• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The King has cancer.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Announced in the last five minutes. :( It is not prostate cancer, despite him receiving treatment for an enlarged prostate - later confirmed to be benign - but while he was being treated another issue was found, which is a different form of currently undisclosed cancer.

I hope he recovers well.

King Charles has been diagnosed with a form of cancer, says Buckingham Palace.
It is not prostate cancer, but was discovered during his recent treatment for an enlarged prostate.
The type of cancer has not been revealed, but according to a palace statement the King began "regular treatments" on Monday.
Buckingham Palace says the King "remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible".
He will postpone his public engagements and it is expected other senior royals will help to stand in for him during his treatment.
No further details are being shared on the stage of cancer or a prognosis.
Although he will pause his public events, the King, 75, will continue with his constitutional role as head of state.
He was seen at a church service in Sandringham on Sunday, where he waved to crowds.
He had a prostate procedure at a private London hospital more than a week ago.
The King had chosen to go public about his prostate treatment, with the aim of encouraging more men to get prostate checks, the palace said at the time.
He was said to have been delighted to have raised awareness about the issue, with the NHS website reporting a surge in issues about prostate conditions.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
If ''regular treatment'' began today, it is very likely to be radiotherapy, which is used in the first instance on a range of cancers. At least he will be assured of the best treatment.

uglymonkey

Could be chemo? Depends on the type and what stage its at. Hopefully they will have caught it early.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Could be chemo? Depends on the type and what stage its at. Hopefully they will have caught it early.
Indeed, but radiotherapy is more likely in the first instance for someone (anyone) who is not so ill as to be an in-patient I'd have thought.

gswindale

Wishing him all the best, but slightly surprised that it warranted a short break in normal programming as "breaking news" on the drive home this evening.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It sounds a little ominous, as Harry is flying back and it's taken a little time for the news of the diagnosis to break. Of course I hope the episode encourages other people to get themselves checked; my dad is about the same age as Charles and every year is a blessing at his age.

dangie

Established Member
...Of course I hope the episode encourages other people to get themselves checked; my dad is about the same age as Charles and every year is a blessing at his age.
I’m two years younger than King Charles. I have a prostate PSA blood test every six months. However that is just for prostate cancer, not for any other cancers. I don’t know how they would check for other cancers?

Charles of course would have had a full body scan that is how his cancer has been discovered. I very much doubt if this would be available to the general population. I’m sure we’d have to exhibit symptom's of one form or another before we were referred for further checks and just hope time is on our side.

Bayum

Established Member
Yikes. He seems to be remaining positive which is good.

Not made the news here in the USA just yet.
Wait ‘til he starts on the chemo.

I’m two years younger than King Charles. I have a prostate PSA blood test every six months. However that is just for prostate cancer, not for any other cancers. I don’t know how they would check for other cancers?

Charles of course would have had a full body scan that is how his cancer has been discovered. I very much doubt if this would be available to the general population. I’m sure we’d have to exhibit symptom's of one form or another before we were referred for further checks and just hope time is on our side.
Private MRIs exist. Problem is, ‘whole body scans’ take time and resources. An MRI of my shoulder took 45mins. An MRI of my pelvis and rectum post tumour removal was an hour.

azOOOOOma

Full body MRI scans are available to all and you can self refer. They cost around a grand. Loose change for your average boomer pensioner or you can get them through my current work benefits package where you can spread the cost. Anyone can get one so I’d recommend people do it.

Senex

Established Member
Now - on every single network.
Much sympathy to the man and every best wish for the success of the treatment. But the BBC was, as ever, totally over the top in its coverage with the whole of the BBC1 6pm news save for no more than a couple of minutes at the end devoted to this and far too much of the using fawning royal correspondents.

75A

Established Member
Much sympathy to the man and every best wish for the success of the treatment. But the BBC was, as ever, totally over the top in its coverage with the whole of the BBC1 6pm news save for no more than a couple of minutes at the end devoted to this and far too much of the using fawning royal correspondents.
No more than you'd expect from the BBC.

ChrisC

Established Member
I also wish the King all the best for the success of his treatent.
On the subject of the BBC coverage, I don’t think it was too bad in comparison to ITV. The BBC only extended their 6 o’clock news by 5 minutes and then broadcast their regional news programmes as normal.
ITV completely cancelled their regional news programmes and had a news programme lasting 90 minutes at 6pm instead.

jfollows

Established Member
The BBC World Service, which normally has some sanity, was just as bad, 55 minutes of "coverage".
I'm as sympathetic towards the man as I am to anyone I don't know who's diagnosed with cancer, as you say.
The fawning correspondents tend to have silly "posh" names and talk in terms of "one's feelings" and so on, total claptrap in my opinion.

75A

Established Member
I also wish the King all the best for the success of his treatent.
On the subject of the BBC coverage, I don’t think it was too bad in comparison to ITV. The BBC only extended their 6 o’clock news by 5 minutes and then broadcast their regional news programmes as normal.
ITV completely cancelled their regional news programmes and had a news programme lasting 90 minutes at 6pm instead.
I'm glad I was out last night then.

birchesgreen

Established Member
You mean there was a lot of coverage on the national media about it, almost like it was the Head of State or something.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Obviously he will never reign as long as his late mother, but I hope he will make a good few years yet. Get better soon, Charles.

Fermiboson

Full body MRI scans are available to all and you can self refer. They cost around a grand. Loose change for your average boomer pensioner or you can get them through my current work benefits package where you can spread the cost. Anyone can get one so I’d recommend people do it.
It is important to note that full body scans and constant monitoring of this sort start to produce a large amount of false positives. The false positive rates of tests for severe diseases are generally much higher than the false negative rates, for obvious reasons, and they are not designed for one to simply do it for leisure. There is a reason doctors only refer patients for intensive monitoring when something else is wrong, and it’s not because it saves them money.

You mean there was a lot of coverage on the national media about it, almost like it was the Head of State or something.
I had a touch of big C a few years ago. It was testicular in nature. I had an op and in this respect, and this respect only, I'm now like Hitler and also very similar to Himmler.
I'm glad my problem wasn't on the 6 o'clock news though.
I hope the old boy gets fully better.

Lost property

The BBC World Service, which normally has some sanity, was just as bad, 55 minutes of "coverage".
I'm as sympathetic towards the man as I am to anyone I don't know who's diagnosed with cancer, as you say.
The fawning correspondents tend to have silly "posh" names and talk in terms of "one's feelings" and so on, total claptrap in my opinion.
I think you're getting slightly confused here.

True, the various correspondents do tend to try and add as much fawning "gravitas " as they can muster, but, the real nausea comes when the "royalty experts " appear as you've noted.

Quite what a "royalty expert " is, I've never been too sure. Apart from having the ability to spout / vomit about some obscure and arcane protocols, which makes them sound convincing if nothing else, but which are, I suggest, of no interest to about 99.999% of the population, only themselves

The real "hilarity" however comes when reference is made to the Royal "workload" and how arduous it seemingly is. Really ?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was thinking that. Old man gets cancer isn't national breaking news this is true. Head of State of country gets cancer however does feel like something that might warrant some coverage...

jfollows

Established Member
I think you're getting slightly confused here.

True, the various correspondents do tend to try and add as much fawning "gravitas " as they can muster, but, the real nausea comes when the "royalty experts " appear as you've noted.

Quite what a "royalty expert " is, I've never been too sure. Apart from having the ability to spout / vomit about some obscure and arcane protocols, which makes them sound convincing if nothing else, but which are, I suggest, of no interest to about 99.999% of the population, only themselves

The real "hilarity" however comes when reference is made to the Royal "workload" and how arduous it seemingly is. Really ?
Yes, I'm sure you're right, my brain tends to shut down at the point the main newsreader says "and now we go to our royal correspondent" and my mind then elides what he/she says along with what Diana Twizzleton-Fiennes (pronounced "Smith") comes on to say with strangled vowels and mangled English afterwards, and I only recover into some kind of post-fantasy reality when the news gets back to something important (after about 55 minutes maybe).

azOOOOOma

It is important to note that full body scans and constant monitoring of this sort start to produce a large amount of false positives. The false positive rates of tests for severe diseases are generally much higher than the false negative rates, for obvious reasons, and they are not designed for one to simply do it for leisure. There is a reason doctors only refer patients for intensive monitoring when something else is wrong, and it’s not because it saves them money.

Absolutely but the person I was replying to was implying that full body MRIs are not available to the masses and that simply is dangerous misinformation.

Dent

I was thinking that. Old man gets cancer isn't national breaking news this is true. Head of State of country gets cancer however does feel like something that might warrant some coverage...
I don't think anyone said it shouldn't have been mentioned, but the endless fawning just for the sake of "coverage" is not news, so should not be taking up airtime which was scheduled for news.

stuartl

On their youtube channel last night Sky news had their helicopter showing Buckingham Palace in the dark. Why ?

Gloster

Established Member
Unless his recovery is rapid, which is unlikely, I am waiting for the papers to start filling their front pages with, ‘Won’t Kate make a lovely Queen’ articles. Being cynical, even though he holds an important position, is the possible death of one elderly man that serious as the whole system is permanently ready to handle just about any change to it? Yes, there is the touch of irony that after so many years waiting he might hardly get any time at the top, but the system will go on: it coped with the hurried and desperate abdication of Edward VIII, so it would cope this time. So would the country.

One thing that is missing this time is that the overwhelming majority of the population knew no monarch other than Queen Elizabeth and she offered a feeling of continuity, even to republicans like me. Charles is new and we haven’t made his measure yet, and many may have a sneaking feeling that he might not be up to it: he has done all right so far, but…

gswindale

Unless his recovery is rapid, which is unlikely, I am waiting for the papers to start filling their front pages with, ‘Won’t Kate make a lovely Queen’ articles.
Who has also recently undergone "routine" surgery and is now expected to be out of action for several months...