• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Calthrop

Established Member
Congleton in Cheshire East also lies on the line of the River Dane.

One gathers that Congleton has a dramatic story, involving considerable altruism on the part of the inhabitants, from when bubonic plague arrived there in the 17th century. Similarly, from the same era, with Eyam -- not all that far away, in Derbyshire -- whose people voluntarily quarantined the village while the situation obtained.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
St Mary the Virgin, Wirksworth contains an Anglo-Saxon carving of a lead miner, "T'owd Man", the oldest representation of a miner anywhere in the world. It was moved here in 1863 from St James the Apostle's Church, Bonsall for safe-keeping and has never been returned. The parishioners of Bonsall have had a replica carved for their church.

Calthrop

Established Member
There is a very long-standing, established Christian youth camp at Bonsall. Per Wiki: the famed and respected Christian writer and minister Selwyn Hughes (1928 -- 2006) mentions in his autobiography, that as a lad, he was sent home from this camp for bad behaviour (I initially read this, as his being sent to the camp for bad behaviour -- too much Solzhenitsyn maybe?). Hughes was born in Fochriw, Caerphilly County Borough.

Calthrop

Established Member
Bedwas is mentioned in the work Wild Wales by George Borrow (whom we've had in this game in recent days): while Borrow was a "whiz" at languages, he wasn't infallible -- in the above reference, he calls the settlement Bettws, meaning "prayer house"; its actual meaning is "grove, bank, or place, of birch trees". With his father being a serving officer in the army, Borrow lived and attended school in his childhood and youth, in quite a wide variety of places; one of those being Clonmel, Co. Tipperary.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) used to have its head office in CAA House, Islington. It is now located in Aviation House, Gatwick Airport, Crawley, Sussex.

Withyham churchyard is the burial place of the ashes of Sir David Maxwell Fyfe (nicknamed Dai Bananas), Solicitor General, Attorney General and Home Secretary, who served on the UK legal team at the Nuremberg Trial of the main Nazi leaders; the UK team was led by Sir Hartley Shawcross (known as Sir Shortly Floorcross for his supposed disillusionment with the Attlee government he served), who is buried at Jevington, also East Sussex.

Calthrop

Established Member
In 1931, the author and poet Eleanor Farjeon wrote her single most-acclaimed work -- the hymn, and later pop number, Morning Has Broken -- in Alfriston; it being reckoned inspired by the beauty of local scenes. Farjeon had a number of years' (platonic) friendship with the poet Edward Thomas, who is probably most renowned for the poem -- beloved by the likes of us, but here on the "literary", not the "gricing", track -- Adlestrop.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Swerving east, from rich industrial shadows
And traffic all night north
And now and then a harsh-named halt that shields
Workmen at dawn
Gathers to the surprise of a large town
One of my favourite railway poems by Philip Larkin, describing the journey to KINGSTON UPON HULL

Calthrop

Established Member
A celebrated heroine of Welsh religious devotion, Mary Jones of Llanfihangel-y-Pennant, walked in 1800 twenty-six miles to Bala to buy a Bible in Welsh. This feat is reckoned to have made a big contribution to the founding of the British & Foreign Bible Society.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
ABER is another place in Wales with a four-letter name. Unlike Bala/Y Bala it has a long version, Abergwyngregyn.
I got quite confused. There are at least two villages named Llanfihangel-y-pennant. Mary Jones walked from the one near Tywyn.

Calthrop

Established Member
I got quite confused. There are at least two villages named Llanfihangel-y-pennant. Mary Jones walked from the one near Tywyn.

Sorry ! The confusion is initially mine, and instigated by me: I had heard long ago, the Mary Jones story; Googled L-y-p, and got -- re present purposes -- the wrong one, indeed near Tywyn: failed to make the necessary mental connection.

@LSWR Cavalier: I'm ready, if you wish, for the last two posts to be scrapped; and for me to go back and make a relevant response to your post #21,916.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@Calthrop
No problem, I found them on my OS one-inch maps, learned something new, very good. I had a feeling there was another in the Berwyns, but that is Pennant Melangell.
Edit: association between the two villages of the same name: Michaelchurch Escley (Fihangel = Michael)

ABER is the last..

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
@Calthrop
No problem, I found them on my OS one-inch maps, learned something new, very good. I had a feeling there was another in the Berwyns, but that is Pennant Melangell.

Right, thanks. Have been aware of a fair number of places in Wales called "Pennant"... this, that or the other. Find that the word in Welsh means "head stream" -- nothing to do with flags !

ABER is the last...

Aber -- Abergwyngregyn in full ! -- plays host according to Wiki, to assorted wildlife delights; but alas, not red squirrels -- not seen there since 1978, though I understand that they're still around at a few locations in Wales. A very small, but significant, red-squirrel enclave -- one of the last in the south of England -- is Brownsea Island (with a tiny resident human population) in Poole Harbour: has a couple of hundred red squirrels in residence (the grey ones can't get across the water).

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
From 1 August until 8 August 1907, Robert Baden-Powell held an experimental camp on Brownsea Island, to test out his Scouting ideas. He gathered 21 boys of mixed social backgrounds (from boys' schools in the London area and a section of boys from the Poole, Parkstone, Hamworthy, Bournemouth, and Winton Boys' Brigade units) and held a week-long camp.

Calthrop

Established Member
Alfred Wainwright -- walker, climber and great lover of particularly the Lake District; and author of walking / climbing guide-books -- was born in Blackburn; and lived and worked there, till in his thirties, he moved -- to be closer to the Lakes -- to Kendal, where he spent the rest of his long life.

DerekC

Established Member
The ring of six bells at Launton parish church was cast by Gillet & Johnston of Croydon. The same company cast a ring of ten bells for Coventry Cathedral in 1927. They survived the bombing in 1940 and were finally re-hung properly so that a peal could be rung in 1987.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
John Buchan, 1st Baron Tweedsmuir GCMG GCVO CH PC DL (1875 – 1940), the Scottish novelist, historian, and politician who served as Governor General of Canada was born in Perth. He was brought up in Kirkaldy, Fife, and spent many summer holidays with his maternal grandparents in Broughton in the Scottish Borders.

Calthrop

Established Member
Stobo's main feature would seem to be its Castle, built in the early 19th century, and now a health spa. The Castle was owned between 1905 and his death in 1935, by the English cricketer Hylton Philipson; who was born in Tynemouth, Northumberland.