• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Apprentice 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Anyone been watching this years ?

The process is in my view somewhat flawed as both Girls Team Leaders cocked up big time in the first two tasks last week.

However as the team won their shortcomings are quickly forgotten in the euphoria of victory.

People who stand back and do nothing in the first few weeks are rarely called into the Boardroom.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thank God that Nurun has gone she was completely useless :p

At least Lindsay was honest enough to admit she had screwed up and "walk the plank"

There are to many Non-UK candidates this year - have they not got their own shows to go on.

That Felipe did "f*** all" tonight unless he was heavily edited out :p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Anyone been watching this years ?

The process is in my view somewhat flawed as both Girls Team Leaders cocked up big time in the first two tasks last week.

However as the team won their shortcomings are quickly forgotten in the euphoria of victory.

People who stand back and do nothing in the first few weeks are rarely called into the Boardroom.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thank God that Nurun has gone she was completely useless :p

At least Lindsay was honest enough to admit she had screwed up and "walk the plank"

There are to many Non-UK candidates this year - have they not got their own shows to go on.

That Felipe did "f*** all" tonight unless he was heavily edited out :p

In reality though it was a dead heat between the two teams and one from each team should have been chucked, starting with Sarah from the other team.

Qwerty133

Established Member
Stephen would both be gone if I was in charge (sacked on first task), and seriously why wasn't it pointed out that if the team followed through on the order James arranged at the hotel they'd have won?

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I thought the annoying blonde PA women should have gone in the first task, but she won by pure luck.

I also thought it was brave of Lindsay to stand up and say you know what, this isn't for me. Fair play to here.

I wouldn't have fired Nurun this task. I would have fired James because of his boardroom attitude, unethical business practices and simply trying to get volume of sales rather than margin. Him selling at whatever price he wanted to - completely ignoring the pricing strategy - directly damaged the team.

Butts

Veteran Member
I thought the annoying blonde PA women should have gone in the first task, but she won by pure luck.

I also thought it was brave of Lindsay to stand up and say you know what, this isn't for me. Fair play to here.

I wouldn't have fired Nurun this task. I would have fired James because of his boardroom attitude, unethical business practices and simply trying to get volume of sales rather than margin. Him selling at whatever price he wanted to - completely ignoring the pricing strategy - directly damaged the team.

Whilst James was a little bombastic, I believe he probably has more potential than Nurun in the long term. The biggest mystery to me is how Lindsay got through the selection process, I think she was a "swimming instructor" ?

Last edited:

harry42

:rolleyes:
Whilst James was a little bombastic, I believe he probably has more potential than Nurun in the long term. The biggest mystery to me is how Lindsay got through the selection process, I think she was a "swimming instructor" ?

James needs shutting up - he made the team fail by selling at lower prices despite clear instructions from the (in my opinion, very good) PM on pricing. £14 between...if he sold them for more that makes a win.

"I can sell these - cancel the sale to the shop" He does sell them but not for as much. He just needs to engage brain before opening gob.

Moron (sorry, Nurun) deserved to go, she did nothing.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
James completely misunderstood the fundamental idea of the task. That is a pretty basic mistake in business. He failed to realise that it was all about profit, and not volume of sales. He should have gone, no doubt in my mind.

After three tasks, in my view the weakest candidates are Sarah, Stephen and James. We haven't seen very much of some of them, because it's so edited, but the editing focuses on the most entertaining candidates (or idiots) in the first few weeks.

I felt quite sorry for Lindsay, though. She came across as far too likeable for The Apprentice. I hope she continues to do well with her swimming academy.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I felt very sorry for Lindsay too. The only one who seemed normal and she was gone.

As for the rest of them, they're nothing that a group booking at Dignitas wouldn't solve.

Gemz91

Stating that there is too many non UK contestants, when I checked the BBC Apprentice website a few weeks ago (I could check again but can't be bothered) all the contestants live in the UK, except two of the girls who are from Dublin.

Butts

Veteran Member
Stating that there is too many non UK contestants, when I checked the BBC Apprentice website a few weeks ago (I could check again but can't be bothered) all the contestants live in the UK, except two of the girls who are from Dublin.

Just because they live in the UK does not mean they are British - that Felipe certainly is not.

As for the Irish Girls is there still not an Irish version of the show, there used to be.

Gemz91

Just because they live in the UK does not mean they are British - that Felipe certainly is not.

As for the Irish Girls is there still not an Irish version of the show, there used to be.

Can't answer the question about whether their is an Irish version of the show or not.

Are you really suggesting only British people should appear on the show?

Butts

Veteran Member
Interesting.... Do you feel the need for passport control on all British TV programmes, Big Brother, Countdown and Total Wipeout for example, or just The Apprentice?

No, I just feel it should be an opportunity for young British people with an entrepreneurial flare to showcase their talents.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
No, I just feel it should be an opportunity for young British people with an entrepreneurial flare to showcase their talents.

Didn't they try that with Young Apprentice? That didn't last very long!

meridian2

That rules out Andy Murray then! :roll:

Seriously, though, we are a multicultural society, and that should be reflected in modern shows like the Apprentice, not some user's pithy nostalgia.

Y961 XBU

I would say so far the lads have been shambles, am going to watch EP3 in a bit but in EP1 and EP2 they where a joke overall

Busaholic

Veteran Member
James completely misunderstood the fundamental idea of the task. That is a pretty basic mistake in business. He failed to realise that it was all about profit, and not volume of sales. He should have gone, no doubt in my mind.

After three tasks, in my view the weakest candidates are Sarah, Stephen and James. We haven't seen very much of some of them, because it's so edited, but the editing focuses on the most entertaining candidates (or idiots) in the first few weeks.

I felt quite sorry for Lindsay, though. She came across as far too likeable for The Apprentice. I hope she continues to do well with her swimming academy.

I'd like to endorse all that you say. Lindsay was almost likeable, to my eyes, and her realisation perhaps not so much that she wasn't up to it but that she'd got herself mixed up in something with which she felt no empathy made me respect her even more: plus she must have agreed to them showing the way in which she left, because in the past others have suddemly disappeared between shows never to be heard from again.
I'm sure some of the contestants must be less bombastic and egocentric than how they portray themselves (it wouldn' be hard) but others really are that self-delusional, it would seem.
Still, it makes great entertainment and should be entered for comedy awards.

CC 72100

Established Member
Lindsay and Norun both came across very well on 'You're fired' in my view. I think both of them weren't cut out for the apprentice, and so probably went at the right time.

Sarah I imagine will be in the firing line at the first possible opportunity. She was embarrassing on task 1 with her modern theories such as "let's wear short skirts to get sales" and "I'm the manager, I'm managing this task (despite the 20-long queue of customers)" - surely a good manager in that situation should much in, for both fostering good relations with her team and for the benefit of her customers waiting!

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'd like to endorse all that you say. Lindsay was almost likeable, to my eyes, and her realisation perhaps not so much that she wasn't up to it but that she'd got herself mixed up in something with which she felt no empathy made me respect her even more: plus she must have agreed to them showing the way in which she left, because in the past others have suddemly disappeared between shows never to be heard from again.
I'm sure some of the contestants must be less bombastic and egocentric than how they portray themselves (it wouldn' be hard) but others really are that self-delusional, it would seem.
Still, it makes great entertainment and should be entered for comedy awards.

Lindsay's honesty in admitting she hadn't done very well and not as well as she'd hoped was a very endearing and refreshing quality in amongst all the egos. I don;t think she really enjoyed doing the tasks, or the dog eat dog nature of the competition, and this is something she couldn't have known until she was exposed to it.

I think that the fired candidates usually come across better afterwards. Partly I suspect this is due tot eh editing, and partly due to them acting in a way that they think is necessary in the show.

There are two elements to the entertainment to me. Firstly, seeing arrogant so and so's being taken down a peg or two, and also watching the talented ones emerge from the crowd, growing as the process develops.

Gemz91

Fair enough, I can understand your point with that.

Personally, if someones moved to Great Britain and conciser it their home here I'm happy for them to take part.

Oswyntail

Established Member
....people with an entrepreneurial flare to showcase their talents.
So far, across all the series, I can think of very few with a genuine "entrepreneurial flair". Barrow boys, good at shouting and bullying, certainly. But I can think of a few, perhaps including Lindsay, who thought it might have been about such flair, and were dismayed at the crass stupidity of most of the others.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
I felt really bad for Lindsay last night, poor woman. :(

I'd really quite like it if Sarah and Steven were fired pretty sharpish. Both of them annoy me to no end. Ditto with Felipe Massa oh, wait sorry, wrong Felipe there. :p

Don't know who I really want to win the show this year. I was gonna go with Roisin on the basis that she saved the women's team from defeat in Week 1, but then yesterday's episode happened...

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't hold Roisin responsible for losing the task. Her only fault was that she failed to control James's desire to flog off everything at whatever price he could get, seriously undervaluing the product.

Yes, she should have made it a bit clearer so that young James, who doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool int he box, knew he had to stick top the pricing, but otherwise I felt she was pretty focused, knew what the task was all about and led the team well. She also had to cope with Nurun and Lindsay's lack of input, so I don't think she dd a bad job at all and I'm confident she will be there for at least a few weeks yet. Steven, James and Sarah have to go first!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Indeed. It will get more interesting now however, there is no longer any stand-out deadwood.

How about the lawyer in the defeated team, Lauren (?) Just as culpable for the failure as Sarah this time round, although the latter had been living on borrowed time. Both videos were execrable, though, and once again the 'winners' did so by the squeakiest of margins. My tip for next reject, if on losing side, is James: I am sure Sugar has already decided he couldn't work with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.