• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The rapid decline of Bournemouth’s Yellow Buses network

Status
Not open for further replies.

markymark2000

On Moderation
That's assuming that they can staff the new operation, similar thing happened in Guildford when Arriva pulled out, not many Arriva staff joined Stagecoach & they had to reduce frequencies.
I don't know what the extra PVR is but it will put pressure on parking space at Go South Coast depots.
We know that National Express have acquired Yellow Coaches & the "Engineering operation" - I am assuming that this means they are taking over the lease of Yeomans Way? - Can anyone confirm that?
The difference there was stagecoach went in at full timetables. Morebus has gone in at around 1/2 timetables to ensure they can cover the work and likely to see if they get any comeback from the CMA. don't want to commit too many resources incase they have to give it up and it ends up costing them more than they make.

A tweet this morning by Coach & Bus Week confirms Monday (8th August) as the date National Express take over Yellow Coaches, however they won’t be continuing the Golden Tours open top contract or (unsurprisingly) Megabus services, with those ceasing on Sunday.

Bit poor on NatEx part I'd say. Couldn't they at least have kept things going for a very short time to enable Megabus to source a replacement operator rather than just immediately stopping. I know it's an unusual situation and I get why NatEx want to stop but there are much more professional ways of doing things.

The open toppers kinda make sense, depends who drove them, buses drivers or coaches drivers.

Lots of towns and cities have a monopoly operator, or at least a near monopoly. Bournemouth’s situation where two operators had significant networks was relatively rare
Yes for towns and cities but this is a whole council area covered pretty much exclusively by a single operator. There is no other instances of this that I know of and there 100% isn't for a council area of this size and population.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BenS123

If we use the population of the South East Dorset Conurbation (BCP, Ferndown, Wimborne etc) then the population is over 400,000

Western Sunset

Established Member
My final Yellow Bus photo from yesterday and this vehicle was the last bus I travelled on under the Yellows regime.

Attachments

• P1350468 (2).JPG
    P1350468 (2).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 94

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Bit poor on NatEx part I'd say. Couldn't they at least have kept things going for a very short time to enable Megabus to source a replacement operator rather than just immediately stopping

NatEx is a commercial business, why would they choose to ‘keep things’ going unless someone finds them to!

markymark2000

On Moderation
NatEx is a commercial business, why would they choose to ‘keep things’ going unless someone finds them to!
Well, provide proper notice was more the point. How would they like it if Selwyn's decided, 'were stopping all NatEx tomorrow'. NatEx wouldn't be happy, it would be a break of contract and would start a huge legal battle for compensation etc

I'm not saying keep it going indefinitely but at least 3 weeks notice means Megabus can try to cover trips and things can be wound down properly and passengers found alternative services.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Well, provide proper notice was more the point. How would they like it if Selwyn's decided, 'were stopping all NatEx tomorrow'. NatEx wouldn't be happy, it would be a break of contract and would start a huge legal battle for compensation etc

I'm not saying keep it going indefinitely but at least 3 weeks notice means Megabus can try to cover trips and things can be wound down properly and passengers found alternative services.

The contract though was with a company that has gone into administration not Nat Ex. Notice periods go out the window when a company goes into administration sadly.

Nat Ex has only ‘rescued’ certain parts of the old Yellow Transport business.

820KDV

I don't understand why More are planning a route 1 from Bmth to Christchurch. Wouldn't it be more economical just to extend their existing m2? Is there some reason why their new routes have to be separate?
I expect the routes have been kept separate, for now, to simplify their rapid introduction. More could have had these plans "on the shelf" for a while now, without having to recast them if/when they altered their own, established, routes. There is also any union agreement to consider. Where I used to be Scheduler the union required 10 days notice of duty and roster changes, so keeping the existing work "as is" would have been essential in this sort of situation. Sure, the current arrangements won't be the most efficient way of working, for the long term, but as a way of providing near instant cover, and then running things for a while to establish loadings, revenues and schedule adherence it is the way to do it.

Yes, its unfortunate that there are no buses today, but as was repeated here many times earlier in the week, Friday was seen as the last day, and More have clearly worked with that. Something, we don't know what, obviously changed during the week, but for the sake of one day its probably best for More to keep to their original timescale and get things as good as they can tomorrow rather than rushing even faster to get on the road today and then offering a standard of service they come to regret.
Bit poor on NatEx part I'd say. Couldn't they at least have kept things going for a very short time to enable Megabus to source a replacement operator rather than just immediately stopping. I know it's an unusual situation and I get why NatEx want to stop but there are much more professional ways of doing things.
What we don't know is who said "no" to who. I'm sure Magabus would have had an inkling that things weren't too good for Yellow Coaches, and will have had contingency plans "on the shelf" (as they probably do for all of their contractors, even if not worked out in fine detail). And if National Express said "no" with no notice is that any different to the administrators being unable to find a buyer and saying "that's it" also with no notice?

Having seen the collapse of companies from the Local transport Authority side a couple of times, word gets out, plans can be made, even replacement operators can (or at least were, not so easy now with the driver shortage) be lined up to roll at a few hours notice. On one occasion I was among the council staff out piloting the new drivers around the routes while the previous ones were still on their way to the head office to hear the news, while on the other occasion, with a smaller operator, we got the replacement on the road in an hour, with the service running about 10 minutes late, but clawing a minute back here and there as it went.

Sad times though, not least as my sister's comment, from her pushchair, "they've got hello buses here" is part of our family history. Perhaps the real surprise is that Yellows lasted as long as they did and didn't become Barbies (could have done, perhaps, if Badger-Vectis had had their way) or beachball or teal and ivory.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
The plot thickens. The following has now appeared on the Careers page of the Yellow Coaches website:

Yellow Coaches is now part of the Xelagroup of companies and we are recruiting drivers for Yellow Coaches Ltd.

Following recent discussions, Yellow Coaches will continue to operate the Megabus M3 from Poole and Bournemouth to Heathrow and London.

Yellow Coaches has also secured the operation of a number of school contracts and tendered services from September 2022. These include to Lytchett Minster School, Parkfield School, Twynham School, Cranborne School, and Highcliffe School.

We are continuing to develop the business. We are looking to establish a new base in the vicinity of the existing site. We will be operating a mixture of coaches and buses. Both sets of vehicles will be operating school contracts and tenders and scheduled coach operations. We are now looking for staff to help us achieve this.

If you require more information about roles that we have available please email us at [email protected].

James H

Morebus have announced that three of the tendered routes will also resume from Saturday.

BenS123

I do hope that morebus increases the services on route 737 as Yellow Buses have said previously they would like to have done that if they had the money to do so, and the airport needs more transport links to the town centre.

(source https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/20279587.call-improve-bus-services-bournemouth-airport/)

Also I believe that the 727 is one of the only routes, if not the only, which morebus is not running and no easy alternative route being available

DaveHarries

Established Member
Morebus have announced that three of the tendered routes will also resume from Saturday.
Yep. Services 18, 33 & 36. The MD of Go South Coast has posted on Twitter - https://twitter.com/AndrewWickhamGo/status/1555537281397805056 - that the Morebus recruitment centre set up in the hope of taking on now redundant drivers from Yellow Bus seems to have been a success and they have enough drivers to run a full service on their routes starting tomorrow.

Good on Morebus for giving the Yellow Bus drivers some continuity and trying to make sure that they are not out of work for long.

Dave

Joe Paxton

Established Member
https://www.morebus.co.uk/we-will-be-running-extra-routes states "The section that used to operate to Highcliffe & New Milton will not run, but customers can use the existing more bus X1/X2 routes." regarding the 1a.

I see this information is now on the YB website, now a sigle page to say that YB is no longeer trading, and Morebus will be providing the following replacement services

The page that now appears at the www.yellowbuses.co.uk URL looks a bit like it might actually be the work of (and under the control of) Morebus - not least as it now shows the Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole (BCP) council tendered routes 18, 33 and 36 which Morebus have only just agreed to take over the operation of this afternoon.

If that is so, then it's an eminently sensible move on the part of the Administrators. Perhaps the YB domain could end up with Morebus permanently (e.g. purchased from the Administators by Morebus / Go South Coast).

An aside... there's a lot of affection for the idea of yellow liveried buses in Bournemouth, so might Morebus eventually run some buses in yellow... or would that be regarded as 'not on' and jumping on the grave of their erstwhile competitor?

Last edited by a moderator:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Could I remind everyone to provide definitions for any abbreviations or acronyms used, such as "BCP" and "GSC". They may be well known locally but may not make sense to anyone outwith the area who happens to be reading the thread.

Please also ensure that you provide sources to any announcements, along with a suitable quote from those sources. Thanks :)

BenS123

I just called morebus asking if bus services would leave from the same stands as normal and they said 'most likely' they would, worrying how it isn't 100% confirmed, bearing in mind the services begin tomorrow

stu

I just called morebus asking if bus services would leave from the same stands as normal and they said 'most likely' they would, worrying how it isn't 100% confirmed, bearing in mind the services begin tomorrow
Give them a chance, they are literally taking over pretty much the whole service at incredibly short notice which can be measured in hours rather than days!

cactustwirly

Established Member
Although presumably nowhere with as large a population as Bournemouth? I asked this earlier in the thread which nobody has yet answered:

Surely Reading is bigger than Bournemouth.
Plus you have Thames Valley operating across Berkshire which is also owned by Reading buses

Ken H

On Moderation
Barrow in Furness, Kendal, Whitehaven, Workington and Carlisle are nearly 100% Stagecoach
Lancaster was but Kirkby Lonsdale Coach Hire are making inroads.
In fact a big wedge of N Lancashire and Cumbria is Stagecoach

BenS123

Give them a chance, they are literally taking over pretty much the whole service at incredibly short notice which can be measured in hours rather than days!
True, I was just surprised it was not anywhere to be found on their online timetables or website

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Vide message 249 - Yellow Coaches sold twice?? Once to NatEx and once to Xelabus? I’m confused.

Ditto! However perhaps this Bournemouth Echo report offers some clarification:
Bournemouth's school bus services to be run by Xelabus

In particular see the last two paragraphs...

AN INDEPENDENT bus operator in Hampshire has secured Yellow Coaches – meaning school and college bus services in the area will be secure in September.

Eastleigh-based Xelabus secured Yellow Coaches Ltd, the subsidiary of Yellow Buses, from its directors and shareholders.
[...]

National Express confirmed on Thursday they are to buy Yellow Buses' coach and engineering side of the business. This means they have bought the coaches that go from Bournemouth to London.

Yellow Coaches is seperate to that, as it is used for school and college bus routes.

I think I've read previously that Yellow Coaches Ltd was actually a seperate company, albeit in common ownership along with Yellow Buses (aka Bournemouth Transport Limited). Therefore I don't think Yellow Coaches went into administration along with Yellow Buses - hence the reference to Xelabus securing Yellow Coaches from its directors and shareholders.

If so then I think the report is technically wrong to refer to Yellow Coaches as a subsidiary of Yellow Buses - but I don't blame the reporter for being a bit confused!

On looking into this further, companies house records suggest that Yellow Buses (Bournemouth Transport Ltd) and Yellow Coaches Ltd may both have been owned by a holding company, Yellow Buses Holdings Limited. Looks like only Yellow Buses (Bournemouth Transport Ltd) went into administration.

Also, one crucial point is that the NatEx coach contracts were seemingly held and operated by Yellow Buses (Bournemouth Transport Ltd), not Yellow Coaches Ltd - which you could otherwise have been mistaken for assuming! Given that I've read the NatEx contracts were inreasingly important earners for Yellow in recent years, perhaps it made business sense for them to sit with Yellow Buses rather than Yellow Coaches.

Anyway, looks like Yellow Buses Coaches will still feature on the streets of Bournemouth and surrounds, albeit operating as schools and college services. I'm unclear if they have any bus vehicles in their fleet, but if so they could even win some tenders for council-subsidised public bus services in the future.

Last edited:

James H

It will be interesting to see if anyone buys the rights to the Yellow Buses brand from the administrators.

miklcct

On Moderation
The page that now appears at the www.yellowbuses.co.uk URL looks a bit like it might actually be the work of (and under the control of) Morebus - not least as it now shows the Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole (BCP) council tendered routes 18, 33 and 36 which Morebus have only just agreed to take over the operation of this afternoon.

If that is so, then it's an eminently sensible move on the part of the Administrators. Perhaps the YB domain could end up with Morebus permanently (e.g. purchased from the Administators by Morebus / Go South Coast).
Yellow Buses and morebus use the same provider for their website and apps, so I presume that those working on the website can update it and copy over the Yellow Buses data to morebus website with a short notice.

AB93

The Yellow Buses website was Passenger-based, which I believe is also the case with the morebus (and most/all? of the Go-Ahead companies' websites too), so it's presumably been relatively easy for someone to go in and sort it.

https://twitter.com/passengerteam/status/1555588444973416449
It’s the end of an era. This data visualisation shows the movement of @YellowBuses around the BCP area on their last day in service, yesterday. Captured from Passenger Cloud data.
https://twitter.com/tomquay/status/1555233013583282176 (Tom Quay - CEO of Passenger) It isn’t easy to imagine my home town of Bournemouth without its yellow buses. For all these years, they have been the unmistakable backdrop to so many lives, enabling access to education, work, healthcare and the independence of young and old alike. I’ve worked with Yellow Buses for the last fourteen of its 120-year history and it’s from the early digital work we collaborated on, that I learnt about an industry.

Snow1964

Established Member
Vide message 249 - Yellow Coaches sold twice?? Once to NatEx and once to Xelabus? I’m confused.

I think yellow coaches has been sold to National Express, but they didn’t want the schools contracts, so arranged to on-sell these to Xelabus of Eastleigh

Xela Group is now the owner of the Yellow Coaches brand, but will not be taking on the operation’s actual coaches. It was announced yesterday that National Express has bought the coach and engineering operations of Yellow Buses

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Although presumably nowhere with as large a population as Bournemouth? I asked this earlier in the thread which nobody has yet answered:
Brighton must be very close. The only other major route to the city is one from Southdown (Metrobus routes are managed by Brighton) and there's only a few other local services.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
The Yellow Buses website was Passenger-based, which I believe is also the case with the morebus (and most/all? of the Go-Ahead companies' websites too), so it's presumably been relatively easy for someone to go in and sort it.

Indeed - further down that Twitter thread (of which you quoted the first Tweet), Tom Quay said this:

twitter.com/tomquay/status/1555233023133712390

.@passengerteam is supporting behind the scenes to make up-to-date travel information available and hopefully, this will reduce the uncertainty for anyone relying on the services. More info www.morebus.co.uk/we-will-be-running-extra-routes

AB93

One thing I don't really get is why morebus just kept the route numbers exactly the same as the yellows instead of maybe adding a prefix, meaning they now have 2 route 4s, 2 route 5s, 2 route 6s etc.
I know there always were 2 of each of these routes but having them under the same company just makes it a bit confusing.
As others have said, expect that a full rationalisation of the network will take place once things have settled down.

I'm sure they'd agree that having services with the same number is not ideal, but it's the lesser of two evils - the alternative of changing the numbers is that affected Yellow Buses passengers have even more to cope with in what's already a fast-paced situation. I expect there will be plenty of passengers out there who've still no idea that the yellow buses are gone!

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I think yellow coaches has been sold to National Express, but they didn’t want the schools contracts, so arranged to on-sell these to Xelabus of Eastleigh

That is not the case - if you have a look at my admittedly rather verbose post upthread, #260, you'll see that actually Yellow Coaches Ltd never went into administration as it is a seperate company to Yellow Buses (Bournemouth Transport Ltd).

Xelabus / Xela Group have bought Yellow Coaches Ltd "from its former Directors and shareholders", i.e. not from the Administrator of Yellow Buses.

Meanwhile National Express have bought the coach and engineering side of Yellow Buses (Bournemouth Transport Ltd) from the Administrator.

Rather confusingly, the NatEx coach contracts actually sat within Yellow Buses (Bournemouth Transport Ltd), not Yellow Coaches Ltd!

A careful reading of both the Bournemouth Echo and Bus and Coach Buyer articles confirms this.

Status
Not open for further replies.