• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail - Trainee Driver - Various (March 24)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hepburn40

I think your overthinking it. In reality trains can stop unscheduled and do all the time and it's perfectly safe because the signalling system will protect your train and won't allow a train past the previous signal you passed as it will remain at red (providing the driver is obeying the signals) . I appreciate that does require railway knowledge but just FYI
Thank you

watty30000

Re the stopping your train and going to the toilet, and this is genuine curiosity not trying to question anyone’s choice of answer!
That would work easily on a 170/158, open your door and walk back into the passenger saloon to the loo. Is there a way from the driving cab to the coaches on a HST or would you have to put the hi vis on, get out the cab, walk back etc etc?

DavidAtkin

For mine I'm sure there was no option to stop apart from a break for 5 mins or I would have selected any option which referred to not continuing duty absolutely.
Yeah maybe am thinking of a different question but am sure there was an option to stop and next station.

Yeah maybe am thinking of a different question but am sure there was an option to stop and next station.
At**

WF4HA5HE

Re the stopping your train and going to the toilet, and this is genuine curiosity not trying to question anyone’s choice of answer!
That would work easily on a 170/158, open your door and walk back into the passenger saloon to the loo. Is there a way from the driving cab to the coaches on a HST or would you have to put the hi vis on, get out the cab, walk back etc etc?
You can walk through the engine room on HST and into the passenger coach from the cab.

Yeah maybe am thinking of a different question but am sure there was an option to stop and next station
I suspect its the same question but worded differently and similar but not the exact same 4 option. To stop people from sharing the questions around.

I know but there was an option to stop at the next station?
I went with stop at the next station and get out the cab for fresh air. They leave the questions very vague. I suppose it depends on how fatigued you were!. Also could argue that the next station is 45 minutes away. Not enough information to be fair

DavidAtkin

I went with stop at the next station and get out the cab for fresh air. They leave the questions very vague. I suppose it depends on how fatigued you were!. Also could argue that the next station is 45 minutes away. Not enough information to be fair
Yeah exactly. It’s definitely subjective to each person doing the test

watty30000

You can walk through the engine room on HST and into the passenger coach from the cab.

I suspect its the same question but worded differently and similar but not the exact same 4 option. To stop people from sharing the questions around.
Cheers, wasn’t sure if that would be allowed while the engine was running because I’m gonna assume it would be rather bloody loud!
But re the question, I agree both the question and the given responses are very vague.

WF4HA5HE

Cheers, wasn’t sure if that would be allowed while the engine was running because I’m gonna assume it would be rather bloody loud!
But re the question, I agree both the question and the given responses are very vague.
I agree the answers are very subjective and its obviously more of a personality and character test rather then understanding of the railway.

chuff chuff

Hot not a lot of room and the fire suppressant system. They don't like you going through when the engine is running incase the suppressant goes off.
The outside route ain't great either,you'd need to find the door you can open from outside and then the climb in is only easy for primates.

ls82

I think I may have messed up one of the questions in the situational judgement test. Could anyone give me their opinion now that people have completed it, so I can stop thinking about it. For the question about wavering concentration, I said that I would stop the train for 5 minutes, go to the toilet and put cold water on my face. I'm now worried that this could be a big no no. Any opinions, gratefully recieved!
I'm worried now I think your answer could be right I chose stop the train at the next stop 30mins.was quite tricky felt like you don't have much time to think between the questions I thought my answer at the time was a sensible one to choose not sure now anyway cross fingers

sktt25

I think for that question on the SJT they just wouldn't want you to say that you would continue on permanently without solving your issue of fatigue. I think as long as you put that as your last option the other three answers are probably interchangeable.

Dmcb

I'm guessing it will be the standard wait again as has been with all the online tests so far for results? Roughly a week to 10 days?

DavidAtkin

I'm worried now I think your answer could be right I chose stop the train at the next stop 30mins.was quite tricky felt like you don't have much time to think between the questions I thought my answer at the time was a sensible one to choose not sure now anyway cross fin

I'm guessing it will be the standard wait again as has been with all the online tests so far for results? Roughly a week to 10 days?
Probably will be mate, even though it’s online they will probably still look over everyone’s I’d imagine

Probably will be mate, even though it’s online they will probably still look over everyone’s I’d imagine, also if you done the test soon as they sent the email might get it faster than others.

jmccallion93

Has anyone tried to do SJT tests tonight? Just went to log on and says the site is down for maintenance. Anyone any idea how long this will last?

DavidAtkin

Has anyone tried to do SJT tests tonight? Just went to log on and says the site is down for maintenance. Anyone any idea how long this will last?
I would imagine they would have to be pretty quick with the maintenance as they will know people have assessments to complete for deadlines.

Glasgow74

I’ve not got my sjt test to safe I’ve not been selected
I did mine on the 8th and i haven't heard back either. I'm assuming I've not made the grade.

There's been no change to my application status on the portal either . I'm not sure if that's Scotrail normal approach or they're too busy to get round to notifying people .

WF4HA5HE

I did mine on the 8th and i haven't heard back either. I'm assuming I've not made the grade.

There's been no change to my application status on the portal either . I'm not sure if that's Scotrail normal approach or they're too busy to get round to notifying people .
This was one of my concerns when u didn't receive the email when everyone else did. You'd have thought they could send even an automated email saying thank you for applying but you havnt made the grade. Just as an acknowledgement and it makes for a better candidate experience. I've read some threads of here where somepeople say they can't even bother applying for certain TOCS because you literally never hears anything after submitting the application. Candidate experience does matter.

I think for that question on the SJT they just wouldn't want you to say that you would continue on permanently without solving your issue of fatigue. I think as long as you put that as your last option the other three answers are probably interchangeable.
I agree because really non of the answers were particularly appropriate if you were feeling fatigued but im sure one of the option said something like "stop the train, go for a walk, wash your face with cold water AND say outloud what you are doing to help maintain focus" speaking your actions outloud is a technique drivers use called commentary driving. The idea of it is if you are saying outloud what you are doing before you do it therefore your less likely to inadvertently make a mistake and do something wrong because your not focusing. Although that requires railway knowledge to understand it could be what they are looking for?

Last edited:

DavidAtkin

This was one of my concerns when u didn't receive the email when everyone else did. You'd have thought they could send even an automated email saying thank you for applying but you havnt made the grade. Just as an acknowledgement and it makes for a better candidate experience. I've read some threads of here where somepeople say they can't even bother applying for certain TOCS because you literally never hears anything after submitting the application. Candidate experience does matter.

I agree because really non of the answers were particularly appropriate if you were feeling fatigued but im sure one of the option said something like "stop the train, go for a walk, wash your face with cold water AND say outloud what you are doing to help maintain focus" speaking your actions outloud is a technique drivers use called commentary driving. The idea of it is if you are saying outloud what you are doing before you do it therefore your less likely to inadvertently make a mistake and do something wrong because your not focusing. Although that requires railway knowledge to understand it could be what they are looking for?
It could be but I wouldn’t expect them to think people know that it’s a driver technique tbh. Am not saying it’s wrong as I think same as above long as you didn’t put ( carry on and your experience will get you through) other 1s could be interchangeable

Dmcb

What's everyone's opinions on the questions that were asked for sjt, do you think they were slightly worded differently? Just from reading the above, I'm getting that vibe.

station id

I didn't put that i'd stop the train so we'll see what happens with mine. I'm pretty sure it'll be scored overall and that will decide if I go through or not. I'd be really surprised if one wrong question can kill your chances at this stage if the rest were ok.

I do wish I'd chosen to do my test today though, after reading this lol.

I've never worked on the railway before so to be honest I didn't expect to get through the initial application.

DavidAtkin

What's everyone's opinions on the questions that were asked for sjt, do you think they were slightly worded differently? Just from reading the above, I'm getting that vibe.
100% that’s my thinking also, it will be so you can’t share questions online

I didn't put that i'd stop the train so we'll see what happens with mine. I'm pretty sure it'll be scored overall and that will decide if I go through or not. I'd be really surprised if one wrong question can kill your chances at this stage if the rest were ok.

I do wish I'd chosen to do my test today though, after reading this lol.

I've never worked on the railway before so to be honest I didn't expect to get through the initial application.
If you don’t mind me asking what did you put first ? As I would say most are interchangeable

station id

100% that’s my thinking also, it will be so you can’t share questions online

If you don’t mind me asking what did you put first ? As I would say most are interchangeable
I can't remember. Apart from that one the others were pretty similar from what I remember.