• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
125 first treated

Edit Appears some tl logos placed much further down on at least one 700 might be imagining it !

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
I'm intrigued by a couple of things on these.

1) 1st class section - why does it sound like there was a strong wind blowing through ajar window when the thing gets moving, as if the anti wheel slip mechanism was using air or something.

2) from the outside, when the doors close and driver releases the brakes it makes a series of quick pah pah pah pah pah's (I know it reads silly but that's how it sounds). Why does it do that rather than a single long pssssssssh? A fault perhaps?

That's the latest equipment from Knorr Bremse (who do the brakes) and is also found on LU S Stocks and a few other modern stocks. Not sure why it does it that way, but definitely not a fault.

EMD

That's the latest equipment from Knorr Bremse (who do the brakes) and is also found on LU S Stocks and a few other modern stocks. Not sure why it does it that way, but definitely not a fault.

Brakes made by Knorr? Bloody bean counters hahaha

knorr-blue-dragon-black-bean-sauce-2-2l-50175039.png

samuelmorris

Established Member
After terminating a train at Elephant & Castle at 7pm today due to a fault, the diagram was cancelled for the rest of the day and not only that, the other late night Sutton service was also cancelled. Any ideas what happened to cause this?
Friends of mine are potentially moving to Sutton soon and the last train home being 10:40 is pretty poor...

Spartacus

Established Member
After terminating a train at Elephant & Castle at 7pm today due to a fault, the diagram was cancelled for the rest of the day and not only that, the other late night Sutton service was also cancelled. Any ideas what happened to cause this?
Friends of mine are potentially moving to Sutton soon and the last train home being 10:40 is pretty poor...

Pantograph combined with the usual 700 computer says no <( (700005)

The last Luton - Sutton was cancelled due to a defective pass-com on 700022

MisterT

I have no experience with the 700, but we have a few units and locomotives in the Netherlands do the same thing (yes, we also use Knorr Bremse).
The units/locomotives have what we call in Dutch a 'halterem' or literally translated a 'station brake' (I have no idea what it is called in the UK), which is automatically applied when the speed drops below 2 km/h.
I don't have a better picture available at the moment on my phone, so it's the whole cab instead of the gauges, but you'll get the point, I hope.
For example in our Bombardier Traxx MS2e locomotives (click for the large original size):

At the right, next to the display on the right, you see two gauges. The upper gauge is the brake cylinder pressure gauge, which is currently at 4.5 bar, which means that the locomotive brakes are fully applied.
Below is the brake pipe gauge, at the moment at 5 bar, which means that the brakes on the coaches behind the loco are completely released. This way, only the loco brakes are applied.
As soon as I apply power, the loco brakes will release automatically. To avoid the train rolling backwards on uphill stations, the brakes are not released at once, but in a few steps. This way, I can built up the traction power before the brakes are released, to avoid rolling backwards.
You can hear it in a cab ride I recorded some time ago: https://youtube.com/watch?t=0m47s&v=vxKR5eHGELA from 0:49.

Last edited:

Spartacus

Established Member
Pantograph problem at Elephant ? That would be highly unusual to say the least.

Faulted at Kentish town where the computer issues first manifested themselves, leading to eventual cancellation at E&C. Experience shows there's little point in keeping it in service when the AI goes US.

387star

On Moderation
132 has new logos much further down bodyside possibly an error or a new styling !

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
Can't remember who it was said the 240v sockets can't be tripped, but I'm currently on 700039 (2V60) and they're all dead! ;)

bengley

Established Member
Typical. Couldve installed a small table

If it were my choice there would be no bays at all. Bays of seats are seriously abused by people who like putting their feet on the seats. I walked through a train one day not too long ago have had to ask twenty-four people to take their feet down.

It's disgusting and something needs to be done about it.

asylumxl

Established Member
If it were my choice there would be no bays at all. Bays of seats are seriously abused by people who like putting their feet on the seats. I walked through a train one day not too long ago have had to ask twenty-four people to take their feet down.

It's disgusting and something needs to be done about it.

To be honest, I find bays annoying for a different reason. You'll often find a 2 people sitting in them and very rarely will they move for a group of 3-4 people to sit together. If there's very few seats I can understand, but off-peak when it's more lightly loaded, not so much.

Domh245

Established Member
I have no experience with the 700, but we have a few units and locomotives in the Netherlands who do the same thing (yes, we also use Knorr Bremse).
The units/locomotives have what we call in Dutch a 'halterem' or literally translated a 'station brake' (I have no idea what it is called in the UK), which is automatically applied when the speed drops below 2 km/h.
I don't have a better picture available at the moment on my phone, so it's the whole cab instead of the gauges, but you'll get the point, I hope.
For example in our Bombardier Traxx MS2e locomotives (click for the large original size):

At the right, next to the display on the right, you see two gauges. The upper gauge is the brake cylinder pressure gauge, which is currently at 4.5 bar, which means that the locomotive brakes are fully applied.
Below is the brake pipe gauge, at the moment at 5 bar, which means that the brakes on the coaches behind the loco are completely released. This way, only the loco brakes are applied.
As soon as I try to drive away, the loco brakes will release automatically. To avoid the train rolling backwards on uphill stations, the brakes are not released at once, but in a few steps. This way, I can built up the traction before the brakes are released, to avoid rolling backwards.
You can hear it in a cab ride I recorded some time ago: https://youtube.com/watch?t=0m47s&v=vxKR5eHGELA from 0:49.

Your halterem sounds a bit like a spring applied parking brake. I don't think any UK mainline stock are fitted with these, but most trams are. I assume that it is air-operated, in which case a number of our trains do something similar in that the brakes only come in at a low speed, having slowed down from the higher speed using the motors to slow down.

Your explanation for the staged brake release certainly makes sense. Having done a bit more research (googling images of a class 700 cab!) I note that there isn't a hill start button (or one that is immediately obvious). In previous trains with only a single power/brake controller, there has been a button on the desk or on the power handle which allowed the brakes to stay on to allow the power to build up before then releasing past a certain speed/power notch.

westcoaster

Established Member
700 have a holding brake that auto applies as soon as it stops. It releases as soon as the train detects a positive power/movement. Holding Brake is 40%.

MisterT

Holding brake sounds exactly like it, thanks :)

It is, by the way, definitely not a spring applied parking brake: the units and the locomotives have those things too as a true parking brake. The holding brake is air operated, which is why you can hear the sound of the brakes releasing. The spring operated parking brakes are a lot less noticeable.

Last edited:

Bishopstone

Established Member
Now what's up with that hurricane like noise inside the first class compartment. Sounds as if the train was being suctioned onto the tracks when it sets off. I'm quite curious about this one.

Is it the St Albans mob descending en masse upon declassified first in the rear coach?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Had a 12 car 700 stop at Knebworth today, clearly testing SDO as the rear four doors didn't release. Stayed 10-20 seconds and off again.

6a3d9c43371b6b486cc1a05c7a510cd9.jpg

(image of train on platform 4)

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
I was on 112 yesterday, and under the DMCO at one end there was a fan going full chat permanently, could even be heard in the coach above it whilst travelling. I got off at ECR and as it departed it sounded like the Marston on an HST.!

samuelmorris

Established Member
First time I think I've been caught out by a failed unit, waiting outside CTK whilst a power fault is diagnosed. Was bound to happen eventually!

Status
Not open for further replies.