• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
If Box is the shortest with three letters, then I'll say the longest is Chipping Sodbury 'cos it's got fifteen !
I think Blaenau Ffestiniog would beat it!
Totley is surprising long.
Now you are talking! Totley is No.1

So you have the first, second, third and last. To help things along let's list the post-1923 railway company that owned each tunnel (naming the exact constituent that built them would make it too easy!)

1. LMS
2. LNER
3. LMS
4. GWR
5. LMS
6. LNER
7. LMS
8. Southern
9. GWR
10. GWR

AndyPJG

Bit of intuition plus lots of guesswork from the clue:-

Totley
Woodhead
Ffestiniog
Chipping Sodbury
Standedge
Bramhope
Disley
Sevenoaks
Box
Rhondda

DerekC

Established Member
Ok, so numbering from the top 1,2,4,6 and 8 are in the right place. The rest need a bit of sorting! There are some clues in earlier posts which should help.

DerekC

Established Member
@AndyPJG - just interchange Ffestiniog and Disley and you are there. The correct order with lengths in yards is:

1Totley
6230​
2Woodhead
5346​
3Standedge
5340​
4Chipping Sodbury
4444​
5Disley
3866​
6Bramhope
3761​
7Blaenau Ffestiniog
3726​
8Sevenoaks
3520​
9Rhondda
3443​
10Box
3212​

The floor is yours!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've posted similar questions in the past, and I will do so again now - and a heads up that I'm offline shortly until tomorrow morning, so I'll check for answers at some point in the morning.

This question is also a letters question, but let's see if anyone gets the actual time of the train in question as well... it should be easy enough I've also left out the first and last letters... and one more that is somewhere in the sequence...

?
W
C
P
D
D
H
G
A
A
C
U
B
R
C
T
R
S
?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
W C P could be Watford Crewe Preston (or Weston Clevedon + Portishead) but otherwise I am a bit stuck, did the train continue to Dalton-in-Furness?

Perhaps we could have a clue. Is it outside the UK?

Waterloo Clapham Putney, Kingston Loop? Just guessing.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
W C P could be Watford Crewe Preston (or Weston Clevedon + Portishead) but otherwise I am a bit stuck, did the train continue to Dalton-in-Furness?

Perhaps we could have a clue. Is it outside the UK?

Waterloo Clapham Putney, Kingston Loop? Just guessing.
Watford, Crewe and Preston is right... which should give you the rest of it, including the time.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
..Roy Bridge, Spean Bridge, Fort William!?
Sleeper train, maybe 20:50 from Euston?
Yes, it's the Fort Bill beds... more usually 21.15 from Euston, but you're close enough and you obviously have worked it out correctly, so the timetable planning is yours.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Very good, but I can not puzzle out all the stops.

Here are first letters for stops on a steam railway many of us have used.

W is the headquarters station, then comes WW, the train goes uphill to DAH where there is a branch to B, continues to ET where the line to Q branches off, continues south to the inappropriately named terminus N.

Spamcan81

Very good, but I can not puzzle out all the stops.

Here are first letters for stops on a steam railway many of us have used.

W is the headquarters station, then comes WW, the train goes uphill to DAH where there is a branch to B, continues to ET where the line to Q branches off, continues south to the inappropriately named terminus N.

Wernigerode, Wernigerode Westerntor, Drei Annen Hohne, Brocken, Eisfelter Talmühle, Quedlinburg and Nordhausen. We're in the Harz.

Calthrop

Established Member
A notion which I've used before in setting questions in "Railway General Knowledge" -- maybe liked by some, more than others? I sometimes find it surprising, how many stations in the British Isles at "rail peak" or before -- geographically far from each other, serving totally different communities -- bore identical names to each other. There are plenty of such "pairs"; and a few "triples". There follow, three "triples": will give the name of the pre-Grouping company, or equivalent, on whose system each station was; plus an extra hint of some kind. The majority of the stations concerned -- but not all -- are now without passenger services.

Please give the relevant name in each case.

(1) Great Western; Maryport & Carlisle; London, Brighton & South Coast.

One of these places has an association with a parasitic bird.

(2) London & North Western; Jersey Railway; London & South Western.

"Works and watercourse."

(3) South Eastern & Chatham; Great Eastern; and, Southern Railway -- line inaugurated post-Grouping. (And, sort-of, a fourth with this name; but on an undertaking which some would regard as good fun, but not a proper railway.)

Calthrop

Established Member
Would 2 be St Helier?

St. Helier didn't even occur to me; but I think I can with a clear conscience say, "sorry, no"; to the best of my knowledge, "one in Jersey, one in south London suburbia, no third one".

Calthrop

Established Member
(2) I think must be Millbrook.

Correct -- between Bedford and Bletchley, on Varsity / Marston Vale line; on Jersey Ry. between St. Helier and St. Aubin (station building is still in existence as a cafe !); just west of Southampton Central.

(3) has me stumped - I will try for Crofton, although I am not sure it fits the criteria

Do you actually mean (3)? -- @Gloster has got that one (Hythe); is it (1) you're referring to? (if so, it isn't Crofton).

Calthrop

Established Member
This is embarrassing -- I come to feel that I've mucked this question up. On (1) -- the Maryport & Carlisle station, closed very well over a century ago: is to all intents and purposes, "one that nobody has ever heard of" -- I was wishfully imagining it to be better-known -- really, not fair as a quiz item.

I think the thing to do, is to "pull the plug" on this question here, scrapping (1). @Gloster and @DerekC have thus, got one each. Would you two gentlemen wish for a "tie-breaker" -- to be devised -- or ... ?

The name re (1), is Heathfield -- Devon (Moretonhampstead / Teign Valley lines); Cumbria (on M&C main line just east of Aspatria, closed "aeons ago"); East Sussex (on "Cuckoo Line", hence parasitic bird).

Apologies for overall messing-up here.