• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Apprentice 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Are these Business Plans not vetted in advance ? - someone got kicked out on the basis of theirs a few weeks ago

I believe they have to submit something like a one page summary of what the plan is and what it's going to be. Last night was about providing a fully fledged plan with figures and plans and projections rather than just saying 'this is what I want to do' and putting pretty pictures on it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Which is where one of them fell down very badly, of course!

I did think Claude Littner was being a bit too nice at the start of his interview. 'ey up, what's coming???

As soon as that started up I thought to myself 'this is going to be good' and sure enough it was! I've seen them being accused of fraud, trying to swindle Lord Sugar but I don't think I've seen one of them just told to get out of the room (and then walk the wrong way) :lol:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I know it's Claude's job to be an absolute arsehole (he does it very well) but I can't be the only one who finds not shaking someone's hand when they've reached out to reprehensible. It's just straight up bad manners.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I did think Claude Littner was being a bit too nice at the start of his interview. 'ey up, what's coming??? :o

Oh yes, it was brilliant editing to cut after the nice bits, I thought to myself 'That can't be it, there's something terrible coming later!'

As soon as that started up I thought to myself 'this is going to be good' and sure enough it was! I've seen them being accused of fraud, trying to swindle Lord Sugar but I don't think I've seen one of them just told to get out of the room (and then walk the wrong way) :lol:

It was good, and, I think, justified. It's Claude's job to really drill down into the business plan, but there was nothing there for him to get into, so he couldn't actually ask any meaningful questions.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I would have liked to see Solomon stick up for himself, to sit there and demand a chance to defend himself and his plan. It would take a cool head to keep his composure in that situation but I think it would show strength of character.

Or am I being urealistic?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think you may. Without much of a plan, what is there to defend? He'd already waffled on about 'ideas' when he saw that Mike chap (apologies if I've got his name wrong) and didn't exactly come out of it well.

I think it was kinder to send him out, actually!

southern442

Established Member

Last series Jordan went through a similar ordeal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfEjxEm2DVs

Butts

Veteran Member
I believe they have to submit something like a one page summary of what the plan is and what it's going to be. Last night was about providing a fully fledged plan with figures and plans and projections rather than just saying 'this is what I want to do' and putting pretty pictures on it.

So Solomon obviously used the same document twice :p

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Terrible news has been announced that this will be Nick's final year :(

Lord Sugar's adviser on The Apprentice Nick Hewer is to leave the BBC One show after a decade.

The 70-year-old PR expert has appeared on the UK version of the programme since it started in 2005.

He has worked with Lord Sugar since 1983 when he began promoting the Labour peer's Amstrad electronics brand.

Hewer said he thought it was the "appropriate time" to step down but that his departure was with "relief tinged with regret".

His exit was announced as he filmed the final of this year's series, which will be screened on Sunday at 21:00 GMT.

Source

I can only hope he'll still put in appearances on Have I Got News For You where he is usually excellent.

Phirstman

Three episodes this week then.

The first (the Final Five) was a little disappointing - I was hoping for a little more insight into the business plans before the main episode (without giving away the obvious flaws etc.)

The interview episode is always a favourite and was brilliant!

Tonight's series review was very good and reminded of a few funny moments.

The final two - from Lord Sugar's perspective I feel Mark's idea will yield more money but Bianca's will help diversify Sugar's portfolio - so based on this as long as both 'perform' well in the final it'll be interesting to see which way he goes...

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Has anyone seen Bianca's tights for sale or Mark's climboline companies? If they are setting the business up on the last episode then they should be trading if they won.

What gift should the loser get on the You're Hired show after?

Abpj17

Has anyone seen Bianca's tights for sale or Mark's climboline companies? If they are setting the business up on the last episode then they should be trading if they won.

The timing doesn't usually work like that - the 250k doesn't get handed over until after the final (and trading doesn't start until after).

ralphchadkirk

Established Member

The final boardroom has only just been filmed so they won't have started yet.

CC 72100

Established Member
Terrible news has been announced that this will be Nick's final year :(

Source

I can only hope he'll still put in appearances on Have I Got News For You where he is usually excellent.

Maybe not experienced enough, but I think ricky could be a suitable replacement - as I said, I thought he came across very well in the interviews, and he knows the process inside out. Will miss Nick's classic facial expressions though.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Most of the series is filmed well in advance, usually about six months. When the prize was a job he normally had both finalists working in his companies before the final decision. I'm not sure what he has them doing now, but the final is only filmed a few days before transmission.

I hope they get a good replacement for Nick. They managed to when the Blessed Margaret left, so fingers crossed. Wonder if they'll get Katie Hopkins on? :lol:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well that would be one way to the kill the show if the BBC aren't keen on carrying on!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I wouldn't be surprised if Ricky was introduced into the interview stage as a sort of audition with a view to him replacing Nick.

I'd prefer to see someone with more experience though, even if it turned out to be Claude!

southern442

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if Ricky was introduced into the interview stage as a sort of audition with a view to him replacing Nick.

I'd prefer to see someone with more experience though, even if it turned out to be Claude!

God. Not Claude.

It would be quite funny to have him on but they could at least get someone on who has some manners.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think Claude is best deployed in the interview stage rather than being a regular feature. He's manner, whilst effective at shaking the candidates up (which is surely the point), would begin to grind both them and the audience if it was every week.

I quite like the idea of Ricky myself. It's an interesting dynamic as he can sit there being 'I've been where you are and I succeeded. What about you?'.

CallySleeper

Established Member
The final will just come down to whether Sugar wants to take a punt on hosiery or is more comfortable with Mark sticking to what he knows and does. I think it'll be the latter.

You say that though but if you remember Lord Sugar also felt taking Leah (cosmetics) on last year carried a greater degree of risk than Luisa (baking)

Eng274

You say that though but if you remember Lord Sugar also felt taking Leah (cosmetics) on last year carried a greater degree of risk than Luisa (baking)

He dodged a massive bullet by not hiring Luisa. However robust her business plan was, she could have been a major PR disaster for suralan.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
God. Not Claude.

It would be quite funny to have him on but they could at least get someone on who has some manners.

But he's able to suck up to Suralan with the best of them, laughing at his feeble (scripted?) jokes. Nick Hewer is by far the brightest, as well as the most urbane, of the three regulars, at least since Margaret left and she sucked up to no-one. Time to ditch the show I'd say or get another successful entrepreneur and a less cheesy format.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I did wonder why they replaced Margaret Mountford with that idiot Ricky, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were screentesting him to replace Nick Hewer.

It'd be a shame, really you need someone who has actually achieved something. If they don't do that they might as well retire the format.

CC 72100

Established Member
I did wonder why they replaced Margaret Mountford with that idiot Ricky, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were screentesting him to replace Nick Hewer.

It'd be a shame, really you need someone who has actually achieved something. If they don't do that they might as well retire the format.

Why is Ricky suddenly 'an idiot' in your eyes? He's been through the process so knows it inside out, and obviously has done well enough if the business that he set up - if things weren't going well, knowing Sir Alan's egoism, you could bet your bottom dollar he'd be forgotten and Sir Alan certainly wouldn't be putting him 'in the limelight'.

Status
Not open for further replies.