• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales 769's

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Not ideal during a pandemic.

During the pandemic TFW guards are staying in the rear cabs and not carrying out ticket checks.

Rumour mill locally is that 1or maybe 2 class 769s will be entering public service next week. Chsnges been made to the timetable with some of the Rhymney to Bridgend services split at Cardiff central.

The other 2 769s will continue to be used for testing and staff training

These are potential 769 services from next week:-

0714 Rhymney to Cardiff Central
ECS to Canton

ECS ex Canton
0936 Cardiff Central to Rhymney
1114 Rhymney to Cardiff Central
1236 Cardiff Central to Rhymney and ECS Sidings.

The Bridgend portions start/terminate Cardiff Central and will be on/off Canton.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NoMorePacers

Established Member
TfW seem to have emulated Northern's modifications to their 319s from the looks of things then (removing the cab door controls).

AdamWW

Established Member
I know. I just don't see how door panels in the saloon are compatible.

They are presumably about as compatible as the ones on TFW Pacers and 153s in the passenger saloons.

The difference presumably is that as the passengers doors aren't at the ends of the carriages on a 769 they'll have to cordon off part of the seating area as well as just taking a set of doors out of passenger use and cordoning off the door area.

As for not needing 4 coaches...maybe not but they certainly have been running 4 coach trains on the Rhymney line rather than just 2 coach 150s.

Bikeman78

Established Member
They are presumably about as compatible as the ones on TFW Pacers and 153s in the passenger saloons.

The difference presumably is that as the passengers doors aren't at the ends of the carriages on a 769 they'll have to cordon off part of the seating area as well as just taking a set of doors out of passenger use and cordoning off the door area.

As for not needing 4 coaches...maybe not but they certainly have been running 4 coach trains on the Rhymney line rather than just 2 coach 150s.
Aside from Radyr to Coryton, almost every train on the valleys is booked four cars, i.e. Pacer+150 or Pacer+153+153.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Aside from Radyr to Coryton, almost every train on the valleys is booked four cars, i.e. Pacer+150 or Pacer+153+153.

I've noticed a reduction to 3 Cars on most of the Rhymney Valley lately, the Caerphilly Bay shuttle and some Rhymney Bridgends running as Pacer + 1 x 153 and one circuit as 3 x 153s

konstant

On Moderation
Tomorrow:

0714 769002 Rhymney to Central.

0936 769002 Central to Rhymney.

Bit confused about discussion above but all saloon doors on a 769 have a guards panel, the cab panel is defunct, and a 319/769 can only function as a 4/8/12 car set. No coach is expendable due to equipment layout. A section of the saloon at both ends has been reserved for guards when in operation.

07+14 delayed due to signal failure on the valleys route. Will still run.

Last edited:

6Gtraincrew

002's workload for today. First run leaving late though, no idea why.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201116-070833.jpg
    Screenshot_20201116-070833.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 132
I caught the service to Rhymney. Compared to the Pacers it felt luxurious. The rattling and vibration leaving stations wasn't the best.

AdamWW

Established Member
I caught the service to Rhymney. Compared to the Pacers it felt luxurious. The rattling and vibration leaving stations wasn't the best.

I would imagine that the internal environment depends quite a bit on which coach you're in.

anthony263

Established Member
Personally we should be impressed a 769 has actually carried passengers in service.

Shame it was let down by signal problems

Jamesrob637

Established Member
26 late off Rhymney, 22 late into Cardiff Central and was closer to 30 late at some intermediate stations. Would a bona fide diesel have managed to make up anything given the frequent stops? I don't know the line at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.