. It had wooden rails and probably wooden roller-type wheels with flanges. It only lasted a few years, but the builder (one Huntingdon Beaumont) went on to build similar wagonways on Tyneside, so it really was the ancestor of railways. There is an interesting paper about it here:

https://www.island-publishing.co.uk/WRC_mirror/woll_wag_leaflet_a4.pdf

Here's the first part:

The Wollaton Wagonway of 1604 - A Waggonway Research Circle guide. Why is the Wollaton Wagonway significant? It is generally regarded as the first embryonic, overland, railway to have been built in England. As no earlier example is known elsewhere it is also recognised as the World’s first overland railway. Significantly it is also proven by surviving documentation although that documentation does not contain full build details. “alonge the passage now laide with railes, and with suche or the lyke Carriages as are now in use for the purpose”. The above quote is from Sir Percival Willoughby’s lease to Huntingdon Beaumont dated 1 October 1604. Sir Percival was Lord of the Manor of Wollaton and Huntingdon Beaumont was his business partner and the lessee of the Strelley coal pits. What is known with certainty about the Wollaton Wagonway is set out below. 1 - The overland, railed, route was approximately two miles long. 2 - The rails, made of wood, ran from Strelley to Wollaton. 3 - The wagonway was built to carry coal from the Strelley Pits to a distribution point near Wollaton Lane (now Wollaton Road). A considerable % of the coal was also taken onwards from there by road to Trent Bridge and then on downstream by barge. 4 - The vehicles used to carry the coal on the rails were referred to as wagons or carriages. 5 - The wagons or carriages were drawn by horses. 6 - The Wagonway was built between October 1603 and October 1604. 7 - The Wagonway was built by Huntingdon Beaumont. 8 - The Wagonway cost approximately £166* to build, however, it is not clear exactly what that included. 9 - The cost of the Wagonway was shared 50:50 between Huntingdon Beaumont and Sir Percival Willoughby. 10 - The Wagonway is understood to have been used successfully for a number of years, until at least 1615. However records of a specific closure date have not survived. The success of the Wollaton Wagonway lead to Huntingdon Beaumont building other wagonways for his other mining leases in Northumberland. A continuous evolution of railways can be traced back to the Wollaton Wagonway
Open floor.

SteveM70

Established Member
Looks like @SteveM70 isn't with us so suggest we declare Open Floor.

Massive apologies. For whatever reason the post on Tuesday didn’t trigger an alert, which seems to happy whenever I get mentioned or a post of mine gets replied to. Sorry to have held you all up; sadly for you this isn’t eligible for delay repay :lol:

I’m going to be away with work the next couple of days so may not have much spare time, so I’ll say open floor

DerekC

Established Member
On the subject of tunnels - the task is to arrange the following alphabetical list into order of length (longest first). The prize goes to the person who gets the complete list right first.

1Box
2Bramhope
3Chipping Sodbury
4Disley
5Ffestiniog
6Rhondda
7Sevenoaks
8Standedge
9Totley
10Woodhead

This is a bit of an experiment!!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I shall indulge myself in a little bit of lateral thinking and say that whilst the list is shown here in alphabetical order, the lengths are in fact in reverse order, i.e. Woodhead is the longest and Box is the shortest. I'm probably wrong, but it's worth a guess!

DerekC

Established Member
I shall indulge myself in a little bit of lateral thinking and say that whilst the list is shown here in alphabetical order, the lengths are in fact in reverse order, i.e. Woodhead is the longest and Box is the shortest. I'm probably wrong, but it's worth a guess!
Well worth a guess but unfortunately not - the list is alphabetical and nothing to do with length. However you are right that Box is the shortest. Woodhead is long, but one other tunnel is longer.

Calthrop

Established Member
I know the longest -- and now (from the above) the shortest; otherwise, haven't the slightest notion -- and am basically pretty clueless where figures are concerned. Googling would make nonsense of the whole "quiz" idea: so, I won't embark on any attempt at this one !

DerekC

Established Member
Is Standege the longest? And Blaenau [Ffestiniog] second longest?
No to both. Standedge is a few yards shorter than Woodhead (depending on which of the two sets of tunnels you measure). In boring the longest the construction team broke into a large natural cavern whose entrance is still visible.