• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The annual "Boxing Day Trains" row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I object to paying tax to fund a taxi service for drunks.

Though Boxing Day trains aren't by and large taxi services for drunks. I used Merseyrail yesterday, it allowed me to do a "run out, train back" type thing. No need for it really but it was a pleasant morning. OTOH, I travel north to my family and back on Boxing Day each year by car, it'd be by train if there were any, and on the way back the M6 and M1 were busy - plenty of demand for the WCML there.

With regard to Christmas Eve this year, it was a special case - because it was a Saturday most who would normally travel on 24th did on 23rd.

With regard to staff being forced to work - for a reduced service like that on Merseyrail you don't need everyone, so if you make a good enough offer people will work. My Mum used to happily do Boxing Day in a bank call centre for, if I recall rightly, triple time (or may have been double + time off in lieu). And my observation of Merseyrail yesterday was of cheerful staff who were running a short day of easy, slackly timed services very much without the drunks (with the "fun" aspect of being able to run fast like the "big" railway). It didn't give the impression of people who didn't want to be there.

didcotdean

The conditions generally in place on the railway when Boxing Day services were first completely removed in England and Wales (1975) was time-and-a-half plus a day off in lieu.

The estimate then was that the total number of passengers would be 55,000.

adc82140

Established Member
Surely the obvious answer is to ask for volunteers back in the summer- gives plenty of time for planning & publicity. If enough come forward at all necessary grades, operate a service, if they don't, then no service. No compulsory working, but if the money's right it could suit some staff who have no other commitments.

jfisher21

I travelled on boxing day from rickmansworth to elm park. There were quite a few people around, about a third to half of seats taken. Definitely worth running the service. Final destination was romford so had to get bus from elm park as no greater Anglia! Keep Christmas day train free in my opinion.

bramling

Veteran Member
No, he said:

(emphasis added)

Ie if he's paid enough, he will do it. Even if not forced.

No, selective quoting.

He said "You may be perfectly happy to work Boxing Day but I assure there aren't enough like you to run a rail service without either being forced to or making the pay lucrative".

It doesn't follow that *he* would work Boxing Day by choice.

Saint66

The John Lewis store nearest to where we live was closed on Boxing Day,

Neither JL or Waitrose open on Boxing Day and have not done for a long time (Except in a few convenience stores in central London where staff have offered to work). The reason? The unique way the Partnership is run means staff across the company would have to vote in favour of opening on Boxing Day.

A contribution about staff power seems relevant in this thread!

route:oxford

Established Member
And how have you done that in the past?

For me it's usually BA from EDI to LHR, relying on a taxi or relative to take me to the airport from the Highlands. The "Airline" service along with a Stagecoach bus at the Oxford end.

I'd much rather take the train at the Scottish end to avoid the cost of a taxi or the expectation on a relative to taxi me.

route:oxford

Established Member
When on earth did I say I visited a retail park? Read the original post again.

I didn't say christmas was ruined either. Hard to ruin something I don't even celebrate.

You protested about access to retail parks.

But now you claim you don't do retail parks, you don't do Christmas.

So what interest do you have in the whole affair?

ian959

Meantime, some places not only have services on Boxing Day but also on Christmas Day. These places seem to have no problems with the arrangements and everything seems to work fine. Western Australia for instance. We can catch a train/bus/ferry on Christmas Day because the government has decided that whilst the demand is not huge, the suburban public transport network is a socially and economically necessary service that is required by people on Christmas Day who happen to work or don't have access to cars, amongst other things.

dk1

Veteran Member
Neither JL or Waitrose open on Boxing Day and have not done for a long time (Except in a few convenience stores in central London where staff have offered to work). The reason? The unique way the Partnership is run means staff across the company would have to vote in favour of opening on Boxing Day.

A contribution about staff power seems relevant in this thread!

Much respect to John Lewis & there staff. Hope they had a wonderful Boxing Day.

HLE

Established Member
How dare the rank and file be allowed to choice whether they want to work Boxing Day! They should do as they are told at all times!

Fair play to Waitrose.

E16 Cyclist

Its ironic how many rail staff spent their boxing day on a rail forum saying they'd never work boxing day...

Anyway removing the emotion from the argument the reason we don't have more boxing day services isn't actually the fault of staff not wanting to give up their holiday time but the train operating companies don't actually want to run more services as its not financially in their interest to do so, Chiltern for example are paid a fairly sizeable sum by Bicester Village to operate services boxing day and had they not done so would have been a lot less interested in providing any sort of boxing day service at all. Sadly we have to accept since privatisation the railways are operated for profit and not to act as a public service and despite whatever events happen on boxing day there isn't as much demand as people think and that makes them not commercially viable

tsr

Established Member

Whilst they may not have opened yesterday, on the traditional calendar date for Boxing Day, I certainly saw at least one or two larger Waitrose stores open on the "Bank Holiday in lieu of whichever day it is" today, whereas the one I wanted to use in London was firmly closed!

Master29

Established Member
I think two separate issues are at hand

Network Rail are quite right to carry out major works over the festive period, like they do at Easter and during the School Holidays. So any politician talking about engineering works is talking rubbish.

Why? I use the GWR in the SW over this period and what you say certainly isn't true in that case, although around the south east it is a different story of course. People who disagree aren't necessarily 'talking rubbish' at all. Still an element of first group not upsetting their
corporate buddies in the SW.

blakey1152

For the last few years, from what I can recall, Southeastern have run a boxing day service between Ashford International and St Pancras but this year it is between St Pancras and Gravesend - posters at Ashford's ticket offices advised that this was due to engineering work but I've just checked RealTimeTrains and see that both trains ran empty from Ashford to St Pancras this morning and will return this evening. Eurostar have a couple of services serving Ashford today, so where is this 'engineering work' taking place?

TIA

Simon

Southeastern used to run a service on Boxing Day on some of their metro routes although not all stations were open. I remember going up to London Victoria on a "fast" train from Slade Green with no stops one year - It was lovely!

As for the engineering work, It might have been the ongoing Crossrail work at Abbey Wood that's to blame or London Bridge as even though it's nowhere near HS1 or Ashford that's what Southeastern usually blame any engineering works on....

Blakey :)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Surely the obvious answer is to ask for volunteers back in the summer- gives plenty of time for planning & publicity. If enough come forward at all necessary grades, operate a service, if they don't, then no service. No compulsory working, but if the money's right it could suit some staff who have no other commitments.

I would agree with this, and for the right money I suspect the required amount of volunteers would be easily obtained. If they aren't, up the money until they are (or it becomes uneconomic, in which case don't bother).

If the railway wants to provide a service, and some staff want to work, potentially for a higher sum, to provide it, I don't see why any other staff should seek to prevent them from doing so. However I do think it should be "volunteers only" so nobody is forced to work it.

The thing is, Merseyrail have done it for two years now - it is clearly viable - and that is in a city which is typically "left-leaning" and union-driven when it comes to industrial relations - so you can be sure that if the staff didn't want to work it, it wouldn't have happened.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.