• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RyanC87

Does anyone know what happens on Bank Holidays as a driver. Is it enhanced rate or normal.

The girl who did my mmi said they work it as its a normal day for them. But not sure if that's across the board of all roles at TFW

craigybagel

Established Member
Does anyone know what happens on Bank Holidays as a driver. Is it enhanced rate or normal.

The girl who did my mmi said they work it as its a normal day for them. But not sure if that's across the board of all roles at TFW
It's the same, bank holidays effectively don't exist for drivers. The only exception is that if an extra bank holiday is given in a year (like this year with the Queen's jubilee) we may receive any extra annual leave day in lieu.

RyanC87

It's the same, bank holidays effectively don't exist for drivers. The only exception is that if an extra bank holiday is given in a year (like this year with the Queen's jubilee) we may receive any extra annual leave day in lieu.
Thanks for answering

Diedinium

Shrewsbury also now added.
Comeonboard
Applied to this, good luck to everyone...

Also, their pre-application questions had an option saying "willing to relocate" - I'm hoping that really is the case and they're willing to consider people like me who genuinely are willing to move, I live a 2h drive from Shrewsbury otherwise.

I hope the fact that I'm not Welsh won't reflect on me negatively either...

craigybagel

Established Member

Also, their pre-application questions had an option saying "willing to relocate" - I'm hoping that really is the case and they're willing to consider people like me who genuinely are willing to move, I live a 2h drive from Shrewsbury otherwise.

I can't speak for how strict they are on the distance thing, but I've no idea at all why you think they would care about being Welsh or not. I'm struggling to think of a single Welsh driver based at Shrewsbury.

Diedinium

I can't speak for how strict they are on the distance thing, but I've no idea at all why you think they would care about being Welsh or not. I'm struggling to think of a single Welsh driver based at Shrewsbury.
Ah ok, that's good to know, I mean, I was thinking since it's Transport for Wales they'd prioritise hiring Welsh... Guess that makes sense though since Shrewsbury isn't actually in Wales lol

craigybagel

Established Member
I've read on here enhanced but not sure. Someone did mention it's on the opc website
Unless it's changed, TfW isn't listed on the OPC website. I've heard contrasting arguments as to whether it's standard or enhanced but no conclusive answers.

Pulled already.

InkyScrolls

Under 'Current stage' my application is shown as 'Shortlisting'; does that mean they're going through shortlisting people, of which I might be one, or that I'm already on the shortlist?

RyanC87

Means they are currently going through shortlisting. Mine took about 4 days then I got an email saying I was through to the assessment. Good luck

I got an application in for Crewe copy & pasting the prep I did for the Shrewsbury post.

Quick yes. But, I'm pretty sure the Shrewsbury 2020 ad stayed open a tad longer than 48 hours.

RyanC87

Some great work put into the traction and route thread. Very informative and useful in my DMI so thanks craigybagel.

Just wondering if you don't sign all routes, as a trainee do you get given a few routes or just 1.

If its more than 1 is it a similar route. So Cardiff to Bridgend via the Vale is similar to that going to Barry Island. Minus rhoose, Llantwit and Bridgend.

Or could you get two completely different routes, say Cardiff to milford haven and Newport to Cheltenham.

Also is it pot luck what you get, are some more glamorous than others.

Id quite like the Vale one as I know all the stops and landmarks having been a passanger for about 11 years

craigybagel

Established Member
Some great work put into the traction and route thread. Very informative and useful in my DMI so thanks craigybagel.

Just wondering if you don't sign all routes, as a trainee do you get given a few routes or just 1.

If its more than 1 is it a similar route. So Cardiff to Bridgend via the Vale is similar to that going to Barry Island. Minus rhoose, Llantwit and Bridgend.

Or could you get two completely different routes, say Cardiff to milford haven and Newport to Cheltenham.

Also is it pot luck what you get, are some more glamorous than others.

Id quite like the Vale one as I know all the stops and landmarks having been a passanger for about 11 years
It varies depending on depots. At most TfW depots, you'll learn pretty much every route that depot works as part of your training, and you'll be working over them all once you're qualified. I'm pretty sure Cardiff Valleys work like this.

The exceptions are the mainline side of Cardiff, Shrewsbury, Crewe and Chester. All these depots have different links, which dictate what routes you'll cover.

If you're at Cardiff Mainline, then when you first qualify you'll be in a link with the most junior drivers, so you'll only work to Cheltenham, Ebbw Vale, Bridgend via VOG, and Maesteg. As time goes by you'll get the opportunity to move into more senior links, and with that goes the longer distance routes covered by Cardiff (Milford Haven, Chester and Crewe).