• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

M-Train

From Coruscant-upon-Pearl to North Acton....
I would not be sure that either is right, though combined, the right idea should be almost there.

The two numbers reflect inconsistencies in the application of BR renumberings: as @xotGD notes, they indeed were not ‘real’ numbers, but it is not the case that both were used in preservation. The loco that actually bore 90733 in BR days (if very briefly) was not an Austerity, and no loco ever did carry the number 32643, in BR or preservation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
My perusing of the KWVR website pays dividends!

Sticking with 90733, between the end of WW2 and coming to the UK it spent time working in two European countries. One correct answer will be declared a winner.

M-Train

From Coruscant-upon-Pearl to North Acton....
I would not be sure that either is right, though combined, the right idea should be almost there.

The two numbers reflect inconsistencies in the application of BR renumberings: as @xotGD notes, they indeed were not ‘real’ numbers, but it is not the case that both were used in preservation. The loco that actually bore 90733 in BR days (if very briefly) was not an Austerity, and no loco ever did carry the number 32643, in BR or preservation.
To clarify, 48773 on acquisition by BR was misnumbered into the Austerity series, whilst Terrier 43 ended up with BR from the GWR via Portishead and thus was not renumbered into the BR Terrier series.

Gloster

Established Member
As a trial replacement for old engines from ex-private lines?

Basically correct. In the early 1950s SJ considered using WDs to replace the wide variety of elderly locos, mostly from private lines, that formed the Strategic Reserve. No more were purchased for a number of reasons, including the Defence Ministry being reluctant to foot the the bill for the work required to make the locos suitable for Swedish conditions and the arrival of diesels.

Your turn at the regulator.

341o2

Established Member
I am going to suggest rebuilt on a different site, but not so sure about Portrush

Snow1964

Established Member
Close—however one of these has no SG, and not all of the NG concerned could be called trains.
I know Bournemouth Corporation trams were narrow gauge 3’6“ and one route went to Poole station, so going to have a stab at a level crossing with 2 track gauges crossing on the level

xotGD

Established Member
Between withdrawal in 1951 and preservation in 1993, what was L&Y Blackpool Club Car 47 used for?

D6130

Established Member
Apologies for the slight hiatus caused by my rapidly failing memory! Next question:

In which other European country is bull-head rail still used on secondary lines and in sidings, yards and depots?