• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail - Trainee Driver - Various (March 24)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ls82

I'd probably say make sure you read the practice material and don't overthink the questions. They are designed to assess your character and suitability for the role overthinking or putting what you think they want to hear will just catch you out. You want to make sure you are focusing on speed and accuracy. You need to be a critical thinker to be a driver but also have to assess things quickly. Good luck
Thank You for advice crossing my fingers I get through this one.

I've just completed the final online question for situational judgement test has anyone else completed there test too.fingers crossed I have passed good luck to everyone

Last edited:

DavidAtkin

Do you have a link to the recruitment portal? I didn't know there was such a thing! I'm through to the assessments but don't have a date yet (this was 2022 recruitment drive).I received

It said at the start of the questions that scoring is automatic so its surprising the results haven’t been sent out yet. They should have been able to email a result more or less instantly when the finish test button was pushed.
I received and email on Friday from OPC saying congratulations on passing the initial tests. I now have to complete another test which was timed , just completed it , has anyone else received this ?

WF4HA5HE

I received and email on Friday from OPC saying congratulations on passing the initial tests. I now have to complete another test which was timed , just completed it , has anyone else received this ?
Ye alot of people have started to receive the second assessment but all at different times it seems. The email didn't seem to go out in one batch.

DavidAtkin

Thank You for advice crossing my fingers I get through this one.

I've just completed the final online question for situational judgement test has anyone else completed there test too.fingers crossed I have passed good luck to everyone
I just completed mines today. Received the email on Friday for final test. I know of someone who applied for a trainee driver job just before covid, and he was invited to the assessment centre last week for testing not sure how the recruitment works.

Ye alot of people have started to receive the second assessment but all at different times it seems. The email didn't seem to go out in one batch.
Yeah was thinking that, am assuming next stage will be assessment centre if lucky enough to get that far

WF4HA5HE

I just completed mines today. Received the email on Friday for final test. I know of someone who applied for a trainee driver job just before covid, and he was invited to the assessment centre last week for testing not sure how the recruitment works
Ye I've heard that a few times, they are only in the last few weeks getting round to people who applied in 2019 which seems bonkers but it shows how backed up the recruitment is. Also lasts years recruitment drive (2023 trainee scotrail driver) never heard anything except for the "thank you for applying" email apparently from what I've heard.
Yeah was thinking that, am assuming next stage will be assessment centre if lucky enough to get that far
I think it would be a driver manager interview next then the assessment centre unless scotrail do it the other way round. But be prepared to be in this for the long haul if you pass this latest assessment lol. Best of luck.

Last edited:

DavidAtkin

Ye I've heard that a few times, they are only in the last few weeks getting round to people who applied in 2019 which seems bonkers but it shows how backed up the recruitment is. Also lasts years recruitment drive (2023 trainee scotrail driver) never heard anything except for the "thank you for applying" email apparently from what I've heard.

I think it would be a driver manager interview next then the assessment centre unless scotrail do it the other way round. But be prepared to be in this for the long haul if you pass this latest assessment lol. Best of luck.
Not sure how it works myself , just thought it would be assessment centre then formal interview. Yeah from what am reading it’s definitely long haul lol. Thanks and best of luck to you also.

I completed mine on the same date and put very similiar answers to you, giving it til Monday/ Tuesday and then accepting I’ve been unsuccessful.
I done mines on the 12th heard back Friday 22nd so 10 days later, still hope yet. It seems to be a long process tbh.

Last edited:

WF4HA5HE

I done mines on the 12th heard back Friday 22nd so 10 days later, still hope yet. It seems to be a long process tbh.
Ye driver vacancies are known for talking a long time, I'd say if you complete the process within 6 months and get put in a talent pool (not a job offer just a talent pool) you have genuinely done extremely well it's not uncommon for these things to take a year plus. Did you get any indication how long it would be now till you heard back from this latest assessment I heard some people saying it said it would be a few weeks but I'm not sure if that's their opinion/previous experience.

DavidAtkin

Ye driver vacancies are known for talking a long time, I'd say if you complete the process within 6 months and get put in a talent pool (not a job offer just a talent pool) you have genuinely done extremely well it's not uncommon for these things to take a year plus. Did you get any indication how long it would be now till you heard back from this latest assessment I heard some people saying it said it would be a few weeks but I'm not sure if that's their opinion/previous experience.
Nope no indication as to how long it would take to hear back again. I’d imagine it would be a few weeks at least with the amount of people that actually apply for these roles.

WF4HA5HE

Nope no indication as to how long it would take to hear back again. I’d imagine it would be a few weeks at least with the amount of people that actually apply for these roles.
To be honest OPC will know instantly if you've made the grade of not because it's all online but from previous experience after you complete all the online assessments the email comes from the TOC themselves.

DavidAtkin

To be honest OPC will know instantly if you've made the grade of not because it's all online but from previous experience after you complete all the online assessments the email comes from the TOC themselv
To be honest OPC will know instantly if you've made the grade of not because it's all online but from previous experience after you complete all the online assessments the email comes from the TOC themselves.
Have you applied before ?

WF4HA5HE

Have you applied before ?
Not for scotrail but for another TOC where the online assessments were virtually the same. Three assessments then one more if you pass the first three and then about 2 weeks later I heard from the TOC themselves. Unfortunately I didn't pass that time.

DavidAtkin

Not for scotrail but for another TOC where the online assessments were virtually the same. Three assessments then one more if you pass the first three and then about 2 weeks later I heard from the TOC themselves. Unfortunately I didn't pass that time.
Probably be the same timescale as before I would imagine. Just a waiting game to see if successful or not. Hopefully successful this time round. It’s a very sought after job , any idea how many jobs are available? I think I seen somewhere saying 160 or something but that’s across the board not just trainee drivers. I stay close to the new cadder servicing Depot always walking along doing some train spotting lol.

WF4HA5HE

Probably be the same timescale as before I would imagine. Just a waiting game to see if successful or not. Hopefully successful this time round. It’s a very sought after job , any idea how many jobs are available? I think I seen somewhere saying 160 or something but that’s across the board not just trainee drivers. I stay close to the new cadder servicing Depot always walking along doing some train spotting lol.
Because its across all depots it would be hard to get an accurate number especially considering some depots like Fort william, Mallaig, Kyle are gonna have single digit numbers of vacancies combined (if any at all) compared to Edinburgh and Glasgow who might have 20 each. I would hate for someone to go through the process, actually get through then be told your Depot has no vacancies, I presume you would be placed in a talent pool.

DavidAtkin

Because its across all depots it would be hard to get an accurate number especially considering some depots like Fort william, Mallaig, Kyle are gonna have single digit numbers of vacancies combined (if any at all) compared to Edinburgh and Glasgow who might have 20 each. I would hate for someone to go through the process, actually get through then be told your Depot has no vacancies, I presume you would be placed in a talent pool.
Yeah it’s just ifs buts and maybes atm. As you said I’d imagine obviously Glasgow/Edinburgh would have the vast majority of jobs on offer. You probably will be put into talent pool until the next recruitment drive came around if no jobs available in your region. Supposedly there’s loads of people retiring by 2030 so ideally they would like to train loads of people up before then. So think the recruitment drive will be for the next few years anyway.

WF4HA5HE

Yeah it’s just ifs buts and maybes atm. As you said I’d imagine obviously Glasgow/Edinburgh would have the vast majority of jobs on offer. You probably will be put into talent pool until the next recruitment drive came around if no jobs available in your region. Supposedly there’s loads of people retiring by 2030 so ideally they would like to train loads of people up before then. So think the recruitment drive will be for the next few years anyway.
Just completed the second assessment myself now and I feel completely 50/50 about it.

WF4HA5HE

Long as you went with your gut feeling and not second guess yourself should be fine. Some very awkward questions and answers to pick from.
I did go with my gut feeling and if I fail then fair enough atleast I had a go but it will bug me for weeks wanting to know what the correct answers are lol. FYI i understand the whole point of the test is to assess your character and suitability for the role and obviously the questions are subjective but still.

DavidAtkin

I did go with my gut feeling and if I fail then fair enough atleast I had a go but it will bug me for weeks wanting to know what the correct answers are lol. FYI i understand the whole point of the test is to assess your character and suitability for the role and obviously the questions are subjective but still.
Exactly long as everyone does them self that’s what they’re looking for. Any idea when the course starts for the 2024 class ?

WF4HA5HE

Exactly long as everyone does them self that’s what they’re looking for. Any idea when the course starts for the 2024 class ?
Others might have a better idea but I reckon it will be the back end of the year. If as we have said their are people from 2019 going for interviews now it could be a wait for the 2024 intake.

ls82

Yes I received mine on Fri too just completed the final online test today timed found it ok just hoping I've passed it not sure when u here anything back

DavidAtkin

Yes I received mine on Fri too just completed the final online test today timed found it ok just hoping I've passed it not sure when u here anything back
Good luck , I think most people should hear back in a week or two not 100% sure tho.

Others might have a better idea but I reckon it will be the back end of the year. If as we have said there are people from 2019 going for interviews now it could be a wait for the 2024 intake.
Exactly my thoughts also, could be a long wait just need to wait and see I suppose.

gedu94

Has anyone else who passed the assessment centre in February 2020 still waiting to hear back about the next stage?

Under a year left until the test results expire!

ls82

Good luck , I think most people should hear back in a week or two not 100% sure tho.

Exactly my thoughts also, could be a long wait just need to wait and see I suppose.
Thanks does seem to be a long process but Let's hope we all hear back soon fingers crossed for everyone good luck

hepburn40

I think I may have messed up one of the questions in the situational judgement test. Could anyone give me their opinion now that people have completed it, so I can stop thinking about it. For the question about wavering concentration, I said that I would stop the train for 5 minutes, go to the toilet and put cold water on my face. I'm now worried that this could be a big no no. Any opinions, gratefully recieved!

DavidAtkin

I think I may have messed up one of the questions in the situational judgement test. Could anyone give me their opinion now that people have completed it, so I can stop thinking about it. For the question about wavering concentration, I said that I would stop the train for 5 minutes, go to the toilet and put cold water on my face. I'm now worried that this could be a big no no. Any opinions, gratefully recieved!
If you feel fatigued you wouldn’t keep driving as anything could happen, health and safety is always first no matter what.

hepburn40

Thanks for replying. I was worried that an unscheduled stop could cause an accident but that's reassured me. Thank you

WF4HA5HE

If you feel fatigued you wouldn’t keep driving as anything could happen, health and safety is always first no matter what.
I think for that question you weren't actually given an option to call control and tell them you can't work, all the options involved you continuing driving.

Tr4inee

I also answered I would stop the train and put water on my face. Also thought afterwards that it’s a bit extreme and was probably wrong. It doesn’t state how bad the fatigue is but I went with my gut feeling that safety is priority and they would rather have a delay than any serious incidents happen. I found the difficulty with this test was falling into a trap of overthinking. Hopefully I managed to get through it and good luck to everybody else :)

WF4HA5HE

Thanks for replying. I was worried that an unscheduled stop could cause an accident but that's reassured me. Thank
I think your overthinking it. In reality trains can stop unscheduled and do all the time and it's perfectly safe because the signalling system will protect your train and won't allow a train past the previous signal you passed as it will remain at red (providing the driver is obeying the signals) . I appreciate that does require railway knowledge but just FYI