• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Isha may affect your journey in parts of England, Scotland and Wales on Sunday 21 and Monday 22 January

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTJ87

Was due to travel today on the 17:10 service from Nottingham to London St Pancras. I decided to leave a very blustery Nottingham two hours earlier.

The journey has so far been uneventful, apart from being challenged by the train manager for not travelling on my booked train.

He claimed the ticket waiver only applied after 6pm. This is even though the guidance on the EMR website clearly states advance ticket restrictions are waived for all of today.

If you hold an ‘Advance Ticket’ which is usually valid on a specific train you may use it to travel on any of our trains on your planned EMR route on Sunday 21 January.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aviator88

RTT error, code X4 is : Blanket speed restriction for extreme heat or high wind in accordance with the Group Standards

Nice one, cheers.

When is the peak of this storm? This morning they were saying Tuesday.. I guess it has come early.

Customer service level 2, or Black - same thing.

Sometime around 10 PM tonight will see the strongest winds of this storm. Then, as somebody else mentioned, we have the next one to contend with!

Saint66

Looks like blanket 50mph restriction for Thameslink services on the Midland Main Line after 6pm.

Worst of the winds expected in the South East/London 7pm onwards until after midnight.

Last edited:

Established Member
Getting delays south of Newark on ECML due to an obstruction in the overhead cables.
Now cleared

Last LNER Kings Cross to Edinburgh services was 15:30, all other services to terminate at Newcastle.
The last LNER service Southbound is 1E27 [18:30 Edinburgh to Kings Cross

Willie Bee

I am travelling from Newcastle to Carlisle (return) tomorrow with an advance ticket.

It seems warnings against travel are being given.. If I choose not to travel, would I get .. a replacement return ticket for another date, my money back, or none of these ?

I got a cheap deal, which is far less than the normal ' walk on ticket price' so getting my money back wouldn't really be ideal

trei2k

Services winding down in Scotland at 19:00 tonight and there won't be any morning peak services tomorrow.

Source: https://twitter.com/ScotRail/status/1749111697430737188

1/4 All services across the country will be suspended from 19.00 tonight (Sunday, 21 January) and there will be no rush hour services on Monday morning, as the extreme weather from Storm Isha arrives.

2/4 Following further reviews, Network Rail has taken the decision to close the railway to passenger services during the worst of the weather.

3/4 Customers should note than any trains that depart prior to 19.00 will complete their journey and line closures will continue into Monday. Each route will have to undergo a safety inspection, which means it will be later on Monday before any trains can run.

4/4 Customers whose journey has been cancelled or disrupted due to adverse weather can travel two days after the date on their ticket, or also apply for a refund on any unused tickets.

Established Member
I am travelling from Newcastle to Carlisle (return) tomorrow with an advance ticket.

It seems warnings against travel are being given.. If I choose not to travel, would I get .. a replacement return ticket for another date, my money back, or none of these ?

I got a cheap deal, which is far less than the normal ' walk on ticket price' so getting my money back wouldn't really be ideal
Beyond "tickets may be used until X", you won't get replacements.

You can either take advantage of ticket acceptance or get a refund. I know that's not the answer you'd have wanted of course!

If your train is cancelled, you'll be able to travel on another service (usually the service directly before or after your booked train but depending on what ticket restrictions are in place tomorrow, you may be able to use other services), or you'll be entitled to a full refund from your point of purchase if you chose not to travel.

MP33

I have been cutting branches off a Buddleia which is more a small tree than a bush. It did not topple over in previous high winds, but is doing a leaning tower of Pisa impression.

Robbouk

Now cleared

Last LNER Kings Cross to Edinburgh services was 15:30, all other services to terminate at Newcastle.
The last LNER service Southbound is 1E27 [18:30 Edinburgh to Kings Cross
Yes I was at Grantham and services are coming through now. I'm on the 15:39 which arrived around an hour later than scheduled. Can't be helped given the circumstances.

dmncf

On this BBC News webpage there's a video that can be accessed via a thumbnail image titled "Storm Isha: Widespread warnings as system set to hit UK": https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-68036507

Apologies that I can't seem to link directly to this video and it may change. The video is presented by a weather forecaster, and starts and ends with a background image showing a (two track portal framed?) overhead electrified railway running alongside a concrete topped sea wall. Where is this location?

Thanks in advance!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

You have several options; you can choose between:
  1. Travelling on the next available train that runs,
  2. Travelling on another date in accordance with any easements published by the train operator (i.e. Northern in this case),
  3. Accepting a full refund, or
  4. Requiring the train operator (Northern) to reissue your ticket for another date of your convenience free of charge, under condition 28.3 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel.
I'd imagine option 4 is likely to be the option you're most interested in, but it's also likely to be hardest to exercise. Nevertheless, it you want to go for it, I'd suggest contacting Northern via social media (e.g. Twitter) and asking them to redate the ticket, citing condition 28.3.

If they refuse to do so, I'd buy another ticket for whichever date you decide to travel and then contact Northern's customer services to claim back the cost of this. In my experience, train companies' customer services will often pay for things that the social media staff claim cannot be provided or reimbursed for.

Darandio

Established Member
On this BBC News webpage there's a video that can be accessed via a thumbnail image titled "Storm Isha: Widespread warnings as system set to hit UK": https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-68036507

Apologies that I can't seem to link directly to this video and it may change. The video is presented by a weather forecaster, and starts and ends with a background image showing a (two track portal framed?) overhead electrified railway running alongside a concrete topped sea wall. Where is this location?

Thanks in advance!

Ayrshire Coast i'd imagine. Maybe Saltcoats?

Established Member

Thanks in advance!
Without seeing it, I'd assume Saltcoats in Ayrshire.

King Lazy

Thanks in advance!
I think it’s Saltcoats in Scotland if it’s the same image I’ve seen in previous storms. It seems their go-to image.

Typical British over reaction

The railway has already started to flood in multiple locations, there are trees down on the network too and the worst of the storm is still to hit.. how exactly is keeping people safe by not allowing them to travel an over reaction? All I see is TOCs responding appropriately to the forecasted weather, and avoiding another Stonehaven incident.

We will wait for the complete lack of anything blowing on to the lines or trees falling down overnight then.

A tree has already fallen down at Aughton Park, affecting Merseyrail services to and from Ormskirk.

There is flooding between Skipton and Lancaster, as well as between Oxenholme Lake District and Penrith

I know your comment is sarcasm

MarkWi72

Wind here to the South of the West Midlands conurbation is howling. Has been strengthening since 2pm .

Can’t see anyWCML trains running. Chiltern line has speed restrictions until 3am ( website source) I imagine this may be revised through the evening?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'll reserve judgement on the suspension of services for now, but it's unacceptable (albeit unsurprising) that TOCs' social media feeds are full of people being left in the lurch when it comes to overnight accommodation - with TOCs going so far as to claim that costs can't be claimed back.

Willie Bee

I'd imagine option 4 is likely to be the option you're most interested in, but it's also likely to be hardest to exercise. Nevertheless, it you want to go for it, I'd suggest contacting Northern via social media (e.g. Twitter) and asking them to redate the ticket, citing condition 28.3.

If they refuse to do so, I'd buy another ticket for whichever date you decide to travel and then contact Northern's customer services to claim back the cost of this. In my experience, train companies' customer services will often pay for things that the social media staff claim cannot be provided or reimbursed for.
Thanks for the great reply.

Sadly I am at that age meaning I DO have a senior railcard, but DON'T have Twitter, but perhaps I'll send them an email .. I can add a chosen date if (fingers crossed) they provide me with a free return ticket.

BTW .. thank you to the other members who replied too, regarding my question

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Wind here to the South of the West Midlands conurbation is howling. Has been strengthening since 2pm .

Can’t see anyWCML trains running. Chiltern line has speed restrictions until 3am ( website source) I imagine this may be revised through the evening?

I'm on a train on the WCML so I think you may be wrong there. Avanti is definitely winding down but WMT appears to be intending to operate a skeleton service as late as it can, at least based on what is in Realtime Trains.

Getting buffeted a bit though.

We just stopped at Long Buckby and it's not ridiculously windy there. If that suggests the predictions are right that London and the SE will largely escape, then the commuter services may well run fine tomorrow.

Established Member
Thanks for the great reply.

Sadly I am at that age meaning I DO have a senior railcard, but DON'T have Twitter, but perhaps I'll send them an email .. I can add a chosen date if (fingers crossed) they provide me with a free return ticket.

BTW .. thank you to the other members who replied too, regarding my question
Particularly as it's Northern*, it would surely be good PR to send you out a free return ticket in response to your taking their advice not to travel?

*Not meant as an insult, merely they're the only TOC I know of that do issue complimentary tickets on a "go anywhere" basis routinely.

MarkWi72

Hopefully not too much disruption then. It will be hard to pinpoint. Hopefully, the OLE will hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.