Transport for Wales 769's

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Which begs another question. Why would a new fleet addition, as a unit marked as a new concept, not be fit for service and require several months of work by the TOC to make it fit for service? Whoever agreed to take on these and not ensure that Porterbrook had them fit for service should have some serious questions to answer.

I can't explain all the details but can only go on what has been posted in this and other threads and Forums and Groups. Certain mods have to be carried out to make TFW friendly, a continuous round of investigations and problem serving as faults showed themselves along the way during testing. . Having to put the later batch which came by road together and all this would increase Depot workload. I can only assume that some were put to one side while work continued on others to try and get some into a fully working condition. On the point of Porterbrook having them fit for service, how many classes create problems after leaving the manufacturer

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cardiff123

Which begs another question. Why would a new fleet addition, as a unit marked as a new concept, not be fit for service and require several months of work by the TOC to make it fit for service? Whoever agreed to take on these and not ensure that Porterbrook had them fit for service should have some serious questions to answer.
TfW Rail (Keolis Amey) inherited the 769 order at the W&B franchise award in June 2018. A deal was done between Welsh Govt and Arriva TW to order the 769s in July 2017, with the 769s expected to enter service with ATW before they left the franchise :lol:

Caaardiff

It doesn't matter who ordered them. What matters is Porterbrook have sold ATW/WG/TfW a bunch of old age dogs with their own issues before they even started making the diesel engine mods. Surely it should be a leasing companies responsibility to complete full and heavy checks to know the exact quality of the unit and what, if anything needs doing.
The units should have been brought up to standard fit for service before going to the TOC, but there's been several issues with some of the units which had nothing to do with the diesel engine mods. You would never take on a new/second hand car without knowing it's faults and if you did you would be fully liable for dealing with those faults with full transparency as to what you are buying, something it seems TfW didn't have.

So either TfW have had the wool pulled over their eyes, or they have (stupidly) agreed to take them on without knowing the exact issues they come with.

TfW Rail (Keolis Amey) inherited the 769 order at the W&B franchise award in June 2018. A deal was done between Welsh Govt and Arriva TW to order the 769s in July 2017, with the 769s expected to enter service with ATW before they left the franchise :lol:
Exactly, so why would ATW take them on with the intention of getting them into service prior to the Franchise ending knowing there would be issues with them or not even checking the condition of them and adding a quality/reliability clause during the procurement process?

Bob Price

ATW ordered them because it was either these or order some 230's. Either way they needed some extra DMUs in a short space of time and this was all that was available. The problem was this was a project that looked great on paper but it just didn't work out.

Cardiff123

Nobody has mentioned the DFT's part in this yet.
Well Chris Grayling was UK Govt Transport Secretary at the time and was a champion of the 769 project.......
I guess the name 'Chris Grayling' being involved tells us all we need to know.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Hello everyone, could anyone please advise me if 769s currently work in passenger service on Saturdays?

There are two diagrams for Saturdays similar to weekdays but, in practice, they don't seem to turn out for them. They are still in a semi testing/training mode which does not normally take place at weekends.

158srule

There are two diagrams for Saturdays similar to weekdays but, in practice, they don't seem to turn out for them. They are still in a semi testing/training mode which does not normally take place at weekends.
No 769s operate on a Saturday. 2 operate Monday - Friday only. 769s will operate on Saturdays from 22nd May and Sundays from 16th May

They haven't been seen on any passenger service at the moment over the past week. Only driver training runs
769007 will be out in passenger service tomorrow / Friday.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
No 769s operate on a Saturday. 2 operate Monday - Friday only. 769s will operate on Saturdays from 22nd May and Sundays from 16th May
I have seen SO diagrams CF204 (start 0702 ex RHY) and CF205 (start 0606 CDF to PEN) operative from 13/12/20 to 09/05/21 which had been obtained in a reply to a FOI Request (not by me). I did say they are not operating in practice.

Cardiff123

How many TfW 769s are currently in fully serviceable, fit and passed for passenger service condition on a daily basis, and how many are currently actually in passenger service on a daily basis?

Jacob Didcote

How many TfW 769s are currently in fully serviceable, fit and passed for passenger service condition on a daily basis, and how many are currently actually in passenger service on a daily basis?
Based on photos i've seen posted in the RiSW Facebook group...007,008 and 452 are regulars!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

I think that six have been out in passenger service, the daily requirement being 2 in passenger service and 2 for training but it seems that doesn't happen much of the time. .