• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route and line sections - "cool" names

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I particularly like the Guildford New Line. Especially as it opened in 1891 and is now anything but new. To be fair it was new at the time if opening. It begs the question, at what point in time is a line no longer new?

There is of course the Quarry Line, which by passes Coulsdon South and passes through the site of Coulsdon North station.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
Unusual to find a line named after a road - are there others?

In Glasgow, the Argyle Line takes it's name from the city's Argyle Street, under which it runs from Anderston to immediately south of Argyle St station, directly underneath where Argyle St terminates/starts at the Trongate/Glassford & Stockwell St junction.

tsr

Established Member
Less exotic but nonetheless "interesting" names around Battersea / Clapham etc. include the Cabbage Patch at Stewarts Lane (a train berthing location), the Pig Hill siding used by NR at Clapham Junction, and of course Pug's Hole (just outside Victoria). Other areas of London, likewise - the Backing Out Roads at Euston, for example.

Selhurst Depot has some interesting names for sidings - the groups include Chalk, AC (which doesn't have an AC test rig, unlike the approach to the New Shed) and Field, as well as the Coal Road on the north side of the yard.

I quite like the name of the "Cliftonville Spur" near Hove, and the Carriage Road at Brighton. Fun fact - I've only ever been Down the Carriage Road, not Up!

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
I particularly like the Guildford New Line. Especially as it opened in 1891 and is now anything but new. To be fair it was new at the time if opening. It begs the question, at what point in time is a line no longer new?

It's a long way behind the New Forest, at 900+ years old.

DelW

Established Member
Although not a 'line' as such, how about Junction Road Junction?!

I always liked the chicken-and-egg circularity of that one as well. Though I did eventually search out the origin of the name, and found that logically enough, the road name predated the railway.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Throstle Nest Junction (not sure if two words or three) - outside Manchester Central - pity I never saw or used it.

Many of the names on the WCML and S&C sound wildly exotic to me - places like Garstang & Caterall and Batty Moss Viaduct. Just imagine a lonely 8F battling against the grade surrounded by windswept moor under leaden skies.

DelW

Established Member
Also Junction Road Junction in north London - the road was there first but I'm not sure how that got its name (canal junction?).

IIRC, because it joined the old route north out of London, via Camden and Highgate, to the then-new alignment via what is now Archway Road. That was an easier hill for horses than going via either of the southern approaches to Highgate village.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Moving slightly off line names , but Canton Brickyard Siding and Milk Depot sounds good - along with the Western Mail Siding - (some of the daily needs encompassed within a quarter of a mile)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
From the OP's examples, we're talking about official names for specific track sections.

BTW, when did "The Mule" come in? Not come across it till the last few days.

Thank you for singling my post out to criticise re routes out among many others on the thread whether official or unofficial.
Nobody seems to be able to pinpoint a date regarding "The Mule" but seems to go back to the 70s and given the name by spotters but nobody seems to know an actual reason why.

snowball

Established Member

A lot of things in Britain that have "new" in their name are not very new. Three notable examples are the New Forest, Newcastle upon Tyne, and New College, Oxford.

Veteran Member
Thank you for singling my post out to criticise re routes out among many others on the thread whether official or unofficial.

You were simply the first, not intended to be personal, sorry.

Others have followed.

Thanks for explaining the Mule, though I still don't get the derivation.

GW43125

Established Member
"Slowhounds"-Hounslow Loop, as in normal service (almost) everything is a stopper and it takes forever!

CC 72100

Established Member
Also moving away from lines per se, 'Silly Bridge' between Didcot and Reading always amuses me.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
You were simply the first, not intended to be personal, sorry.

Others have followed.

Thanks for explaining the Mule, though I still don't get the derivation.

Thanks. No problem, perhaps I didn't grasp the exact title of the thread

sk688

Don't know if this strictly answers the questions , but Ive always liked the names Ashendon Junction and Aynho Junction , and think those names are cool , as well as Grendon Underwood Cut off line , but not sure what that is now

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Don't know if this strictly answers the questions , but Ive always liked the names Ashendon Junction and Aynho Junction , and think those names are cool , as well as Grendon Underwood Cut off line , but not sure what that is now

Of course, the true 'cut off' line runs between Lewisham and Tonbridge.

iknowyeah

Again, not a running line but 'Green Meadow Junction' on the Rose Hill branch is a lovely name

the sniper

Established Member
I wouldn't say 'cool', but I've always liked that the lines between Aston and Bushbury Junction (north of Wolverhampton) are officially still called the 'Up/Down Grand Junction' lines, in reference to the original company that built it, the Grand Junction Railway.

RichJF

Windmill Bridge Junction: I half expect to see a big windmill in the middle of Croydon!

Silkstream Junction: Hendon.

LowLevel

Established Member
Up until the late 2000s the Barnetby lines out of Lincoln were the Up and Down GC which I always thought rather lovely as a reminder of the past. Sadly Network Rail has a policy of naming lines by destination now so they're the Up and Down Barnetby at present.

I've always wondered why platform 3 at Sleaford retains the designation 'Up and Down Local' as well.

Waldgrun

I will add to the mix, "The Baltic Siding" at Winchester which is/was at the London end of the down platform, which I believe was given its name due to the fact that timber from the Baltic area was unloaded there in the distant past!
This was at one time used to reverse the service which ran between Portsmouth & Winchester, seem to think that this was in the early 90's.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
The Klondyke Sidings

- apparently so called due to the 'gold' to be found when carriage cleaners were sweeping out cars after the rush ours.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member

There is of course the Quarry Line, which by passes Coulsdon South and passes through the site of Coulsdon North station.

This comment made me think of the New North Main Line. It's not new (but it was at the time), it's not in the north (it's in West London) and it's most certainly not a main line.

Status
Not open for further replies.