• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The clock on next stop display is one of them things that makes you wonder why something so simple hadn't been done before. It's the little things!
The iBus next stop displays on TfL buses have had the time on then for a few years, now, though intermittently.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SCH117X

Established Member
Interesting admission by Transdev in an online press article concerning rural services arising from Grant Shapps praise of Harrogates buses
"Our obvious rural route is the 24 between Harrogate and Pateley Bridge: we operate it without subsidy and at a loss, but we persevere, not least because we know its importance to the people of Nidderdale."

philthetube

Established Member
I wonder how many phones are left behind on these chargers?

I think the difficulty with clocks is/was accuracy, without internet time it was always open to dispute.

RustySpoons

I think the difficulty with clocks is/was accuracy, without internet time it was always open to dispute.

A few years ago there was a short time (only a few days) where the clocks in Burnley Bus Station were about five minutes slow. It did show just how many people relied on them considering how much chaos was caused by buses leaving 'early'.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Oh dear! - https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/19173163.hole-blackburn-bus-floor-spotted-passengers/

Hole in Blackburn bus floor spotted by passengers​

Below is a photo showing the hole in the floor:
12427535.jpg

PASSENGERS on a bus spotted a hole in a bus while travelling to work.

This morning at 7:00am the number 7 service from Blackburn to Accrington started off as usual, but a passenger had noticed there was a gaping hole just below a seat.

The driver was informed and the passengers were swapped onto a different bus after stopping at Intack.
Anthony Hacking was on his way to work in Accrington.
He said: "Before the bus set off from Blackburn Bus Station a passenger who was sat behind me got up and walked to the front, informed the driver there was a 'hole' in the bus.
"I was sat adjacent to it and there was a passenger sat oblivious to it at their feet.
"The driver came and had a look at it and got on his phone to inform someone at the depot.
"A women who also worked for the company had a look and questioned why 'the night staff had not picked this up."
This was its first run of the day and the bus had just arrived from the depot.
Mr Hacking said: "I hate to think what could of happened if no one had no one spotted it but as you can see it's not like you can miss it. You do wonder how long it had been like that for."

RustySpoons

You'd hope something like that would have been spotted on the drivers first walk around check, so hopefully it happened in service and wasn't overlooked before it left the depot.

Pretty poor build quality though! With various mechanical issues with the Mainline batch, along with bodywork issues on the 464s the Versa's really don't seem suited for the East Lancs roads they ply their trade on!

Ashly_Jethro

You'd hope something like that would have been spotted on the drivers first walk around check, so hopefully it happened in service and wasn't overlooked before it left the depot.

Pretty poor build quality though! With various mechanical issues with the Mainline batch, along with bodywork issues on the 464s the Versa's really don't seem suited for the East Lancs roads they ply their trade on!
That’s Optare for ya. I can’t imagine the mainlines of 464s being purchased after release. Not sure how long is left on these and flyers

RustySpoons

That’s Optare for ya. I can’t imagine the mainlines of 464s being purchased after release. Not sure how long is left on these and flyers
7 years seems to be the standard lease, then they either return them to the lessors or keep them on for use elsewhere.

Ashly_Jethro

7 years seems to be the standard lease, then they either return them to the lessors or keep them on for use elsewhere.
Yeah, I think they may end up keeping the flyers because they’ve only been on for a short while. But I doubt the 464 and mainline versas will stay after all the issues they’ve had. I’m on the fence with Blackburn’s...

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
If you are referring to an external source we require:
a) A link to your source
b) A an appropriate text quotation (not a screenshot) from that source, enclosed within quote tags

Thank you

Last edited:

SCH117X

Established Member
Unnecessary cost cutting looking at it; would not be the first time a product has been trimmed in its construction to save money with consequences for its it long term suitability. Would be interesting to know if the 2012 Versas now at York are more substantial.

RustySpoons

Unnecessary cost cutting looking at it; would not be the first time a product has been trimmed in its construction to save money with consequences for its it long term suitability. Would be interesting to know if the 2012 Versas now at York are more substantial.

It does appear to be an Optare issue with their latest deliveries. Even when they were brand new, despite the additional Transdev toys they still feel like they've been built to a price, it doesn't feel like a quality product. The first batch of Versas they took delivery of back in 2007 for the Starship network felt a lot more solid than the newer stuff.

It's been suggested that a stray temporary road sign in the road caused the damage on the Blackburn bus, and it's hard to say whether it'd have had a similar effect on any other bus. But as neither a PDI inspection nor a drivers first walk around check involve stomping or hammering on the sills it's just a very unfortunate incident.

Ashly_Jethro

It does appear to be an Optare issue with their latest deliveries. Even when they were brand new, despite the additional Transdev toys they still feel like they've been built to a price, it doesn't feel like a quality product. The first batch of Versas they took delivery of back in 2007 for the Starship network felt a lot more solid than the newer stuff.

It's been suggested that a stray temporary road sign in the road caused the damage on the Blackburn bus, and it's hard to say whether it'd have had a similar effect on any other bus. But as neither a PDI inspection nor a drivers first walk around check involve stomping or hammering on the sills it's just a very unfortunate incident.
I think they continued on this cost cutting on the mainlines with their chassis. Think the 464s were Optare’s last chance to redeem themselves and they failed miserably

peterblue

1f195.svg

Huge news for #Coastliner in 2021.

1f3d6.svg

This summer, we’ll bring you our biggest timetable ever, doubling the amount of buses to Scarborough and run every 30 mins from Leeds & York.

ℹ️

All details to follow soon!

▶️

#BACKtoBUS

Transdev are also announcing changes for the Summer season on Coastliner similar to how First have done so in Devon/Cornwall. I highly suspect coastal staycation holidays will be popular in the peak season.

The curious detail, however, is how AH described there being "double the buses to Scarborough" but maintaining the 30 min frequency between Leeds and York. This may mean that customers heading to Thornton / Whitby may have to change in Malton as it currently stands with the Covid timetables.

RustySpoons

Transdev are also announcing changes for the Summer season on Coastliner similar to how First have done so in Devon/Cornwall. I highly suspect coastal staycation holidays will be popular in the peak season.

The curious detail, however, is how AH described there being "double the buses to Scarborough" but maintaining the 30 min frequency between Leeds and York. This may mean that customers heading to Thornton / Whitby may have to change in Malton as it currently stands with the Covid timetables.

It does seem from what I've been picking up on they're quite rightly going to be pushing the staycation/UK tourism side of things pretty hard this year. Considering not many people will be able to get abroad for their holidays it could be very lucrative for them.

Over the hills in Burnley they've also released their back to bus plans as lockdown is easing.

Full details on the Transdev Burnley site

Few details with my thoughts...

As of 11th April most local services will be going back to the 'pre lockdown timetable'. I'm guessing this will be the full pre-covid timetable. This isn't before time, I noticed quite a few buses looking pretty full this morning and I can only imagine it to be putting drivers in a tricky spot. People needing to get to work, but also maintain the limited social capacity availble.

The mostly forgotten 9 is continuing on its current time table, which is only two journeys a day in each direction. It was inevitable this would happen though unfortunately, especially after it was disrupted for around 12 months when Accrington Road was closed. It's essentially just a works service now serving Network 65.

Pendle Wizz is also returning to it's pre lockdown timetable. Not sure what that actually is considering it was launched during the first lockdown. I do wonder if it'll go half hourly, as the previous X43 towards Skipton was. Using quick sums, if the journey is 60 minutes each way a 30 minute frequency will require 4 buses, so that'd be the three Wizz branded B7s and the recently repainted into Burnley orange and orange 2750. There's also strong rumours floating around that B9 2779 is now going to be rebuilt and stay at Burnley, so that could also act as a spare!

Mainline is going back to pre lockdown timetables west of Burnley towards Padiham and beyond, east of Burnley the M3 and M4 will increase frequency to 30 mins to give a 10 minute frequency between Burnley and Colne.

Witch Way will also be increasing to every 20 minutes on Saturdays.

The new Mellor Dishwashers are still entering service on the 2nd May for the new tendered work around Lancashire, although someone told me they had issues with one (I'm assuming a Keighley Jet) at Nelson bus station as they can't open the door due to the design of the stands. Odd.

16th of May everything goes back to normal except for the late X43s back from Manchester, but as of the 25th of June these will return not only on a Saturday night but Friday nights too!

All in all, very positive!

Oh, and if you want a free Day Tripper download the Transdev Go app and on the 17th of May you'll be gifted one!

I do like this Tweet. I don't think the way Transdev have kept the wheels turning this past 12 months can be faulted at all. Especially as they were taking into account individual passengers travelling times and adjusting the limited covid timetables to suit.

Twitter Link

Alex Hornby said:
One year on. We kept going. Thank you everyone.

Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 22.14.48.png

Established Member

Very positive news. Someone has questioned the 840 and X45? in a reply to the tweet and Alex Hornby says they haven't forgotten about them.

Question:
Not to forget Whitby 840 service/Filey summer express

These've undergone drastic curtailments recently. Coastliner - once a thriving business connecting WYorks & several Coastal communities - is now only keen on expanding profitable Scarborough route to the detriment of others.
Reply:
We haven’t forgot about other sections of route, this is simply an announcement on the Scarborough section and not to the detriment of others. As I’ve said, more details will follow.

1616695338597.png

RustySpoons

2750 has entered service in Burnley, adorned with pictures of company staff, drivers, cleaners, mechanics, etc.

Picture courtesy of Gobbiner on Flickr...

Not sure if it's intentional or not, but 'The Burnley Bus Company' logo looks like it's just a little bit too high up compared to the 'we are'.
I get they're obviously proud of their staff, but I wonder how many passengers actually pay attention to it?

There's a massive recruitment promo on the back featuring a driver who used to own a pub, as seen here in this Lancashire Telegraph article.

According to Alex Horner (Alex Hornby, obviously. The Lancashire Telegraph has extremely poor standards of reporting, getting the basics wrong is standard for them)...

“As our new recruitment campaign shows, our drivers come from a wide variety of backgrounds, but have one thing in common, they all care passionately about giving amazing customer service..."

Aaron Ashton

Lancashire Telegraph recently reported on an incident what happened at another company with a driver stealing and they reported the owner of the company as Adam Pilkington!....

RustySpoons

Lancashire Telegraph recently reported on an incident what happened at another company with a driver stealing and they reported the owner of the company as Adam Pilkington!....

It's a shockingly bad paper for getting the basic details right. A few years ago they reported along the lines of 'Witch Way, the sister company to Lancashire Transdev, were launching a new company in Burnley called Mainline.'

philthetube

Established Member
I do find it fascinating the way people criticize local press, I feel sure that there are not as many posts on here from people who never pay for trains, Staff excepted, and if there were people making said comments would be slated for it.

Most of these people are a couple of people in an office cobbling together what they are fed, people are getting what they pay for, which is better than the nothing which is the future.

When they are gone that will be it for local news, everything not reported by the Beeb will just not be known about.

Rant over.

Dusty_Bin

2750 has entered service in Burnley, adorned with pictures of company staff, drivers, cleaners, mechanics, etc.

Picture courtesy of Gobbiner on Flickr.

Not sure if it's intentional or not, but 'The Burnley Bus Company' logo looks like it's just a little bit too high up compared to the 'we are'.
I get they're obviously proud of their staff, but I wonder how many passengers actually pay attention to it?

There's a massive recruitment promo on the back featuring a driver who used to own a pub, as seen here in this Lancashire Telegraph article.
I quite like this one, it’s a great way of celebrating the diversity of staff whilst trying to attract new people to get into the industry.
I agree with the logo, somebody hasn’t got an eye for detail!

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Picture courtesy of Gobbiner on Flickr...

Looks smart. I saw that photo while browsing through Flickr yesterday and couldn't help but also notice how squint the logo is! It's as if it was randomly slapped on.

Ashly_Jethro

Looks smart. I saw that photo while browsing through Flickr yesterday and couldn't help but also notice how squint the logo is! It's as if it was randomly slapped on.
It looks like they have lined up the bottom of the word Burnley with the bottom of “we are”. I agree or does look odd.
I seem to recall the GM Heros bus having the top lettering ligned with the crease in the bodywork and that looked odd too...

RustySpoons

The 153, the new 'Rosso' service, I think it'll be safe to assume that will more than likely be running with a standard fleet liveried bus.

I assumed wrong.

@AlexTransdev Twitter Link

We’re on our way to Leyland, Bamber Bridge & Preston - and it’s no small thing, it’s #LittleHotline! There’s more new buses, a bigger combined frequency between Preston, Higher Walton & Gregson Lane with big brother #Hotline and better value tickets for Preston. Starts 2 May.

Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 10.57.20.png

The 153 is getting its own purple dishwasher, with a slightly unimaginative name. Unusual that there isn't any route branding on the render, it'll make little sense to anyone as it is!

Meanwhile, over on the East Coast...

@YorkBus Twitter Link

Ship Ahoy! Coastliner Clipper to make waves on Yorkshire's Coast. It's a double boost of boats & more buses for Scarborough, with buses every 30 minutes from 16 May on Coastliner's biggest ever timetable All aboard! More on Coastliner Clipper here - https://*******.com/cn8sms5r

Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 11.01.00.png

I do get the feeling this particular 'service' won't see the day through........ ;)

F262YTJ