• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Isha may affect your journey in parts of England, Scotland and Wales on Sunday 21 and Monday 22 January

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Was due to travel today on the 17:10 service from Nottingham to London St Pancras. I decided to leave a very blustery Nottingham two hours earlier.

The journey has so far been uneventful, apart from being challenged by the train manager for not travelling on my booked train.

He claimed the ticket waiver only applied after 6pm. This is even though the guidance on the EMR website clearly states advance ticket restrictions are waived for all of today.

I'd put in a complaint; such behaviour really needs to be stopped these days.

Particularly as it's Northern*, it would surely be good PR to send you out a free return ticket in response to your taking their advice not to travel?

*Not meant as an insult, merely they're the only TOC I know of that do issue complimentary tickets on a "go anywhere" basis routinely.
If you don't travel at all, it's usually a refund from the point of purchase.

The complimentary tickets generally only apply where the customer did travel but was disrupted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Gridwatch is not actually showing exceptional wind power generation at the moment (15GW as against an all-time maximum of 17GW).
This might be because the centre of generation is in the North Sea rather than in the west/north of the UK, and may apply later.
We are also on roughly maximum import from Europe (6.7GW, more than everything else except gas 10GW).
Weekends are a bit different with a lower overall demand.
It makes up for a couple of weeks of feeble wind power generation, with a number of very quiet days from the high pressure.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Typical British over reaction

This post is surely a wind-up?

But in case it is not, what do you, @Jamiescott1, think the railway should do when an amber weather warning is issued? Nothing, continue to run a full service (in effect, promising passengers they will all get to their destinations), only to have multiple trains become stranded due to flooding, trees on the line, overhead wires down, requiring rail staff to attend and evacuate passengers onto the track in the face of horrendous weather conditions (where I am, there are not just very strong winds but heavy rain too)? It is madness to send trains, passengers and traincrew out in the full knowledge that many of them have no chance whatsoever of completing their journeys, and will be put at risk.

BwniCymraeg

I've decided to strike while the iron's hot and pick up a citylink reservation to Edinburgh for my 9am seminar. Will need to leave the house at 0545 but I'm sure it's worth it...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Gridwatch is not actually showing exceptional wind power generation at the moment (15GW as against an all-time maximum of 17GW).
This might be because the centre of generation is in the North Sea rather than in the west/north of the UK, and may apply later.
We are also on roughly maximum import from Europe (6.7GW, more than everything else except gas 10GW).
Weekends are a bit different with a lower overall demand.
It makes up for a couple of weeks of feeble wind power generation, with a number of very quiet days from the high pressure.

May also be because it can be too windy for turbines to operate safely and they have to be stopped.

On this BBC News webpage there's a video that can be accessed via a thumbnail image titled "Storm Isha: Widespread warnings as system set to hit UK": https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-68036507

Apologies that I can't seem to link directly to this video and it may change. The video is presented by a weather forecaster, and starts and ends with a background image showing a (two track portal framed?) overhead electrified railway running alongside a concrete topped sea wall. Where is this location?

Thanks in advance!
Saltcoats

salt.JPG

Russel

You've not worked on the railway have you?

Let's see how well your comment ages.

To be fair, he does have a point.

I work in road transport and other than taking a few minor precautions, we carry on as normal.

The railway does have a habit of getting it's self tied up in knots.

Wivenswold

Established Member
May also be because it can be too windy for turbines to operate safely and they have to be stopped.
I'm surprised the tabloids haven't had a moan about "the wrong kind of wind" like they do when they deliberately act dumb to misinform the public.

Willie Bee

Particularly as it's Northern*, it would surely be good PR to send you out a free return ticket in response to your taking their advice not to travel?

*Not meant as an insult, merely they're the only TOC I know of that do issue complimentary tickets on a "go anywhere" basis routinely.
Thanks for the reply.
I have just emailed Northern stating that I am not travelling .. so hopefully I'll get a replacement ticket to Carlisle, or even better a 'go anywhere' ticket.
STAY SAFE EVERYBODY

Wivenswold

Established Member

I work in road transport and other than taking a few minor precautions, we carry on as normal.

I don't think the two industries can be compared to be honest. Most of the issues with high winds on the railways are due to overhead wire problems and trees that have blocked the track. When a tree comes down across a road, you'll have a number of alternative routes, even for HGVs . There are fewer opportunities for diversions on the railway network thanks to Dr Beeching and privatisation.

Future

Just to confirm:
From 18:00hrs onwards a blanket Emergency Speed Restriction of 50mph applies to the ENTIRE National Rail network. This includes England, Scotland and Wales.
Network Rail Scotland have advised that NO trains are to run in Scotland from 19:00hrs onwards. All trains currently moving will finish their journey ASAP.

The railway operates totally different to the road network. The road network tolerates over a thousand people being killed and tens of thousands injured every year

800Travel

If we follow the advice and defer travel to tomorrow, does this mean that we are also able to claim full delay relay?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just to confirm:
From 18:00hrs onwards a blanket Emergency Speed Restriction of 50mph applies to the ENTIRE National Rail network. This includes England, Scotland and Wales.
Network Rail Scotland have advised that NO trains are to run in Scotland from 19:00hrs onwards. All trains currently moving will finish their journey ASAP.

What will be put in place to assist passengers and crews who may be stranded in the middle of nowhere (given how rural Scotland is)? Or are they at least running them to places where there are at least hotels?

Dumping people at e.g. Corrour would be quite serious and likely to result in fatalities.

JamieL

Just to confirm:
Amazed they are leaving that long. Since midday the weather has got progressively worse and it is now howling here in Argyll. Haven't seen it this bad for a long time.

Rich1974

No emails from my company re nationwide blanket speed restricts, only a few lines have been highlighted in our (GWR) Region so far.

Future

What will be put in place to assist passengers and crews who may be stranded in the middle of nowhere (given how rural Scotland is)? Or are they at least running them to places where there are at least hotels?

Dumping people at e.g. Corrour would be quite serious and likely to result in fatalities.
As I understand it all trains that started their journey before 19:00hrs will be allowed to complete it where reasonably possible. In the case of remote stations I’d imagine ScotRail will provide hotels as per the NRCoT because no RRS is available.

The Puddock

Trains in Scotland that are already en route at 19:00 will run through to their destination (with the 40mph - as it is in Scotland - blanket speed restriction applied). No trains will be allowed to start a journey after 19:00. Contrary to your apparent belief, Network Rail Scotland isn't daft enough to dump people at Corrour, Rannoch or even Kildonan overnight in a storm.

Journeys will finish to their destination. If somebody wants to get off at Corrour, that is their choice

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Trains in Scotland that are already en route at 19:00 will run through to their destination (with the 40mph - as it is in Scotland - blanket speed restriction applied). No trains will be allowed to start a journey after 19:00. Contrary to your apparent belief, Network Rail Scotland isn't daft enough to dump people at Corrour, Rannoch or even Kildonan overnight in a storm.

That makes more sense than what the post I was replying to said :)

Rich1974

My company must be slow then as I haven't had an updated Late notice yet. Had 2 throughout the day the last being late morning and it just listed a few stretches of lines with 50mph restrictions on, unless they are doing broadcasts over the GSMR that is.

cheekybifta

There are fatalities on the roads every single day. Sadly this week's storms will likely result in some.

I think there's been one passenger fatality on the railways since Greyrigg in 2007, so I'm happy for them to stick with the "tied up it knots" approach.

Future

Just been advised that all service north of Crediton is suspended following earlier bridge collapse at Copplestone and the following just occurred:
Driver of 2E61 reports a number of obstructions on the Okehampton.
-Struck a branch at approx. 196mp
-Reports railings at Old Bow station appear to be falling towards the line at 187m 55ch
-Struck a large branch which is now stuck under the train at approx. 2miles Yeoford-side of Coleford Jn (~182mp)

Status
Not open for further replies.