• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Slipper

Definitely is. Can't wait to start something new
Did you have a medical after? I'm not sure if the last medicals came just before the training suspension mentioned last week, so could still be bit of a wait for courses.

That's the hardest thing to deal with at the moment, so chuffed to have passed, but with no knowledge of position in the talent pool and with covid and the related delays in training, it could be next month or 18 months time. Would be good to have a date to focus on

Welsh lady

Did you have a medical after? I'm not sure if the last medicals came just before the training suspension mentioned last week, so could still be bit of a wait for courses.

That's the hardest thing to deal with at the moment, so chuffed to have passed, but with no knowledge of position in the talent pool and with covid and the related delays in training, it could be next month or 18 months time. Would be good to have a date to focus on
The medicals were in the days before. I believe the announcement was the Friday and I had my medical on the Tuesday.. all I've been told is they're waiting for approval of new training dates..

Slipper

The medicals were in the days before. I believe the announcement was the Friday and I had my medical on the Tuesday.. all I've been told is they're waiting for approval of new training dates..
Thanks for that Welsh Lady, can't do anything but wait now. Good luck

Leemini

No mate I didn't respond in time so they filled the medicals up. Hopefully they will be passing out the last groups when training resumes and we can have a better case of timescales. But who knows at this point in time. For starting before april

Slipper

Thanks Leemini, yes the not knowing anything can be frustrating, find myself checking my emails and this forum a few times a day for any information.

Cho cho 25

The medicals were in the days before. I believe the announcement was the Friday and I had my medical on the Tuesday.. all I've been told is they're waiting for approval of new training
all trainees currently out on handling have been off for the last two weeks. Think there’s 2 courses that have recently started that are still in the classroom training. Obviously be a little hold up for some of them with regards to having enough instructors for them to pair up with.

Jamwheeler

Hi everyone I submitted my application last year still not heard anything but get an email every once in a while saying my application is still under review I applied for carmarthen has anyone heard anything from carmarthen?

Steam Power

Hi everyone I submitted my application last year still not heard anything but get an email every once in a while saying my application is still under review I applied for carmarthen has anyone heard anything from carmarthen?
Hi, I’m in the same position as you. I applied for Cardiff and Carmarthen last July and I’m still getting the same email as you are stating that my application is still under review and they will be shortlisting in the near future. I’m living in hope that no news is good news and we also have to consider how covid is affecting all recruitment and the necessary training involved. I have everything crossed right now, even my eyes lol. If you hear anything please let me know; all the very best to you.

Jamwheeler

Hi, I’m in the same position as you. I applied for Cardiff and Carmarthen last July and I’m still getting the same email as you are stating that my application is still under review and they will be shortlisting in the near future. I’m living in hope that no news is good news and we also have to consider how covid is affecting all recruitment and the necessary training involved. I have everything crossed right now, even my eyes lol. If you hear anything please let me know; all the very best to you.
Yes no problem I will let you know.

Mrt83

The trainer only found out this week, not sure if externals have been picked but it is definitely happening

Thats the only one I heard this week im afraid thats all I know for now
No problem, thanks for the info. Hope it's going well for you. Are you in class or remote?

Catweasel

I'm still waiting to hear about my medical! Fingers crossed I'll hear something soon! Good luck to all that have had theirs and waiting for the course to start, hope our paths will cross at some point!

JustJim93

Hi, I applied for Carmarthen last year as well, I've been emailed asking for my NI number and that I will be booked onto an assessment day within 6 months, that was in September and I still haven't heard anything. But with covid I doubt to hear from them anytime soon. Best of luck to you

RedRobin

Sorry I meant have they picked the ppl who are being trained yet. Ie have emails Gon out to potential trainees
Not sure to be honest, but if I were to guess I would say yes as externals would have to give notice to their jobs usually a month but dont quote me on it

Birtles8

Hi never posted on here but have been reading as I went through the process so thanks to everyones input on here!

Had my medical 12th of Jan and on Monday given my start date for Chester on the 15th of feb as well.
Congratulations mate well done, I will be meeting you on the 18th in person then.

Jamwheeler

Hi, I applied for Carmarthen last year as well, I've been emailed asking for my NI number and that I will be booked onto an assessment day within 6 months, that was in September and I still haven't heard anything. But with covid I doubt to hear from them anytime soon. Best of luck to you
That's good news at least your onto the next step hopefully you will get the assessment booked soon did they send you any preparation for the assessment? Best of luck

ArchangelA

I applied for Shrewsbury last year, not heard anything since, so I'm assuming that I'm still in the "pool". Anyone else in the same boat for Shrewsbury?

6opher

I applied for Shrewsbury last year, not heard anything since, so I'm assuming that I'm still in the "pool". Anyone else in the same boat for Shrewsbury?

When you say applied you do mean you’ve passed all the tests, interviews etc. yeah?

If you have only been in the pool since last year then that’s not long at all. You should try being in there nearly 3 years because of the franchise changing hands and only qualified drivers being recruited because of that. It was sooooo frustrating but was certainly worth the wait. I do laugh a bit when some people in here say they’ve been in the pool a while though because they don’t know what a while is compared to what a load of us on previous recruitment drives had to endure.