• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RedRobin

Thank you for that. I'm guessing those courses are for South. Fingers crossed we will get some info for Chester.
Well done to everyone passing their paper tests recently and good luck with stage 2!
I have no idea for North unfortunately but fingers cross won't be long mate

Thanks for the info!
How you finding the course?

Well done guys/girls and good luck on the next stage

Thanks for the info!
How you finding the course?

Well done guys/girls and good luck on the next stage
It's a great course but alot to process and remember hence why it's a 9 month course. Hardest part is getting the driving hours to be honest, DIs take leave or you are spare. Need a set amount of hours and its difficult to reach them.

But the course is great, everyone is helpful

MH211

Passed my paper tests in Chester last week! :D Still waiting for a date for the computer tests in Cardiff - anyone else still waiting after being told they’d passed? Thanks!

Craig37

Passed my paper tests in Chester last week! :D Still waiting for a date for the computer tests inCardiff - anyone else still waiting after being told they’d passed? Thanks
Congrats. Did you sits the tests on the Wednesday or Thursday?

Jeff1938

Passed my paper tests in Chester last week! :D Still waiting for a date for the computer tests in Cardiff - anyone else still waiting after being told they’d passed? Thanks!
Yes I did paper tests last weds, found out yesterday I’d passed but waiting to hear when I’m scheduled in for computer tests/mmi

Plodster

Think I met you both. Glad you got through
Great news
I think certain depots may be getting priority at the moment
One of my last e mails said Holyhead Pwllheli and Chester I think

mic1610

Had email today saying they're recruiting for South over the next few months so I'm guessing we're looking at the end of the year for North.

Had that email as well, I've got just over a year left on my psychometric results so I'm hoping they either pull their finger out or I hear off GB railfreight in the meantime.

JoeEcco

I’ve had a lovely reply to my email today saying that my application is still ongoing and that I will be notified of the outcome when it does get sifted so I’m over the moon with that.

Tanx30

So, I sat my stage 2 tests today (computers) passed the vigilance and perception tests with flying colours and failed on the 2 hand after my left hand handle came off from the joystick, so just as a pre warning to all you guys who are sitting them soon, be careful with your joysticks! After I mentioned it I was told by the assessor that they are meant to do that o_O and encouraged me to apply again after my 6 months are up…

Sorry to hear that mate. It is probably the most tricky stage that one due to the sensitivity of thr sticks combined with the nerves.

Hope you get another crack at it in the future.

BrokenSam

Oh right, because I've given my name and details on here.....

It's nice to have been given an update though, been a long time in limbo.
It's a fair comment I thought. I understand the frustration but they are here and it won't be too difficult for them to work it out.

So, I sat my stage 2 tests today (computers) passed the vigilance and perception tests with flying colours and failed on the 2 hand after my left hand handle came off from the joystick, so just as a pre warning to all you guys who are sitting them soon, be careful with your joysticks! After I mentioned it I was told by the assessor that they are meant to do that o_O and encouraged me to apply again after my 6 months are up…
Sorry to hear that but you will smash it next time. Thank you for warning.

Dups456

I’ve had a lovely reply to my email today saying that my application is still ongoing and that I will be notified of the outcome when it does get sifted so I’m over the moon with that.
Hi. That’s good news, it’s nice to know you are in the running and haven’t been lost in the system! Who is your contact for info? Did you get in touch with acorn or TfW?

Plodster

Yeah thank you for the update and warning
6 months will fly by for you then back in it

It's a fair comment I thought. I understand the frustration but they are here and it won't be too difficult for them to work it out.

Sorry to hear that but you will smash it next time. Thank you for warning.

As I've not said anything bad in my post I won't be losing any sleep over it and if/when you've been in a talent pool as long as some of us have then you can understand the frustration.

I won't be getting into this anymore on a public post, good luck with your application.

For those still waiting to do their computer tests and in particular the 2 hand coordination all I can say is don't complete the practice test straight away.

Give yourself time to get used to the controls and sensitivity before you move onto the actual test. The test track is also the track you'll actually be maneuvering on the actual test.

Good luck all.

Last edited:

Plodster

For those still waiting to do their computer tests and in particular the 2 hand coordination all I can say is don't complete the practice test straight away.

Give yourself time to get used to the controls and sensitivity before you move onto the actual test. The test track is also the track you'll actually be maneuvering on the actual test.

Good luck all.
Cheers mate
Take it the sticks are sensitive then?
And fall off from what Tanx30 is saying!!

Very sensitive. The little ball flew off my screen and said "contact test administrator". I obviously thought I was going to fail it after that but managed to pass.

Didn't see one fall off, didn't even know they could so that's an eye opener.

Jh199995

Very sensitive. The little ball flew off my screen and said "contact test administrator". I obviously thought I was going to fail it after that but managed to pass.

Didn't see one fall off, didn't even know they could so that's an eye opener.
By fall off I think he means they move upwards while your pushing them in direction, and can come off the shaft, I did notice they slide upwards when I was using them and could possibly come off.