• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Return to Education

Status
Not open for further replies.

nedchester

Established Member
You're in the wrong place for that; try Twitter ;)

I think most people realise that the number of teachers that are 'militant' is very small indeed, especially on this forum!
In my opinion teachers have not been militant enough over the years allowing themselves to be walked over by Governments. It is why teachers are leaving in droves due them being constantly monitored and made to work excessive hours.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

farleigh

I wonder if the DfE can actually make any decision without it turning into a complete farce?

In summary, the DfE created a whole load of aggravation for schools for little discernible benefit. Plus ça change.

For the avoidance of doubt, I don’t support the use of face masks in school at all and I don’t support lateral flow tests in school either. @farleigh has previously pointed out that I sometimes change my mind on things, so to save them time in dredging up old posts, I’ll admit that I’ve previously thought both might help in keeping schools open/reducing the spread of the virus. Having seen the practicalities of both, I’m less convinced.

And before @theironroad pops up with another post to tell me I’m a danger to transport and shop workers, I’ve been doing the LFT twice a week as encouraged by school, wear a face mask in areas where it is recommended and I follow all of the guidelines at all time (I’m still awaiting an apology for the outrageous outburst back in January!).
FWIW I agree with you on this.

I now regret pulling you up on a previous post you made - disgraceful behaviour no? :D

sjpowermac

Established Member
FWIW I agree with you on this.

I now regret pulling you up on a previous post you made - disgraceful behaviour no? :D
No hard feelings, we live and learn:lol:

I have to say, mask compliance at my school was really good on the corridors. I’m dreading being put in the position of having to enforce them in the classroom :frown:

nedchester

Established Member

I have to say, mask compliance at my school was really good on the corridors. I’m dreading being put in the position of having to enforce them in the classroom :frown:
I really feel for you here. There's enough trouble enforcing everyday rules in the classroom without this. No doubt there will be someone ensuring compliance and it'll be YOUR fault if not.

Glad I'm out of the profession

sjpowermac

Established Member
I really feel for you here. There's enough trouble enforcing everyday rules in the classroom without this. No doubt there will be someone ensuring compliance and it'll be YOUR fault if not.

Glad I'm out of the profession
I can answer that one already, staff briefing this morning made it perfectly clear the teacher is held responsible. This would be half reasonable if there were some backup but there won’t be.

In September students were to get ‘one warning’ if they indulged in play fighting/faffing with another student’s mask/‘aggressive’ coughing ect. After the one warning parents were to be called to collect their offspring. I’ll leave you to guess how many actually got sent home for any of those things...

nedchester

Established Member
I can answer that one already, staff briefing this morning made it perfectly clear the teacher is held responsible. This would be half reasonable if there were some backup but there won’t be.

In September students were to get ‘one warning’ if they indulged in play fighting/faffing with another student’s mask/‘aggressive’ coughing ect. After the one warning parents were to be called to collect their offspring. I’ll leave you to guess how many actually got sent home for any of those things...

If the mask rule is to be 'enforced' then it should be zero tolerance. If they don't follow the rule then they're out. But Senior management, obsessed with not getting poor publicity won't go down that road. Much easier to blame the poor member of staff who's trying to get on with the job in hand, to teach.

Like you i don't like masks in classrooms because face to face communication is so important but if that is the rule then it should be enforced.

Oh and of course there will be a significant number of the poor mites that have 'underlying health conditions' that prevent them from wearing face coverings supported by their parents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard Scott

Established Member

That sounds familiar!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Interestingly it turns out it's not actually compulsory.

So I don't think schools can actually enforce it.

What are they holding you responsible for?

If the mask rule is to be 'enforced' then it should be zero tolerance. If they don't follow the rule then they're out.
I do not believe this would be lawful.

Children are not under any obligation to wear face masks, the Government said on Wednesday night, telling schools not to send pupils home if they refuse to wear one.

While masks and regular Covid tests are strongly encouraged, they are not legal requirements and pupils should not be denied education; as a result of non-compliance, officials said.

A headmaster has become the first to break ranks and defy the Government's guidance on face masks in the classroom.
David Perks, principal at East London Science School, said he refuses to enforce masks in lessons as he accused ministers of "pandering to the unions" by changing the guidance.

He told The Telegraph: “To do now what we have not done for a year and to put a restriction on our ability to teach children just does not add up. It puts a psychological and physical barrier between staff and children that is just destructive.”

The Prime Minister announced on Monday that secondary school students should wear masks in the classroom when they return if it is not possible for them to keep two metres apart.

The latest guidance goes much further than earlier Government recommendations on face masks in secondary schools.

During the autumn term, official guidance said face masks should be worn in corridors and communal areas in parts of the country under Tier 2 or Tier 3 restrictions. Elsewhere, it was left to the discretion of headteachers.

Well said David Perks!

I just wish all Headteachers were as good as that. Sadly, that is far from the case.

In other news, while the announcement suggested that schools would be encouraged to run extra curricular activites, our school's interpretation of the guidance is that we are not encouraged to do so, so still no clubs until the 12th of April (after a gap of nearly 13 months!)

Last edited:

sjpowermac

Established Member
If the mask rule is to be 'enforced' then it should be zero tolerance. If they don't follow the rule then they're out. But Senior management, obsessed with not getting poor publicity won't go down that road. Much easier to blame the poor member of staff who's trying to get on with the job in hand, to teach.

Like you i don't like masks in classrooms because face to face communication is so important but if that is the rule then it should be enforced.

Oh and of course there will be a significant number of the poor mites that have 'underlying health conditions' that prevent them from wearing face coverings supported by their parents.
I can very easily see the whole thing being yet another major stress. It’s easy to foresee a situation where a student claims (possibly with good reason) they are having trouble breathing and asks to leave off their mask. Allowing the student to leave their mask off would then doubtless lead to others claiming the same. Which is all fine until a clinically vulnerable parent writes in and asks why on Earth I allow students to be in class with no mask.

That sounds familiar!
I expect it has been replicated in schools up and down the country! Do you know what the instructions are for masks in your own school?

What are they holding you responsible for?
Direct quote from the staff briefing: “We will be holding you, as classroom teachers, responsible for ensuring that students are wearing their masks at all time in the classroom.” There were then some exceptions given, such as with small groups where it is possible to seat students 2 metres plus apart.

Last edited:

nedchester

Established Member
I can very easily see the whole thing being yet another major stress. It’s easy to foresee a situation where a student claims (possibly with good reason) they are having trouble breathing and asks to leave off their mask. Allowing the student to leave their mask off would then doubtless lead to others claiming the same. Which is all fine until a clinically vulnerable parent writes in and asks why on Earth I allow students to be in class with no mask.

Exactly my point and of course there’s the management monitoring the situation and blaming you for not “enforcing school rules”.

And yes if children can get sent home for not having correct uniform, haircuts and following school rules they can to get sent home for face covering violations. It’s a nightmare for teachers to deal with.

But hey let’s not any of that get in the way of a rant about masks and authoritarianism...........

Last edited:

sjpowermac

Established Member
Interestingly it turns out it's not actually compulsory.

So I don't think schools can actually enforce it.
Indeed masks are not compulsory, as was confirmed by Nick Gibb in a tv interview.

What my school is doing is telling parents they have to write in if they believe their child is exempt. The same procedure was followed in September for masks on the corridors. So far, quite reasonable, I think. What was objectionable though was that those claiming exemptions for their child then had to produce a letter from a doctor. Thankfully this hasn’t been applied to the exemption from Lateral Flow Tests, but as I understand it the doctors note is still required for mask exemption.

Exactly my point and of course there’s the management monitoring the situation and blaming you for not “enforcing school rules”.

And yes if children can get sent home for not having correct uniform, haircuts and following school rules they can to get sent home for face covering violations. It’s a nightmare for teachers to deal with.

But hey let’s not any of that get in the way of a rant about masks and authoritarianism...........
I’ve put my points together, along with a few other observations, in an email to the Head. I strongly suspect I won’t get anything meaningful or helpful back. That was certainly my experience in the Autumn and then a colleague ran into difficulties on exactly the points I had made.

Quite so about authoritarianism!

Last edited:

Richard Scott

Established Member
I expect it has been replicated in schools up and down the country! Do you know what the instructions are for masks in your own school?
We've been told masks are mandatory for everyone unless exempt but they want a note from a doctor for exemption!

Typhoon

Established Member
We've been told masks are mandatory for everyone unless exempt but they want a note from a doctor for exemption!
Fine, provided the doctor is willing to write one:-
The Government guidance suggests there is no requirement for evidence for exemption. It should be sufficient for someone to declare that they are eligible for an exemption direct with the person questioning them (eg bus driver).

Practices are therefore not required to provide letters of support for those who fall under the list of exemptions, or to those who do not fall under the list of exemptions.
This is from the BMA so schools might not find GPs uncooperative https://www.bma.org.uk/advice-and-s...ctices/reducing-covid-19-transmission-and-ppe

A quick search found a number of GP practices echo this (I haven't included them as I don't want anyone to target a particular practice because they were near the top of my non-google search). This is another example of policies being spouted before they are being thought through. My surgery was hard hit with staff off with Covid-19 or were self isolating last month

Edit: I have just found that you can have masks with the school logo on them. My heart sinks! (I refuse to publicise them, I had a warning, my internet service went down while investigating, I should have heeded it).

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If a student refuses to wear a mask, I don't really see what the school can do; it's not compulsory to wear them and the Government has made it absolutely clear the child cannot be denied education for not wearing a mask.

I suspect some schools will be walking into problems here, putting staff in a difficult situation and potentially putting the school in breach of the law.

The DfT should not be putting schools in this position, but equally Headteachers need to be pragmatic and realise what is happening and not try to make something that is non-mandatory appear to be mandatory. Sadly not all Headteachers are capable of this.

sjpowermac

Established Member
If a student refuses to wear a mask, I don't really see what the school can do; it's not compulsory to wear them and the Government has made it absolutely clear the child cannot be denied education for not wearing a mask.

I suspect some schools will be walking into problems here, putting staff in a difficult situation and potentially putting the school in breach of the law.

The DfT should not be putting schools in this position, but equally Headteachers need to be pragmatic and realise what is happening and not try to make something that is non-mandatory appear to be mandatory. Sadly not all Headteachers are capable of this.
All of which is very true, but of little help to the teacher in the classroom who has been told that they must ensure students are wearing masks.

In fairness, I can see the point of asking parents to notify the school that their child is exempt, preferably without demanding any medical history/other reasons, but no justification for the school then demanding that the parent provide a letter from a doctor.

Typhoon

Established Member

Absolutely! One of the problems is that many schools now are part of Trusts where the Executive Head is so far from the whiteboard face that they don't understand the consequences of their actions, but it is all about image (hence my edit in #555). If a school is going to enforce this, the action (not just the words) must come from the very top. If you are a classroom teacher, there are a load of battles to fight; this is not your battle, not your war, and they don't pay you enough to fight it!

In fairness, I can see the point of asking parents to notify the school that their child is exempt, preferably without demanding any medical history/other reasons, but no justification for the school then demanding that the parent provide a letter from a doctor.
Absolutely fine, have an official looking form, headed paper, with a load of bumf about what government 'advice' is, that there are exemptions (such as) and if a parent feels that their child fits this, they can sign. Give them the opportunity to indicate the reason if they so wish (useful because schools are not always made aware of these, which is one reason why pupils fall through the net), but not necessary. Indicate that the forms will be held as evidence should the school's decision be challenged - I bet its the sort of thing Ofsted would jump on. Don't allow some note written on a piece of paper, torn from an exercise book. Lost the form? Give them another. Dead right about GPs, there are now NHS ads going on about potential for missing cancer sufferers. We need GPs checking out patients for potential serious conditions, not filling in stupid forms because the government or whoever can't get its message straight.

Bantamzen

Established Member
All of which is very true, but of little help to the teacher in the classroom who has been told that they must ensure students are wearing masks.

But surely if something isn't necessarily going to be workable in the classroom, teachers should be communicating this back to head teachers?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
But surely if something isn't necessarily going to be workable in the classroom, teachers should be communicating this back to head teachers?
Absolutely but some head teachers are more likely to listen than others (and some are more approachable than others!)

sjpowermac

Established Member
... and hence my earlier post:
I’ve put my points together, along with a few other observations, in an email to the Head. I strongly suspect I won’t get anything meaningful or helpful back. That was certainly my experience in the Autumn and then a colleague ran into difficulties on exactly the points I had made.

Absolutely but some head teachers are more likely to listen than others (and some are more approachable than others!)
Many see changing course as a weakness or will simply say ‘just try your best’.

Bantamzen

Established Member
... and hence my earlier post:
Sorry, I think I missed that earlier post of yours. Its good to know that at least you are trying, not so good that the Head may not listen. Any good manager ought to know that taking on feedback, both good and bad from the front line is vital. If as teachers it becomes difficult & stressful to try to enforce something that is not legally binding, and that may cause teachers additional stress on top of all the pressures being placed on them, Heads should be standing by them not insisting on something like this.

Typhoon

Established Member
Sorry, I think I missed that earlier post of yours. Its good to know that at least you are trying, not so good that the Head may not listen. Any good manager ought to know that taking on feedback, both good and bad from the front line is vital. If as teachers it becomes difficult & stressful to try to enforce something that is not legally binding, and that may cause teachers additional stress on top of all the pressures being placed on them, Heads should be standing by them not insisting on something like this.
There are Academy Trusts with over 30 schools, decisions will probably be made on a Trust basis, even if the Head of the school listens, there is no guarantee that the Executive Head of the Trust will.

Bantamzen

Established Member
There are Academy Trusts with over 30 schools, decisions will probably be made on a Trust basis, even if the Head of the school listens, there is no guarantee that the Executive Head of the Trust will.
Either way, whoever is responsible for the decision making should be listening. The single most important thing is the education & physical / metal wellbeing of our children, not the whims of politicians or worse people entrusted to deliver the best possible learning environment.

Typhoon

Established Member
Either way, whoever is responsible for the decision making should be listening. The single most important thing is the education & physical / metal wellbeing of our children, not the whims of politicians or worse people entrusted to deliver the best possible learning environment.
Absolutely, but the further those in authority are from the coal face the less, I find, they hear what effect their decisions have. Too many academic institutions now pay attention to their image, they listen to Marketing, how is the institution coming across. I spent my working life in education, latterly in a small FE institution, that merged with first one, then another, much larger institution. I was about half way up the food chain which meant that those at the top knew who I was but we were not listened to, I gather that after I left it got worse, new broom and they wouldn't have known me. That is why I took early retirement. With the changes in management structure in schools I just feel that there will be more attention paid to how things look than what effect it has on the students and pupils. There are heads who are still pupil-facing (particularly at primary level) who will put them first but increasingly the person who gives the talk at open day is not the person who ultimately makes the decisions. I went into education because I wanted to help those from the same background as me (working class) do the best they could and get on in life, I left education because I was less and less able to do that.

You are right to highlight mental well-being, there is every chance that this directive (or whatever it is) will lead to bullying in one form or another. That's all you need!

35B

Established Member

I am waiting for my children's schools (secondary) to confirm the full regimes for return after the 8th; details are still emerging. If I look back at what happened in the autumn, both schools made masks part of the uniform, and set rules on when and where they had to be worn in the school; I expect a similar policy to be applied now. There were provisions for exemptions but, as neither of them are eligible, I paid no attention to the details.

Feedback from the kids was that, as usual with uniform policy in their schools, it was enforced robustly but sensibly, and that their classes behaved reasonably within the rules.

They also, together and unprompted, commented that mask wearing in class is likely to make messing around easier as it will be harder for teachers to identify who is making noise. As they have become used in recent months to lessons over Teams, with chat facilities and, for my daughter at least, parallel video calls on Facetime with her friends, I suspect the major challenge for schools will be reintroducing consistent classroom discipline.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
@35B it cannot be treated the same as not wearing a school jumper; the Government has specifically stated children should not be denied education for this reason.

However I fully expect some schools to act in an inappropriate militant fashion and make threats for non compliance.

The Government and some headteachers need to get a grip and stop claiming this is mandatory

nedchester

Established Member
@35B it cannot be treated the same as not wearing a school jumper; the Government has specifically stated children should not be denied education for this reason.

However I fully expect some schools to act in an inappropriate militant fashion and make threats for non compliance.

The Government and some headteachers need to get a grip and stop claiming this is mandatory
Actually it can. Schools can make up rules for whatever they like. Whether it be a school jumper, type or colour of hair or a mask they could be asked to go to a separate room or sent home if they don't comply without good reason.

I am not saying I necessarily agree with the stance about being denied entry into lessons for 'uniform' reasons but they can do it if they with. The Headteacher will just say 'go and find a school which lets you not wear a jumper, have green hair, not wear a mask.

In the classroom I can see real issues for the teacher because pupil A decides they don't want to comply with the school rules then Pupil B decides they don't want to either and so on. A senior teacher passing the classroom sees half the children not complying with the school rules. Who gets the blame? The poor teacher.

Have the Government said that pupils should not be denied education because they have green hair?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Actually it can. Schools can make up rules for whatever they like. Whether it be a school jumper, type or colour of hair or a mask they could be asked to go to a separate room or sent home if they don't comply without good reason.
Except the Government has specifically instructed schools not to do this.

I am not saying I necessarily agree with the stance about being denied entry into lessons for 'uniform' reasons but they can do it if they with. The Headteacher will just say 'go and find a school which lets you not wear a jumper, have green hair, not wear a mask.

In the classroom I can see real issues for the teacher because pupil A decides they don't want to comply with the school rules then Pupil B decides they don't want to either and so on. A senior teacher passing the classroom sees half the children not complying with the school rules. Who gets the blame? The poor teacher.

Have the Government said that pupils should not be denied education because they have green hair?
Nope; if they did, schools would have to change their policies in this regard.

35B

Established Member

@nedchester answers most of it for me, but I'll add two points. The first is that schools are generally expected to follow government policy, which may extend beyond what is legally mandatory; the Department for Education provides copious guidance to schools which is not law, but which schools must generally comply with. "Advice" from government on mask wearing to schools will be within that category; including masks within uniform policy is a straightforward way of implementing that requirement and making it effective throughout the school.

The other is that no one has said that schools are going to deny children an education because they don't wear masks. We had the option of declaring that they were exempt, which we did not choose to take. Had we done so, they would have been educated normally without wearing masks. If a pupil disobeys the school uniform policy by not wearing a mask when required to by that policy, then they are subject to the terms of the school's disciplinary policy - as they would be for any other infraction. As someone working in a school, you will be aware that there can be a process of escalation where rules are broken which may include sending a pupil home. In such situations, schools and local authorities (in England, at least) retain obligations to provide an education to a child, which where the issue escalates to the point of an exclusion need not necessarily be provided in the school. As an aside, my daughter's school has a uniform policy where a pupil may be sent home if her skirt length is outside quite a narrow range; this is routinely and robustly enforced. As a parent, while I do not entirely agree with the detail of that uniform policy, I fully support it's being applied consistently and thoroughly rather than being left entirely to the discretion of individual staff, which tends to leave pupils unclear on what they can or can't do, and makes discipline very arbitrary.

I am not making any observation on whether the policy of mask wearing is or is not correct. I am observing that a school may impose a requirement in it's rules, that those rules may be enforced by the school in accordance with that school's disciplinary policy.

You do your argument no favours by conflating your view of mask wearing with your interpretation of what a school may or may not do within it's policy, or by arguing that the law places limits which it clearly does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.