• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 455 Withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiledbeans2

The lone 455 beckenham junction diagram today in the earlier post is a 377.

I have seen 2 of the 3 beckenham trains so far and they are 377s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
The lone 455 beckenham junction diagram today in the earlier post is a 377.

I have seen 2 of the 3 beckenham trains so far and they are 377s
Something crossed my mind the other day after doing a few of the 455 runs to places like Beckenham - while most of the 455s were in an ok condition internally, quite a few of them had suffered at the hands of some of the local “artists”, as well as become hangouts for some of the local gangs towards the evenings. I wonder how long it’ll take before Southern has regrets when Selhurst has to spend time each night / week cleaning up the graffiti etc left behind?

(That said, the toilets in the 700s are absolutely appalling now thanks to them - particularly the 8 car sets on the Sutton / Sevenoaks services)

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I wonder how long it’ll take before Southern has regrets when Selhurst has to spend time each night / week cleaning up the graffiti etc left behind?
Given Southern already has a lot of 377s out on metro work I doubt it makes that much difference.

It is a bit of a twin edged sword - by not having a distinct split in the metro / longer distance 377s they get better availability but clearly some operating locations are worse than others for anti-social behaviour. A lot of the 455s are very rough looking on their exteriors and a bit battered inside as well.

AY1975

Established Member
The lone 455 at Selhurst depot is 455814. It was meant to go out paired with 455801 today but unfortunately 5801 had a minor brake defect so is not out today and may not return to service.
455814 is out today: it was running solo on the 08.50 Victoria-London Bridge this morning, and 5804 was on the 09.00-odd Clapham Junction-Victoria (presumably the 08.08 from Epsom Downs).

The tour passed Platform 13 at CLJ as I was waiting for the 09.12 Portsmouth Harbour/Bognor Regis, which I am on to Billingshurst where I hope to catch up with the tour.

I passed 5813 just north of East Croydon on what I presume was the 09.12 Coulsdon Town-London Bridge.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Most services through Norbury appear to be 455s.

Only spotted 1 377 on a Coulsdon Town service

Southern

1330 should be a 455, diagram SL510
Cheers! Unfortunately missed it as had an emergency application on my train up to town, having to replan now...all good though :) Now on 833, saw an UID heading into London Bridge and 842, if anyone needs those - both running as 4-car, hoping everything goes to plan and the 2316 Victoria -Sutton is the booked pair later on! Just crossed 814 as well at New Cross Gate

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
Cheers! Unfortunately missed it as had an emergency application on my train up to town, having to replan now...all good though :) Now on 833, saw an UID heading into London Bridge and 842, if anyone needs those - both running as 4-car, hoping everything goes to plan and the 2316 Victoria -Sutton is the booked pair later on! Just crossed 814 as well at New Cross Gate

I'm at Coulsdon Town atm on 830 I think on the 14:12 to London bridge

Southern

I'm at Coulsdon Town atm on 830 I think on the 14:12 to London bridge
Ah nice! 833 struggled up the bank a bit between New Cross Gate and Brockley, doesn't help we're following a late running 378 :rolleyes: Got a bit overconfident and forgot about the 377 subs, just been bowled by 705 - have had 807, 833, 836 and 843 so far so not too bad, still got a bit of time. Think I was just talking to someone from here at Norbury, nice to meet you if you see this!

Last edited:

alholmes

The 1410 London Bridge - Coulsdon Town has failed at Coulsdon Town and is awaiting rescue. Lines blocked Purley - Tattenham Corner

brad465

Established Member
There does seem to be a thing for units failing on their last day, IIRC 43002 had problems on the final day of GWR HST operations, and it had a temporary fault on The Flying Banana railtour a fortnight later, from experience of being on it.

Southern

Tour was supposed to be off Blackfriars at 1642 but still seems to be in the platform

There does seem to be a thing for units failing on their last day, IIRC 43002 had problems on the final day of GWR HST operations, and it had a temporary fault on The Flying Banana railtour a fortnight later, from experience of being on it.

Indeed, seems to be a reoccurring theme

Intro298

There is currently a 9car class 377 on the London Bridge to Caterham/Tattenham Corner service, meaning that it is a Class 377/1/2/3/4 coupled to a Class 377/6/7 which is very rare, and I am assuming has something to do with the transition to 8 car trains on the splitter services, to transfer 5car trains onto other metro services

railwaytrack

There is currently a 9car class 377 on the London Bridge to Caterham/Tattenham Corner service, meaning that it is a Class 377/1/2/3/4 coupled to a Class 377/6/7 which is very rare, and I am assuming has something to do with the transition to 8 car trains on the splitter services, to transfer 5car trains onto other metro services
Surely it is more likely to be a 377/3 + 377/3 + 377/3 formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.