• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Apprentice 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Best ending to any boardroom scene, ever. Couldn't have happened to a nicer trio of candidates. :D:D:D

Thank God "Slippery Steven" with his annoying effete north American voice has been dispatched. His pitch was worse than the Titanic's after hitting the Iceberg:p (both his voice and presentation)

Sara I feel sorry for - what's wrong with suggesting "applying a bit of slap and wearing short skirts" to sell - am I old fashioned ?

Ella Jade - there are worse "survivors" still in the house.

Roisin looked good in a bikini entering The Blue Lagoon - am I allowed to say that ? - oh who gives a simians :p

Searle

Established Member
Thank God "Slippery Steven" with his annoying effete north American voice has been dispatched. His pitch was worse than the Titanic's after hitting the Iceberg:p (both his voice and presentation)

Sara I feel sorry for - what's wrong with suggesting "applying a bit of slap and wearing short skirts" to sell - am I old fashioned ?

Roisin looked good in a bikini entering The Blue Lagoon - am I allowed to say that ? - oh who gives a simians :p

yes, you are old fashioned :lol:

Abpj17

No, I just feel it should be an opportunity for young British people with an entrepreneurial flare to showcase their talents.

Why? Despite being on the BBC, it's not a showcase per se, it's a recruitment/investment exercise for Lord Sugar.

The make-up/skirt thing was awful. Yes, women may use it to their advantage sometimes. But having that as your strategy/vocalising it just isn't ok. (And the way she said it implied that it was to compensate for lack of business skills).

Felipe is entitled to a British passport/citizenship. His mother was born in London. Even if she wasn't he's been here since he was 17 and seems ideal citizen material - he's worked and studied hard by the look of it http://www.felipealviar-baquero.com/felipe-s-biography/

(And I have to say that his business looks pretty cool - http://yourtinytown.co.uk/gallery.html)

Last edited:

afyutr

I'm surprised old Al hasn't just given the lot of em the finger and started again this time round.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well the most interesting thing about tonight's program was when Lord Sugar claimed he is able to fire people seemingly at will with no boardroom presence required - has he ever invoked this power in the past ?

Gemma committed hari kari tonight with her remarks about never winning or whatever it was - mind you she was useless. That Bianca was lucky to survive -is she a mannequin her face looks strangely taut all the time.

You have to hand it to Solomon - he did f all but stayed under the radar and out of the Boardroom - class :p

Anyone notice the first use of the f word for a while (may even be series) when the winners were enjoying their treat.

Poor Daniel was ostracized despite being the winning Captain - that Irish Bitch Pamela was sticking the knife in ably assisted by Aussie Mark. :lol:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
To be fair Mark absolutely carried that team and Daniel did relatively nothing. Can't wait for either James and / or Daniel to go (preferably both). Very rarely I find is the winning captain the best member of a team.

IanD

Established Member
Well the most interesting thing about tonight's program was when Lord Sugar claimed he is able to fire people seemingly at will with no boardroom presence required - has he ever invoked this power in the past ?

He made it clear that he could do that at the start and had already fired one person pre-board room this series. Can't remember her name and can't be bothered to Google but she ran a swimming school and looked like she was about to quit anyway.

Butts

Veteran Member
He made it clear that he could do that at the start and had already fired one person pre-board room this series. Can't remember her name and can't be bothered to Google but she ran a swimming school and looked like she was about to quit anyway.

What would be really revolutionary would be if he fired someone from the winning team :idea:

Searle

Established Member
I would have loved it if he had fired James on the spot. It's really wound me up that Solomon didn't bring James back (because he's his mate), and that he didn't go himself. Neither Gemma or Bianca really did much to hinder the task (apart from that last pitch which was admittedly poor!), but Solomon completely buggered up the pricing and didn't go for it.

Felipe and his Oxford facts was a highlight though :lol:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator

Agreed!

Yes, you are old fashioned! It was wrong to say that, not least because it immediately alienated her from the others, and she never really recovered.

Agreed again! James is the stand out, but Sanjay is a close second!

You can say it, but it isn't in any way relevant to the process :D

was a shock to see the lot of them go, I thought Ella was gonna come out of that aswell!

I wish she had. I think the clincher was that her business idea was related tot he task in which she failed to perform.

Only with Lindsay this year, and I look upon that as more of a resignation than a firing.

Gemma committed hari kari tonight with her remarks about never winning or whatever it was - mind you she was useless. That Bianca was lucky to survive -is she a mannequin her face looks strangely taut all the time.

I think Gemma was drowned out by the vocal idiots. It happens every year. She didn't big herself up enough or push herself forward. I thought she contributed, but she was in the background too much rather than forcing herself to be more visible.

You have to hand it to Solomon - he did f all but stayed under the radar and out of the Boardroom - class :p

Anyone notice the first use of the f word for a while (may even be series) when the winners were enjoying their treat.

Poor Daniel was ostracized despite being the winning Captain - that Irish Bitch Pamela was sticking the knife in ably assisted by Aussie Mark. :lol:

Although I didn't think Daniel did very well on the task I did have some sympathy for his comments about the treat. I'm sure he'd have preferred the Blue Lagoon in Iceland to a terrifying descent of the tallest sculpture in London!

I wouldn't describe him as 'poor Daniel', though. He pushed himself forward but didn't deliver, at least the way the epsiode was edited he didn't. His lunch was a mess!

What would be really revolutionary would be if he fired someone from the winning team :idea:

I'd love to see that!

I would have loved it if he had fired James on the spot. It's really wound me up that Solomon didn't bring James back (because he's his mate), and that he didn't go himself. Neither Gemma or Bianca really did much to hinder the task (apart from that last pitch which was admittedly poor!), but Solomon completely buggered up the pricing and didn't go for it.

Felipe and his Oxford facts was a highlight though :lol:

Do you mean Sanjay? Solomon was in charge of the video channel task and did quite a good job!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

I think we'll get that at some point in this series. They started with far more candidates than ever before and the only reason is so they can do more multiple-firings. It's good telly innit.

As for last night, I wonder what they tell the punters that the camera crew is for. Who in their right mind would go on a bus tour organised by Apprentice contestants? You know it's going to be an hilarious disaster, that's the whole point of the task. I also wonder if the Beeb give them their money back...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Even if James managed to be on the winning team for the next two or three weeks I'm sure he'll get the chop. Not only is he never wrong (not alone in that among the candidates of course) but he never learns from anything Sralan, Nick or Karen tell him.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think we'll get that at some point in this series. They started with far more candidates than ever before and the only reason is so they can do more multiple-firings. It's good telly innit.

As for last night, I wonder what they tell the punters that the camera crew is for. Who in their right mind would go on a bus tour organised by Apprentice contestants? You know it's going to be an hilarious disaster, that's the whole point of the task. I also wonder if the Beeb give them their money back...

If I had to endure a trip with an idiot like James singing 'Wheels on the Bus' you can bet your house that I'd not rest until I received a refund.

More seriously, with the general fear these days of scams, I'd be very surprised if there weren't some assurances given by the BBC/production company that the one off pop up companies are not going to rip people off.

Butts

Veteran Member
Even if James managed to be on the winning team for the next two or three weeks I'm sure he'll get the chop. Not only is he never wrong (not alone in that among the candidates of course) but he never learns from anything Sralan, Nick or Karen tell him.

I feel you may be correct in the above assumption about James. Had another thought - what if Nick and Karen were allowed to Fire people mid -task ?

Strat-tastic

Established Member
More seriously, with the general fear these days of scams, I'd be very surprised if there weren't some assurances given by the BBC/production company that the one off pop up companies are not going to rip people off.

I think it's likely to be poor quality on occasion. Look at the packed lunches the one team provided. They don't have to concern themselves with building a reputation with it being a one-off business venture. Game theory would dictate that doing things on the cheap is the way to go about it. Shame is, the punters get an awful sandwich and no drink.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think it's likely to be poor quality on occasion. Look at the packed lunches the one team provided. They don't have to concern themselves with building a reputation with it being a one-off business venture. Game theory would dictate that doing things on the cheap is the way to go about it. Shame is, the punters get an awful sandwich and no drink.

Exactly. Given the usual advice given about travel/tourism is to research who you are intending to use to make sure they have a good track record and won't just disappear with your money, I would never pay £100's for a tour by a bunch of people who'd never done it before and would never do it again without a set of assurances about refunds and satisfaction!

Thinking about it, I'm surprised they didn't offer to take other currencies, and use Dynamic Currency Conversion to add an extra bit of profit!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Exactly. Given the usual advice given about travel/tourism is to research who you are intending to use to make sure they have a good track record and won't just disappear with your money, I would never pay £100's for a tour by a bunch of people who'd never done it before and would never do it again without a set of assurances about refunds and satisfaction!

Thinking about it, I'm surprised they didn't offer to take other currencies, and use Dynamic Currency Conversion to add an extra bit of profit!

Although the programme makers would probably never admit it, I'm sure the people forking out for such a naff experience will be amply recompensed later, by a 'performance fee' or whatever. After all. they are part of the entertainment and to be shown as a sucker, even by a TV programme in a country foreign to lots of them, would be galling without the boodle.

Bakerloo

I've been impressed with Mark actually, seems to know his stuff.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Yes he definitely appears to be one of the serious candidates with a generally well argued rationale.

Thanks for the welcome.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Although the programme makers would probably never admit it, I'm sure the people forking out for such a naff experience will be amply recompensed later, by a 'performance fee' or whatever. After all. they are part of the entertainment and to be shown as a sucker, even by a TV programme in a country foreign to lots of them, would be galling without the boodle.

Absolutely. I don't think the series would work without it. I've always thought that a ton of work goes in behind the scenes to set these things up, and part of that must be a guarantee of some sort, maybe on the food tasks it's a guarantee of acceptable hygiene and an undertaking to compensate for any illness suffered!

I agree that Mark looks a very strong candidate. I think Katie has a good chance too.

Butts

Veteran Member
Absolutely. I don't think the series would work without it. I've always thought that a ton of work goes in behind the scenes to set these things up, and part of that must be a guarantee of some sort, maybe on the food tasks it's a guarantee of acceptable hygiene and an undertaking to compensate for any illness suffered!

I agree that Mark looks a very strong candidate. I think Katie has a good chance too.

Solomon is my favourite , although I don't think he'll win :p

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I don't mind who wins as long as it's not James or that lawyer woman whose name I've forgotten who apparently managed to share some cupboard space with him (not that I ever read tittle-tattle)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't know any tittle tattle, but any lawyer who shared cupboard space with that annoying little herbert should be disciplined for bringing the profession into disrepute!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I don't know any tittle tattle, but any lawyer who shared cupboard space with that annoying little herbert should be disciplined for bringing the profession into disrepute!

Is it called defrocking in the case of the legal profession?:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.