• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport For Wales Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoneSouth

Looks like a good quality job, though the scheme is a bit GWR-drab.
I think this looks very smart and professional. I’d be much happier to ride in this than a shabby northern unit. The outside livery looks more professional than northern too, but then everything on the uk network managed this I suppose.

Nice job TfW.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Worm

The TfW livery makes class 15* units look a lot more modern than the Arriva one did which managed to make the 142’s look like 1st gen DMUs.

I’m still not struck on the logo however:
13EDE2E4-8204-4622-AC59-3FBFB039BB13.jpeg
It looks too much like the Take That logo:

1B408E8B-5078-449D-9BFC-F8E648A9762D.jpeg

hobbm013

List on Page 39 (post #1150) simplified and updated status' of

Many thanks to everyone for the information, I am trying to keep the list as up to date as I can to allow enthusiasts to keep track of what's going on

Tomos y Tanc

The TfW livery makes class 15* units look a lot more modern than the Arriva one did which managed to make the 142’s look like 1st gen DMUs.

I’m still not struck on the logo however:
View attachment 79779
It looks too much like the Take That logo:

View attachment 79780

I don't see much similarity myself. A letter inside a circle is a pretty common visual symbol, why pick out the Take That one on particular?

What I find more curious is that TfW uses the Cymru-Wales font for station signage etc and all signage on trains including the "Cymru a'r Gororau /Wales and Borders" which appears next to the TFW logo. Why use a differrent font for your brand identity? It's a minor thing but it's a bit odd.

hobbm013

I don't see much similarity myself. A letter inside a circle is a pretty common visual symbol, why pick out the Take That one on particular?

What I find more curious is that TfW uses the Cymru-Wales font for station signage etc and all signage on trains including the "Cymru a'r Gororau /Wales and Borders" which appears next to the TFW logo. Why use a differrent font for your brand identity? It's a minor thing but it's a bit odd.
Cymru Sans might be the font for Rail Services whereas the stencil font might be for Transport for Wales as a whole? That said writing signage in the stencil font used on the logo might be a bit odd though, Im sure it’s not uncommon for brands to use complimentary fonts8EF7FF17-DDCC-4705-880D-42728110ACE2.jpeg

arfortune

Cymru Sans might be the font for Rail Services whereas the stencil font might be for Transport for Wales as a whole? That said writing signage in the stencil font used on the logo might be a bit odd though, Im sure it’s not uncommon for brands to use complimentary fontsView attachment 79831
Yes you're along the right lines - according to the official blurb, "Wales Sans Body was created originally for Welsh Government as part of the Cymru Wales nation brand. A supporting ‘sister font’ Cymru Sans Transport has been created exclusively for Transport for Wales. This typeface is based on Wales Sans and sees the letters stencilled in a utilitarian manner to evoke the feeling of movement."

Not sure I would have said movement but who's to argue with marketing! ;)

Steelwheels

Or for the those of us of a certain age
U-k7CmOMnZcbsGf3vofRsMlyKOicVS7x6G1Ic5RPcamy-RaTArjR1NYs7gnSC6thvlZKt1I=s85
This was the Talbot cars/vans logo in the 80's and 90's.......

Are all these finished now?

153 353 (the first PRM @ Landore unit) will be leaving Landore at 2pm, to go back into service.

153 312 (unit 2) is already back in service

153 303 (unit 3) is undergoing paint and will be the next to be released in a few weeks

153 327 (unit 4) still has the bulk of its programme to get through and will be output at the end of the month.

153 362 (unit 5) will come in when unit 3 is released.

153 353 (the first PRM @ Landore unit) will be leaving Landore at 2pm, to go back into service.

153 312 (unit 2) is already back in service

153 303 (unit 3) is undergoing paint and will be the next to be released in a few weeks

153 327 (unit 4) still has the bulk of its programme to get through and will be output at the end of the month.

153 362 (unit 5) will come in when unit 3 is released.
Thanks

Anonymous10

Established Member
Must say the tfw livery does look smart on the class 175 and 153 in my opinion will they eventually do the same to station signage

hobbm013

Must say the tfw livery does look smart on the class 175 and 153 in my opinion will they eventually do the same to station signage
Yes, there’s been a few stations with updated signage already, at least Wrexham General, Chirk and North Llanrwst (I think), I’m sure more will come in time. Am sure I’ve seen some TfW signage around Cardiff Central too

Anonymous10

Established Member
Yes, there’s been a few stations with updated signage already, at least Wrexham General, Chirk and North Llanrwst (I think), I’m sure more will come in time. Am sure I’ve seen some TfW signage around Cardiff Central too
I've been surprised to see them renovate pembroke dock (new roof ect) surely if they are working on a station such as that it would be easier to redo the signage while they have people there

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
In response to a Tweet TFW have said that a re-livery programme for the 150s is planned to start at the end of August. The work will also include an internal refresh.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
No. As it happened it coupled up to it in Cardiff Central to go to Canton

No. As far as I can make out from pictures 153362 went down to Landore presumably to change over but returned leading 303 so hazard a guess there was a problem with 303 which required attention at Canton

ValleyLines142

Established Member
153362 was at Crewe last Tuesday. I was under the impression that it was next in line. But then I saw it on a Carmarthen service last week.

sd0733

Established Member
158819 is on its way back to Machynlleth after its refurb and repaint looking very shiny.

phil beard

This may have been written before, but I think the TfW livry looks too much like Greater Anglia. Perhaps a splash of green somewhere in the colour scheme would a) improve the looks and b) complete the Welsh flag colour compoenents,

_toommm_

Established Member
This may have been written before, but I think the TfW livry looks too much like Greater Anglia. Perhaps a splash of green somewhere in the colour scheme would a) improve the looks and b) complete the Welsh flag colour compoenents,

In a way, it worked out well for them because it meant they could push the ex. GA 170s out pretty much straight away once the training had took place ;)

Speed43125

Is that a big issue? the two will never operate on the same lines, and imo the red is quite good, GA are also getting various bits of light greys on their new stock too, come 2023, I doubt any would really be confused given all the legacy 321s etc will be gone and we'll have a slightly varied livery on the FLIRTs and Aventras, compared to (bright?) white with red accents on the TfW stock.

Still wish they'd do something about the Mk.4s though, that's where confusion could really arise! :D

Caaardiff

Do people usually even know what Train Operator they are travelling with? Nevermind the colour of their trains as well. There's no green in any of the Transport for Wales branding (TfW or TFWRS)

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Do people usually even know what Train Operator they are travelling with? Nevermind the colour of their trains as well. There's no green in any of the Transport for Wales branding (TfW or TFWRS)
Actually, there is an official shade of green (or maybe two, one light and one dark, but I can't remember for sure) within the brand guidance but it is only for use in specific cases (eg. lines on a route map) without approval from the relevant body (can't remember if it was a TfW or TfWRS document I was looking at).

158819 is on its way back to Machynlleth after its refurb and repaint looking very shiny.
What does the refurb involve? Has TfW actually started to make good on their franchise commitment to replace the aircon system on the 158s yet?

sd0733

Established Member
What does the refurb involve? Has TfW actually started to make good on their franchise commitment to replace the aircon system on the 158s yet?
This refurb is basically seat covers and carpets and a general refresh off the interior.
The air-con project is ongoing at Machynlleth i believe altough im fairly sure its a re-gas and overhaul of the system rather than full replacement..

Status
Not open for further replies.