• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revised EMR Regional Timetables - From 19th June

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDB

The revised EMR reduced timetables have now been operating for 4 weeks. How do people think it’s going?
For those of us that commute to Spondon from the Nottingham direction the answer is terrible.
Even at the height of the lockdown we still got a direct service each way.
It is even more frustrating that on Saturdays they do transfer the missing stops into the "peak" Crewe-Newark service but don't on weekdays!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bunnahabhain

Established Member
170's were used on the line back in Central Trains days and I don't remember them being late. Either their performance has deteriorated or the timetables have less slack than they used to. I'd have thought that the door positions on the 170's would speed up station dwell times on a stopping service, rather than slow them down. Again, in Central Trains days I don't remember door opening and closing procedures causing any problems.
The often lauded door positions have very little relevance on this type of service because passenger numbers at the vast majority of stations aren't high enough for it to make any reasonable difference. The biggest problem facing any train running along the Robin Hood Line in this heat is the constant stop-start nature of the route and the units running around almost constantly under full power in first stage drive. I've known many 15x revert to idle to protect the engine from overheating on the incline from Hucknall to Kirkby in Ashfield, when that happens there is absolutely nothing you can do but hope one or both engines cut back in and allow you to maintain some sort of forward momentum. The issue will be just as bad if not worse with the 170s as they don't throw over until 71 or 72mph and even on the mildest of days their rad fans seem to be on overdrive keeping the engine cool.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The often lauded door positions have very little relevance on this type of service because passenger numbers at the vast majority of stations aren't high enough for it to make any reasonable difference. The biggest problem facing any train running along the Robin Hood Line in this heat is the constant stop-start nature of the route and the units running around almost constantly under full power in first stage drive. I've known many 15x revert to idle to protect the engine from overheating on the incline from Hucknall to Kirkby in Ashfield, when that happens there is absolutely nothing you can do but hope one or both engines cut back in and allow you to maintain some sort of forward momentum. The issue will be just as bad if not worse with the 170s as they don't throw over until 71 or 72mph and even on the mildest of days their rad fans seem to be on overdrive keeping the engine cool.
In theory 170s are supposed to be capable of half minute dwells, but that's quite ambitious in most circumstances. I suspect the performance is the bigger issue as you allude to; 170s simply aren't designed for that kind of slow, stop-start running.

ChrisC

Established Member
In theory 170s are supposed to be capable of half minute dwells, but that's quite ambitious in most circumstances. I suspect the performance is the bigger issue as you allude to; 170s simply aren't designed for that kind of slow, stop-start running.
Whatever the current time keeping problem is on the Robin Hood Line it needs sorting out quickly before passengers give up and use the bus or tram. I don’t know if it was a 170 on the route today, but even on a Sunday, when there’s only roughly a 2 hourly service between Nottingham and Mansfield Woodhouse, trains were losing time with delays in excess of 10 minutes by the end of their journey. Very little excuse for delays due to the single line section on a Sunday.

Established Member
Whatever the current time keeping problem is on the Robin Hood Line it needs sorting out quickly before passengers give up and use the bus or tram. I don’t know if it was a 170 on the route today, but even on a Sunday, when there’s only roughly a 2 hourly service between Nottingham and Mansfield Woodhouse, trains were losing time with delays in excess of 10 minutes by the end of their journey. Very little excuse for delays due to the single line section on a Sunday.
I'm wondering if any of the delays at the moment are to do with possible heat related speed restrictions. Looking at RTT for today and yesterday the delays started later in the morning and tailed off in the evening. The first two trips today were basically within a minute all the way except waiting to arrive into Nottingham on the second return.

I don't believe it is all down to the 170's as when comparing with the December 2015 timetable (only one I have) almost all the comparable Worksop journeys seem to be timetabled a few mins less end to end and then add in the extra stops due to running hourly is will be likely that the service will then run late.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I'm wondering if any of the delays at the moment are to do with possible heat related speed restrictions. Looking at RTT for today and yesterday the delays started later in the morning and tailed off in the evening. The first two trips today were basically within a minute all the way except waiting to arrive into Nottingham on the second return.

I don't believe it is all down to the 170's as when comparing with the December 2015 timetable (only one I have) almost all the comparable Worksop journeys seem to be timetabled a few mins less end to end and then add in the extra stops due to running hourly is will be likely that the service will then run late.
I think the issue is in the sectional running times if I'm totally honest. There have been issues up there for years and I can't remember the old WTT to be able to compare it to the new WTT, but certainly until the May TT change it was somewhat more reliable at maintaining the schedule than now, even though there were sections where you were guaranteed to lose time.

DDB

I got told by the bus driver this morning that the Spondon replacement bus service is being withdrawn at the end of the week.

Does anyone know if that is because we are getting some trains or have EMR done the full Beeching and run a bus service that they haven't advertised, (it still isn't on their website or station posters), done a passenger survey in the middle of the pingdemic and then withdrawn it due to lack of use?

Jozhua

Established Member
I got my first train down to Matlock in a while - outbound took a long time but was mostly okay.

However, going back was already running a reduced service so no half 9 train. Half 8 was a bit early and half 10 offered a better connection, so thought I'd stay a bit longer and play some wii with my friends.

Anyway, gets to 9pm and I check the times and all the rest of the trains have been cancelled (10:13 and 11:15 were both cancelled) - got EMR to get me a taxi to Derby, now waiting for my change to Nottingham. I would like to be able to see my friends this summer, but as usual, the railways have stopped working just in time for my arrival back in the Midlands lmao...

Sounds like it's all unravelling with strikes and the 170's. They do accelerate pretty slowly to be fair, or maybe they just don't make as much noise as the 156's. I was surprised how slowly they took off though.

Express380

Sorry to be slightly off topic here but will this timetable continue into December/Jan if not does anyone know what the frequency will roughly be? Thank you

Failed Unit

Established Member
Sorry to be slightly off topic here but will this timetable continue into December/Jan if not does anyone know what the frequency will roughly be? Thank you
Officially it will be back to normal from December. Some trains already make a last minute get Reinstated at short notice. 1645 Lincoln - Newark is one that runs but should officially. Again EMR say they will reintroduce services before December if possible. I would expect to see improvements after September (subject to COVID)

Still notice Lincolnshire is very 15x heavy so the competences on the 170s cant be where the need it to be.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Still notice Lincolnshire is very 15x heavy so the competences on the 170s cant be where the need it to be.
Do any of the timetables elsewhere on EMR require the better running times of 170s? I imagine in Lincolnshire there isn't much running faster than 75mph but elsewhere there may be timings that require a 100mph unit.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Do any of the timetables elsewhere on EMR require the better running times of 170s? I imagine in Lincolnshire there isn't much running faster than 75mph but elsewhere there may be timings that require a 100mph unit.
It is an interesting question, but I don't think so.

From what I have seen the first routes to go over should be.
Worksop - Nottingham (I assume for 3 car running but from what people are saying on various threads they are not keeping up time, something that I don't recall as a problem under CT)
Leicester - Grimsby. The only place they can get about 75mph on this route is South / West of Nottingham, however considering the stopping pattern I think that is unlike.

I have not notice any difference in times between when the service is operated by a 156 over a 170.

Again I am sure train crew will correct me, but the only large routes with lots of 90mph running is Norwich - Liverpool which currently is planned to stay with 158s and the other regional routes getting the 170s.

I have used the joint line a few times (although on 156s) since the timetable change, it is noticeably quicker, but still at 75mph.

It is interesting that a lot of the regional services are "Pathed as Class 158/168/170/175" - So I don't know if their acceleration is better then the 156, but even back in CT days when local services could present 156, 158, 170 you could tell the difference end to end. The 153s were slower but that was because dwell times increase because of the overcrowding associated with them.

SteveyBee131

It is an interesting question, but I don't think so.

From what I have seen the first routes to go over should be.
Worksop - Nottingham (I assume for 3 car running but from what people are saying on various threads they are not keeping up time, something that I don't recall as a problem under CT)
Leicester - Grimsby. The only place they can get about 75mph on this route is South / West of Nottingham, however considering the stopping pattern I think that is unlike.

I have not notice any difference in times between when the service is operated by a 156 over a 170.

Again I am sure train crew will correct me, but the only large routes with lots of 90mph running is Norwich - Liverpool which currently is planned to stay with 158s and the other regional routes getting the 170s.

I have used the joint line a few times (although on 156s) since the timetable change, it is noticeably quicker, but still at 75mph.

It is interesting that a lot of the regional services are "Pathed as Class 158/168/170/175" - So I don't know if their acceleration is better then the 156, but even back in CT days when local services could present 156, 158, 170 you could tell the difference end to end. The 153s were slower but that was because dwell times increase because of the overcrowding associated with them.
Note for Grimsby-Leicester... Grimsby to Wrawby Junction is 60, Wrawby Junction to (just outside Lincoln) is 90, with only one stop at Market Rasen which should usually allow for some higher speeds.

louis97

Established Member
Note for Grimsby-Leicester... Grimsby to Wrawby Junction is 60, Wrawby Junction to (just outside Lincoln) is 90, with only one stop at Market Rasen which should usually allow for some higher speeds.
The line speed from Wrawby Junction to Lincoln does not go above 75mph.

SteveyBee131

My apologies, I'm sure I've clocked trains along that line going over 75, but I must've remembered wrong (far from impossible! :lol: :oops:
However, that aside, it is still a long enough, level or level-ish stretch of line for sustained 75mph running, which means it still stands as an addition in reply to @ Failed Unit's brief summary of the route.

Mugby

Established Member
Still cancellations even with the severely reduced timetables. A couple of Crewe journeys cut on Saturday afternoon leaving a 4 hour gap in each direction.

Yesterday (Monday) last train of the day from Skegness to Nottingham cancelled. Wonder if they made any alternative arrangements!

LowLevel

Established Member
Still cancellations even with the severely reduced timetables. A couple of Crewe journeys cut on Saturday afternoon leaving a 4 hour gap in each direction.

Yesterday (Monday) last train of the day from Skegness to Nottingham cancelled. Wonder if they made any alternative arrangements!

Constant pinging, basically, both drivers and guards as well as other grades. Buses are covering where possible.

The control has been similarly affected on occasion but of course that's a bit less obvious to the public.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi - posting this in this thread as it seems sort of the right place - but happy for it to be moved if required.
Anyway - I've seen some 3 car 170s on Nottingham to Skegness and back runs, and I'm heading that way tomorrow weds 18th.

Just wondered if anyone knows which diagrams the 170s are on, on the Skegness route, if any?

LowLevel

Established Member
Hi - posting this in this thread as it seems sort of the right place - but happy for it to be moved if required.
Anyway - I've seen some 3 car 170s on Nottingham to Skegness and back runs, and I'm heading that way tomorrow weds 18th.

Just wondered if anyone knows which diagrams the 170s are on, on the Skegness route, if any?
Booked to work the 07xx, 12xx and 17xx departures from Nottingham but can be subbed with a 15x.

cnjb8

Established Member
Why aren't EMR allocating some of the 170s to the Norwich-Liverpool route? Seems like an easy fix for the stop start issues

oddiesjack

Is the EMR ECS service that overtakes a Northern Manchester to Sheffield service at New Mills South Junction around 2200 now cancelled? Each time I have been on that Northern stopper recently we have sailed through the junction and arrived at Chinley 10-12 minutes early. Great for us who get off at Chinley, but probably quite frustrating for any of the stops beyond there. As it does a bit of skip stopping through the Hope Valley, one would think that the extended stay be removed , missed stops be reintroduced and still have an on time arrival at Sheffield

clagmonster

Established Member
Why aren't EMR allocating some of the 170s to the Norwich-Liverpool route? Seems like an easy fix for the stop start issues
As far as I know Norwich crews haven't learnt then yet. I suppose there will be the odd out and back with Nottingham crew but it would need very careful diagramming.

LowLevel

Established Member
As far as I know Norwich crews haven't learnt then yet. I suppose there will be the odd out and back with Nottingham crew but it would need very careful diagramming.

They're in progress at the minute, there's a unit based in Norwich during the week for it and has been for a couple of months.

jfollows

Established Member
Is the EMR ECS service that overtakes a Northern Manchester to Sheffield service at New Mills South Junction around 2200 now cancelled? Each time I have been on that Northern stopper recently we have sailed through the junction and arrived at Chinley 10-12 minutes early. Great for us who get off at Chinley, but probably quite frustrating for any of the stops beyond there. As it does a bit of skip stopping through the Hope Valley, one would think that the extended stay be removed , missed stops be reintroduced and still have an on time arrival at Sheffield
The ECS was turned into a passenger service, mis-timetabled, then rerouted via Stockport, and then cancelled "temporarily" back in June. See #38

Killingworth

Established Member
I'm afraid cheap is a good description of the service now being provided on the Liverpool- Norwich, but the fares are anything but cheap between Sheffield and Manchester.

8 years ago Network Rail were suggesting that section would be seeing 4 fast trains an hour from December 2018. By 2015 it had become 3. By 2020 it had been delayed to 2023.

In 2021 we haven't even a quality and reliable 2 trains an hour thanks to EMR's cancellations, short forms, and late running, compounded by the use of 156s. Unfortunately EMR are currently the poor relation on the route. That's a shame because 3 years ago an on time 4 coach 158 with catering trolley throughout was a better bet than a 3 coach TPE 185, or a Northern Pacer.

The pandemic is obscuring a lot of things but those who feared the loss of Stagecoach control seem to be being proved right.

js1000

I'm afraid cheap is a good description of the service now being provided on the Liverpool- Norwich, but the fares are anything but cheap between Sheffield and Manchester.

8 years ago Network Rail were suggesting that section would be seeing 4 fast trains an hour from December 2018. By 2015 it had become 3. By 2020 it had been delayed to 2023.

In 2021 we haven't even a quality and reliable 2 trains an hour thanks to EMR's cancellations, short forms, and late running, compounded by the use of 156s. Unfortunately EMR are currently the poor relation on the route. That's a shame because 3 years ago an on time 4 coach 158 with catering trolley throughout was a better bet than a 3 coach TPE 185, or a Northern Pacer.

The pandemic is obscuring a lot of things but those who feared the loss of Stagecoach control seem to be being proved right.
It is ironic that the Hope Valley line now has plush Class 195s compared to the Pacers only a year or so again. Likewise the EMR service between Sheffield and Manchester has gone from the best to non-existent in the same time frame.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

2-car EMR was common even pre-COVID. To the extent that I used to text my mate who relied on it Manchester to Widnes, whenever I saw his train passing Heaton Chapel as I got off my train, whether it was one of the following:

4-car and all of the newer version (he doesn't know many types)
4-car but front/rear/all (the latter being fortunately extremely rare) of the older version
2-car of either version in which case he took the Northern as at least it started in Manchester so he'd be guaranteed a seat. I think a pogo stick would've been more pleasant than 2-car pre-COVID.

Plus ça change.

Jozhua

Established Member
Took another trip to Matlock...spending half my journeys waiting at stations...

When I arrived in Derby on platform 4a, I saw a sign saying my train to Nottingham was on platform 4b. I see an EMR 156 on the platform and think "nice, convenient!". Anyway, at 6pm the conductor makes an announcement apologising for the delayed departure for this service to crewe. I think he must have got something wrong - this is the Nottingham train after all!

Then I get up and run to see an XC 170 pulling out of 4B towards Nottingham.

How the hell anyone is able to make sense of three trains being on a single platform (which is only divided into two), I have no idea - especially with no proper announcements, etc.

I'm just going to avoid doing this too often until the direct service to Nottingham is reinstated. But I'm not holding my breath that this will actually happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.