• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richfoz84

So I sat the 2nd stage assessments in Cardiff yesterday but ended up failing on the WAFV vigilance test (the grey and black squares).

That was the one I thought I’d done relatively well on and had maybe not done quite so well on the others. Also was the one I did better on with the training materials! Frustratingly the girl from HR running the assessment yesterday couldn’t tell me what my score was or how close I was/wasn’t to passing…

She did “strongly encourage” me to apply again when I can after the 6 month wait is up and seemed keen to stress that lots fail the 1st time but get through on the 2nd attempt.

Bit disheartening in all honesty but not much else I can do apart from hope I get through a 2nd time.
I failed the bourdon with TFW, I waited 6 months and re applied. I only had to do the Bourdon.. my other passes still
Counted.. not sure if you’re aware of this so thought I’d tell you mate!

Adamevans45

Just having a quick scan of this, well done to all who have got this far and that have already been assesed and passed. This is a new world to me and i have my first assesment day on the 6th so alot of swatting up to be done. I recieved my invitation email with a booklet to practice, i assume that all that will be covered on the 1st assesment is in that booklet, and we wont be having any interviews on the day as such, just the testing?

Cheers
Adam

HeresHoping

Just having a quick scan of this, well done to all who have got this far and that have already been assesed and passed. This is a new world to me and i have my first assesment day on the 6th so alot of swatting up to be done. I recieved my invitation email with a booklet to practice, i assume that all that will be covered on the 1st assesment is in that booklet, and we wont be having any interviews on the day as such, just the testing?

Cheers
Adam
Stage 1 tests are just the written tests, details of which are in the practice materials you have been sent. You will be there for about 2.5 - 3hrs.
At the end they will give you the MMI questions for you to write a brief sentence on each example. This isnt marked but will be used if you get to stage 2.

If you pass stage 1 you go for stage 2 which is computer tests then if you pass them in morning you do the MMI in the afternoon.

BrokenSam

I was one of them until 2 weeks ago. So I suspect there will be more. I'd get in contact though as they did say they would be in touch after 3 weeks. I waited 8 or so.

Adamevans45

Stage 1 tests are just the written tests, details of which are in the practice materials you have been sent. You will be there for about 2.5 - 3hrs.
At the end they will give you the MMI questions for you to write a brief sentence on each example. This isnt marked but will be used if you get to stage 2.

If you pass stage 1 you go for stage 2 which is computer tests then if you pass them in morning you do the MMI in the afternoon.
Thank you! Just wondering what to concentrate all my effort on befofe the day

HeresHoping

Trying to prepare for my DMI on Monday. Can anyone tell me anything about the training programme once you get on a course as i dont know that much about it? I know its classroom based for some time and then you do a certain number of hours with an instructor but was after a bit more insight in case they ask me about what i know about the training or how i will deal with any challenges of it etc? Thanks in advance

Burt807

Hi there. I'm only going by what I was told by a driver......10 weeks or so either in class or via Teams. Will be an element of practical training and assessment like personal track safety, and simulator training. You'll then do a minimum of 240hrs with a Driver Instructor before you're signed off. From memory I think that's it in a nutshell

There are also exercises where you'll visit a station and write a report on an aspect of it. That's all I can think of

HeresHoping

Hi there. I'm only going by what I was told by a driver......10 weeks or so either in class or via Teams. Will be an element of practical training and assessment like personal track safety, and simulator training. You'll then do a minimum of 240hrs with a Driver Instructor before you're signed off. From memory I think that's it in a nutshell

There are also exercises where you'll visit a station and write a report on an aspect of it. That's all I can think of
Thanks very much, appreciate it!