• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route and line sections - "cool" names

Status
Not open for further replies.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Again, not a running line but 'Green Meadow Junction' on the Rose Hill branch is a lovely name

Agreed. Glad it isn't a modern name, because then it would smack of corporate PR, sound-nice 'made-upism'.

It made me think of Bay Horse, but I've forgotten where it is. WCML, somewhere near Lancaster, perhaps?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I offer you Oldham Mumps - that has to trump most out there, surely? :lol:

Raise you Oldham Clegg Street (can imagine a gas light , run down station , with wooden footbridge and soot stained walls) ....was this true.

Enroute to Vitriol Works ....*

(*some nasty chemical which I believe was used by Victorian footpads on robbery missions)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Boar's Head Junction feels very Old English (was on the WCML north of Wigan).
I also liked Whitchurch Cambrian Jn as the start of an exotic line into Wales.
There's still Daisyfield Jn at Blackburn (no fields in sight!).
And Skew Bridge Jn near Preston.

Throstle Nest Jn on the CLC at near Cornbrook was named after the adjacent bridge over the Bridgewater Canal, dating from a century earlier - and still there, it's name visible from Pomona Metrolink station.
It's difficult to believe that was the site of Pomona Pleasure Gardens, intended to rival Vauxhall Gardens in London.

In Warrington, Quail has a New Found Out siding (OOU) near The Hole, and on the opposite side of the WCML is Grid Iron Feeding Jn.
Down past Arpley Jn is a Jockey Lane siding.

Of course we have a good new name on the WCML with Searchlight Lane Jn, which is effectively Norton Bridge Jn, on the new deviation.

snowball

Established Member
Stoat's Nest and Throstle Nest have already been mentioned. There's also Crow Nest Junction (not named after the late Bob).

PeterY

Established Member
I always thought the London Overground line between London Euston and Watford Jct was called the "new lines", nowadays referred to as the DC lines.

neilb62

Bobby and Charlie Goods lines at Carlisle often raise a chuckle, and how far from Wapping are Carlisle High Wapping Sdgs?

Status
Not open for further replies.