• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RealTimeTrains website

With Chiltern, units rarely get turned, they only do if they end up on a Marylebone - banbury via Oxford or the other way round

There is also an ECS from Moor St to Stratford upon Avon that goes on to form the Stratford - Leamington shuttle. I do not know the full diagram so maybe the Stratford reversal gets cancelled out at some point later in the day?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

50002Superb

An API is an application programming interface. It allows different computer programs to communicate with each other. In the case of RealTimeTrains, the API for example might allow you to access the next train departure for a particular station using a simple script written in python etc.

In turn, RTT probably uses some form of API in order to interface with the national open data feeds.
Interesting, thanks.

CR165022

There is also an ECS from Moor St to Stratford upon Avon that goes on to form the Stratford - Leamington shuttle. I do not know the full diagram so maybe the Stratford reversal gets cancelled out at some point later in the day?
It's a 168/3 that does that, it goes to Stratford u a, goes to Leamington and back, then heads down to Marylebone, while a 165 comes up from Marylebone at the same time

DavidGrain

Established Member
If a Chiltern train takes the North Curve at Hatton which it can do if running ECS to/from Moor Street then it will get turned round.
I have known Cross Country trains come into New Street wrong way round according to the platform indicators and I presume that information will have come from the same source that is providing information to RTT.

D6130

Established Member
If a Chiltern train takes the North Curve at Hatton which it can do if running ECS to/from Moor Street then it will get turned round.
I have known Cross Country trains come into New Street wrong way round according to the platform indicators and I presume that information will have come from the same source that is providing information to RTT.
The Cross-Country trains may have been diverted at short notice via Aston or Camp Hill before arriving in New Street

warwickshire

On Moderation
It's a 168/3 that does that, it goes to Stratford u a, goes to Leamington and back, then heads down to Marylebone, while a 165 comes up from Marylebone at the same time
However from December timetable change the 0733 service will longer go to Marylebone it will terminate at Hatton and go ecs to Dorridge to then form a service to Birmingham Moor Street and will remain on Leamington Shuttles.
Due to platform 4 at Leamington being occupied by altered Wmr Nuneaton services. However back on topic what is good is the number of the class 68 locomotives being included in the formation.

louis97

Established Member
Be careful at New Street, they sometimes make their own additions to the screens, and this has on many occasions resulted in incorrect information being displayed. One example I experienced was an XC train that was Voyager vice HST and the screens at New Street said "formed of 8 coaches" (this bit is automatically added by XC), but then it also had a formation in coach letters for an HST (this is the bit New Street add themselves).

On Moderation
Probably best reporting it to RTT rather than posting on a random forum thread.
They probably ought to be more polite about it, too. Given all the work that goes into RTT, we could do without people having that attitude to the site's owner and developer. It is, after all, a free resource that is unmatched anywhere else.

Tom

A forum thread dedicated to RTT that is visited to and replied to regularly by the owner. Tom may well reply.
And in this case I will reply and have put it in the work to-do list for the next site release (although I'm not sure where you'd see 1 coach on the network these days other than on the Stourbridge branch, maybe TfW? Will look.). But @cakefiend is correct: emailing for any problem will get eyes on it far quicker than posting on a random forum thread, whether or not it is to do with RTT, as I don't read this place that often.

headshot119

Established Member
SWR's inbound data has become a little interesting to handle in the last few weeks with the continuing omicron timetable changes. That's probably as much as I can say here. A new mitigation has been put in place. (p.s. please report things like this to the feedback email address as I don't read here that often as I am bored with social media in general, and I have a team of people handling support!)

A forum thread dedicated to RTT that is visited to and replied to regularly by the owner. Tom may well reply.

Where Tom himself says report these things to the feedback email address :)

Sheridan

And in this case I will reply and have put it in the work to-do list for the next site release (although I'm not sure where you'd see 1 coach on the network these days other than on the Stourbridge branch, maybe TfW? Will look.). But @cakefiend is correct: emailing for any problem will get eyes on it far quicker than posting on a random forum thread, whether or not it is to do with RTT, as I don't read this place that often.

Yep, TfW certainly have some services run by single 153s, on the Crewe-Shrewsbury locals and (I think) the Heart of Wales - maybe west Wales too? And very occasionally elsewhere when one of a pair of 153s has failed.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I’m sure if you asked such requests in less of a demanding, arguably entitled manner, those able to do something would be more motivated to ;)
To be fair, in software development, bug reports in the official channels are generally just phrased as a statement of erroneous behaviour and, if non-obvious, what the fix should look like. There's not much politeness involved because the role of the system is simply to produce a database of all the bugs, and then developers can choose which ones they want to fix. More like a shopping list than a wishlist!

(I am aware, though, that this isn't an official bug-reporting channel, and so the conventions are different).

APT618S

Interestingly I am on a working (1P37, 1754 Liverpool - Newcastle, 12/10/22) which is shown as cancelled on RTT (as VCN) but is running. It does not appear if a station is selected unless you look for CAN (Cancelled) services as well.
Does this means it was cancelled, then reinstated and RTT does not update ?
Note that times are updating correctly and unit allocation is correct.
Working:

markymark2000

On Moderation
Interestingly I am on a working (1P37, 1754 Liverpool - Newcastle, 12/10/22) which is shown as cancelled on RTT (as VCN) but is running. It does not appear if a station is selected unless you look for CAN (Cancelled) services as well.
Same thing happened to me on a TFW service about a month ago, RTT was rather slow at picking up the fact the train was running, just starting up the track, (starting Chester vice Holyhead). Took about an hour for it to realise what was going on but it was rather off-putting. I had to check multiple systems as the majority said starting at Chester, RTT opted for cancelled throughout.

Roger B

Same thing happened to me on a TFW service about a month ago, RTT was rather slow at picking up the fact the train was running, just starting up the track, (starting Chester vice Holyhead). Took about an hour for it to realise what was going on but it was rather off-putting. I had to check multiple systems as the majority said starting at Chester, RTT opted for cancelled throughout.
Isn't the root cause of these instances the usual one - RTT accurately reflecting the content of its feeds?

Or perhaps there's a suggestion that feeds could be refreshed more frequently, or even in real-time (eg utilising an API)? But that may raise questions about feed availability and costs - for generating and applying more frequent feeds, and/or creating a real-time interface for VSTP/CAN changes, and whatever else may be required.

_toommm_

Established Member

I think the problem is, is that it sometimes doesn’t get cancelled in the data source that RTT uses, so instead of part-cancelling it from Holyhead to Chester in this example, it just shows as no report until it departs Chester. As some people have said on here before: crap in, crap out.

markymark2000

On Moderation
I think the problem is, is that it sometimes doesn’t get cancelled in the data source that RTT uses, so instead of part-cancelling it from Holyhead to Chester in this example, it just shows as no report until it departs Chester. As some people have said on here before: crap in, crap out.
It showed as cancelled for the whole journey and while I was on the train, we got as far as Shrewsbury before it changed to show the train was running (with the on time, +/- thing) and that the train wasn't cancelled.

Dai Corner

Established Member
It showed as cancelled for the whole journey and while I was on the train, we got as far as Shrewsbury before it changed to show the train was running (with the on time, +/- thing) and that the train wasn't cancelled.
For things like this I'd use the official sources; the TfW website or Journeycheck which will be updated by a person in the Control office who can see what's happening first hand.

Chiltern units get turned everyday.
There are 10 diagrams (SX) that turn units:
6 1 x 2 165 5Y06 (6 car) 5Y12 (5 car) 5U71 5U69
2 1 x 3 165 5Y12 (5 car) 5Y98
1 1 x 2 168 5D13
1 1 x 4 168 5U79
Most correct themselves but some do have a 2 day cycle to correct them. The 4 car 168 has to work the same daigram the next day to correct it and the 2 car 168 takes a few days to get back.

takno

Established Member
Isn't the root cause of these instances the usual one - RTT accurately reflecting the content of its feeds?

Or perhaps there's a suggestion that feeds could be refreshed more frequently, or even in real-time (eg utilising an API)? But that may raise questions about feed availability and costs - for generating and applying more frequent feeds, and/or creating a real-time interface for VSTP/CAN changes, and whatever else may be required.
RTT does take a real-time feed of VSTP changes and on-the-day cancellations, same as Traksy and OTT. The main timetable information from Network Rail however comes in the form of a daily update. All of that used to be a viable plan in a world of operators who attempted to plan a timetable in advance and actually run, taking responsibility for cancelling trains on the day when they found they had to do it.

Unfortunately on the modern railway some of the operators have moved to model of running basically whatever they like whenever they feel like it. They advertise a timetable in advance, then cancel a bunch of trains the night or week before and reinstate them if a driver shows up, or randomly add VSTPs with different headcodes from the original service, often running a slightly different timetable. As a result, trying to provide coherent real-time timetable information based on the Network Rail feel is increasingly impossible for some operators.

The operators themselves provide a feed via National Rail which is kept up to date real-time with roughly what is actually happening (this is the feed which populates station screens, so it's treated reasonably seriously). The problem with this feed is that it's purely passenger-focused, and while it comes with all the relevant information there are restrictions on its use. The most obvious of those for RTT is that you can't show platform numbers until they are visible on the station screens.

Arguably it would be possible to combine the various feeds to provide a more definitive view of what is going on with passenger trains from the National Rail feed, combined with freight and "operational info" like early platform numbers from other feeds, but that would be hugely complex from a technical and possibly legal point of view. For experienced users it's probably better to combine use of RTT with one of the other sites which takes its data feed from National Rail.

Tom

Unfortunately on the modern railway some of the operators have moved to model of running basically whatever they like whenever they feel like it. They advertise a timetable in advance, then cancel a bunch of trains the night or week before and reinstate them if a driver shows up, or randomly add VSTPs with different headcodes from the original service, often running a slightly different timetable. As a result, trying to provide coherent real-time timetable information based on the Network Rail feel is increasingly impossible for some operators.
The bigger issue is the disconnect between NR and TOCs - VSTPs on the NR open feeds are done by NR. On the Darwin feeds, it is done by the TOCs. Trying to build a coherent picture between those two in itself is problematic as neither are truly representative of reality.
Arguably it would be possible to combine the various feeds to provide a more definitive view of what is going on with passenger trains from the National Rail feed, combined with freight and "operational info" like early platform numbers from other feeds, but that would be hugely complex from a technical and possibly legal point of view.
Alas, such a version of RTT actually exists and there is use of it inside the industry. I am not permitted to release it to the wider world (I only pick certain data bits out of Darwin - not advance platform numbers unless Darwin disagrees with RTTs logic for instance) for legal reasons.

takno

Established Member
Alas, such a version of RTT actually exists and there is use of it inside the industry. I am not permitted to release it to the wider world (I only pick certain data bits out of Darwin - not advance platform numbers unless Darwin disagrees with RTTs logic for instance) for legal reasons.
I've been too busy working on a job that actually pays money to add new features to Traksy for a while, but when I do get time to spend on it it's difficult to escape the feeling that a separate industry-only site is the only way to get the schedules side of things working usefully. It's frustrating because until the Thameslink debacle, quickly followed by lockdown, things were generally working really well.

anamyd

On Moderation
It would be good if the "quick search" (in other words, the not-obvious-until-you-know headcode search) searched for the next 24 hours, not the current day. That would be a lot more useful where the date can't be selected.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I beg that RTT stops removing trains on Quick mode that haven’t yet departed despite being expected to