• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shrinkflation - examples?

AM9

Veteran Member
Maybe so, if that was the cause why put the product in almost identical packaging with slight rewording of the name? Leads to the consumer thinking they are getting a better product for the same price, when in fact it is inferior and over a whole roll less.
Unless every product is in a plain brown paper bag, everything is 'dressed to sell', - it's what capitalism does.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bobdogs

On Moderation
Tesco are lauding their "new" range of "new recipe" ready meals.
What they fail to mention is that they have reduced the weight from 450 grams to 400 grams with no reduction in price.
What an unexpected surprise!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Tesco are lauding their "new" range of "new recipe" ready meals.
What they fail to mention is that they have reduced the weight from 450 grams to 400 grams with no reduction in price.
What an unexpected surprise!
Being realistic, it's either that or put the price up.

If this is for one person, then 400g is about right for me, unless I've skipped lunch.

How about something like a side salad to go with it; this won't cost much and could probably be prepared in the time it takes to cook the ready meal and would be healthier ;)

alxndr

Established Member
Wright's Coal Tar soap has gone from 125g a bar to 100g a bar, with no price change. The way they've done it is particularly sneaky, with the bar remaining the same diamensions but becoming slightly dished on the underside. As I first encountered the smaller size at the height of the summer heatwave I assumed it had melted at some point until I realised both of the bar's I'd brought were shaped exactly the same.

johnnychips

Established Member
I don’t know if this is exactly ‘shrinkflation’ but the alcohol content of Leffe Blond has decreased from 6.6% to 6%. The price of bottles in supermarkets has always varied a lot, but it certainly isn’t cheaper. In Weatherspoons, the price has risen from £4.14 to £4.45 a pint - though this is still ridiculously cheap.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Believe the ABV of 'Leffe Blonde' was reduced in the UK market sometime last year so as to reduce the amount of UK duty payable.

However, a company spokesman was quoted in a trade periodical attempting to put a positive spin on the change...

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/alcohol...abv-to-better-suit-uk-drinkers/685357.article
(Full article may be hidden behind firewall)

Extract...
...The change had been made earlier this year “to allow more UK beer consumers to enjoy the amazing and unique taste of Leffe Blonde”...

Yeah, right! ;)

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I don’t know if this is exactly ‘shrinkflation’ but the alcohol content of Leffe Blond has decreased from 6.6% to 6%. The price of bottles in supermarkets has always varied a lot, but it certainly isn’t cheaper. In Weatherspoons, the price has risen from £4.14 to £4.45 a pint - though this is still ridiculously cheap.
I think that is probably 'skimpflation' where the price remains the same but the 'quality' of the product reduces in some way. In this case a lower alcohol content, in other cases fewer channels for your TV subscription, cheaper ingredients in processed food, less frequent room cleans in your hotel and so on. My previous spreadable butter (Anchor) did that last year: smaller tub, same price per kg but a greater proportion of water in the mix.

Believe the ABV of 'Leffe Blonde' was reduced in the UK market sometime last year so as to reduce the amount of UK duty payable.

However, a company spokesman was quoted in a trade periodical attempting to put a positive spin on the change...

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/alcohol...abv-to-better-suit-uk-drinkers/685357.article

Extract...

Yeah, right! ;)
Well, if paying UK Duty bothered them that much they could reduce the alcohol content to 0% and avoid it all!

I seem to remember a fuss about a lager (probably Carling) doing the same thing several years ago.

johnnychips

Established Member
I think that is probably 'skimpflation' where the price remains the same but the 'quality' of the product reduces in some way. In this case a lower alcohol content, in other cases fewer channels for your TV subscription, cheaper ingredients in processed food, less frequent room cleans in your hotel and so on. My previous spreadable butter (Anchor) did that last year: smaller tub, same price per kg but a greater proportion of water in the mix.
A very perceptive post. Lurpak used to make their spreadable butter with olive oil, but that has now changed to rapeseed. Stella Artois has reduced its ABV over the years in the UK from 5.2% to 4.6% to reduce its duty, but also to lose its ‘Wifebeater’ image.

Though not exactly for the same reason, Irn Bru and Lucozade have reduced the amount of sugar in their drinks to avoid the ‘sugar tax’. Coke hasn’t, presumably because it would taste too different.

Last edited:

johntea

Established Member
I had a KFC and Burger King the past couple of days (I was staying at a hotel so wanted something quick and easy!)

Both venues charged about £12 for a pretty standard chicken / burger meal

McDonalds have gone up too but I could still probably get 2 Big Mac meals for that price

JamesT

Established Member
I had a KFC and Burger King the past couple of days (I was staying at a hotel so wanted something quick and easy!)

McDonalds have gone up too but I could still probably get 2 Big Mac meals for that price
I tend to use BK’s app to order. They seem to pretty much constantly have an offer of £5.99 for a whopper meal. Though even that has gone up, it used to be £4.99 but now includes a large chips instead of medium.

jon81uk

This is purely inflation though, not Shrinkflation. Portion sizes haven’t changed, just the prices.

Also Burger King has been significantly more expensive than McDonalds for as long as I can remember.

Trackman

Established Member

Extract...

Yeah, right! ;)
Kronenberg is the latest case of 'Beck's syndrome' down from 5% to 4.6%, Stella Artois these days is 4.6%. Becks has to be the worse though down from 4.8% to 4% - just doesnt taste the same.

AM9

Veteran Member
Kronenberg is the latest case of 'Beck's syndrome' down from 5% to 4.6%, Stella Artois these days is 4.6%. Becks has to be the worse though down from 4.8% to 4% - just doesnt taste the same.
There's nothing new with adjusting the alcohol content of drinks to maintain a price. I knew somebody who worked in West Bay, the UK operation of Martini, and anticipating an increase in duty at the next budget, the range of Martini for UK sales had the alcohol content reduced from 17% to 14.7% allowing the then retail price to be kept whist maintaining the profit margin. Luckily for staff and their friends, the 17% bottles already in stock were sold off cheaply in the staff shop.

JD2168

Birds Eye Fish Fingers have gone from 20 a box to 18 a box at Morrisons, presumably the same at the other shops/supermarkets.