• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Henk travel disruption 02/01/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

DazCM

Platform 6 at East Croydon is currently closed as the disused advertising hoardings adjacent to the new footbridge are now leaning onto the track.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
There was a 50mph blanket speed restriction on NR Wessex zone which affected multiple routes.
There was nothing for the whole of Wessex, although there was for part of it I believe? Certainly not for the first half of the day and in to the early evening at least.

occone

Seems there was flooding between Weston Super Mare and Bristol today. Staff at Weston were excellent and grouped us up into taxis back to our destinations.

david1212

Established Member
Flooding between Leamington and Warwick due to the Avon bursting its banks. Line closed until further notice. RRBs shuttling Leamington - Warwick Parkway.
Chiltern Journeycheck now states
Last updated: 20:03:26
Due to heavy rain flooding the railway between Warwick and Leamington Spa trains have to run at reduced speed on all lines towards London.

Given the rain yesterday hardly surprising the Avon has bust its banks. The river Leam joins the Avon between Leamington and Warwick too. Both have plenty of catchment upstream. As I recall though the railway runs quite high. I wonder if rather than flooding directly there is concern about a section of embankment?

CC 72100

Established Member
There was nothing for the whole of Wessex, although there was for part of it I believe? Certainly not for the first half of the day and in to the early evening at least.
Yes - only on certain Wessex routes initially. Not all. That was until the blanket 'all stop' across most of Wessex came in..

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
For the good people of York.... bit OT but to save starting another thread, what were/are the river levels in the centre of York? I know the Foss and the Ouse merge just east of the town and it's been a while since I visited the Kings Arms ....

occone

I think this XC Voyager is stuck perilously close to it's destination of Exeter -

Initially I figured it was missed detection but opentraintimes shows it as outside of Exeter so it appears stuck. Could be a breakdown or flood?

Edit: XCs site just has a weather alert on it, so I'm guessing it's that.

Edit2: Seems the other line is blocked now?

Attachments

• IMG_20240103_213219_006.jpg
    IMG_20240103_213219_006.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 28

Benjiw17

I think this XC Voyager is stuck perilously close to it's destination of Exeter -

Initially I figured it was missed detection but opentraintimes shows it as outside of Exeter so it appears stuck. Could be a breakdown or flood?

Edit: XCs site just has a weather alert on it, so I'm guessing it's that.

Edit2: Seems the other line is blocked now?
Think 1V58 struck a person at Cullompton, got a friend who’s a driver currently trying to get home on 1C92, was originally on 1V66 but got turfed off at BRI and it terminated there

_toommm_

Established Member
Services seem to be stacking up at Ranskill Loop, near Retford. Have the wires come down again?

Edit: I note the WCRC Thunderbird is en-route as 0Z47.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Services seem to be stacking up at Ranskill Loop, near Retford. Have the wires come down again?

LNER Travel Alerts points to culprit being 1D30 1933 KGX-LDS 91111 if RTT correct

1704318562194.png

occone

Think 1V58 struck a person at Cullompton, got a friend who’s a driver currently trying to get home on 1C92, was originally on 1V66 but got turfed off at BRI and it terminated there
Oh gosh, my condolences to the driver and family of the affected.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Popped up to Okehampton this evening and had a look at the footbridge. The roof had been cleared from the track the previous night but its remains were nowhere to be seen. The bridge looks odd without it. I tweaked the photo to make it lighter,not something I’m usually a fan of doing.
1472DEB3-C813-4DF4-9DAB-2904DDA3BF27.jpeg

Purple Train

Established Member
For the good people of York.... bit OT but to save starting another thread, what were/are the river levels in the centre of York? I know the Foss and the Ouse merge just east of the town and it's been a while since I visited the Kings Arms ....
It was swollen over the footpaths yesterday, coming in from Scarborough. Not flooded the houses at that point but that was at 11.30-ish so there was obviously more rain. I wouldn't be surprised if it got much higher.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Popped up to Okehampton this evening and had a look at the footbridge. The roof had been cleared from the track the previous night but its remains were nowhere to be seen. The bridge looks odd without it. I tweaked the photo to make it lighter,not something I’m usually a fan of doing.
View attachment 149648
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. It reminds me of a railway station with no footbridge roof. Sheffield Park on the Bluebell Railway has no roof over the footbridge but a previous footbridge there did. I just thought of that.

Still it's only a bit of wind. :lol: :lol:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
It was swollen over the footpaths yesterday, coming in from Scarborough. Not flooded the houses at that point but that was at 11.30-ish so there was obviously more rain. I wouldn't be surprised if it got much higher.
Thanks for update. Yes, I suspect it will continue to rise.... and flood close to where a friend of mine lives (whom I've just managed to contact!)

Established Member
Of course the Rule Book allows for trains to run at line speed until flooding reaches the bottom of the railhead so there would have been no need for cautioning at that point. I assume you were talked past the red so that you could examine the line and report back the situation to the signaller?

Nope - track circuit failure meant they couldn’t pull the signal off, flooding already reported at that location and cautioned at 20mph max. The water I then encountered at linespeed was (best I could tell) approaching the railhead.

Wolfie

Established Member
I was trying to get from Telford Central to Euston yesterday. I arrived at Telford around 1520 to see a TfW service sat at the Shrewsbury platform and everything showing delayed. It soon became apparent that flooding around Wellington had resulted in suspended service. We were told that the tracks were literally underwater.

The options offered were:
- wait (albeit that l was told that the previous time that this happened there had been no trains for 6-7 hours);
- try to get a bus or other transport to either Stafford or Wolverhampton and hopefully pick up a train there.

The staff informally advised "do not travel" so l went back to my mum's house and stayed overnight. I assume that l can claim delay repay but can l also claim any additional bus fares getting to/from the station?

Established Member

Brake defect on 1D30, brakes came on, wouldn’t come off, 47 hauled from Ranskil to Leeds, then onto Neville Hill.

Very high. Skeldergate flooded shut, St George’s Field carpark under water, no riverside walkways open at all. Floodplains at Clifton soaked through

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Very high, river completely burst it's banks. Rowntree's Park is closed and will be for some time. Its possible to cross Ousegate bridge currently. Haven't seen Lendal. Floodwater is being released onto the Racecourse and Knavesmire.

wilsontown

Very high. Skeldergate flooded shut, St George’s Field carpark under water, no riverside walkways open at all. Floodplains at Clifton soaked through
Indeed, although according to the model based on data from the Viking recorder, levels peaked late last night and should now fall steadily. High but of course not particularly unusual for the location (I live just off Skeldergate).

The Kings Arms has been closed for many weeks because as soon as levels fall enough for it to open, we get more rain and it floods again. Water currently up to the windows.

dk1

Veteran Member
The Kings Arms has been closed for many weeks because as soon as levels fall enough for it to open, we get more rain and it floods again. Water currently up to the windows.

Yes noticed that the Friday before Christmas. Its always part of my festive pub crawl.

londonmidland

Established Member
All lines blocked between Newton Abbot and Plymouth due to flooding. I’m also hearing parts of the SWR network may be impacted later this evening due to heavy rain.

40C

There has been no freight traffic between Ulceby and Immingham now for around 48 hours. 6D43 has been stood in Barnetby platform 1 for around the same time too, and the Grimsby/Immingham light railway has seen light engine traffic for the first time in months. Is there a problem?

Dan G

That's very sad to hear. I guess it happens everywhere but it seems to happen far too often in Devon.

Purple Train

Established Member
Thanks for update. Yes, I suspect it will continue to rise.... and flood close to where a friend of mine lives (whom I've just managed to contact!)
I have never seen as much water as I saw on the journey down here, it was quite astonishing really. And then, on finally getting down south, the wind was likewise astonishing - it nearly blew my hat clean off, even though I'd pulled the drawstring as tight to my face as it could go. I have the utmost respect for the people fault-finding and fault-fixing out in the open - the conditions were awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.