• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach West - Fleet News & Discussion

DaveHarries

Established Member
The 853 was run by an independent operator for years from the Cheltenham end and Stagecoach simply took it over from there, nothing to do with Witney. This proposal is clever as the running time from Carterton to Burford and then on to Cheltenham is just an hour so they can run a two hourly service with just one extra vehicle extending the S2. There will have to be some other changes though as the S2 and H2 interwork at Carterton. I suspect it will run via Carterton but perhaps not the present loop.
Ah I wasn't aware of the interworking. In that case perhaps they might drop Carterton completely given that it isn't short of buses to / from Oxford and perhaps 6bph from somewhere like Carterton is overdoing it a bit. Saying that I don't know what the passenger flows were like in normal times. I guess we will know more in the next few weeks.

Dave

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GoneSouth

The 853 was run by an independent operator for years from the Cheltenham end and Stagecoach simply took it over from there, nothing to do with Witney. This proposal is clever as the running time from Carterton to Burford and then on to Cheltenham is just an hour so they can run a two hourly service with just one extra vehicle extending the S2. There will have to be some other changes though as the S2 and H2 interwork at Carterton. I suspect it will run via Carterton but perhaps not the present loop.
Swanbrook ran this service for as long as I can remember. They used coaches as well which was nicer than the Stagecoach offerings. Not complaining though as they’re increasing the frequency which makes a trip to Oxford much easier.

Do the changes also mean there’ll be no Stagecoach service to the Gloucestershire Royal Hospital in Gloucester? They sneakily kept the 94U covering the hospital after they lost the 99 route, have they given up on this now?

CharlesR

Swanbrook ran this service for as long as I can remember. They used coaches as well which was nicer than the Stagecoach offerings. Not complaining though as they’re increasing the frequency which makes a trip to Oxford much easier.

Do the changes also mean there’ll be no Stagecoach service to the Gloucestershire Royal Hospital in Gloucester? They sneakily kept the 94U covering the hospital after they lost the 99 route, have they given up on this now?
Service 6 will continue to serve the hospital although only runs hourly between 0910 and 1410, so hardly of much use.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
There will be various service changes from 31/08/2021, some of which include:

- Service 94/94X to run throughout the day, every 15 minutes each (M-S) and every 20 minutes each (Sun). This creates a more frequent service between Glos & Chelt and a faster service for those travelling directly to the two cities by the frequency of the 94X route. I believe during peak hours there will be a service from Gloucester to Cheltenham every 5 minutes.

- Service 94U will no longer run during the day, excluding certain hours. The advertisement will become to use 94/94X between Glos/Chelt and service N around Cheltenham. I am not 100% sure whether the service will continue to run in part (i.e Francis Close Hall - The Park) however as of present I believe that the route will become peak only.

- Service S2 to run every 2 hours connecting Cheltenham-Witney-Oxford, replacing service 853. This route will no longer be operated by Cheltenham depot, instead moving to Witney apart of the new Stagecoach West region.

Changes are also scheduled for:

- Gloucester services 2/2A, 8, 9, 10, 22/23, 60 and 97/98
- Cheltenham services B, C, D/E, N and H
- Most Stroud services
- Increase in Cirencester College services for most depots, including a new route for Cheltenham depot.

I expect that these will be released on the Stagecoach website in the next week or so.
Interesting re the 94X becoming an all day service (well, within reason). It actually knocks off about 5 minutes journey time compared to the 94.

banjo125

About 20 years ago there was an all day X94 (Limited stop & using the Golden Valley Bypass), from what I recall a couple of Plaxton Bodied coaches were allocated to the service, & I think the fares attracted a slight premium, but explorer tickets were valid with no surcharge.
In any case hopefully the roadworks in the Cheltenham area will be significantly reduced by then.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Sorry to interrupt everyone, but you knowledgeable people of this thread will be able to help me with a bit of journey planning I feel. Flying into Bristol airport, attempting to reach the South Devon railway. Had intended on getting the falcon service to Exeter, I know it doesn't go into the city centre but that's no big disadvantage, is it worth staying on the falcon further or or changing over somewhere either to another bus or to a train? I don't wish to go into Bristol city centre so thought I'd do it this way as the fair look attractive and the coaches are presumably pretty reliable and comfy.

Would be a Friday de4 with an arrival time in Bristol have just after 10 am so would be looking at the falcon that goes just after 11

Any help appreciated

carlberry

Established Member
Sorry to interrupt everyone, but you knowledgeable people of this thread will be able to help me with a bit of journey planning I feel. Flying into Bristol airport, attempting to reach the South Devon railway. Had intended on getting the falcon service to Exeter, I know it doesn't go into the city centre but that's no big disadvantage, is it worth staying on the falcon further or or changing over somewhere either to another bus or to a train? I don't wish to go into Bristol city centre so thought I'd do it this way as the fair look attractive and the coaches are presumably pretty reliable and comfy.

Would be a Friday de4 with an arrival time in Bristol have just after 10 am so would be looking at the falcon that goes just after 11

Any help appreciated
If you're looking for information about services in Devon the Stagecoach South West thread would be a better place to ask: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...et-news-discussion.205386/page-3#post-5140775. I suspect the answer is going to involve changing at the Exeter stop, getting a park and ride bus into Exeter then getting another bus from there, however I don't know enough about the Falcon's stops in Devon to guess if there's a better way.

LAIRA

If you're looking for information about services in Devon the Stagecoach South West thread would be a better place to ask: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...et-news-discussion.205386/page-3#post-5140775. I suspect the answer is going to involve changing at the Exeter stop, getting a park and ride bus into Exeter then getting another bus from there, however I don't know enough about the Falcon's stops in Devon to guess if there's a better way.
You could change on to the X38 at Drumbridges. I have not checked the wait time.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Thanks all and apologies for posting in wrong thread. So many of the stagecoach threads and whilst I'm always happy to redirect posters on the ones that I generally follow I'm not following them all and so sometimes get a bit confused as to which one would be best. All advice of appreciated and the option of changing onto gold at the stop mentioned seems a good

GoneSouth

Service 6 will continue to serve the hospital although only runs hourly between 0910 and 1410, so hardly of much use.
Yeah that’s not great, but at least the 99 still goes to GRH. Are they changing the 97/98 as well? That was only recently put back to it’s 20 minute frequency following all the various lockdowns so it would be sad to see that reduced again

CharlesR

Yeah that’s not great, but at least the 99 still goes to GRH. Are they changing the 97/98 as well? That was only recently put back to it’s 20 minute frequency following all the various lockdowns so it would be sad to see that reduced again

A variation is pending however I doubt it's anything significant, if I were to hazard a guess the change is to get rid of the duplicate "997" service which will no longer be required in line with changes to government coronavirus legislation.

Most Scania Enviro 400s are leaving Gloucester now with 15521 - 15526 & 15842 - 15845 in the Midlands, 15846 - 15849 in Cumbria and North Lancs and 15850 - 15855 off to Liverpool in the coming weeks, according to staff there.

It should leave Gloucester with the following vehicles:

15648 - SF10 CCU
15734 - VX61 FKH
15735 - VX61 FKJ (New livery)
15763 - VX61 FKN (Gold)
15764 - VX61 FJU (Gold)
15856 - VX62 CZD (Gold)
15859 - VX62 CZT (Gold)
15877 - VX13 FLD
15878 - VX13 FLE

15856 is at currently at North Bristol awaiting repaint, all according to drivers and engineering staff at Gloucester.

Last edited:
Service changes on Traveline have been published for end of August. Major changes for the Stroud area.

61 service is removed
67 from cashes green remains 30 minute frequency and merged with the service to Eastcombe
65 stroud to Dursley via Uley becomes hourly making quicker journeys between the two towns
64 from stroud to Gloucester via Stonehouse remains 30 minute frequency but now diverts via great oldbury and whitminster no longer travels via Standish
Service from Gloucester to Dursley remains hourly but now diverts via Standish Stonehouse and Eastington. No longer goes via whitminster which loses out on connection to Dursley. Eastington miss out on direct connection to stroud.
Minor changes on other services

TheWalrus

Established Member
Service changes on Traveline have been published for end of August. Major changes for the Stroud area.

61 service is removed
67 from cashes green remains 30 minute frequency and merged with the service to Eastcombe
65 stroud to Dursley via Uley becomes hourly making quicker journeys between the two towns
64 from stroud to Gloucester via Stonehouse remains 30 minute frequency but now diverts via great oldbury and whitminster no longer travels via Standish
Service from Gloucester to Dursley remains hourly but now diverts via Standish Stonehouse and Eastington. No longer goes via whitminster which loses out on connection to Dursley. Eastington miss out on direct connection to stroud.
Not quite correct. 65 will link Eastington with Stroud via Dursley. It will continue beyond Dursley to Gloucester via Eastington, Stonehouse and Standish.

DaveHarries

Established Member

61 service is removed
A couple I have noticed:
- Service 60 is dropped between Dursley and Gloucester: I presume that Service 65 replaces it at least in part.
- There appears to be a route change for Service 22. A new timing point has been added between Upper Lydbrook (Recreation Ground) and Edge End which is for Worrall Hill (Council Villas), a timing point that does not currently appear on Service 22's timetable on TravelineSW. Google has the Worrall Hill stop as being part of a Service 738 although no such route turns up on TravelineSW.

Dave

CharlesR

Service change to 853 is no longer happening. I am informed by a Cheltenham driver that there is a plan to, in future, operate the 853 under a new S2 route however this has been deferred.

Ross on Wye depot will be losing routes 34/40/40A (and I believe a few other routes in addition that are not 100% confirmed just yet) with more details due soon on this. Service 78 in Cirencester is also off to Pullmans.

15856 - VX62 CZD is still at Bristol in for repaint, a month since it went there.

Edit:

15979 - YN14 OWW has arrived at Gloucester today, in exchange for 36131 - SF10 BZW which is now in Cheltenham.

Last edited:

RELL6L

A lot of changes are shown on Stagecoach's website, with timetables.

It looks like the 63 and 64 will routinely interwork, ie every journey, in Gloucester. Does this mean both will be predominantly deckers? Last time I went the 63 was totally and the 64 not very much.
The 65 looks like a good improvement between Stroud and Dursley via Uley, then from Dursley it goes to Stonehouse and then on (via a much quicker route than the 64) to Gloucester. Some interworking at Gloucester here too. Even going via Stonehouse it onyl takes 5 minutes longer to get from Gloucester to Stonehouse and runs twice as often as the old 60.

Confirming the loss of the 34/40/40A/44/944 at Ross, with a new stand-alone timetable for the 36 which was interworked with the 34. Presumably one bus, one long all-day duty, with breaks in Monmouth. I guess it could have linked with the 33 at Hereford (drivers if not vehicles) but I don't reckon it does.

In Cirencester the 78 is lost to Pulhams - twice a week - but not the 77.

Cheltenham-Gloucester 94/94X now routinely 8bph, four via Churchdown and four via the bypass.

Keynsham town services added 663/4/5 using one bus, some Sunday work lost around Bristol.

Other changes reported on. No changes showing in the Forest of Dean at all.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I wasn't actually aware of there being a depot in Ross-on-Wye, but I notice 37326 has been based on Forest routes for weeks on end!

Also, does anybody know what is going on with 27709? It has been out of service since April!

CharlesR

I wasn't actually aware of there being a depot in Ross-on-Wye, but I notice 37326 has been based on Forest routes for weeks on end!

Also, does anybody know what is going on with 27709? It has been out of service since April!

27709 returned to Gloucester on 13/08 after 4 months away for collision repairs on its front end chassis. I presume it will be back in service soon.

More information on my previous post, there are vehicle movements associated with the service changes, and the first of which I can confirm are 15978, 15979 and 15980 moving from Cheltenham to Gloucester.

All information coming from operational staff inside Gloucester depot.

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
27709 returned to Gloucester on 13/08 after 4 months away for collision repairs on its front end chassis. I presume it will be back in service soon.

More information on my previous post, there are vehicle movements associated with the service changes, and the first of which I can confirm are 15978, 15979 and 15980 moving from Cheltenham to Gloucester.
I wonder what will be used on the 94U now then?

I notice that 15977-15981 tend to stray out onto the A quite a bit, as there is no 94U on weekends. However I also sometimes see the Gold E400MMCs on the A as well. Does the A really warrant double deckers?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Ross on Wye has always had an allocation. The current depot is in a small unit next to Tool Station on Ashburton Ind Est https://www.google.com/maps/@51.916...4!1smDIObLJpxgI28RpYQyl3SQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

However, if you turn right out of the depot and follow the road round to the right for about 400m to Gloucester Road, you come to a T junction. Before it is a building called Brunel something; that is the original Red and White bus depot. It has a yard to the right hand side, and when the depot was vacated (late 1980s?), they had an outbase there for about 10 vehicles - a compound with a portacabin.

CharlesR

I wonder what will be used on the 94U now then?

I notice that 15977-15981 tend to stray out onto the A quite a bit, as there is no 94U on weekends. However I also sometimes see the Gold E400MMCs on the A as well. Does the A really warrant double deckers?

94U will only be running twice a day in each direction, so I would presume it will use the Gold 400MMCs currently allocated to Cheltenham depot, possibly interworking with the 94/94X.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Service change to 853 is no longer happening. I am informed by a Cheltenham driver that there is a plan to, in future, operate the 853 under a new S2 route however this has been deferred.

Ross on Wye depot will be losing routes 34/40/40A (and I believe a few other routes in addition that are not 100% confirmed just yet) with more details due soon on this. Service 77 in Cirencester is also off to Pullmans.

15856 - VX62 CZD is still at Bristol in for repaint, a month since it went there.

Edit:

15979 - YN14 OWW has arrived at Gloucester today, in exchange for 36131 - SF10 BZW which is now in Cheltenham.
Service 77/76 are not off to Pulhams. Only the 78 at this present time. Please can you amend this post to avoid any confusion?

GoneSouth

Stagecoach cancels Gloucestershire services due to national driver shortage

The national shortage of drivers is hitting Stagecoach services in Gloucestershire today (Wednesday, September 1).

The bus company has had to cancel services across the county and is listing them on social media.

It is updating customers about routes in Cheltenham, Gloucester, Stroud and Stonehouse that are affected.

It said this morning: "Due to the national driver shortage we are experiencing disruption to our services."

The UK has been hit by a shortage of drivers and Stagecoach has linked this to Brexit and the Pandemic”

The article then went off on a completely unrelated direction about lorry driver salaries but the story behind the headline had been told briefly by this point!

Given the above story, very disappointing that Stagecoach are also using Solos on one of their busiest routes, the 94. They can’t be short of vehicles given they’ve said they are running reduced frequencies!

I've just seen one with "sorry full due to social distancing" displayed on the front… what a surprise!

Last edited by a moderator:

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Does anyone happen to know the current status of Stoud Solo 47244 (GX55 DXO)? Notice it's not been out for a little while.

CharlesR

Gloucester service changes commence from 03/10/2021, with frequency reductions:

Service 1 - reduced to every 12 minutes
Service 2/2A - reduced to every 20 minutes (2bph = 2, 1bph = 2A)
Service 9 - will run every 20 minutes throughout the day, removing the every 15 peak frequency
Service 10 - reduced to every 15 minutes outside of peak hours, will run at every 12 minutes during the peak
Service 12 - will run every 15 minutes throughout the day

Timetables and more information

AmesthystFox

Service 9 - will run every 20 minutes throughout the day, removing the every 15 peak frequency
Service 10 - reduced to every 15 minutes outside of peak hours, will run at every 12 minutes during the peak

Is this temporary because of driver shortages?

CharlesR

Is this temporary because of driver shortages?
I'm not sure, sorry. Cheltenham have had some service changes and it was stressed it was as a result of driver shortages. With these changes there is nothing to suggest whether they are until further notice.

The COVID recovery for bus companies had ended now, so they are no longer required to attempt to run a full service. So I'd take a guess at it being a combination of driver shortages and post-COVID passenger reductions. I can see this staying for the foreseeable future, in my opinion.

ValleyLines142

Established Member

Not good news - particularly for the 1/2/2A/9 which are already very busy.

The 1 in particular regular sees buses departing full even at off peak.

I suspect Gloucester has done the same as Cheltenham by reducing its timetables on its frequent routes to enable drivers to be used on the less regular routes, thereby ensuring less cancellations overall. Much better in the short term to get little to no cancellations, and then rebuild back up with more drivers and more frequent services again