• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The rapid decline of Bournemouth’s Yellow Buses network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aliceh

When the More brand was introduced in 2004, it was confined to the high frequency m1/m2 routes which were launched at the same time. It wasn’t until 2012 when the Dorset side of Wilts & Dorset was rebranded to More to distinguish it from its Salisbury operations.
There were also originally several more 'More' routes - the m5 and m6 (now simply the 5 and 6) and an m7 to the Nuffield Industrial Estate. It's entirely possible that some routes could become m routes again to help with the duplication.

Surreyman

All of the yellow routes 13,m1,m2 u1,u2,u3,u4 and I belive some 16/17.
I think a previous poster said the new PVR on ex Yellow routes was @36? My own snap shot of "Bustimes" was maybe a couple higher, so allowing for a few engineering spares and maybe some schools + the U routes must be close to 50+? (operators licence is 65) Don't know about any coaches but assume some work must have moved to Poole?

Dorsetbus

I think a previous poster said the new PVR on ex Yellow routes was @36? My own snap shot of "Bustimes" was maybe a couple higher, so allowing for a few engineering spares and maybe some schools + the U routes must be close to 50+? (operators licence is 65) Don't know about any coaches but assume some work must have moved to Poole?
Nothing has moved to poole as of yet. But I believe Bournemouth can fit 80 vehicles.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This thread is specifically to discuss the demise of Yellow Buses; talking about which routes are to be taken over by other operators is fine, as is discussion of the fleet and where it might be headed.

Any general morebus or Go South Coast questions should be asked here:

Surreyman

Nothing has moved to poole as of yet. But I believe Bournemouth can fit 80 vehicles.
I don't know what the physical parking space is but the operators licence has 65 discs, my impression is that the allocation of buses between Poole & Bournemouth is fairly fluid but I am not a local so I don't have hard facts on this.
If more than 65 buses are parked/operate out of Bournemouth (say on Pooles discs) what is the legal position?

Titfield

Established Member
I don't know what the physical parking space is but the operators licence has 65 discs, my impression is that the allocation of buses between Poole & Bournemouth is fairly fluid but I am not a local so I don't have hard facts on this.
If more than 65 buses are parked/operate out of Bournemouth (say on Pooles discs) what is the legal position?

Theoretically it is a breach of one of the conditions of the licence but it would seem to me to be highly unlikely that the Traffic Commissioner (TC) would take any action for short term breaches whist the operator was sorting out the consequences of providing services to replace those lost caused by the ceasing to operate of Bournemouth Transport Ltd. In any case we do not know if Go South Coast have applied for a licence variation which is in the works to be considered or have alerted the TC to the issue and have been granted a period of grace whilst the issue is resolved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Western Sunset

Established Member
Online bus maps still not been tweaked; hence no buses shown on ex-Yellow 6 route, but they're on the More 6 page instead. Presumably software can't cope with duplicate route numbers.
But as others have stated above, the transition has been remarkably smooth; so very well done to More.

duncanp

Established Member
Online bus maps still not been tweaked; hence no buses shown on ex-Yellow 6 route, but they're on the More 6 page instead. Presumably software can't cope with duplicate route numbers.
But as others have stated above, the transition has been remarkably smooth; so very well done to More.

I am sure the issues with the maps will be resolved fairly shortly.

As you say, the most important thing is that replacement bus services for Yellow Buses routes are running.

It is a credit to everyone involved that they managed to get things done in such a short space of time.

markymark2000

On Moderation
I am sure the issues with the maps will be resolved fairly shortly.

As you say, the most important thing is that replacement bus services for Yellow Buses routes are running.

It is a credit to everyone involved that they managed to get things done in such a short space of time.
Well, it depends on when Morebus can be bothered to update their open data. Given the technology out there, this could have easily been sorted by now.

Surreyman

Looking at 'Bustimes.org' every day the allocations of vehicles to 'Bournemouth' seems to change both day to day and even during the day, presumably the ticket machines allocated or 'flagged' to ex Yellow Bus routes report as Bournemouth? but does this mean that if a bus switches/interworks to a 'Poole' route the ticket machine gets switched?
I realise there may be some physical swapping of vehicles between depots, does anyone have a better idea of what is going on?

Dai Corner

Established Member
Looking at 'Bustimes' every day the allocations of vehicles to 'Bournemouth' seems to change both day to day and even during the day, presumably the ticket machines allocated or 'flagged' to ex yellow bus routes report as Bournemouth? but does this mean that if a bus switches/interworks to a 'Poole' route the ticket machine gets switched?
I realise there may be some physical swopping of vehicles between depots, does anyone have a better idea of what is going on?
Isn't this data 'crowdsourced' (supplied by website users) rather than obtained from official sources? If so, it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

E-Rail

Looking at 'Bustimes' every day the allocations of vehicles to 'Bournemouth' seems to change both day to day and even during the day, presumably the ticket machines allocated or 'flagged' to ex yellow bus routes report as Bournemouth? but does this mean that if a bus switches/interworks to a 'Poole' route the ticket machine gets switched?
I realise there may be some physical swopping of vehicles between depots, does anyone have a better idea of what is going on?
Bournemouth and Poole depots both have 48 hour diagrams on m1/m2 and the 70, likewise the 3 Breezers on the 50 that originate from Bournemouth in the morning end at Swanage that night. The fleet is fairly fluid between Bournemouth, Poole and Swanage depots. For eg, Bournemouth may put a ferry capable Scania/Optare out on one of their 50s but Swanage may take it off, replace it with a spare Evoseti and then put the Scania out on a 40 to Poole. Again with the 40, the Poole diagram ends at Swanage at night.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Isn't this data 'crowdsourced' (supplied by website users) rather than obtained from official sources? If so, it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.
No, the majority of data comes from sources provided by operators and/or the Government. The only "crowdsourced" data are things like liveries, bus types, registration plates, etc.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
What about depot allocations, which is what the OP was asking about?
That comes from the timetable data provided by the operators. If a bus tracks on a service operated by "Bournemouth" depot, it'll show the vehicle as being allocated to Bournemouth, for example

Dai Corner

Established Member
That comes from the timetable data provided by the operators. If a bus tracks on a service operated by "Bournemouth" depot, it'll show the vehicle as being allocated to Bournemouth, for example
Ok. But I didn't think official data about which depots operate which routes was in the public domain?

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Ok. But I didn't think official data about which depots operate which routes was in the public domain?
The depot information is (sometimes) provided in the timetable data supplied by the operator. We are somewhat off-topic here so might be best to take this elsewhere

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The accuracy (or otherwise) of the data on business.org is not the subject of this thread, and has been discussed in numerous threads before (use "bustimes" as the keyword in the search facility).

We now have a thread to discuss a potential re-cast of morebus services:

There is a general thread for Go South Coast here:

For anyone who wishes to continue discussing the decline of Yellow Buses, please carry on. Thanks :)

E-Rail

Services 18, 33 and 36 will not be operated by Morebus after this Friday following a BCP contract award for these routes.

Source please - mod

deconte

If it is Xelabus who have gained these contracts then we shall have an ironic development : a week after the elimination of competition The Yellows return running buses on the streets of the town again !

MotCO

Established Member
If it is Xelabus who have gained these contracts then we shall have an ironic development : a week after the elimination of competition The Yellows return running buses on the streets of the town again !
Excuse my ignorance, but why would they be yellow? BCP is the Council, and unless they specify yellow buses, I assume that Xelabus would operate in their green livery.

James H

But presumably Xela would be operating the contracts through their newly acquired Yellow Coaches subsidiary

The trade press says Xelagroup have acquired the Yellow Coaches O licence which allows for 20 vehicles. (But no actual vehicles were included in the deal.)

It's unlikely the buses would be yellow (at least on day 1) but it will be interesting to see what fleetname they adopt for the BCP contracts.

Mainline421

Excuse my ignorance, but why would they be yellow? BCP is the Council, and unless they specify yellow buses, I assume that Xelabus would operate in their green livery.
They have purchased the Yellow Coaches brand so I'd be surprised if they didn't use it.

Last edited:

Wychwood93

Three somewhat niche hourly services - More will save on buses and crews. However - ticketing and how this will fit in with the More services must be a question to be answered. Not much to gain from a 'getting about' ticket - which was useful, and reasonable, when it covered More and Yellows.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Please provide sources for any information that you post here, along with a suitable quote from the source. Also, you must avoid jargon such as BCP unless you provide a definition the first time you use it in a post.

Status
Not open for further replies.