• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

Stan Drews

Established Member
I assumed wrong.

@AlexTransdev Twitter Link

View attachment 93515

The 153 is getting its own purple dishwasher, with a slightly unimaginative name. Unusual that there isn't any route branding on the render, it'll make little sense to anyone as it is!

Your comment certainly doesn’t make much sense to me, but I realise I might be missing an in joke?

“purple dishwasher” ??? Sorry, you’ve lost me!

For a new service, using little buses and forming a common corridor with the existing hotline service 152 in/out of Preston, the choice of name seems very sensible.

Little buses don’t offer too much space for route branding, and whilst I’m not sure what you mean by “the render”, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some additional branding on the rear.

So, it all seems eminently sensible to me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RustySpoons

Your comment certainly doesn’t make much sense to me, but I realise I might be missing an in joke?

“purple dishwasher” ??? Sorry, you’ve lost me!

For a new service, using little buses and forming a common corridor with the existing hotline service 152 in/out of Preston, the choice of name seems very sensible.

Little buses don’t offer too much space for route branding, and whilst I’m not sure what you mean by “the render”, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some additional branding on the rear.

So, it all seems eminently sensible to me.

I've always called these Mellor Strata Ultra things dishwashers because of their resemblance to the white goods. Like a modern day breadvan. I do it without really thinking now, sorry if it caused any confusion!

The render I was referring to was the livery mock up. Whilst I agree the little bus is probably well suited to the service the branding (that we can see so far) gives nothing away as to where it runs. As Hotline is already well established as running between Preston, Blackburn and Burnley it won't be immediately obvious to someone not in the know that this in fact runs to Leyland without suitable route branding. There isn't much space on the bodywork as you say, but I'm sure some route branding could fit above the windows. Or even onto the tops of the windows themselves without affecting the views out, although even this may send Ray Stenning and his 'save our windows' brigade into an apoplectic rage...

Ashly_Jethro

I've always called these Mellor Strata Ultra things dishwashers because of their resemblance to the white goods. Like a modern day breadvan. I do it without really thinking now, sorry if it caused any confusion!

The render I was referring to was the livery mock up. Whilst I agree the little bus is probably well suited to the service the branding (that we can see so far) gives nothing away as to where it runs. As Hotline is already well established as running between Preston, Blackburn and Burnley it won't be immediately obvious to someone not in the know that this in fact runs to Leyland without suitable route branding. There isn't much space on the bodywork as you say, but I'm sure some route branding could fit above the windows. Or even onto the tops of the windows themselves without affecting the views out, although even this may send Ray Stenning and his 'save our windows' brigade into an apoplectic rage...
I completely agree with you. Even the “Ribble Country” mellors have wording over the windows so I see this a no exception. Deffinatley more detail needed for the service like you say. They could’ve been a bit more imaginative with the name but I do understand the ties to the current Hotline/152

RustySpoons

Coastliner are pushing their summer timetable this year. With a bus every 30 minutes to Scarborough they're promoting the Whitby route too.

We’ve got designs for a busy summer on Britain’s Most Scenic Bus Route - over the moors to Whitby on #Coastliner. Our biggest timetable ever on Coastliner starts this May.

Screenshot 2021-04-06 at 09.46.36.png

It is believed that the ex Witch Way B9s that are heading to Coastliner will be liveried up this way. At a guess I'd say the B5s will be used on the increased Scarborough service, and the suitably branded B9s will replace them on the Whitby route. There's differing reports that they're getting either two or three B9s, although either way I'm not sure if that'll leave any room for an increase in frequency. I can see things getting very busy if not...

Andyh82

Established Member
If they are running every half hour from Leeds to Scarborough, plus hourly from at least Malton to Thornton le Dale and every 2-3 hours to Whitby, plus an appropriate number of spares, they are going to be looking at approaching 20 buses required

Ashly_Jethro

If they are running every half hour from Leeds to Scarborough, plus hourly from at least Malton to Thornton le Dale and every 2-3 hours to Whitby, plus an appropriate number of spares, they are going to be looking at approaching 20 buses required
So including the 2 B9s they have had painted, that brings them to 15. Plus 2019 and 2421 they’ve used before. I’d guess they’ll either use a couple of Pride of the North B7s, or regain some of their old B9s currently at Rosso.

Last edited by a moderator:

RustySpoons

So including the 2 B9s they have had painted, that brings them to 15. Plus 2019 and 2421 they’ve used before. I’d guess they’ll either use a couple POTN B7s or regain some of their old B9s currently at Rosso

Are the Rosso B9s not required for the school work around Greater Manchester?

Dusty_Bin

I completely agree with you. Even the “Ribble Country” mellors have wording over the windows so I see this a no exception. Deffinatley more detail needed for the service like you say. They could’ve been a bit more imaginative with the name but I do understand the ties to the current Hotline/152
Place names or some other slogan will definitely be making an appearance across the top of the windows

Ashly_Jethro

Attachments

• AC13BB58-F5D0-4850-8230-AEEF889ED6BC.png
    AC13BB58-F5D0-4850-8230-AEEF889ED6BC.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 80

RustySpoons

Looks like we all got our wish:D

Even though it's a small addition it really does make a big difference.

As much as I dislike the style of the Mellors I think they'll look better in Hotline colours than the almost garish orange and yellow Ribble Country ones, although as with all cases I'll save final judgement until I see them in the metal!

Dusty_Bin

Even though it's a small addition it really does make a big difference.

As much as I dislike the style of the Mellors I think they'll look better in Hotline colours than the almost garish orange and yellow Ribble Country ones, although as with all cases I'll save final judgement until I see them in the metal!
The orange Mellors look rather nice. We saw one in Nelson on route testing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Alex Hornby has announced that Transdev are taking over Yorkshire Tiger.

Exciting news at Transdev today: we’ve reached agreement with Arriva to acquire Yorkshire Tiger and its operations in Halifax & Huddersfield. It’ll be business as usual for now - completion due this summer. Looking forward to meeting our new colleagues & customers in due course!

Ashly_Jethro

The orange mellors look rather nice, we saw one in Nelson route testing.
I have to admit they look better with the 3rd gen. front end. Kinda reminds me of the old merc bussed before the likes of the Solo and Dart came along

Alex Hornby has announced that Transdev are taking over Yorkshire Tiger.

Exciting times ahead!! No doubt it’ll take a lot of hard work, blood, sweat, and tears to get Tiger upto Transdev standards. But as we’ve seen not to long ago with Rosso, it’ll be worth it

Dusty_Bin

That’s makes me wonder what actually are Transdevs standards. I’ve used them in Europe and they were pretty poor. Our version of Transdev is good but is that Hornby standards, Blazefield standards or some other dark art?

cnjb8

Established Member
That’s makes me wonder what actually are Transdevs standards. I’ve used them in Europe and they were pretty poor. Our version of Transdev is good but is that Hornby standards, Blazefield standards or some other dark art?
Pre-Hornby Transdev had brands, but I think Hornby has taken Blazefield and made it 'amazing'. You can say he did the same with TrentBarton, certainly has declined since he left IMO

Dusty_Bin

Pre-Hornby Transdev had brands, but I think Hornby has taken Blazefield and made it 'amazing'. You can say he did the same with TrentBarton, certainly has declined since he left IMO
Interesting, I’m not too familiar with Trentbarton so hard to comment but it’s a surprise that can happen. Surely it’s a team effort, do people move with him?

RustySpoons

Without wanting to throw a grenade into the mix here, IN MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION pre-Transdev I think Blazefield was well ahead of the game and genuinely moved the industry forward. Post Transdev, aside from giving pretty much every service a new brand name and colour scheme in my opinion they've not actually been 'amazing'. Hornby is brilliant at marketing, showing off amazing buses and amazing services and amazing staff. In reality the bus is nothing special, it's a Versa or a refurbed B7 with some fancy paintwork. Most of the hype I hear about the various brands and the fleet comes from enthusiasts. Hearing from drivers it seems lot of passengers couldn't care less what colour their bus is and find the different brands confusing, especially if one turns up off route.

I do believe that the 'Sky Class' Witch Way and CityZap are game changers though, and have pushed the boundaries on what bus services can offer.

As for the Tiger acquisition I didn't see that coming at all, but I do believe if any company can turn a loss making operation around it'll be Transdev. Interesting times ahead!

Andyh82

Established Member
Blazefield were at the top of their game with many of the similar innovations as we see now (it was them who introduced the original 36, Witch Way, The Shuttle etc) this all happened before Transdev

After the Transdev take over things started going off the boil, with less investment and stuff started to stagnate. Publicity was downgraded and there was the push to the corporate fleetname style rather than individual fleetname styles.

After Hornby joined the company though he managed to drag the company back to the ways of the old Blazefield. So it’s just a return to the glory days really although obviously the buses are a generation further along as is the technology available to put in them

cnjb8

Established Member
Interesting, I’m not too familiar with Trentbarton so hard to comment but it’s a surprise that can happen. Surely it’s a team effort, do people move with him?
Transdev do seem to poach managers from TB.
Without wanting to throw a grenade into the mix here, IN MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION pre-Transdev I think Blazefield was well ahead of the game and genuinely moved the industry forward. Post Transdev, aside from giving pretty much every service a new brand name and colour scheme in my opinion they've not actually been 'amazing'. Hornby is brilliant at marketing, showing off amazing buses and amazing services and amazing staff. In reality the bus is nothing special, it's a Versa or a refurbed B7 with some fancy paintwork. Most of the hype I hear about the various brands and the fleet comes from enthusiasts. Hearing from drivers it seems lot of passengers couldn't care less what colour their bus is and find the different brands confusing, especially if one turns up off route.

I do believe that the 'Sky Class' Witch Way and CityZap are game changers though, and have pushed the boundaries on what bus services can offer.

As for the Tiger acquisition I didn't see that coming at all, but I do believe if any company can turn a loss making operation around it'll be Transdev. Interesting times ahead!
I do agree, I just think that Transdev seem to be a bit ahead of the curve in passenger innovations, albeit some seem a bit pointless. Hornby is good it marketing which seems to annoy people, but I don't think the average passenger notices this
Blazefield were at the top of their game with many of the similar innovations as we see now (it was them who introduced the original 36, Witch Way, The Shuttle etc) this all happened before Transdev

After the Transdev take over things started going off the boil, with less investment and stuff started to stagnate. Publicity was downgraded and there was the push to the corporate fleetname style rather than individual fleetname styles.

After Hornby joined the company though he managed to drag the company back to the ways of the old Blazefield. So it’s just a return to the glory days really although obviously the buses are a generation further along as is the technology available to put in them
Thank you for this, my knowledge on pre Transdev Blazefield is a bit hit and miss

SCH117X

Established Member
One Blazefield feature that they could do with today was the provision of buses over capacity for the service on the basis passengers did not like sitting next to some one they did not know. My local service of five B10BLEs a hour was quickly trimmed by Transdev to four B6BLEs a hour.

IIRC when Transdev bought Blazefield it was said Transdev had no experience of running commercial services and Blazefield would be unaffected; the post Giles Fearnley pre Alex Hornby stagnation was probably due to the then management whose only unique development was the less than successful in hindsight rebuilding of the original 36 Geminis on the basis that they could make a better bus than what they could buy

Last edited:

RustySpoons

Alex Hornby has announced that there'll be three additional DalesBus services this year, including the 59 Harrogate - Skipton service that never happened last year for obvious reasons.

@AlexTransev Twitter Link
All this can be yours by bus, with us, thanks to 3 more @DalesBus routes this summer starting 15/16 May.

59 Harrogate-Bolton Abbey-Skipton

821 Keighley-Otley-Scar House

825 York-Brimham Rocks-Richmond

Times online soon Plus our current 873 & 884 already running!
Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 10.52.54.png

Using the helpful emoji blobs next to the routes, I think it's safe to assume Harrogate are running the 59, Keighley the 821 and York the 825.

The two ex Witch Way B9s have made their way over to Coastliner to assist with the new summer timetable. 2773 (BF63HCO) and 2780 (BF63HCZ). Both have been retrimmed so the seats match those of the B5s. 2780 has been seen out in service, but 2773 is requiring some mechanical TLC apparently so hasn't been out.

@YorkBus Twitter Link
Good news ahead for Britain's Most Scenic Bus Route, up over the moors to #Whitby.

From 16 May we'll be running twice as many #Coastliner buses to Whitby as we do now Mon-Sat, including buses direct from York & easy links from Leeds. We'll have a timetable online very soon!
Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 10.56.56.png

Things are apparently hotting up over in Lancashire as the last of the Mellors are due for delivery for the Little Hotline.

Things are hotting up #LittleHotline
Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 11.04.36.png

There's also been one of the Burnley based Mellors out and about this last week route learning. I'm not able to share a picture (it isn't in the public domain) but it appeared to be more salmon coloured than orange... Although to be fair that could just be the way the picture was taken. Doesn't look pretty either way!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
A reminder about citing external sources:

If referring to an external source you should put the text in QUOTE tags, provide details of the source and make a relevant comment to promote discussion

JRT

From Lancashire Telegraph. Admin won't let me post link and I can't copy whole article.

Mellor’s Strata Ultra bus design will be reminiscent of the old Ribble Motor Services company, whose red buses used to serve the North West, from Liverpool to Carlisle

Ribble Country: Transdev CEO Alex Horby (left) with operations director Vitto Pizzuti and a new Mellor Strata Ultra bus

Attachments

• 289483773.gallery.jpg
    289483773.gallery.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 20
Mellor receives £2.4m order for fleet of Transdev buses
20 April 2021

Rochdale-based bus manufacturer Mellor has received a £2.4 million order from Transdev for an all-new fleet of 23 Strata Ultra buses.

Local bus operator Transdev has chosen Mellor’s Strata Ultra bus for its new East Lancashire routes, as it offers a fully accessible vehicle which can comfortably carry 30 customers in levels of comfort which match a full-size bus – yet can also navigate rural routes and busy town streets with ease.

Wonder What's Routes they will be on?

Aaron Ashton

With regards to the 'Sky Class'....there isn't much difference to when they introduced the 53 plate '36' Geminis... and I personally think the introduction of them was much more of a big step from a Volvo Olympian to them rather than from the 63 plate B9TLs to Sky Class