• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

RyanC87

It varies depending on depots. At most TfW depots, you'll learn pretty much every route that depot works as part of your training, and you'll be working over them all once you're qualified. I'm pretty sure Cardiff Valleys work like this.

The exceptions are the mainline side of Cardiff, Shrewsbury, Crewe and Chester. All these depots have different links, which dictate what routes you'll cover.

If you're at Cardiff Mainline, then when you first qualify you'll be in a link with the most junior drivers, so you'll only work to Cheltenham, Ebbw Vale, Bridgend via VOG, and Maesteg. As time goes by you'll get the opportunity to move into more senior links, and with that goes the longer distance routes covered by Cardiff (Milford Haven, Chester and Crewe).
That's great, thanks for your reply

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
That's great, thanks for your reply
No problem.

I should add by the way, that for the example you gave not only are Barry Island and Bridgend via VOG treated as different routes, but they're worked by different depots. Only the Valleys depots (Cardiff Valleys, Rhymney, Treherbert) work Barry Island services, and only the mainline depots (Cardiff Mainline, Carmarthen) work the Bridgend via VOG services. In the case of the latter, crew changes take place at Cardiff Central between Mainline crews and Valleys crews.

RyanC87

No problem.

I should add by the way, that for the example you gave not only are Barry Island and Bridgend via VOG treated as different routes, but they're worked by different depots. Only the Valleys depots (Cardiff Valleys, Rhymney, Treherbert) work Barry Island services, and only the mainline depots (Cardiff Mainline, Carmarthen) work the Bridgend via VOG services. In the case of the latter, crew changes take place at Cardiff Central between Mainline crews and Valleys crews.
Ah ok. That's interesting to know. I assumed it would be the same due to it being the same line until the island train branches off.

Katwag1

Hi everyone, I’ve just applied for Crewe, where does it say what stage your application is at? Shall we start a new thread for this round of recruitment? Also wow that application form was pretty epic

RyanC87

Hi everyone, I’ve just applied for Crewe, where does it say what stage your application is at? Shall we start a new thread for this round of recruitment? Also wow that application form was pretty epic

Good luck mate.

On the portal it will update to shortlisting. Then invited to paper assessment. Mine never updated after that, but I start training on Monday.

Application is quite extensive. But we'll worth it.

Katwag1

Good luck mate.

On the portal it will update to shortlisting. Then invited to paper assessment. Mine never updated after that, but I start training on Monday.

Oh nice one, massive well done and good luck with training.

Good luck mate.

Hi, me again! Was the paper assessment the OPC or a pre OPC test like an SJT perhaps? Thanks.

Last edited:

RyanC87

Oh nice one, massive well done and good luck with training.

Hi, me again! Was the paper assessment the OPC or a pre OPC test like an SJT perhaps? Thanks.

Once you get through the application you are invited to do paper assessments.

Bourdon test, high and low beeps etc

Once you pass that you sit 3 computer tests and if you pass that you go straight into mmi. On this day you do the sjt before you start.

Pass that part and then it's the final dmi

Katwag1

Once you get through the application you are invited to do paper assessments.

Bourdon test, high and low beeps etc

Once you pass that you sit 3 computer tests and if you pass that you go straight into mmi. On this day you do the sjt before you start.

Pass that part and then it's the final dmi

Nice one, I’ve passed all the opc assessments just wondered if there was a stage before that. Fingers crossed my application is good enough. Thank you.

Jacob Didcote

Hi All,

Hope you are all well?

Been given dates for driver assessments on the 6th October. They have mentioned they are paper tests. Got a decent idea of what they entail but starting to stress! Any advice or tips? I don't want to just focus on paper assessments and they carry out both paper and computer tests.

Cheers,

Jake

InkyScrolls

Hi All,

Hope you are all well?

Been given dates for driver assessments on the 6th October. They have mentioned they are paper tests. Got a decent idea of what they entail but starting to stress! Any advice or tips? I don't want to just focus on paper assessments and they carry out both paper and computer tests.

Cheers,

Jake
Well done! I'm still showing as 'short listing'; which one did you apply for?

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Hi All,

Hope you are all well?

Cheers,

Jake

This is a great review of the general process

RyanC87

Hi All,

Hope you are all well?

Cheers,

Jake
It will only be the papers.

Group bourdon, just keep going over the practice. Weirdly you soon start to only see the 4s

A quick statement on a cartoon strip.

High and low tones. They play practice ones so you'll know what to listen for

Then same again but you'll be marking through a book

Then a yellow pages type task. Searching for plumbers. Ignore all the writing just circle the double symbols.

Fault finding on dials. Someone has created an identical one on here. Worth going over.

Then you'll write 6 answers to mmi questions. But you'll only do this if you pass and go back to do the computer tests. Don't stress over remembering them, they recap what you wrote on the day.

Leavesontrack

It will only be the papers.

Group bourdon, just keep going over the practice. Weirdly you soon start to only see the 4s

A quick statement on a cartoon strip.

High and low tones. They play practice ones so you'll know what to listen for

Then same again but you'll be marking through a book

Then a yellow pages type task. Searching for plumbers. Ignore all the writing just circle the double symbols.

Fault finding on dials. Someone has created an identical one on here. Worth going over.

Then you'll write 6 answers to mmi questions. But you'll only do this if you pass and go back to do the computer tests. Don't stress over remembering them, they recap what you wrote on the day.

Thats really great info.
Good luck for Monday keep us posted with how it goes..

I just about got my application in for Cardiff this time (having not completing it quick enough last time).. was tough esp the 'day of train driver' question. Its difficult to know what they are looking for. The others were OK. Still says shortlisting for me so we will see...

RyanC87

Thats really great info.
Good luck for Monday keep us posted with how it goes..

I just about got my application in for Cardiff this time (having not completing it quick enough last time).. was tough esp the 'day of train driver' question. Its difficult to know what they are looking for. The others were OK. Still says shortlisting for me so we will see...

They ask it again in the dmi. But they know if you aren't in the industry you will only know basic details. They asked me about risk of being tired or keeping alert. I gave an answer, they then added to it. Saying you can eat a sandwich, sip your coffee, get up and stretch legs at a station etc. Things I never really considered.

Leavesontrack

They ask it again in the dmi. But they know if you aren't in the industry you will only know basic details. They asked me about risk of being tired or keeping alert. I gave an answer, they then added to it. Saying you can eat a sandwich, sip your coffee, get up and stretch legs at a station etc. Things I never really considered.

Brill, good to know that they help you out with answers as well...

First stage is to pass inital sift, which can go either way...

RyanC87

Brill, good to know that they help you out with answers as well...

First stage is to pass inital sift, which can go either way...

Yea, its a strange one the application. Read many different theories about how they sift them.

Whereas if you pass its pretty much in your own hands to get through the stages. I spent a few hours on here searching different parts of the process and pretty much anything and everything you need to know is on here

Kenners

Hi, has anyone heard if they have been shortlisted for Chester , Crewe or Shrewsbury yet from the new trainee train driver advert posted last/this week? Thanks

Diedinium

Hi, has anyone heard if they have been shortlisted for Chester , Crewe or Shrewsbury yet from the new trainee train driver advert posted last/this week? Thanks
Just got an email saying I've been shortlisted for Shrewsbury!

Not much other information in the email apart from scheduling a day for assessment and that they're doing NI number checks, guess there'll be another one at some point with a date, fingers crossed!

Also, by "Paper assessment day", does that mean in the case of TfW Rail that it's the full Psychometric testing? Or is it some other test?

Anyone else had an email?

RyanC87

Not much other information in the email apart from scheduling a day for assessment and that they're doing NI number checks, guess there'll be another one at some point with a date, fingers crossed!

Also, by "Paper assessment day", does that mean in the case of TfW Rail that it's the full Psychometric testing? Or is it some other test?

Paper assessment is the tests yea. Nothing computer based. They do that on a separate day if you pass first lot.

Kenners

Excellent new , well done ! Still not heard for Chester . Hope it goes well

InkyScrolls

Excellent, well done! I've not heard back for Shrewsbury yet.

Voxin

Hello Everyone,

Just making a quick post to see if anyone has applied here for the driver position with TFW in Cardiff, and whether they have heard anything.

I’ve passed the psychometric tests with Avanti this year and I’m not sure if TFW is taking so long to reply because they’re going through my results or something else. I haven’t heard anything since the day I applied. I’ve only noticed the status on my application change to “Shortlisting”.

Shrewsbury vacancies with Tfw were released after Cardiff, and some people I saw on this forum, already had progression to the next stage.

Diedinium

Paper assessment is the tests yea. Nothing computer based. They do that on a separate day if you pass first lot.
Oh nice, so it's the real deal then - last time I got past shortlisting was with CrossCountry, and they did the interview first for some reason, Psychometric after.

Is there any information around about what sort of paper based tests they do?

Excellent new , well done ! Still not heard for Chester . Hope it goes well
Thank you, good luck to you as well!

SCDR_WMR

Established Member

Well done, onto the next stage eh! Good to see they're getting back to people swiftly