• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trips by Bus and Coach: Your reports

RELL6L

Last Friday looked like it was going to be a sunny day away from the South East and I was able to take advantage of this and take a trip somewhere scenic, my last few trips having been comparatively lacking in countryside scenery, with the added bonus of doing a circuit which was not possible every day of the week.

So at 8.00 I was in the Shropshire village of Pontesbury where I had chosen to start as it was easy to park and looked slightly more attractive than Minsterley, a slightly larger village down the road dominated by the Muller factory. My first bus was on the Minsterley Motors service 553, the company obviously named after the larger village but now based outside it, which I took to Bishops Castle on an Optare Versa. Clearly this journey was a school run for Bishops Castle Community College but there were other passengers travelling to Pontesbury and Minsterley before we took to the more remote countryside along the A488. The road passed through a steep valley before reaching a road junction near the village of Gravels where it almost appeared we were about to be hijhacked! A minibus was parked off the side of the road but we came to a halt in the middle of the road and the minibus pulled out right across the road. But no balaclavas or machine guns, just around 8 school children who got off the minibus which had presumably brought them from the nearby villages, and onto our bus. The minibus reversed and we continued on our way, picking up a few more children to arrive at Bishops Castle around half full. The bus did not follow the route shown by BusTimes but instead dropped all the school children at the school then took me to the centre of the town, where the bus then has an hour before its next journey.

Bishops Castle is a real gem. It is totally off the beaten track and is a delightful small town set on quite a steep hill with old buildings, many painted in bright colours. The town is popular with walkers and has an ‘alternative’ art and craft community but at 9am on a Friday morning it was quiet as I wandered around the narrow streets.

My next leg was the two days a week 745 towards Ludlow, also operated by Minsterley Motors. When I checked BusTimes the previous day I was concerned to see that the route had disappeared, but it was still on Minsterley’s website and a check of vehicles showed it had run on Monday, but I still made a quick phone call on Thursday to check it still ran. The Shropshire tender apparently runs until March and it runs at least until then, just on Mondays (Ludlow market day) and Fridays. A check on the Minsterley Motors map on BusTimes showed a Solo on the way and it turned up about 5 minutes late. There were four of us boarding at Bishops Castle and passes are valid, even though it was not yet 9.30. We then continued south down the A488 to the lovely village of Clun, an adorable place with a river, the remains of a castle and several shops. It would be lovely to spend a little time here but that isn’t possible by bus, with one bus each way two days a week. Seven more passengers joined here and one further along the valley at Clunton, but no more further passengers even on a lengthy double run to Lydbury North. I think 12 passengers on such a rural run is pretty good these days, I reckon I was the youngest and I suspect few of them had an alternative means of transport for such a journey. The oldest and lamest passenger was on the phone and then announced that his connecting train at Craven Arms was on time, I knew this as it was my next leg too. I think four of us alighted at Craven Arms, there was time for a very quick look before walking up to the station, buying a ticket and crossing the footbridge. The old passenger from the bus was just arriving via an alternative route through a nearby housing estate which provided direct access to the northbound platform, I’m not sure he could have managed the bridge.

I was taking the train so that I could spend a few minutes in Church Stretton. Even though it was an overtime ban day in England, Transport for Wales trains were not affected and of course, for train purposes, the main line from Hereford to Manchester is in Wales! Announcements were all bilingual with Welsh first, I never knew there was a Welsh for Manchester but the word Piccadilly after it gave the game away! I was lucky the line was running well because previous days had been affected by over-running engineering work near Leominster and the following day there was an incident at Craven Arms and no trains at all. My train was in fact a few minutes late and was four carriages hauled by a class 67. I alighted at Church Stretton and had to walk fairly briskly around my pre-planned route to enjoy the best of this delightful town centre. The town sits under the peak of Long Mynd to its west and has been a popular resort town since Victorian times with many attractive buildings. It is a contrast with Bishops Castle, larger and clearly more prosperous and much busier. I only had about 15 minutes here, hence the precision planning, before catching the Minsterley Motors 435 bus to Shrewsbury. My bus was an MCV bodied Volvo B7RLE, the only non-Optare bus in the Minsterley fleet. This was running a few minutes late which gave me a little more time in this delightful town.

The 435 took me north to Shrewsbury, diverting off the A49 to serve Great Ryton and Condover. The centre of Shrewsbury was quite busy and I alighted in the square to take in a little of the town centre. This is a strategic centre for bus travel and I had been here many times before, using the opportunities to explore most of the centre of this delightful place, the back streets near the city centre being highlights along with the Old Market Hall and the bridges – the town sitting on a bend in the river Severn. From here I walked down and across Welsh Bridge to board my next bus within the one way system of Frankwell.

The next leg of my trip was the Tanat Valley 74 to Llanymynech which runs twice a day. This was another Optare Versa in a smart dark blue colour scheme. A few passengers on board although some were for the Shrewsbury suburbs we passed through and a few alighted at the first village of Ford. Others got off at Alberbury, Coedway and at Crewgreen we turned up a steep hill to a small estate which gave a great view of Admiral Rodney’s Pillar on the top of a nearby hill. Here the last other passenger left but one joined for a short trip as far as the nearest petrol station in Llandrinio from which it was clear he intended to return on the same bus in about 20 minutes. I asked if my pass was valid all the way to Llanymynech and was told it was even though we were in Wales for a good part of the journey. Some lovely distant views on this section. Llanymynech was in the news during Covid as the England-Wales border runs up the A49, the main street in the village, with pubs on either side of the road. At one time there were lockdowns one side or the other and at one time the Welsh pub was forced to close while at another time the English one was, while citizens from the two countries were not supposed to cross the border. The A49 was quite busy but the Montgomery Canal, passing underneath, was very tranquil.

At Llanymynych I made a mistake, compounded by an over-cautious misjudgement later. My next leg was to take the T12 north to Oswestry to spend a while there before heading back south to Welshpool. I had planned this because the 74 from Shrewsbury arrives about 10 minutes after the 2-hourly southbound T12 should have left. The T12 is a bit complicated on BusTimes because it has two operators but the route map does show where the buses are. I was checking my northbound bus which was on time, but I failed to spot that the southbound bus I should have missed was running late. In fact I could have spent about 7 minutes in Llanymynech (not really enough but it would have done) and headed directly to Welshpool. I never actually saw the southbound bus as I was exploring the canal when it passed and it was only when I got back to the bus stop that I realised what I could have done. Although this bus stop was on the Welsh side of the road the driver of the northbound T12, a Tanat Valley Optare Tempo in Traws Cymru colours, said I could again use my pass on the bus. As we set off I found out why the southbound one had been late – roadworks on the A49 in the next village of Pant with poor traffic management causing long delays. To me they seemed quite bad and we were held up for about 15 minutes and it looked worse the other way. I was then concerned, with Friday afternoon traffic on a busy artery, that my intended T12 southbound a bit later would be affected even more and I would not get to Welshpool in time for my leg back to Shrewsbury which would leave me at risk of not getting back to Pontesbury at all. In the event I was quite wrong here, the T12 I decided not to take was only 10 minutes late getting to Welshpool and I could easily have continued as planned.

I still had half an hour in Oswestry and explored the pleasant area to the west of the town centre around the remains of the old castle, of which little remains. The best buildings in the town are around here, the main town centre being mostly typical chain store shops. Having decided not to head south to Welshpool I then chose to take the village route to Shrewsbury, the 576, also operated by Tanat Valley. For some reason this does not track on BusTimes even though the timetable is shown. Any bus on the 576 simply does not appear. My bus was a 72-plate E200 MMC, one of a trio of newer vehicles and a contrast to the rather older vehicles on most of Tanat Valley’s routes. This heads to Shrewsbury first keeping west of the A5 and going through the village of Knockin, with its famous “Knockin shop”, then over to the east of the A5 and through Baschurch and Bomere Heath. The countryside is pleasant but not dramatic like further west and the villages not desperately interesting, Bomere Heath in particular looks like suburbia anywhere. There were plenty of passengers though, both starting from Oswestry and leaving at villages on the way and several more joining all the way along to go to Shrewsbury, despite this now being mid afternoon. Quite encouraging I thought for this supported service. Taking this was a good choice as the direct Arriva X5 was running well off track and the journey I might have caught arrived at Shrewsbury over an hour late, whereas my 576 was on time. The 2A running north from Oswestry was also much delayed.

Arriving at Shrewsbury on time meant I could add an extra twist to my day instead of just heading back to Pontesbury and going home. I took the next Minsterley Motors 552 – this and the 553 are basically the same route and the buses actually show 552/3 on the blind. This time the bus was an Optare Metrocity and I stayed on this beyond Pontesbury and Minsterley to the village of Stiperstones, up into the hills and well off the beaten track. There are a few houses here and the road up gives some great views of the hills, but the real reason the village gets 5+ journeys a day is that the Minsterley Motors depot is nearby, down a narrow track beyond the village. This meant that I could spend 25 minutes at Stiperstones taking in the views before the same bus reappeared to head back to Shrewsbury, with me travelling as far as Pontesbury. To be fair there were other passengers from Shrewsbury to Snailbeach and Stiperstones and another passenger joined with me on the return journey at Stiperstones. This quaint little diversion off the main road was completely new to me and a great way to end a most enjoyable trip.

So I should have headed via Welshpool as planned, although I wouldn’t then have visited Stiperstones. If I had been alert and gone to Welshpool on the earlier bus I could have gone to Stiperstones but would not have gone to Oswestry. As it was I did Oswestry and Stiperstones, leaving the routes to Welshpool for another time. I have been to Welshpool a couple of times before, even starting a trip there which included walking over the Pontcysyllte aqueduct and visiting Barmouth and Aberdyfi, so not too much of a loss. A very scenic day out on a lovely sunny day. All my bus journeys of the day except two were on Optare vehicles and I did not even catch sight of a double decker.

More good weather this weekend I think, unfortunately I have other commitments all days.

Some pictures:
23C16-1 Bishops Castle.jpg
Bishops Castle

23C16-2 Bishops Castle.jpg
Bishops Castle

23C16-3 Clun.JPG
Clun

23C16-4 between Craven Arms and Church Stretton.JPG
Between Craven Arms and Church Stretton

23C16-5b Church Stretton.jpg
Church Stretton

23C16-6 Shrewsbury.jpg
Shrewsbury

23C16-8 Llanymynech.JPG
Llanymynech

23C16-9 Oswestry.JPG
Oswestry

23C16-10 Stiperstones.jpg
Stiperstones

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ian1944

Small correction re. Llanymynech, it's the A483 not the A5.

When it comes to sleepy scenic Salop, Housman's the one: "Clunton and Clunbury, Clungunford and Clun, are the quietest places under the sun".

RELL6L

Small correction re. Llanymynech, it's the A483 not the A5.

When it comes to sleepy scenic Salop, Housman's the one: "Clunton and Clunbury, Clungunford and Clun, are the quietest places under the sun".

You are right, of course it the A483 through Llanymynech and Pant, don’t know what I was thinking! I actually claimed it was the A49, not the A5.

Yes the Clun area is really tranquil and remote.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Last Friday looked like it was going to be a sunny day away from the South East and I was able to take advantage of this and take a trip somewhere scenic, my last few trips having been comparatively lacking in countryside scenery, with the added bonus of doing a circuit which was not possible every day of the week.

So at 8.00 I was in the Shropshire village of Pontesbury where I had chosen to start as it was easy to park and looked slightly more attractive than Minsterley, a slightly larger village down the road dominated by the Muller factory. My first bus was on the Minsterley Motors service 553, the company obviously named after the larger village but now based outside it, which I took to Bishops Castle on an Optare Versa. Clearly this journey was a school run for Bishops Castle Community College but there were other passengers travelling to Pontesbury and Minsterley before we took to the more remote countryside along the A488. The road passed through a steep valley before reaching a road junction near the village of Gravels where it almost appeared we were about to be hijhacked! A minibus was parked off the side of the road but we came to a halt in the middle of the road and the minibus pulled out right across the road. But no balaclavas or machine guns, just around 8 school children who got off the minibus which had presumably brought them from the nearby villages, and onto our bus. The minibus reversed and we continued on our way, picking up a few more children to arrive at Bishops Castle around half full. The bus did not follow the route shown by BusTimes but instead dropped all the school children at the school then took me to the centre of the town, where the bus then has an hour before its next journey.

Bishops Castle is a real gem. It is totally off the beaten track and is a delightful small town set on quite a steep hill with old buildings, many painted in bright colours. The town is popular with walkers and has an ‘alternative’ art and craft community but at 9am on a Friday morning it was quiet as I wandered around the narrow streets.

My next leg was the two days a week 745 towards Ludlow, also operated by Minsterley Motors. When I checked BusTimes the previous day I was concerned to see that the route had disappeared, but it was still on Minsterley’s website and a check of vehicles showed it had run on Monday, but I still made a quick phone call on Thursday to check it still ran. The Shropshire tender apparently runs until March and it runs at least until then, just on Mondays (Ludlow market day) and Fridays. A check on the Minsterley Motors map on BusTimes showed a Solo on the way and it turned up about 5 minutes late. There were four of us boarding at Bishops Castle and passes are valid, even though it was not yet 9.30. We then continued south down the A488 to the lovely village of Clun, an adorable place with a river, the remains of a castle and several shops. It would be lovely to spend a little time here but that isn’t possible by bus, with one bus each way two days a week. Seven more passengers joined here and one further along the valley at Clunton, but no more further passengers even on a lengthy double run to Lydbury North. I think 12 passengers on such a rural run is pretty good these days, I reckon I was the youngest and I suspect few of them had an alternative means of transport for such a journey. The oldest and lamest passenger was on the phone and then announced that his connecting train at Craven Arms was on time, I knew this as it was my next leg too. I think four of us alighted at Craven Arms, there was time for a very quick look before walking up to the station, buying a ticket and crossing the footbridge. The old passenger from the bus was just arriving via an alternative route through a nearby housing estate which provided direct access to the northbound platform, I’m not sure he could have managed the bridge.

I was taking the train so that I could spend a few minutes in Church Stretton. Even though it was an overtime ban day in England, Transport for Wales trains were not affected and of course, for train purposes, the main line from Hereford to Manchester is in Wales! Announcements were all bilingual with Welsh first, I never knew there was a Welsh for Manchester but the word Piccadilly after it gave the game away! I was lucky the line was running well because previous days had been affected by over-running engineering work near Leominster and the following day there was an incident at Craven Arms and no trains at all. My train was in fact a few minutes late and was four carriages hauled by a class 67. I alighted at Church Stretton and had to walk fairly briskly around my pre-planned route to enjoy the best of this delightful town centre. The town sits under the peak of Long Mynd to its west and has been a popular resort town since Victorian times with many attractive buildings. It is a contrast with Bishops Castle, larger and clearly more prosperous and much busier. I only had about 15 minutes here, hence the precision planning, before catching the Minsterley Motors 435 bus to Shrewsbury. My bus was an MCV bodied Volvo B7RLE, the only non-Optare bus in the Minsterley fleet. This was running a few minutes late which gave me a little more time in this delightful town.

The 435 took me north to Shrewsbury, diverting off the A49 to serve Great Ryton and Condover. The centre of Shrewsbury was quite busy and I alighted in the square to take in a little of the town centre. This is a strategic centre for bus travel and I had been here many times before, using the opportunities to explore most of the centre of this delightful place, the back streets near the city centre being highlights along with the Old Market Hall and the bridges – the town sitting on a bend in the river Severn. From here I walked down and across Welsh Bridge to board my next bus within the one way system of Frankwell.

The next leg of my trip was the Tanat Valley 74 to Llanymynech which runs twice a day. This was another Optare Versa in a smart dark blue colour scheme. A few passengers on board although some were for the Shrewsbury suburbs we passed through and a few alighted at the first village of Ford. Others got off at Alberbury, Coedway and at Crewgreen we turned up a steep hill to a small estate which gave a great view of Admiral Rodney’s Pillar on the top of a nearby hill. Here the last other passenger left but one joined for a short trip as far as the nearest petrol station in Llandrinio from which it was clear he intended to return on the same bus in about 20 minutes. I asked if my pass was valid all the way to Llanymynech and was told it was even though we were in Wales for a good part of the journey. Some lovely distant views on this section. Llanymynech was in the news during Covid as the England-Wales border runs up the A49, the main street in the village, with pubs on either side of the road. At one time there were lockdowns one side or the other and at one time the Welsh pub was forced to close while at another time the English one was, while citizens from the two countries were not supposed to cross the border. The A49 was quite busy but the Montgomery Canal, passing underneath, was very tranquil.

At Llanymynych I made a mistake, compounded by an over-cautious misjudgement later. My next leg was to take the T12 north to Oswestry to spend a while there before heading back south to Welshpool. I had planned this because the 74 from Shrewsbury arrives about 10 minutes after the 2-hourly southbound T12 should have left. The T12 is a bit complicated on BusTimes because it has two operators but the route map does show where the buses are. I was checking my northbound bus which was on time, but I failed to spot that the southbound bus I should have missed was running late. In fact I could have spent about 7 minutes in Llanymynech (not really enough but it would have done) and headed directly to Welshpool. I never actually saw the southbound bus as I was exploring the canal when it passed and it was only when I got back to the bus stop that I realised what I could have done. Although this bus stop was on the Welsh side of the road the driver of the northbound T12, a Tanat Valley Optare Tempo in Traws Cymru colours, said I could again use my pass on the bus. As we set off I found out why the southbound one had been late – roadworks on the A49 in the next village of Pant with poor traffic management causing long delays. To me they seemed quite bad and we were held up for about 15 minutes and it looked worse the other way. I was then concerned, with Friday afternoon traffic on a busy artery, that my intended T12 southbound a bit later would be affected even more and I would not get to Welshpool in time for my leg back to Shrewsbury which would leave me at risk of not getting back to Pontesbury at all. In the event I was quite wrong here, the T12 I decided not to take was only 10 minutes late getting to Welshpool and I could easily have continued as planned.

I still had half an hour in Oswestry and explored the pleasant area to the west of the town centre around the remains of the old castle, of which little remains. The best buildings in the town are around here, the main town centre being mostly typical chain store shops. Having decided not to head south to Welshpool I then chose to take the village route to Shrewsbury, the 576, also operated by Tanat Valley. For some reason this does not track on BusTimes even though the timetable is shown. Any bus on the 576 simply does not appear. My bus was a 72-plate E200 MMC, one of a trio of newer vehicles and a contrast to the rather older vehicles on most of Tanat Valley’s routes. This heads to Shrewsbury first keeping west of the A5 and going through the village of Knockin, with its famous “Knockin shop”, then over to the east of the A5 and through Baschurch and Bomere Heath. The countryside is pleasant but not dramatic like further west and the villages not desperately interesting, Bomere Heath in particular looks like suburbia anywhere. There were plenty of passengers though, both starting from Oswestry and leaving at villages on the way and several more joining all the way along to go to Shrewsbury, despite this now being mid afternoon. Quite encouraging I thought for this supported service. Taking this was a good choice as the direct Arriva X5 was running well off track and the journey I might have caught arrived at Shrewsbury over an hour late, whereas my 576 was on time. The 2A running north from Oswestry was also much delayed.

Arriving at Shrewsbury on time meant I could add an extra twist to my day instead of just heading back to Pontesbury and going home. I took the next Minsterley Motors 552 – this and the 553 are basically the same route and the buses actually show 552/3 on the blind. This time the bus was an Optare Metrocity and I stayed on this beyond Pontesbury and Minsterley to the village of Stiperstones, up into the hills and well off the beaten track. There are a few houses here and the road up gives some great views of the hills, but the real reason the village gets 5+ journeys a day is that the Minsterley Motors depot is nearby, down a narrow track beyond the village. This meant that I could spend 25 minutes at Stiperstones taking in the views before the same bus reappeared to head back to Shrewsbury, with me travelling as far as Pontesbury. To be fair there were other passengers from Shrewsbury to Snailbeach and Stiperstones and another passenger joined with me on the return journey at Stiperstones. This quaint little diversion off the main road was completely new to me and a great way to end a most enjoyable trip.

So I should have headed via Welshpool as planned, although I wouldn’t then have visited Stiperstones. If I had been alert and gone to Welshpool on the earlier bus I could have gone to Stiperstones but would not have gone to Oswestry. As it was I did Oswestry and Stiperstones, leaving the routes to Welshpool for another time. I have been to Welshpool a couple of times before, even starting a trip there which included walking over the Pontcysyllte aqueduct and visiting Barmouth and Aberdyfi, so not too much of a loss. A very scenic day out on a lovely sunny day. All my bus journeys of the day except two were on Optare vehicles and I did not even catch sight of a double decker.

More good weather this weekend I think, unfortunately I have other commitments all days.

Some pictures:
View attachment 144149
Bishops Castle

View attachment 144150
Bishops Castle

View attachment 144151
Clun

View attachment 144152
Between Craven Arms and Church Stretton

View attachment 144153
Church Stretton

View attachment 144154
Shrewsbury

View attachment 144155
Llanymynech

View attachment 144156
Oswestry

View attachment 144157
Stiperstones
A lovely trip report and clearly very well planned.

It's an area that I know but not by public transport. I've cycled in the area before on a few occasions. Been mountain biking on the Long Mynd so I know how delightful Church Stretton is. However, Bishops Castle is an absolute joy; think me and my mate stopped for lunch as we cycled from Welshpool to Ludlow. Another time, we stayed in Clun at the White Horse, watching England crashing out of the Euros against Italy (2012?) - think it qualifies as a town on account of some ancient charter IIRC.

The only places I've travelled to by bus are the 435 Ludlow to Shrewsbury (which was on a Midland Red West Dart - yes, that long ago) and on the D71 on an Arriva Tiger from Welshpool to Oswestry so fair to say... a bit overdue. It's a beautiful area that moves that bit more slowly, and thank you for your account.

RELL6L

A lovely trip report and clearly very well planned.

It's an area that I know but not by public transport. I've cycled in the area before on a few occasions. Been mountain biking on the Long Mynd so I know how delightful Church Stretton is. However, Bishops Castle is an absolute joy; think me and my mate stopped for lunch as we cycled from Welshpool to Ludlow. Another time, we stayed in Clun at the White Horse, watching England crashing out of the Euros against Italy (2012?) - think it qualifies as a town on account of some ancient charter IIRC.

The only places I've travelled to by bus are the 435 Ludlow to Shrewsbury (which was on a Midland Red West Dart - yes, that long ago) and on the D71 on an Arriva Tiger from Welshpool to Oswestry so fair to say... a bit overdue. It's a beautiful area that moves that bit more slowly, and thank you for your account.
Thank you. Yes, trips in places with so few bus services have to be very carefully planned! It’s a gorgeous part of Shropshire and I bet it’s fantastic cycling country- even if there aren’t many flat bits!

Going much further back I vaguely recall doing Ludlow to Shrewsbury on a Midland Red Fleetline. And more recently Llanfyllin to Oswestry on an Tanat Valley Olympian.

Ludlow to Shrewsbury is touristy in places but the rest of the area is gloriously overlooked!

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Yesterday, I decided to have a stroll along the Meon Valley Trail in Hampshire, which runs along a stretch of the old Alton to Fareham railway line for around 11 miles between West Meon and Wickham. To do this, I made four bus journeys using three different routes operated by Stagecoach South - the 64 Alton to New Alresford, 67 New Alresford to West Meon, 69 Wickham to Winchester, and 64 again Winchester to Alton).

0950 64 Alton to New Alresford (1019)
18512: GX06 DXK - Trident / ALX400

Having started a few minutes earlier at Alton railway station, I boarded this journey on the High Street and the service picked up a steady stream of passengers en route to Winchester - a mix of expected concessions on such a timed journey, but also what I presume were students as well as parents with children on - I suspect - shopping/leisure trips with their kids to Winchester. A number of concessions who had joined in Alton and Four Marks alighted with me in the attractive centre of New Alresford, with almost perfect timing along the way despite the very regular stopping. The Trident, still wearing classic beachball livery, performed well for its age and seemed in ok condition from a passenger's point of view, even if it is over a decade older than the four Enviro 400MMCs recently rebranded for the route. That said, while the high-back seats were comfortable, I do find they make the top deck feel a bit more 'penned in' and they do block some of the view for shorter adults if sat further back along the bus.

1049 67 New Alresford to West Meon (1111)
19159: NK07 HBB - Enviro 400

With half an hour to kill, I popped in to the Watercress Line heritage railway line's station to have a nosey. The 67 doesn't serve the main centre of Alresford as there's nowhere it could really turn to head back west, so it departs a short walk around the corner from the high street. The next 64 was due in Alresford at the same time as my 67 was due to depart, and with the 67 offering just a handful of journeys per day, the resulting three hour wait for the next one would've put a bit of a dampener on the day(!) The tracker showed the 67 as running around ten minutes late and then not moving, making me fear it had broken down on the outskirts of Winchester. I was therefore rather surprised when it pulled up bang on time! Looking at BusTimes now, it appears something must've gone amiss because at 1111 it is shown just off the Atlantic coast of western France... This was another vehicle still wearing classic beach ball livery and had a very friendly young driver at the helm. I've covered this route - full length from Petersfield to Winchester - in a previous report during the school holidays, but that was on a single deck. While that gave a better sense of how tight some of these roads are as you are on the same level as the driver, the top deck offered during term time gives a great view over the hedgerows in this attractive area through the village of Cheriton and past the Hinton Ampner National Trust property. The Meon Valley Trail starts around ten minutes walk from The Thomas Lord bus stop.

1520 69 Wickham to Winchester (1635)

After around 3.5hrs gentle stroll along the eleven mile stretch of old railway line, I arrived in Wickham with around 40 minutes until my next bus on the hourly route 69 between Fareham and Winchester. Having worked up a bit of an appetite, I popped into The King's Head Fuller's pub for a pint and (unexpectedly large!) sandwich. It was only after happening to choose to sit by the window by chance, and several minutes passing, that I noticed one item of decoration above my head - an old local bus blind! My next bus happened to be my first bus, with the ALX400-bodied Trident I travelled to Alresford on this morning arriving to take me up to Winchester. The bus stop is located alongside the attractive town square, albeit surrounded by cars these days. Bagging the same offside upstairs seat that I travelled in earlier, I found this to be a very interesting route zigzagging between various settlements along the way. This journey seemed to attract several school flows along the way, even if some only seemed to consist of a handful of students, but also carried its fair share of adult fare paying passengers as well. I believe this hourly commercial cross-country route is the prime reason for the continued operation of the small 5-disc outstation near Botley railway station (with newish route 49/49h I believe also operating from there now). As the journey progressed, school run traffic saw us gradually lose time to a point of around eight minutes delay. By Winchester city centre we were down to five minutes delay, where we were kicked off at The Arc at 1634 - due approx 1629 - as the driver said he needed to go to Peter Symonds College to do a school run (BusTimes suggests this was the 1648 Peter Symonds College to Alton X64, with the bus then spending the night at the Farringdon outstation near Alton). What should've been a 15 minute connection near Winchester Bus Station therefore became a 10 minute walk right across the town navigated by my smartphone.

1650 64 Winchester to Alton (1736)
27568: GX58 GNV - Enviro 200

I made my 64, which I found boarding on Stand 7 instead of vacant Stand 5, hidden behind another vehicle that was stopped on Stand 6. Like my earlier 64, this was also not one of the newly branded deckers. This was a single deck Enviro 300 which was uncomfortably full - any rattly - for most of the journey, with a large number of those alighting along the way getting replaced by boarding passengers. It was also very stuffy, with most of the windows closed and the one nearest me seemingly wedged shut. A most unenjoyable journey, which appears to have been single deck the few days prior too. Like my 69's vehicle, this bus also appears to have ended its day at the Farringdon outstation judging by the BusTimes tracking.

destinationblind.jpg

droxford.jpg

overbridge.jpg

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Yesterday, I decided to have a stroll along the Meon Valley Trail in Hampshire, which runs along a stretch of the old Alton to Fareham railway line for around 11 miles between West Meon and Wickham. To do this, I made four bus journeys using three different routes operated by Stagecoach South - the 64 Alton to New Alresford, 67 New Alresford to West Meon, 69 Wickham to Winchester, and 64 again Winchester to Alton).

Having started a few minutes earlier at Alton railway station, I boarded this journey on the High Street and the service picked up a steady stream of passengers en route to Winchester - a mix of expected concessions on such a timed journey, but also what I presume were students as well as parents with children on - I suspect - shopping/leisure trips with their kids to Winchester. A number of concessions who had joined in Alton and Four Marks alighted with me in the attractive centre of New Alresford, with almost perfect timing along the way despite the very regular stopping. The Trident, still wearing classic beachball livery, performed well for its age and seemed in ok condition from a passenger's point of view, even if it is over a decade older than the four Enviro 400MMCs recently rebranded for the route. That said, while the high-back seats were comfortable, I do find they make the top deck feel a bit more 'penned in' and they do block some of the view for shorter adults if sat further back along the bus.

With half an hour to kill, I popped in to the Watercress Line heritage railway line's station to have a nosey. The 67 doesn't serve the main centre of Alresford as there's nowhere it could really turn to head back west, so it departs a short walk around the corner from the high street. The next 64 was due in Alresford at the same time as my 67 was due to depart, and with the 67 offering just a handful of journeys per day, the resulting three hour wait for the next one would've put a bit of a dampener on the day(!) The tracker showed the 67 as running around ten minutes late and then not moving, making me fear it had broken down on the outskirts of Winchester. I was therefore rather surprised when it pulled up bang on time! Looking at BusTimes now, it appears something must've gone amiss because at 1111 it is shown just off the Atlantic coast of western France... This was another vehicle still wearing classic beach ball livery and had a very friendly young driver at the helm. I've covered this route - full length from Petersfield to Winchester - in a previous report during the school holidays, but that was on a single deck. While that gave a better sense of how tight some of these roads are as you are on the same level as the driver, the top deck offered during term time gives a great view over the hedgerows in this attractive area through the village of Cheriton and past the Hinton Ampner National Trust property. The Meon Valley Trail starts around ten minutes walk from The Thomas Lord bus stop.

After around 3.5hrs gentle stroll along the eleven mile stretch of old railway line, I arrived in Wickham with around 40 minutes until my next bus on the hourly route 69 between Fareham and Winchester. Having worked up a bit of an appetite, I popped into The King's Head Fuller's pub for a pint and (unexpectedly large!) sandwich. It was only after happening to choose to sit by the window by chance, and several minutes passing, that I noticed one item of decoration above my head - an old local bus blind! My next bus happened to be my first bus, with the ALX400-bodied Trident I travelled to Alresford on this morning arriving to take me up to Winchester. The bus stop is located alongside the attractive town square, albeit surrounded by cars these days. Bagging the same offside upstairs seat that I travelled in earlier, I found this to be a very interesting route zigzagging between various settlements along the way. This journey seemed to attract several school flows along the way, even if some only seemed to consist of a handful of students, but also carried its fair share of adult fare paying passengers as well. I believe this hourly commercial cross-country route is the prime reason for the continued operation of the small 5-disc outstation near Botley railway station (with newish route 49/49h I believe also operating from there now). As the journey progressed, school run traffic saw us gradually lose time to a point of around eight minutes delay. By Winchester city centre we were down to five minutes delay, where we were kicked off at The Arc at 1634 - due approx 1629 - as the driver said he needed to go to Peter Symonds College to do a school run (BusTimes suggests this was the 1648 Peter Symonds College to Alton X64, with the bus then spending the night at the Farringdon outstation near Alton). What should've been a 15 minute connection near Winchester Bus Station therefore became a 10 minute walk right across the town navigated by my smartphone.

I made my 64, which I found boarding on Stand 7 instead of vacant Stand 5, hidden behind another vehicle that was stopped on Stand 6. Like my earlier 64, this was also not one of the newly branded deckers. This was a single deck Enviro 300 which was uncomfortably full - any rattly - for most of the journey, with a large number of those alighting along the way getting replaced by boarding passengers. It was also very stuffy, with most of the windows closed and the one nearest me seemingly wedged shut. A most unenjoyable journey, which appears to have been single deck the few days prior too. Like my 69's vehicle, this bus also appears to have ended its day at the Farringdon outstation judging by the BusTimes tracking.

View attachment 144358

View attachment 144359

View attachment 144360
Very nice report and I feel very lazy for not incorporating a bit of walking in my trips out...well, I do a bit but not West Meon to Wickham. Looks lovely; cycled in the area around Alresford and Winchester but not round there (but maybe I should do). Those photos do look inviting! Been to Wickham a couple of times in the car (as well as passing through on the 69) and it's a lovely spot. Seem to recall that it was one of those boundary points between Hants & Dorset and Southdown many moons ago, though the latter had shed there.

As for conveyances on the day... best described as mature or pre-enjoyed. Thanks for sharing.

**** NEW REPORT ****

An unexpected opportunity for a trip out availed itself, and it was to somewhere so relatively near and yet so far. I've been to the Isle of Wight twice, and enjoyed the delights of Southern Vectis (SV) on each occasion but have neglected to record them so it was time to sort that. For the uninitiated, I really do recommend a trip to the IOW - it has a slight feel of yesteryear and a place apart but that is its charm. Hope you enjoy.

My journey across was via the fast catamaran from Portsmouth, and I arrived into Ryde in the evening. Ryde is the second town on the island and it being a nice evening, I wandered along the promenade from the quay rather than get the train (which I now regret). At the other end is Ryde Interchange where bus, rail and hovercraft converge! SV issue day tickets on a 24 hour basis (and multiples) and so I purchased my 24 hour version and headed for my bed in Newport, the main town on the island on the main trunk 9 service. Three women were talking excitedly about their lives - all quite salacious - as we headed to Newport on a standard e400, me to sleep and them to dance. BTW, if you want a massively diverse fleet, SV isn't the one for you.

1696926555683.png
SV standardisation

I got up early and walked the short distance to Newport bus station. This was redeveloped about 20 years ago (?) and is the main hub for SV services. I waited in the early morning light before my first bus of the day arrived. It was the 5 to East Cowes that heads on the Ryde road. It was a glorious morning, spotting a hard working barn owl flying across a field as we headed across open country towards Osborne House, former home of Queen Victoria. The journey was fairly quiet (as you might expect) save for a family of mum, son and two daughters heading for the Red Funnel ferry to Southampton and then further north to meet an estranged father. Clearly, you can't travel on an SV bus without hearing someone's life story! We duly arrived, they headed to the ferry terminal whilst I walked to the chain ferry/floating bridge that links the town's two halves. The chain ferry is now a cash free enterprise and takes about 5 mins to make the crossing and a few joined me. It was then a brisk walk through the usually busy streets and to the Carver Lane terminus. Last time I visited, MPDs still ran via the archway to the RedJet terminal in Cowes but nowadays, they stop short and have the usual deckers allocated. Except my steed wasn't a regular decker but one of a number of ex London Dennis Tridents fitted with Optare bodies. They are straight out of service, with mine still showing its Sutton depot code! We had a few passengers even at 7am on a Saturday and our driver made quick time as we headed past the various prisons back to Newport. I had time for breakfast, check out the hotel, the appointment (the reason for being on the island) and then back to Newport bus station. Duties done, I had about 5 hours to enjoy some more travelling.

1696926063677.png
The Hammerhead crane at Cowes
1696926114051.png
The Red Funnel arrives at East Cowes - taken from the chain ferry
1696926207033.png
Morning at Cowes Harbour
1696926232272.png
The pride of Sutton at Cowes

Next up was the infrequent 6 to Ventnor that heads across the interior of the island, finally reaching the coast near Niton and the Blackgang Chine attraction. It was a lovely run out as we climbed out of Newport and past a ploughing match (!). Oddly, we reached the village of Chale where we simply stopped. I did wonder if it was a mechanical but the lady driver started the e400 back up and we headed off but we never did regain the time that we stopped. The bus meanders its way from Blackgang and a loop of Buddle Inn, and eventually we descended into Ventnor where I saw my connecting bus just leaving. Instead of a trip to Godshill, I decided to simply hop along the coast but it gave me time to wander around, aided by the excellent timetable booklet that I'd picked up in my hotel. The former Ventnor depot is still in situ and derelict, and around the corner is the site of the former bus station that closed probably 35 years ago and now has flats on it.

1696926309304.png
Former Ventnor depot

My next bus was the 3 to Shanklin, and now we moved onto e400mmcs for the rest of the day. Thankfully, this had fully working USBs so I was able to charge my phone as the previous one's ports didn't work; that journey was the only issue I had with SV. It's a good operation and we headed out to Shanklin with the sun out and the scenery gorgeous as we clambered out of Ventnor. Shanklin was another place that used to have an SV depot and bus station, with a massive site on Carter Avenue now occupied by the Coop store. You can see why they sold it off and that was in 1984! I didn't have time to explore as I needed to eat now, and a snack in a cafe allowed me to catch the 2 to Sandown. To be fair, there's not much between the two places and I got off in Sandown for an explore. Sadly, the town is quite depressed though the beach is lovely. I'm surprised it hasn't been developed more but that's the thing - the Isle of Wight isn't as affluent as you might think. Work is seasonal and there's a lot of dereliction in the towns amongst the chocolate box villages.

1696926353665.png
The cafe where I lunched and my next bus from Shanklin to Sandown
1696926410952.png

The beach at Sandown

Last bus was another mmc and a trip back into Ryde before I made my way back to Portsmouth. Hope you enjoyed this overseas trip and I would definitely like to go back again to do the open top Breezer routes; done the Needles one but a trip along the military road is a glaring omission. Anyhow, hope you enjoyed the read and it prompts you to experience one of the better operators in the country.

1696926471570.png
Heading back to the Catamaran and seeing the Hovercraft still heading from Ryde to Southsea

Last edited:

RELL6L

Very nice report and I feel very lazy for not incorporating a bit of walking in my trips out...well, I do a bit but not West Meon to Wickham. Looks lovely; cycled in the area around Alresford and Winchester but not round there (but maybe I should do). Those photos do look inviting! Been to Wickham a couple of times in the car (as well as passing through on the 69) and it's a lovely spot. Seem to recall that it was one of those boundary points between Hants & Dorset and Southdown many moons ago, though the latter had shed there.

As for conveyances on the day... best described as mature or pre-enjoyed. Thanks for sharing.

**** NEW REPORT ****

An unexpected opportunity for a trip out availed itself, and it was to somewhere so relatively near and yet so far. I've been to the Isle of Wight twice, and enjoyed the delights of Southern Vectis (SV) on each occasion but have neglected to record them so it was time to sort that. For the uninitiated, I really do recommend a trip to the IOW - it has a slight feel of yesteryear and a place apart but that is its charm. Hope you enjoy.

My journey across was via the fast catamaran from Portsmouth, and I arrived into Ryde in the evening. Ryde is the second town on the island and it being a nice evening, I wandered along the promenade from the quay rather than get the train (which I now regret). At the other end is Ryde Interchange where bus, rail and hovercraft converge! SV issue day tickets on a 24 hour basis (and multiples) and so I purchased my 24 hour version and headed for my bed in Newport, the main town on the island on the main trunk 9 service. Three women were talking excitedly about their lives - all quite salacious - as we headed to Newport on a standard e400, me to sleep and them to dance. BTW, if you want a massively diverse fleet, SV isn't the one for you.

SV standardisation

I got up early and walked the short distance to Newport bus station. This was redeveloped about 20 years ago (?) and is the main hub for SV services. I waited in the early morning light before my first bus of the day arrived. It was the 5 to East Cowes that heads on the Ryde road. It was a glorious morning, spotting a hard working barn owl flying across a field as we headed across open country towards Osborne House, former home of Queen Victoria. The journey was fairly quiet (as you might expect) save for a family of mum, son and two daughters heading for the Red Funnel ferry to Southampton and then further north to meet an estranged father. Clearly, you can't travel on an SV bus without hearing someone's life story! We duly arrived, they headed to the ferry terminal whilst I walked to the chain ferry/floating bridge that links the town's two halves. The chain ferry is now a cash free enterprise and takes about 5 mins to make the crossing and a few joined me. It was then a brisk walk through the usually busy streets and to the Carver Lane terminus. Last time I visited, MPDs still ran via the archway to the RedJet terminal in Cowes but nowadays, they stop short and have the usual deckers allocated. Except my steed wasn't a regular decker but one of a number of ex London Dennis Tridents fitted with Optare bodies. They are straight out of service, with mine still showing its Sutton depot code! We had a few passengers even at 7am on a Saturday and our driver made quick time as we headed past the various prisons back to Newport. I had time for breakfast, check out the hotel, the appointment (the reason for being on the island) and then back to Newport bus station. Duties done, I had about 5 hours to enjoy some more travelling.

The Hammerhead crane at Cowes

The Red Funnel arrives at East Cowes - taken from the chain ferry

Morning at Cowes Harbour

The pride of Sutton at Cowes

Next up was the infrequent 6 to Ventnor that heads across the interior of the island, finally reaching the coast near Niton and the Blackgang Chine attraction. It was a lovely run out as we climbed out of Newport and past a ploughing match (!). Oddly, we reached the village of Chale where we simply stopped. I did wonder if it was a mechanical but the lady driver started the e400 back up and we headed off but we never did regain the time that we stopped. The bus meanders its way from Blackgang and a loop of Buddle Inn, and eventually we descended into Ventnor where I saw my connecting bus just leaving. Instead of a trip to Godshill, I decided to simply hop along the coast but it gave me time to wander around, aided by the excellent timetable booklet that I'd picked up in my hotel. The former Ventnor depot is still in situ and derelict, and around the corner is the site of the former bus station that closed probably 35 years ago and now has flats on it.

Former Ventnor depot

My next bus was the 3 to Shanklin, and now we moved onto e400mmcs for the rest of the day. Thankfully, this had fully working USBs so I was able to charge my phone as the previous one's ports didn't work; that journey was the only issue I had with SV. It's a good operation and we headed out to Shanklin with the sun out and the scenery gorgeous as we clambered out of Ventnor. Shanklin was another place that used to have an SV depot and bus station, with a massive site on Carter Avenue now occupied by the Coop store. You can see why they sold it off and that was in 1984! I didn't have time to explore as I needed to eat now, and a snack in a cafe allowed me to catch the 2 to Sandown. To be fair, there's not much between the two places and I got off in Sandown for an explore. Sadly, the town is quite depressed though the beach is lovely. I'm surprised it hasn't been developed more but that's the thing - the Isle of Wight isn't as affluent as you might think. Work is seasonal and there's a lot of dereliction in the towns amongst the chocolate box villages.

The cafe where I lunched and my next bus from Shanklin to Sandown

The beach at Sandown

Last bus was another mmc and a trip back into Ryde before I made my way back to Portsmouth. Hope you enjoyed this overseas trip and I would definitely like to go back again to do the open top Breezer routes; done the Needles one but a trip along the military road is a glaring omission. Anyhow, hope you enjoyed the read and it prompts you to experience one of the better operators in the country.

Heading back to the Catamaran and seeing the Hovercraft still heading from Ryde to Southsea
Great trip and interesting report. I think the Southern Vectis fleet has always been relatively standard, from Bristol/ECW in the good old days through a period with quite a few Citaros to the standard fare of today. Some of the island is definitely scenic, particularly parts of the interior and some of the coastal towns. I did a day trip via Southampton-Cowes in 2017 and incorporated Newport, Yarmouth and the Needles Breezer before returning to Carisbrooke and then doing the same loop as you to Ventnor, Sandown and Ryde then to East Cowes and across the old chain ferry to Cowes. I agree that Ventnor is particularly delightful, the 6 and 12 in the south west quarter of the island are two of the few routes which do not operate at least hourly. It would have been a good day to be travelling last Saturday - lovely day. I thought about going yesterday but decided the forecast was a bit too cloudy - hopefully still time for a little more this year.

Excellent way to focus a trip on a specific walk you plan to do and fit something interesting bus-wise around this. I have done a handful with walks but never more than about one hour walking (such as Croyde to Woolacombe) or a decent stretch of canal. Deal to Dover would definitely be too much for me!
Your report shows Stagecoach still run some pretty old buses on front line service and keep them in good condition. It seems a bit random to run an E300 on a peak journey out of Winchester on the 64!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Another self indulgent post but hope folk find it interesting. With a day off, I decided to explore an area know fairly well but hadn't visited for a bit. 1994 was my first visit to Gloucestershire and Stagecoach had just bought Western Travel. The 2000s saw a few visits as the stripes took hold and then from the mid 2000s, I've lived near Bristol so explored a bit. In that time, Stagecoach has done a really good job at developing the services though they've never seemingly cracked the Forest of Dean. However, reading on other accounts, it seemed that some of the lustre had worn off Stagecoach so thought it worth an explore.

The day began in Dursley, which is a super little town nestling between the M5 and the Cotswolds. This was once border territory where First and Stagecoach met but now its mainly Stagecoach with a few runs to Dursley by Applegates. Stagecoach appear to have moved out most of their services from the small bus station NOTE: Gloucestershire is excellent for connoisseurs of small, crap bus stations! I had time for a cuppa before my first machine, which being Stagecoach would be an enviro 200 for Gloucester. This used to be a service that would cross the M5 and bomb up the A38. It now serves Stonehouse so the former 48 min run to Gloucester now takes 1h03. I understand the need to maximise patronage but it is so slow, especially as it forms part of the local service via Quedgley. I arrived into Gloucester and took the time to have an explore of the city centre. It seemed a bit quiet (for a Monday) and interesting to see the former Debenhams being converted into the city campus for the university. This is a great idea - you need to get people into the centre and if online shopping is killing the high street, get other people in there!

1698418933822.png
Quiet in Gloucester city centre

1698419017393.png

The relatively modern interchange - across the road from the station

I wandered back to the bus station. This is a massive improvement on the old one though it's a little small, the retail unit is closed, and they've gone for the window affair rather than a travel shop, and the window isn't always staffed! I had choices for my next trip but I went for an old favourite in the 22 to Cinderford. This was the old 31 that the A48 past the Severn Bore pub and then heading up into the Forest. It was one of the 10 year old e400s that Stagecoach upgraded the Forest routes with in 2013, still plying its trade and doing a good job even if the paintwork looked very faded. Cosmetics aside, it's a great run as you climb from Littledean and can look over your shoulder to see the Severn Estuary. Cinderford is a curious town - not ugly but not attractive. I grabbed lunch at a cafe opposite the bus station; this is even more rubbish than Dursley being a single bus shelter and some parking though I guess it was a sop to the planners when the former combined bus station and depot for redeveloped in the late 1980s.

1698419123766.png
Cinderford bus station - the Tesco behind is built on the former National Welsh depot and bus station

Then things got bad. My next bus was the infrequent 746 to Ross on Wye. On passenger was on board, talking to the driver who he clearly knew. Another chap cheerily enquired as to the destination and then when off to sit in the bus shelter before returning and paying his fare before sitting just across the aisle from me on our ex Stockport e200. However, his cheery demeanour changed as he then loudly began talking with himself. The driver and his friend probably couldn't hear what I could - a 30 min rambling rant against how the authorities a) just wanting to control you via vaccines b) are looking to increase immigration so that they undermine the local indigenous population and make them easier to control, and c) are also corrupting the education system in order to further embed their autocratic tendencies. I tried to zone out, or put my hands on my head so my biceps covered my ears. I could've told the the guy to shut up with his crank theories - you'd think that it was some harmless bus loony of Jasper Carrott fame but he was really objectionable, unhinged and I considered that intervention might not have been the safest approach. Yet, when he got up to leave, he was charm personified to the driver as he clarified where the bus would stop.

That aside, the scenery was beautiful and I had it to myself as the crank and the other 2 passengers (located towards the front of the bus) got off before Lydbrook. Great views along the river and across to Goodrich Castle before doing a small local loop in Ross on Wye. Ross is a lovely beautiful and historic town and I had time to wander about whilst slurping a coffee and buy my wife a birthday present. The buses congregate on Cantilupe Road where Stagecoach used to maintain an office for their locally based drivers but now vacant after they closed the depot (last year?). My next bus was a yellow liveried e400 on the Hereford to Gloucester service, newly repainted and refurbished with the blue/grey vinyl. It was another super run as we headed south past the former depot (nearly) and into rolling rich countryside. The e400 belied its 12 years and was very tidy though. It may have to last as the Gloucs fleet is now looking a little old.

1698419372071.png
My e400 from Ross to Gloucs - the blue shop on the left is the downstairs of the former Stagecoach office
1698419423523.png
Something for @Citistar - my e200 from Cinderford with a former Citistar Solo now with Nick Maddy Coaches
1698419506192.png
Ross on Wye Market Place

We arrived on time back to Gloucester and then I had options. I could wait for a direct bus back to Dursley but I decided to take another e400 to Stroud. This was the sister vehicle to the one I'd just left, but unrepainted and unrefurbished. There are a few routes linking Gloucester and Stroud but this was the fast one; it was slowed however by a large number of school kids in Tuffley (the timetable does reflect that TBH) and so had a fairly full load. In contrast to my Forest crank, behind me were a group of 5/6 retired guys, very middle class who'd been out for a ramble. One was chatting and casually mentioned he'd been made an honourary police chief in San Francisco....which was nice! The run to Stroud was also lovely and I had time to then explore this town. For the uninitiated, Stroud is one of those alternative, bohemian towns that is a bit like Glastonbury. However, it's not fully dedicated to Himalayan crystals and reiki therapy with lots of local and national shops. It's actually quite nice as you enter the main part of the town behind the shopping centre built on the old bus station, with time for a good explore.

1698419671477.png

Downtown Stroud
1698419811001.png
My busy e200 loading for Dursley

It was then back to the Merrywalks bus stops and a reunion with the e200 on which I'd started the day. This is the 65 to Dursley and I don't think I'd done it before and I was surprised to see healthy loadings. It's a cracker of a journey. You exit Stroud and after passing the Sainsbury's, it's a punishing climb up a narrow road as you exit the valley. As you near the summit, there's views across the valleys of the area, and then the open heath of Nympsfield Common. There was then a thrash along the open road with tantalising glimpses of the River Severn glistening in the setting sun through the hedges and foliage. We then descended down into the Cotswold village of Uley and then into Dursley after a very speedy run.

Observations... well, everything ran as it was supposed to. Given the problems that Stagecoach has had, that was reassuring. Loadings were patchy - the 746 had token numbers which I expected by the 22 wasn't much better. The fleet is highly standardised so it was either a Scania e400 or a standard e200. I still don't like the 2020 Stagecoach liveries but some of the fleet do not repaints. Overall, a bit sad about some routes (like the long 65 journey into Gloucester) and the decline of more Forest routes but a lovely day out in the sun.

padbus

Domestic circumstance mean I am rarely able to undertake epic excursions like those reported by @RELL6L and @TheGrandWazoo. However, I recently managed to grab a morning to myself during a family visit to Cambridge. This report is, therefore, limited in scope but I hope it will still be of interest.

By 08:30 on Friday 8 September I am at the Histon Road Corner bus stop on Histon Road, Cambridge, in good time to catch Stagecoach service A, which the bustimes.org all-stops timetable suggests will arrive at about 08:40. However, there is a notice on the stop saying that, from 3 September 2023, service A no longer stops here. I know that the previous stop is opposite County Hall so, working on the basis that it will surely stop there, I walk quickly to it and arrive with 2 minutes to spare.

The bus arrives as predicted and is Stagecoach 21229 (AE09 GYZ) Volvo B7RLE/Wright Eclipse Urban on route A (Trumpington Park & Ride – St Ives). At this time of day on an outbound journey there are very few passengers on board. Histon Road is typical of many radial roads out of cities and is mainly residential with some pockets of retail and commercial use. A passenger rings the bell to alight and bus stops to allow her to do so which allows another passenger to board. Traffic is light and we are soon at the outskirts of the city close to the A14 junction. Here we turn off the main road and join a branch of the busway, the first few metres of which are guided to allow the bus to pass over the car trap – a pit in the road which is narrow enough to allow a guided bus to pass but wide enough to violently stop any car. The rest of this section is unguided and appears to have been made of concrete poured on site rather than the pre-fabricated beams used on the guided sections. As a result, it gives a noticeably rough ride. The busway runs alongside Kings Hedges Road which skirts the Orchard Park housing development. Roads leading into the housing cross the busway and we are held up by the traffic lights at each one. Bus stops along the way were obviously built to a high standard but now look a little careworn with some out-of-date information. We soon arrive at a T-junction where we turn left on to the main track of the busway. Once the bus has engaged the guideway we rapidly accelerate to, I would estimate, about 50 MPH with the driver sitting with her arms folded. The ride is smooth and quiet, the coach type seats are very comfortable and the aircon is very welcome on one of the hottest days of the year. All in all, it is a great contrast to the Enviro 200s I am used to in Exeter. We pick up and set down a few passengers along the way but much of the busway is rural with few stops. We pass a junction which had been installed when the busway was first built but it is still not in use. Reaching St Ives, the busway crosses the main road into the town and then just finishes and becomes an ordinary road where our progress is impeded by parked cars and oncoming traffic (despite the road being a dead-end except for guided buses). The bus pulls into St Ives bus station at about 09:10. I alight and bus departs to loop round the town before returning to Cambridge. The bus station is small and tidy and is served by several operators besides Stagecoach including A2B, Dews and Vectare but is just a bit bleak with nothing much there. The town of St Ives, on the other hand, is delightful, especially the Old Riverport area, and well worth a visit. However, I had already visited the town with the family earlier in the week so there is no need to stay today. The passenger information display in the bus station shows I have about 15 minutes to wait before the next bus back to Cambridge. Buses to Cambridge do not use the bus station but pull up on the road outside. I join a small group of people waiting around by the shelter.
IMG_5760.jpg
St Ives

IMG_5900.jpg
The low key start of the busway at St Ives showing the car trap

At 09:25 Stagecoach 13903 (BU69 XYD), a tri-axle Volvo B8L with ADL Enviro 400XLB body arrives on Route B (Hinchingbrooke – Cambridge), which is exactly the sort of bus I am hoping for. We all climb aboard with ENCTS bus passes being accepted despite being before 09:30. We are soon on our way and back on the busway. I decide to risk the greenhouse effect of the large E400 windscreen and sit in the front nearside seat. It turns out to be not too hot and there is cool air wafting about, possibly from what looks like an air chiller over the stairs. It maybe because I am sitting right at the front, but the ride seems bouncier than on the single decker where I had sat over the rear axle. We retrace the outward route as far as the Orchard Park junction where we continue straight on. This bus, heading into the city, is busier than my outward journey with passengers at most stops. This part of the busway serves a regional college and Cambridge Science Park before crossing Milton Road to reach Cambridge North station using a newish stretch of busway which is part guided and ends in a turning circle. Here we turn round and return to Milton Road to head towards the city centre. This road is undergoing major reconstruction to install cycleways, so progress is slow. We pass a sign telling drivers not to overtake cyclists and are then stopped by some temporary traffic lights. The road ahead is two way and, in the distance, traffic heading towards us is also stopped. Eventually and we move off, as does the traffic coming towards us. It all seems very odd. We eventually arrive at New Square on the edge of central Cambridge where I alight, leaving the bus to continue its journey round the corner to Drummer Street Bus Station.

IMG_5914.jpg
On the busway near Oakington

IMG_5917.jpg
Busway at Histon

IMG_5920.jpg
Cambridge North

I am sure the delights of central Cambridge are well known so I won’t go in to detail here. Suffice to say, several days are needed to do it justice. New Square was new in the early 19th century and has elegant houses overlooking a large grass square. Opposite the bus stop is Christ’s Pieces, a much larger open space. The whole area is a pleasant place to photograph the steady stream of buses passing through whilst I wait about 15 minutes for my next bus. Stagecoach in Cambridge is a very different fleet to elsewhere in the country with a high proportion of Volvo buses and very few buses in either “beachball” or “local” liveries. Most are in variations of pale green, with the electric Volvo BZL park & ride double deckers in dark green and white and some older buses still in their various different coloured park & ride liveries.

IMG_5923.jpg
New Square, Cambridge with Stagecoach BYD/ADL E400EV

My next bus is 21229, which was the bus I started out on this morning. Having looped round St Ives, it has returned along the busway, still on route A but this time heading for Trumpington Park & Ride. We negotiate narrow streets to get as close as possible to the largely pedestrianised city centre and then head out of town to Cambridge Station. The area around the station has been very much rebuilt in the last few years and provides a very modern gateway to the city and is a great contrast to the historic core. The southern section of the busway starts right by the station. It is an initially unguided and passes under a low bridge which is not high enough for double deckers. Despite very explicit busway signage, we come up behind a cyclist but, fortunately, we are able to pass her before the guideway starts. There is a cycleway/footpath alongside most of the length of the busway with no physical barrier between them. On this section of the busway, it is alongside the inbound guideway and has proved to be too narrow for the number of cyclists and pedestrians using it. Following several tragic accidents where cyclists have fallen onto the busway in front of buses (which cannot swerve out of the way) a fence has been erected alongside the cycleway. However, to do so, the busway has had to be closed so that the fence may be built on it. Thus, the fence protects cyclists from buses which are not there. A quick internet search suggests the local authority has budgeted nearly £3m to resolve the problem. This does not affect us as we are travelling outbound and we make good progress through urban surroundings. We take a branch off the busway to Addenbrookes Hospital. It is still guided as we climb up and over the railway to enter the hospital site. At the end of the guideway, we take a short stretch of bus-only road controlled by rising bollards. The bus takes a loop through the site serving several stops along the way before arriving back at the busway. We rejoin the main track, which is now open in both directions, until we come to a single-track section controlled by traffic lights. This does not hold us up and we are soon at the Trumpington Park & Ride site. I alight and take the opportunity to use the facilities in the rather grand “terminal” building and then photograph the buses on several routes that are waiting in the layover bays.

IMG_5933.jpg
Fenced off and closed busway near Cambridge Station

IMG_5938.jpg
Trumpington Park & Ride with Stagecoach Volvo BZL/MCV

The next stage of my plan is to return to Addenbrookes, so I take the next service A which is Stagecoach 21368 (BU69 XXF), a Volvo B8RLE with MCV Evora bodywork. This makes a change from the Wright body and, so far as I am concerned, is just as good. The bus departs promptly but is immediately held up by the traffic lights controlling the single-track section of busway. We wait for some time before they turn green without any bus having come the other way. As we join the busway branch to Addenbrookes, we come up behind a Whippet bus which takes a different way to us at the end of the guideway. We take the same route round the hospital as before. When we reach Outpatients, there is a Whippet bus on the stop in front of us. Whether it is the same bus we had followed earlier, I don’t know. Anyway, it is the bus I now want to travel on, so I get off Stagecoach and quickly board Whippet. The bus is WG115 (MX23 LRO), a Mellor Sigma 12 and is one of a fleet of 9 of these electric single deckers which are all equipped with guidewheels, which must be something of a first. All are finished is a dedicated blue livery for route U (Universal) which is funded by the University to travel a slightly meandering route which runs every 15 minutes between Addenbrookes in the south via various university sites to terminate at the new town of Eddington in the north. The ride is as smooth and quiet as would be expected from an electric bus but there is an irritating squeak which appears to be coming from the emergency door. The bus is equipped to a high specification with really cold aircon and hi-tech seat backs incorporating a bell push as well as USB, USB-C and wireless charging facilities. Because of the closure of the busway as described above, the bus has to use ordinary roads but we are soon back at Cambridge Station where quite a few people board for the city centre. The bus takes a different route to service A back to the city centre but I alight at Silver Street bridge opposite Queens College on time at 11:50.

IMG_5949.jpg
Silver Street in Cambridge city centre with Whippet Mellor Sigma 12.

I meet up with my wife and daughter for lunch and to continue our exploration of Cambridge. By late afternoon we are ready to return to our holiday accommodation and I manage to persuade my wife and daughter to catch a bus which is handily waiting at a nearby bus stop. This is Stagecoach 84034 (LF69 UXO), a BYD D8UR-DD with ADL Enviro 400EV bodywork on route 6 (Cambridge-Oakington). This is one of only 2 such buses in the fleet and I enjoyed the short ride, though I don’t think my family were greatly impressed.

Cambridge is a city which has done a lot to discourage car use. There is an extensive network of cycleways across the city and it is evident that, even outside university term time, cycling is very popular. The city centre is largely closed to motor vehicles but the number of cyclists and e-scooter users mean that it is not entirely safe for pedestrians. As well as the busway, there are park & ride sites on the main roads into the city and these enjoy a frequent service of electric buses with each route having different coloured LED destination displays. I enjoyed my stay in Cambridge and have now travelled the full length of the world’s two longest kerb guided busways.

ChrisC

Established Member

I’ve only just seen your report about your trip to the Isle of Wight and really enjoyed reading it. I had a week staying in Portsmouth at the beginning of this month. The main purpose of the visit was to have at least a couple of days visiting the attractions of the Historic Dockyard. However on 4th October, a lovely warm sunny day, I had a day over on the Isle of Wight.

The main reason for my visit to the Isle of Wight was because I had relatives who lived there for over 20 years in the 1970’s and 1980”s. I spent many of my summer holidays there when I was in my teens but have not been back since. Therefore I went back to visit the area around Niton, where they used to live, for first time for nearly 50 years.

After getting off the catamaran at Ryde, and then walking down the pier, I got the number 3 bus to Ventnor. No Island Line trains on 4th October as there was a strike. I found the journey from Ryde as far as Shanklin very uninteresting and agree about the towns being very run down and depressed. It wasn’t how I had remembered it and felt more like a journey around some of the depressed ex mining areas nearer home in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. Things greatly improved on climbing the hill out of Shanklin and the journey from there to Ventnor with the views along the coast were fantastic on a clear sunny day.

Unfortunately I didn’t have much time in Ventnor as I had to get the infrequent number 6 to Niton. I wanted to get off at the Buddle Inn and have a walk down to Castle Haven Cove and a walk along the coast to St. Catherines Lighthouse. It’s a walk of less than 3 miles, but with quite a steep climb back up to the bus stop, and I had to do it in 2 hours if I was to catch the next number 6 bus on to Newport. The journey on the number 6 up the hill out of Ventnor and through Whitwell to Niton was just how I remembered the island and I soon forgot the depressed rundown seaside towns.

The route taken by the number 6 was not the route I had always taken back in the 1970’s and I was quite surprised that it only runs at best every 2 hours and that is now the only route serving Niton. Niton always used to have quite a variety of routes running through the village, especially in the summer months, when buses were quite frequent. My memories may not be completely accurate but from what I can remember there was a half hourly Ryde to Blackgang bus which roughly followed the current number 3 route from Ryde to Ventnor. It then ran between Ventnor and Niton along the coast along a winding main road called the Undercliff, a road which many years ago was closed following land slips. There was also an hourly, summer only bus, from Shanklin to Freshwater which ran through Niton. This ran the current number 6 route from Ventnor through Whitwell and then on to Blackgang before continuing along the coast road to Freshwater. In addition there were also two less frequent routes from Niton to Newport but cant remember where they originated from. One ran the current number 6 route through Chale and the other ran north out of Niton serving villages to Newport.

Back to my day. I had a great time on my walk down to the coast from the Buddle Inn which brought back many memories. I even had time for a drink at the Buddle Inn before getting the bus on to Newport. I have to say that Niton and the whole area down towards the lighthouse had not really changed very much in 50 years. I can’t say the same for Newport which like many of the other towns I found quite depressed in comparison to how it used to be with so many closed down shops. I wanted to find somewhere to eat but I’m afraid as it was about 3pm there wasn’t much choice in Newport. I quickly got a number 1 bus up to Cowes which was much more vibrant with plenty of good eating places. I even managed to get a very good Isle of Wight dressed crab with salad and chips!

Then it was back to the ferry at Ryde via Newport, number 1 bus to Newport, then a 9 to Ryde. I‘m pleased I went. Good to see some parts as unspoilt as I remembered complete with chocolate box villages. Sad to see how run down some of the more urban areas have become and quite surprised how sparse the bus services now are to the south of the island.

IMG_5850.jpeg
St.Catherine’s Lighthouse. The most southerly point on the Isle of Wight.

IMG_5839.jpeg
The Buddle Inn south of Niton Village.

IMG_5854.jpeg
South Coast of Isle of Wight, near St. Catherine’s Point, looking west towards Blackgang.

IMG_5863.jpeg
Local dressed crab in a Cowes restaurant.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
First of all, thanks to @padbus and @ChrisC for sharing their experiences. It's good to see other people's trips out rather than just me and @RELL6L so you get a difference in perspective and style, as well as other places to explore and how you do it.

The IOW photos from @ChrisC look fantastic. Don't think I've ever posted a picture of my lunch but then again, I'd probably end up putting up a picture of pie, chips and gravy rather than something as tasty and healthy as that crab (which does look delicious). Glad you also enjoyed your time on the IOW and you (and @RELL6L) do make me feel guilty about not walking more on my trips out. As regards your travels, I was surprised how poorly served Blackgang Chine was for a summer service; I could understand in the cold winter months but summer schedules were still in force when I travelled. As regards the down at heel places, I thought Ventnor was ok but clearly needs a little bit of TLC, and same with Shanklin. It was Sandown that seemed to have lost its entire lifeblood and yes, very much like a former pit village in that feel. Of all the places I visited, Newport seemed the most vibrant oddly.

As regards @padbus adventures, I fully understand that we often don't have a full day to dedicate to travelling so we sometimes have to snatch what time we can. I have to thank you for some interesting photos though I think that the Histon photo is, in fact, Impington as it passes the old station by the Railway Vue pub. I don't know the area intimately but I have been in that pub a few times! I've enjoyed a few trips on the Busway and in 2022, did finally manage to have a trip on an XLB whilst tying it in to other services that I don't think Stagecoach now run.

However, I've not been on the new electric vehicles of either operator nor have I gone on the controversial and closed section of the Busway and I really should do that. I will say that I don't like the Stagecoach livery and those deckers aren't exactly attractive IMO. The Mellor vehicle looks ok (again subjective) and you really have piqued my interest in sampling those. That said, it'll have to wait til 2024.

Thanks again both :D

RELL6L

Great to see so many reports hit the thread especially when the weather seems to have been so unfriendly - people have found the best of it and three great reports, thank you all for posting.

@TheGrandWazoo has been round an area I know well and much love. Totally agree with your views on most places and operations and I am also very fond of Stroud, it has an atmosphere of being a slightly 'alternative' place - not as much as say Glastonbury but definitely with an attitude. I also like the canal which is currently disused there but may come back to life both here and further along the valley at Stonehouse. Ross is also lovely, Cinderford perhaps less so.

@padbus is well ahead of me on Cambridge, I visited twice in 2022 but I don't think there was anything electric then. Not sure I like the styling of the BZL deckers, they look a bit too rectangular - in fact most electric buses still look a bit contrived to fit the need for battery space. Utterly agree on the charm of St Ives and the photo could easily have been one of mine - a lovely spot.

@ChrisC sends another great report on the Isle of Wight and makes me want to revisit - if only for the crab! Lovely picture of the coast as well as some of the nicer places there. I have to say I really liked Ventnor when I visited, OK maybe it could do with a little TLC but it has character, more so than Shanklin or Sandown.

Keep travelling and posting - the variety of trips and perspectives makes this thread really interesting!

I thought I'd just add a slightly topical picture from a trip I made on 7 September 2021, this is taken from the AD122 between Haltwhistle and Hexham and shows the famous tree at Sycamore Gap.

2021-09-07 (201) Sycamore Gap.JPG

Last edited:

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Yesterday I decided to start the Three Castles Path - an approximate 60 mile route between Windsor and Winchester via Odiham. For my first leg I opted to do the approx 8 mile section between Windsor and Ascot. I caught the train to Ascot from where I caught the 1030 Heatherwood Hospital to Windsor journey on White Bus route 01. This operates to an uneven interval using two vehicles (these days usually MCV eVolution-bodied Volvo B8RLE 46-seaters SJ16 CRX/Z, fleet numbers 76/77). Due to the time I had between my train arriving and the bus, I walked from Ascot station up to Heatherwood Hospital and completed the whole route.

The bus departed on time with no other passengers on board, however as we passed through South Ascot, Sunninghill and Sunningdale we picked up a good load, with most continuing into Windsor. I'd estimate at its peak, the 46 seater was probably up to around 30-35 people. The majority appeared to be concessionary passes, this being the first post-0930 journey, with maybe a handful of fare payers among them. The first half of the route negotiates a series of tight turns and roads, passing some huge houses along the way, before venturing into Windsor Great Park for the second half. I believe this is the only bus route permitted into the park and it makes for a very pleasant journey and near Ascot Gate squeezes through a pair of tight gateposts. I noticed as we entered the park an interesting speed limit of 38mph applies.

The bus (CRZ which is in fleet livery of white with green squares at the rear) was in a clean presentable condition and fitted with seat belts, although I felt some seats were a bit of a squeeze making me glad I bagged the middle of the rear row of five. One of the hand rails in the rear nearside was loose and rattly, but otherwise it felt well put together from a passenger point of view. What really set this journey apart from most others I have been on lately was the smoothness of the drive. The driver didn't rush around corners, his braking was well planned to ensure smoothness, and without exception every passenger was seated before he moved off, including giving a wheelchair-bound passenger extra time to manoeuvre and secure themselves. We did lose around 8 minutes of time enroute, which I'm not sure if this was down to more passengers than usual or the driver's careful driving, but BusTimes.org tracking does seem to suggest it's not uncommon. The sister vehicle CRX was the other vehicle on the 01 and is all-over white. Sadly, White Bus are not part of the £2 single fare cap scheme, to which a statement about this is on display on board the bus, with the single adult fare being £4.50.

Part of my walk went back through the park, during which I saw both vehicles on further 01 journeys. The view from the King George III & His Horse statue gives an amazing view over the area, not just of Windsor and nearby Heathrow Airport but out over London itself as well. The Three Castles Path isn't signed, so I'd recommend acquiring a guide book.

Below are a few photos from the trip.

1.jpg
SJ16 CRZ passes us in Windsor Great Park on its way to Ascot through the back window

2.jpg
The bus I was on earlier, with same courteous driver, returning to Ascot on the 1340 Windsor to Ascot journey

3.jpg
A tight Gate near the Ascot Gate entrance to the park.

4.jpg
The view down The Long Walk from the King George III statue, with Windsor Castle in the centre

5.jpg
The King George III and his horse statue

01d-and

Hi All. My first , albeit brief report , so here we go. After an outpatients appointment at Kidderminster Hospital [Worcestershire], I had a bus journey to get back to Bromsgrove. I had missed the hourly Diamond 52 that goes through to Redditch by quite some time so I caught Finesse Travels 133 service to Droitwich Spa. This is a Monday,Wednesday and Friday only route which fits in nicely with their other stage service ,the 354 Droitwich to Redditch run which - not surprisingly - runs on a Tuesday and Thursday. Finesse use Optare Solo F22SSE on their stage work ,this previously carried the registration YN03ZWA until a few months ago. This vehicle was new to St Dunstans in Brighton along with similar YN03ZWB,both of which were designated 'dual purpose' , not sure what the guidelines are for these categories , the vehicle has reasonably padded seats [and curtains ] and I have seen it in use with a table fitted in one of the spaces for wheelchairs. Anyhow on to the trip , leaving on time with 5 of us onboard ,we leave Kidderminster on the A448 and head to Mustow Green island where many years ago , British Road Services had a depot. Then we pass through Harvington, Bluntington and Chaddesley Corbett without anyone leaving or joining. In Chaddesley we pass the 17c Talbot Inn which has sadly been closed for a number of years , it is a listed building which depending where you read is either going to reopen or become housing. Luckily - for fans of Bathams beers , the nearby Swan Inn is still going strong. We rejoin the A448 for a while before turning off and going out into the countryside again and through Rushock , again with nobody leaving or joining , after exiting the quaintly named Clattercut Lane we join the main Kidderminster to Droitwich road where one passenger joins us in the village of Cutnall Green which was the home of KCS Coaches up to 1998. Heading onto Droitwich and passing a number of trading estates we are a few minutes early , we pause to allow a E200 of Kev's on the 355 Worcester to Droitwich service pull out of a sideroad and we head onto Ombersley Street where the main bus stops are situated.Two other E200's are seen , one of Astons of Worcester and one of LMS of Worcester both of which are on Droitwich town services. A nice pleasant 40 minute run with 5 passengers travelling right through. Cheers.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks to @Flange Squeal and @01d-and for their reports. Always enjoy seeing where people have travelled, if only because it gives me a few ideas :D

The trip through Windsor Great Park is one of those "on the list" that I never get round to. Super photos especially from up on the hill and down The Long Walk. I have walked round there, and love the town itself. However, only ever been about 3 times so I have good reason to return.

As for Worcestershire, I am a bit more familiar with that. A nice bit of detail about the 133 - a sad testimony to the state of local buses is that I seem to recall that in Midland Red West days (25-30 years ago), the 133/4 ran about handful of times per day rather than per week.

RELL6L

Great to see the reports from Windsor Great Park and one of the rare remaining rural routes in Worcestershire. I have also never taken the long standing White Bus route through Windsor Great Park - definitely one I should be doing.

I have done the 133 from Droitwich, I actually alighted in Chaddesley Corbett - my sort of village - and continued to Kidderminster on the 52 shortly afterwards. From Kidderminster I continued to Kinver on the 580, also three times a week, but the only overlapping day with the 133 was Friday, so a Friday it was! Kinver is worth a visit as well, with the fabulous rock houses cut into the hillside. The 580 passes quite close to these although they are a bit of a walk from the main village and the 242 service to Stourbridge.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Great to see the reports from Windsor Great Park and one of the rare remaining rural routes in Worcestershire. I have also never taken the long standing White Bus route through Windsor Great Park - definitely one I should be doing.

I have done the 133 from Droitwich, I actually alighted in Chaddesley Corbett - my sort of village - and continued to Kidderminster on the 52 shortly afterwards. From Kidderminster I continued to Kinver on the 580, also three times a week, but the only overlapping day with the 133 was Friday, so a Friday it was! Kinver is worth a visit as well, with the fabulous rock houses cut into the hillside. The 580 passes quite close to these although they are a bit of a walk from the main village and the 242 service to Stourbridge.
You made me check my travelling, as I had vague recollections of doing that route. Turns out that I had a day out in July 2000 and started my day at Kidderminster and took the 134 to Bromsgrove on a Mercedes 609 mini of Midland Red West. Assume it was some variant of the 133?

Slightly off topic: That same day features a few other interesting journeys on the same day; after a couple of Lynxes to Redditch and Evesham, I had one of the last remaining Nationals (SOA658S - now preserved at Wythall) to Worcester. That was followed up by another rare beast on the 420 to Hereford; a 1982 Leopard that was severely damaged in 1984, losing its Willowbrook body and rebodied with a Plaxton Paramount. Finished the day with a Lance/Verde from Hereford to Kiddy - two hours of travelling through stunning countryside including Clee Hill

Now beginning to yearn for a trip out to Worcestershire :D though the network in the county is somewhat sparse nowadays

RELL6L

Not a proper trip report, sadly, but we have just come back from a week in East Anglia and I took a couple of Park and Ride trips- even with my wife – worth reporting on briefly.

First was into Norwich on the Konnectbus 501 from Thickthorn Park and Ride into Norwich last Friday. This runs every 20 minutes, which I think is insufficiently frequent for a turn-up-and-go park and ride service. We arrived around 10.30 and there were a decent number of people waiting as the bus arrived for the 10.35 departure. A 65-plate E400 arrived and loaded up for an uneventful journey into Norwich city centre. The route goes through the city centre and out the other side to another park and ride site so we stayed on to the stop by the cathedral, although the vast majority alighted at the bus station. After spending much of the day in the city we returned to the Castle Meadow stop at about 16.30, our return journey was running 8 minutes late but it was Friday afternoon and I didn’t think this was too bad. There is little recovery time and no obvious resilience built into the timetable apart from a sensible extra 10 minute gap at the end of the morning peak hour, just four vehicles shuttling back and forth along the route, but generally it seems to do OK. Several people boarded at the city centre stops but most again at the bus station. A reasonable load going back but not full. Slow along the A11 out of the city, no bus lanes, but not dreadful A negative point is that the last bus back from Norwich is just before 6pm, but there are other buses which stop there on service 8 during the evening. To really take cars off the road the service needs to be more frequent and run into at least the early evening. Konnectbus are a shadow of their former selves taking in the former Anglian with which they merged, but they run some decent commercial services out of the city to Dereham and Watton and other contracted services, including the park and ride, largely with reasonably modern double deckers. Overall good marks for this, but improvements could make it more attractive. Given that Norwich has an excellent outer ring road that goes nearly all the way round, and a middle ring road which covers the gap and keep traffic out of the city centre, Norwich is a city where a really good bus network could genuinely cut car use.

The second one was on Wednesday when we ventured into Cambridge on our way home, driving round the city to Trumpington park and ride as this was the best bet for heading home afterwards. Again we arrived about 10.30 and took the Stagecoach PR3 into the city. The car park is pretty large, it was no means full but there were plenty of cars parked. Like Norwich, parking is free. There was a bus at the stand and it started picking up on time for a 10.40 departure. I noticed that the next departure, at 10.50, was shown as cancelled – indeed a whole board was missing for the entire day. In Cambridge the services do not run across the city, they all terminate at city centre stops. This means a 50-minute circuit for the PR3, one bus missing meaning one journey in five cancelled. We loaded up and then the driver came round the bus offering city centre maps for visitors – a nice touch – we were visitors so we took one. I wondered then if the driver worked on the open top tour in the season. Going back downstairs there were more intending passengers and it was 10.48 when we actually left with a full load, 8 minutes late on a 10-minute frequency service is not good. The driver was then on his microphone for most of the journey with amusing and light hearted comments, welcoming us aboard flight 86006, some fairly cringing jokes and some interesting information – almost certain he either is or would like to be a tour guide. He seemed to relish not stopping to pick up passengers at the intermediate stops because we were full. Although the next trip was cancelled the bus for the journey after arrived at the car park stand just as we left. The bus was a 23-plate Volvo BZL double decker, my first trip on an electric decker. It seemed very quiet and smooth, I’m not sure my wife even noticed it was electric. We were only 2 minutes late arriving at the city centre, a stop in a back street, described as St Andrew’s Street (near), but actually in Downing Street – easy to remember! As we explored the city (well, the shops) I saw that all of the park and ride services were run by new BZL double deckers and many of the local routes run by buses in the green livery rather than the usual Stagecoach local colours.

After a trip to the theatre we emerged at 16.30 and headed back to Downing Street to take the bus home. A large throng around the bus stop, people queueing either side of the stop for this and other buses and also hovering around the stop, no clear signage and not well lit, I was only sure we were in the right place from having alighted there and my knowledge of all things bus. Looking at the map on BusTimes I could see there was one bus not far away and another one not too far behind that, one bus was still missing and the 18 minute scheduled journey to Trumpington was taking considerably longer. We didn’t actually have to wait too long for a bus, we got the 16.25 which left at 16.44. The traffic was bad, Regent Street busy, Lensbury Road solid and very slow due to Trumpington Road and the Fen Causeway being solid heading out of town and cars blocking the junctions here. There was a bus lane along part of Trumpington Road which made a considerable improvement to our progress but not along other parts and it was all quite slow. By the time we arrived at Trumpington our bus should have been on its next journey out of Cambridge, all four buses on the route were very late and it was clearly not good. Buses should leave central Cambridge every 10 minutes until 18.05, what we actually had was basically on time to 15.55, then 16.23, 16.44, 16.51, 17.17, 17.24, 17.40, 18.13, 18.30 and then every 20 minutes as planned, except no bus at 19.10. Most buses missed out one round trip, but not quite all at the same time. This doesn’t look unusual. I don’t know whether the fault lies with the local councils for not providing enough bus priority and letting an impossible contract or for Stagecoach in not meeting the contract obligations. There were seven journeys missed out of Cambridge in the evening peak hour and gaps including 21 mins, 26 mins and 33 mins. That is not the way to attract commuters to a park and ride service. At the very least the operation needs to be more flexible – if all the buses on the route are 30 minutes late then just keep going, don’t have them all drop back 20 minutes to be on time! Having used the Stagecoach service to Royston about a year earlier, just before it was withdrawn, I was pleased to see the Centrebus replacement service 26 at the park and ride, it had several passengers already aboard and another few people being picked up. This was also about 15 minutes late.

My conclusion was that the park and ride in Cambridge was well used because cars are made so unwelcome in the city centre there is no feasible alternative. But the service certainly isn’t attractive with the delays in the evening peak hours. Could do better!

Sorry – no pictures!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Not a proper trip report, sadly, but we have just come back from a week in East Anglia and I took a couple of Park and Ride trips- even with my wife – worth reporting on briefly.

First was into Norwich on the Konnectbus 501 from Thickthorn Park and Ride into Norwich last Friday. This runs every 20 minutes, which I think is insufficiently frequent for a turn-up-and-go park and ride service. We arrived around 10.30 and there were a decent number of people waiting as the bus arrived for the 10.35 departure. A 65-plate E400 arrived and loaded up for an uneventful journey into Norwich city centre. The route goes through the city centre and out the other side to another park and ride site so we stayed on to the stop by the cathedral, although the vast majority alighted at the bus station. After spending much of the day in the city we returned to the Castle Meadow stop at about 16.30, our return journey was running 8 minutes late but it was Friday afternoon and I didn’t think this was too bad. There is little recovery time and no obvious resilience built into the timetable apart from a sensible extra 10 minute gap at the end of the morning peak hour, just four vehicles shuttling back and forth along the route, but generally it seems to do OK. Several people boarded at the city centre stops but most again at the bus station. A reasonable load going back but not full. Slow along the A11 out of the city, no bus lanes, but not dreadful A negative point is that the last bus back from Norwich is just before 6pm, but there are other buses which stop there on service 8 during the evening. To really take cars off the road the service needs to be more frequent and run into at least the early evening. Konnectbus are a shadow of their former selves taking in the former Anglian with which they merged, but they run some decent commercial services out of the city to Dereham and Watton and other contracted services, including the park and ride, largely with reasonably modern double deckers. Overall good marks for this, but improvements could make it more attractive. Given that Norwich has an excellent outer ring road that goes nearly all the way round, and a middle ring road which covers the gap and keep traffic out of the city centre, Norwich is a city where a really good bus network could genuinely cut car use.

The second one was on Wednesday when we ventured into Cambridge on our way home, driving round the city to Trumpington park and ride as this was the best bet for heading home afterwards. Again we arrived about 10.30 and took the Stagecoach PR3 into the city. The car park is pretty large, it was no means full but there were plenty of cars parked. Like Norwich, parking is free. There was a bus at the stand and it started picking up on time for a 10.40 departure. I noticed that the next departure, at 10.50, was shown as cancelled – indeed a whole board was missing for the entire day. In Cambridge the services do not run across the city, they all terminate at city centre stops. This means a 50-minute circuit for the PR3, one bus missing meaning one journey in five cancelled. We loaded up and then the driver came round the bus offering city centre maps for visitors – a nice touch – we were visitors so we took one. I wondered then if the driver worked on the open top tour in the season. Going back downstairs there were more intending passengers and it was 10.48 when we actually left with a full load, 8 minutes late on a 10-minute frequency service is not good. The driver was then on his microphone for most of the journey with amusing and light hearted comments, welcoming us aboard flight 86006, some fairly cringing jokes and some interesting information – almost certain he either is or would like to be a tour guide. He seemed to relish not stopping to pick up passengers at the intermediate stops because we were full. Although the next trip was cancelled the bus for the journey after arrived at the car park stand just as we left. The bus was a 23-plate Volvo BZL double decker, my first trip on an electric decker. It seemed very quiet and smooth, I’m not sure my wife even noticed it was electric. We were only 2 minutes late arriving at the city centre, a stop in a back street, described as St Andrew’s Street (near), but actually in Downing Street – easy to remember! As we explored the city (well, the shops) I saw that all of the park and ride services were run by new BZL double deckers and many of the local routes run by buses in the green livery rather than the usual Stagecoach local colours.

After a trip to the theatre we emerged at 16.30 and headed back to Downing Street to take the bus home. A large throng around the bus stop, people queueing either side of the stop for this and other buses and also hovering around the stop, no clear signage and not well lit, I was only sure we were in the right place from having alighted there and my knowledge of all things bus. Looking at the map on BusTimes I could see there was one bus not far away and another one not too far behind that, one bus was still missing and the 18 minute scheduled journey to Trumpington was taking considerably longer. We didn’t actually have to wait too long for a bus, we got the 16.25 which left at 16.44. The traffic was bad, Regent Street busy, Lensbury Road solid and very slow due to Trumpington Road and the Fen Causeway being solid heading out of town and cars blocking the junctions here. There was a bus lane along part of Trumpington Road which made a considerable improvement to our progress but not along other parts and it was all quite slow. By the time we arrived at Trumpington our bus should have been on its next journey out of Cambridge, all four buses on the route were very late and it was clearly not good. Buses should leave central Cambridge every 10 minutes until 18.05, what we actually had was basically on time to 15.55, then 16.23, 16.44, 16.51, 17.17, 17.24, 17.40, 18.13, 18.30 and then every 20 minutes as planned, except no bus at 19.10. Most buses missed out one round trip, but not quite all at the same time. This doesn’t look unusual. I don’t know whether the fault lies with the local councils for not providing enough bus priority and letting an impossible contract or for Stagecoach in not meeting the contract obligations. There were seven journeys missed out of Cambridge in the evening peak hour and gaps including 21 mins, 26 mins and 33 mins. That is not the way to attract commuters to a park and ride service. At the very least the operation needs to be more flexible – if all the buses on the route are 30 minutes late then just keep going, don’t have them all drop back 20 minutes to be on time! Having used the Stagecoach service to Royston about a year earlier, just before it was withdrawn, I was pleased to see the Centrebus replacement service 26 at the park and ride, it had several passengers already aboard and another few people being picked up. This was also about 15 minutes late.

My conclusion was that the park and ride in Cambridge was well used because cars are made so unwelcome in the city centre there is no feasible alternative. But the service certainly isn’t attractive with the delays in the evening peak hours. Could do better!

Sorry – no pictures!
The ailing state of Park and Rides is perhaps a subject for a separate thread. I went past the now closed Sealand Road site in Chester and it looks rather forlorn. Some schemes have gone completely (Swindon, Worcester) and others aren't the flagship schemes they once were. Still, I thought Norwich and Cambridge would be faring a little better.

***** NEW TRIP *****

I didn't think it had been quite so long, but time gallops along. It had been FIVE years since I'd had a trip out in Greater Manchester but a good day on Friday and a social event meant I had good reason to explore. There were a few other things I fancied doing. One was to experience the new Bee Network and see what it was like. Secondly, and this was a strange anomaly in that whilst I've travelled on every other former NBC bus firm (as at dereg), I'd never been on what was a North Western service. Lastly, I wanted to revisit some old haunts from when I lived up there (which makes point 2 even more odd). Hence, after a night staying locally, it was an early start.

My first bus of the day was one of those interlopers into Bee Network territory. It was the first 34 from Leigh to St Helens and I got on at Lowton, just in BN territory. As expected, it was a decent Arriva Pulsar - reasonably turned out, having had a mid life refurb. I always think that the Pulsar is underrated by enthusiasts. This one took us smoothly towards Newton le Willows where the rebuilt station is a beacon in the dark. I can't recall the old station but it now looks smart with a bus interchange out the front where three of the six passengers disembarked. We then looped around NleW and Earlestown amassing passengers until the Pulsar arrived in St Helens with a healthy load. St Helens town centre, around the bus station, seems a bit tired and I don't know if regeneration is planned.

1701015198789.png
My early Pulsar
1701015269785.png
The former Ribble depot in Ormskirk
1701015358966.png
Deserted Ormskirk

Thankfully, I didn't have long to wait on a cold morning for my next bus. The 152 is a jointly supported Lancashire/Merseytravel route that goes from Merseyside to Merseyside via Lancashire, or St Helens to Southport via Ormskirk. St Helens and Newton le Willows always feel more Lancashire than Merseyside to me but I digress. On time, the 152 arrived - a rather compact 23 seat Optare Solo SR of HTL Buses with rock hard (urban 90-esque) seats, and we were nearly full. Dawn had broken and it was a lovely quite rural trip across the nether world of sodden fields near Rainford. According to Timetable World, this was once the Warrington to Southport service of Ribble, running every hour but now is a two hourly trundle on a tendered Solo! Still, the blue skies and bright sunshine allowed some delightful views across the Lancashire Plain towards Liverpool. We passed through Rainford and then reached Edge Hill University where most of the passengers disembarked. I continued on to Ormskirk where I was shocked to see the bus station had been redeveloped. Shocked only because it had seemed to be a timewarp of a place. However, the small toilet/cafe building had been flattened, new bus shelters and a general upgrade but all seemed a bit pointless (unless the building had been in bad shape?). I had time for a wander, the old Ribble depot/bus station is still there and the town itself is one of quiet affluence.

1701015619994.png
Ribble in Skem - apologies for the terrible light

1701016421085.png
Almost a caption contest - a slightly jarring bit of festivity in a subdued Skem

I then headed East and a pair of standard Arriva e400s from Southport on the trunk route to Wigan, allowing myself a breakfast stop in Skelmersdale. Now, I've been to Skem several times for work, but to the industrial areas. The 385 took me through Old Skem and then into the new town which was built to accommodate loads of Scousers when 1960s slum clearance was enacted. Hence, sitting in a cafe in Skem Concourse Shopping Centre, the local accent is Scouse not Lancashire (so the opposite of St Helens). I had a disappointing bacon sandwich, and then explored the shopping centre which was as depressing as you'll find. A clearer example of retail decline it is hard to get. The bus station there is a relic of the 1970s. Skem did have a Ribble/North Western/Arriva depot until 2011 (that had replaced Ormskirk) and I hadn't appreciated how few services there were other than the trunk Southport to Wigan corridor. A tendered route to Burscough (Preston Bus) and a tendered TrainLink service to Kirkby that seemed to get a few passengers. Ironically, it's operated by Ribble (still the legal entity for Stagecoach) whilst a Ribble liveried Daf of Arriva was there on training duties. The run to Wigan was quite busy and from the top deck, I had fine views across the vista.

We arrived into Bee Network territory and Wigan, arriving at the massive modern bus station. For some reason, TfGM do love a massive bus station. Wigan's is the most bonkers though I notice the area behind it is now being redeveloped. Having paid £2 fares so far, I was now able to buy my £5 Bee AnyBus ticket, which is exceptional value. My steed was to be the 575 to Bolton, with a nearly brand new e200mmc with that new bus smell still evident. Sadly, what also became evident was the ADL build quality - there was a rattle from the offside that, I think, related to the panel by the window just by the step. It was terrible - shocking for a nearly new bus. I was surprised by the lack of next stop announcements too though it did have USBs. It was a bit disappointing and, dare I say it, probably worse than the 8 year old Pulsar I'd had last time I'd sampled the 575. Still, the scenery was lovely (and I'd not done the full 575 before) as we headed to Horwich.
1701015777038.png
New Bee Network e200mmc

At Bolton, there's another humungous bus station. I had a quickish change to the 36 to Walkden but there was absolute confusion. Multiple 8s, 36s and 37s arriving but not departing. Apparently, there was some issue with a diversion/road closure in Swinton. There were drivers milling about and just generally chaotic. To give an illustration as to the 36 scheduled (and actual) times from Bolton were:

• 11:30 (12:10), 11:42 (11:43), 11:54 (?), 12:06 (?), 12:18 (12:33), 12:30 (12:59)

I was on the 12:18 and it was one of the new BYD e400 EVs. Same sort of interior as the e200mmc, not brilliant but not bad though it did have NSAs. However, I went to the lower deck rear seats and noticed that the headroom is quite limited (and I'm not tall). It felt like a low ECW Bristol VR. Still, it was very smooth and noticeably fewer bodywork issues. I was quite impressed. I had to change at Little Hulton rather than my intended point at Walkden, and onto the 129 to Tyldesley. Unlike my first two Bee Network buses (which were Go North West and brand new), this was Diamond and still in their colours. It was a former Wessex e200 (red paint flaking through) and fitted with urban 90 seats - ouch. It was a trip best described as "spirited" as we went around various loops and echoes of my past through Boothstown and Walkden before arriving into Tyldesley 10 mins late. That meant I had a little less time to explore the town, a former mining centre noted for its many pubs although a few have gone in recent years.

I wandered down to the Guided Busway stop on Astley Street where a former First Bath Streetlite (now Diamond) was sat waiting. Thought it looked familiar! I waited for my V1 which dutifully arrived. Now repainted in Bee Network yellow, the interior was still very much Vantage (and the old First fleetnumber still evident). Now, this is one thing that has disappointed me about Bee Network - you can have commonality of imagery and I do get the reasoning for that. However, that the Busway now has no real branding about it just smacks of one size fits all - even using the same yellow base, you can still do something to publicise a product that has a USP. Hrmphhh! Anyhow, we then belted down the busway and then onto the bus lanes on the East Lancs before getting off at Pendleton.

1701016187053.png
One of Tyldesley's better pubs and a celebration of local lady, Ella Toone

1701016002403.png
Classic Busway shot

1701016120635.png
Salford Shopping - very Life on Mars!

After navigating the subways etc, I made it to Salford Shopping City - a 1970s retail offering that was almost as parlous as Skem's. Everything just seemed so....naff. I got a Greggs coffee, and went back outside for my penultimate bus. This was the more prosaic non-busway service to Leigh. There were plenty of routes from Leigh/Tyldesley/Atherton but the busway replaced most of those. The 35 provides a important link paralleling that corridor but to the south. My former Diamond, now GNW Streetdeck arrived on time. However, we were soon in a world of traffic congestion as a five min delay became 10 mins by Worsley, 15 down by Astley, and arriving into Leigh a full 20 mins late. Time was marching on so I didn't delay and instead headed for the stand to get a bus to Lowton. Another former Diamond Streetdeck - one of the ones ordered by First Leeds and so with First Group interior spec and signage. Still, you'd have thought it was still DBNW as the interior screen was scrolling through with all sorts of Diamond recruitment and charity announcements. All a bit daft.

So my thoughts. Well, the scenery was very pleasant especially out to Ormskirk and the views across the area from hills near Wigan and towards the doomed Fiddlers Ferry. It was good to go to places that I didn't know, and then to return to ones that I am all to aware of! Arriva's fleet in the North West featured some year old B8RLEs on the Liverpool to Skem route but otherwise, it looks very middle aged now - lots of 2014 deckers whilst the Pulsars were more 2008-2012. With franchising coming to Merseyside, will Arriva invest?

In respect of the Bee Network, I have to be aware of unconscious or confirmation bias, and looking for the stuff that I expected to see. However, the horrendous rattle of a new e200 isn't their fault - why ADL seemingly still have build issues is just astonishing. However, one thing I noticed is that every Bee Network bus I travelled on, except the former Vantage V1, was significantly late (i.e. >5 mins) and this was something I've highlighted before. People will point at deregulation and it's faults but traffic congestion and the like does not distinguish on the ownership model of the vehicle. Service reliability is THE single most important consideration and the lack of good bus priority in many areas is evident. Huge gaps on a 12 min frequency service like the 36 is not good. I was impressed by the e400 EV though am I being over sensitive about the lower deck height? Perhaps another over critical point is the number of ex Diamond Streetdecks now running on other routes but still branded for the 8 and 36.

Credit on the job they've done on rolling out Bee Network branding to stops etc and at bus stations. I still think the lack of a Bee Network style Vantage name for the Busway is a missed opportunity. Also, the yellow livery is a bit insipid, and not helped by the filthy condition of the buses. Have the washes failed at Wigan and Bolton depots? Nonetheless, it is very interesting and I do hope some of the expected teething problems do get worked out, and I'm sure they will. Operationally, there's a few issues but traffic congestion is something that GM will need to face into especially as they can no longer blame bus barons for all ills. Whether they can really make it even reasonably sustainable and still achieve the 30% increase in passengers that I've now seen touted.... I am still sceptical but I hope they do.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed the trip. I did.

Last edited:

Leyland Bus

The ailing state of Park and Rides is perhaps a subject for a separate thread. I went past the now closed Sealand Road site in Chester and it looks rather forlorn. Some schemes have gone completely (Swindon, Worcester) and others aren't the flagship schemes they once were. Still, I thought Norwich and Cambridge would be faring a little better.

***** NEW TRIP *****

I didn't think it had been quite so long, but time gallops along. It had been FIVE years since I'd had a trip out in Greater Manchester but a good day on Friday and a social event meant I had good reason to explore. There were a few other things I fancied doing. One was to experience the new Bee Network and see what it was like. Secondly, and this was a strange anomaly in that whilst I've travelled on every other former NBC bus firm (as at dereg), I'd never been on what was a North Western service. Lastly, I wanted to revisit some old haunts from when I lived up there (which makes point 2 even more odd). Hence, after a night staying locally, it was an early start.

My first bus of the day was one of those interlopers into Bee Network territory. It was the first 34 from Leigh to St Helens and I got on at Lowton, just in BN territory. As expected, it was a decent Arriva Pulsar - reasonably turned out, having had a mid life refurb. I always think that the Pulsar is underrated by enthusiasts. This one took us smoothly towards Newton le Willows where the rebuilt station is a beacon in the dark. I can't recall the old station but it now looks smart with a bus interchange out the front where three of the six passengers disembarked. We then looped around NleW and Earlestown amassing passengers until the Pulsar arrived in St Helens with a healthy load. St Helens town centre, around the bus station, seems a bit tired and I don't know if regeneration is planned.

View attachment 147308
My early Pulsar
View attachment 147309
View attachment 147310
Deserted Ormskirk

Thankfully, I didn't have long to wait on a cold morning for my next bus. The 152 is a jointly supported Lancashire/Merseytravel route that goes from Merseyside to Merseyside via Lancashire, or St Helens to Southport via Ormskirk. St Helens and Newton le Willows always feel more Lancashire than Merseyside to me but I digress. On time, the 152 arrived - a rather compact 23 seat Optare Solo SR of HTL Buses with rock hard (urban 90-esque) seats, and we were nearly full. Dawn had broken and it was a lovely quite rural trip across the nether world of sodden fields near Rainford. According to Timetable World, this was once the Warrington to Southport service of Ribble, running every hour but now is a two hourly trundle on a tendered Solo! Still, the blue skies and bright sunshine allowed some delightful views across the Lancashire Plain towards Liverpool. We passed through Rainford and then reached Edge Hill University where most of the passengers disembarked. I continued on to Ormskirk where I was shocked to see the bus station had been redeveloped. Shocked only because it had seemed to be a timewarp of a place. However, the small toilet/cafe building had been flattened, new bus shelters and a general upgrade but all seemed a bit pointless (unless the building had been in bad shape?). I had time for a wander, the old Ribble depot/bus station is still there and the town itself is one of quiet affluence.

View attachment 147311

View attachment 147316
Almost a caption contest - a slightly jarring bit of festivity in a subdued Skem

I then headed East and a pair of standard Arriva e400s from Southport on the trunk route to Wigan, allowing myself a breakfast stop in Skelmersdale. Now, I've been to Skem several times for work, but to the industrial areas. The 385 took me through Old Skem and then into the new town which was built to accommodate loads of Scousers when 1960s slum clearance was enacted. Hence, sitting in a cafe in Skem Concourse Shopping Centre, the local accent is Scouse not Lancashire (so the opposite of St Helens). I had a disappointing bacon sandwich, and then explored the shopping centre which was as depressing as you'll find. A clearer example of retail decline it is hard to get. The bus station there is a relic of the 1970s. Skem did have a Ribble/North Western/Arriva depot until 2011 (that had replaced Ormskirk) and I hadn't appreciated how few services there were other than the trunk Southport to Wigan corridor. A tendered route to Burscough (Preston Bus) and a tendered TrainLink service to Kirkby that seemed to get a few passengers. Ironically, it's operated by Ribble (still the legal entity for Stagecoach) whilst a Ribble liveried Daf of Arriva was there on training duties. The run to Wigan was quite busy and from the top deck, I had fine views across the vista.

We arrived into Bee Network territory and Wigan, arriving at the massive modern bus station. For some reason, TfGM do love a massive bus station. Wigan's is the most bonkers though I notice the area behind it is now being redeveloped. Having paid £2 fares so far, I was now able to buy my £5 Bee AnyBus ticket, which is exceptional value. My steed was to be the 575 to Bolton, with a nearly brand new e200mmc with that new bus smell still evident. Sadly, what also became evident was the ADL build quality - there was a rattle from the offside that, I think, related to the panel by the window just by the step. It was terrible - shocking for a nearly new bus. I was surprised by the lack of next stop announcements too though it did have USBs. It was a bit disappointing and, dare I say it, probably worse than the 8 year old Pulsar I'd had last time I'd sampled the 575. Still, the scenery was lovely (and I'd not done the full 575 before) as we headed to Horwich.
View attachment 147312
New Bee Network e200mmc

At Bolton, there's another humungous bus station. I had a quickish change to the 36 to Walkden but there was absolute confusion. Multiple 8s, 36s and 37s arriving but not departing. Apparently, there was some issue with a diversion/road closure in Swinton. There were drivers milling about and just generally chaotic. To give an illustration as to the 36 scheduled (and actual) times from Bolton were:

• 11:30 (12:10), 11:42 (11:43), 11:54 (?), 12:06 (?), 12:18 (12:33), 12:30 (12:59)

I was on the 12:18 and it was one of the new BYD e400 EVs. Same sort of interior as the e200mmc, not brilliant but not bad though it did have NSAs. However, I went to the lower deck rear seats and noticed that the headroom is quite limited (and I'm not tall). It felt like a low ECW Bristol VR. Still, it was very smooth and noticeably fewer bodywork issues. I was quite impressed. I had to change at Little Hulton rather than my intended point at Walkden, and onto the 129 to Tyldesley. Unlike my first two Bee Network buses (which were Go North West and brand new), this was Diamond and still in their colours. It was a former Wessex e200 (red paint flaking through) and fitted with urban 90 seats - ouch. It was a trip best described as "spirited" as we went around various loops and echoes of my past through Boothstown and Walkden before arriving into Tyldesley 10 mins late. That meant I had a little less time to explore the town, a former mining centre noted for its many pubs although a few have gone in recent years.

I wandered down to the Guided Busway stop on Astley Street where a former First Bath Streetlite (now Diamond) was sat waiting. Thought it looked familiar! I waited for my V1 which dutifully arrived. Now repainted in Bee Network yellow, the interior was still very much Vantage (and the old First fleetnumber still evident). Now, this is one thing that has disappointed me about Bee Network - you can have commonality of imagery and I do get the reasoning for that. However, that the Busway now has no real branding about it just smacks of one size fits all - even using the same yellow base, you can still do something to publicise a product that has a USP. Hrmphhh! Anyhow, we then belted down the busway and then onto the bus lanes on the East Lancs before getting off at Pendleton.

View attachment 147315

View attachment 147313
Classic Busway shot

View attachment 147314

After navigating the subways etc, I made it to Salford Shopping City - a 1970s retail offering that was almost as parlous as Skem's. Everything just seemed so....naff. I got a Greggs coffee, and went back outside for my penultimate bus. This was the more prosaic non-busway service to Leigh. There were plenty of routes from Leigh/Tyldesley/Atherton but the busway replaced most of those. The 35 provides a important link paralleling that corridor but to the south. My former Diamond, now GNW Streetdeck arrived on time. However, we were soon in a world of traffic congestion as a five min delay became 10 mins by Worsley, 15 down by Astley, and arriving into Leigh a full 20 mins late. Time was marching on so I didn't delay and instead headed for the stand to get a bus to Lowton. Another former Diamond Streetdeck - one of the ones ordered by First Leeds and so with First Group interior spec and signage. Still, you'd have thought it was still DBNW as the interior screen was scrolling through with all sorts of Diamond recruitment and charity announcements. All a bit daft.

So my thoughts. Well, the scenery was very pleasant especially out to Ormskirk and the views across the area from hills near Wigan and towards the doomed Fiddlers Ferry. It was good to go to places that I didn't know, and then to return to ones that I am all to aware of! Arriva's fleet in the North West featured some year old B8RLEs on the Liverpool to Skem route but otherwise, it looks very middle aged now - lots of 2014 deckers whilst the Pulsars were more 2008-2012. With franchising coming to Merseyside, will Arriva invest?

In respect of the Bee Network, I have to be aware of unconscious or confirmation bias, and looking for the stuff that I expected to see. However, the horrendous rattle of a new e200 isn't their fault - why ADL seemingly still have build issues is just astonishing. However, one thing I noticed is that every Bee Network bus I travelled on, except the former Vantage V1, was significantly late (i.e. >5 mins) and this was something I've highlighted before. People will point at deregulation and it's faults but traffic congestion and the like does not distinguish on the ownership model of the vehicle. Service reliability is THE single most important consideration and the lack of good bus priority in many areas is evident. Huge gaps on a 12 min frequency service like the 36 is not good. I was impressed by the e400 EV though am I being over sensitive about the lower deck height? Perhaps another over critical point is the number of ex Diamond Streetdecks now running on other routes but still branded for the 8 and 36.

Credit on the job they've done on rolling out Bee Network branding to stops etc and at bus stations. I still think the lack of a Bee Network style Vantage name for the Busway is a missed opportunity. Also, the yellow livery is a bit insipid, and not helped by the filthy condition of the buses. Have the washes failed at Wigan and Bolton depots? Nonetheless, it is very interesting and I do hope some of the expected teething problems do get worked out, and I'm sure they will. Operationally, there's a few issues but traffic congestion is something that GM will need to face into especially as they can no longer blame bus barons for all ills. Whether they can really make it even reasonably sustainable and still achieve the 30% increase in passengers that I've now seen touted.... I am still sceptical but I hope they do.

That was a really interesting write up, have not read one before so it was really fascinating.

With regards to the buses, Rotala left Bolton with two washes in extremely run down condition to the point they are nigh on useless and two brand new ones are on order.

Wigans wash was maintained very well by Stagecoach and their fleet is usually very clean, could have been a bad night?

It'll be an uphill struggle as GoAhead have to catch up with alot of issues that should have been dealt with years ago, especially at Bolton but I feel after only 2 months, things are slowly starting to point in the right direction...

Temple Meads

Established Member
I've enjoyed reading everyone else's reports, so it's probably time to add one of my own. The following trip was partly inspired from reading @TheGrandWazoo's North Devon/Exmoor excursion, so it will be covering some familiar ground, but I thought it could make an interesting comparison. The notes have been on my phone for a while, and I've finally translated them into something vaguely readable1

So, to business. On a Saturday morning back in September, I took the short walk from my house to Tiverton bus station. This also happened to be the last day of Dartline providing the town services in Tiverton, as from the following Monday they would revert to Stagecoach, who had previously operated them until 2013.

Here I assembled with two good friends, Sean and Steve, who would be joining me on this trip and had made their way up on a 55 service from Exeter and Rewe respectively. We then boarded Wright Streetlite WF MX61 BCF on the 398 service, a regular allocation for this vehicle. The 398 is the only route that Dartline continues to operate from Tiverton and consists of five journeys a day, with two of these extended beyond Bampton to Dulverton, our 08.45 trip being one of these. We left on time with only one other passenger, although as we passed the shops at Westexe South we encountered a would-be passenger who was standing across the road from a marked stop, seemingly unaware that the corresponding stop in our direction is around the corner. I'm not sure if the driver pointed towards the correct stop, but either way this chap started to sprint after us as we sailed past him, but to no avail as our driver continued on his merry way, perhaps enjoying his schadenfreude for the day. The rest of the trip continued without incident - we picked up a pair of passengers in Cove who then alighted in nearby Bampton along with our original fellow traveller. They were replaced by another pair who would continue with us to Dulverton. This part of the trip is quite entertaining with some rather narrow roads, although the later 1245 trip also serves Claypits and Morebath, so is probably more interesting in this regard.

We arrived in Dulverton a few minutes earlier than scheduled, and took a short walk around the town, browsing shop windows, and observing the timetable for the community bus, which would be of no use to us today - we were awaiting the 10.01 Atwest 198 service, which would be a new experience for all of us. Whilst planning the trip I'd looked at the operator's website, and pleasingly found confirmation that they were taking part in the £2 fare scheme. Right on cue at 10.00 the bus came into view, and the friendly driver issued our tickets via a portable Ticketer machine kept in a dashboard mounted cradle. Like the 678 this is also usually operated with an Iveco Daily minibus (HY23 WZV), featuring a small LED destination display supplemented by large stickers proclaiming the route number, and this was indeed the vehicle for our trip. We were the only patrons upon leaving the centre of Dulverton, but soon picked up a concessionary pass user from the estate on the edge of the town. We then steadily gained more passengers as we made our way north through Exmoor, and although this route runs thrice-daily Monday to Saturday it had the community bus feel, with newcomers greeting their fellow passengers, and engaging in conversations. We reached a maximum of nine, the last being an elderly gentleman in Timberscombe, who had left his mobility scooter by the bus shelter, and was resorting to his walking sticks for the day.

PXL_20230902_090558688.jpg
The view onboard HY23 WZV.

Because our next trip was going to be the Exmoor Coaster open-top service, we had now become rather concerned as the forecast fine weather had given way to typical Exmoor low cloud and drizzle, and this persisted even as we left the Iveco in Minehead town centre and made our way to Wetherspoons for a leisurely late breakfast. There was certainly no rush as the 198 arrived at 1119 and due to the two-hourly frequency of the full Coaster route, we had long missed the 1100, so would be waiting for the 1300.

DSG_8509_1485lr.JPG
The Atwest Iveco seen after arrival in Minehead.

After finishing our second coffee refills, we walked to the railway station to await the Coaster, and the long wait probably wasn't a bad thing, as by the time we left the pub the sun had broken through the clouds and the temperature was rapidly rising, perfect for a long open-top ride. Again the bus arrived punctually, in the shape of Enviro400 SN59 AVU (32737). At this point the bus was almost empty, and we chose the seats at the back of the top deck, despite some of them still holding water from earlier rain! As we made our way though the High Street we started to pick up more passengers, enough to make pews in the open section a valuable commodity. On some previous trips, even in summer, I've found the section into Porlock rather fresh, dropping my body temperature too much to really enjoy the best parts, but this occasion was completely different, and Porlock Hill provided the usual entertainment. I must confess that I'm rather ambivalent towards these Enviro400s - the conversions appear to have been done to a decent standard, and they just about get the job done, but I would much rather a Volvo or Scania on this route any day.

DSG_8515_1486lr.JPG
Coasters meet at Lynmouth.

We made our way down Countisbury Hill into Lynmouth, where we lost most of our busy top deck load, only to gain even more, leaving us almost full upstairs. I believe the route had struggled for timekeeping this year, with the Lynmouth to Ilfracombe stretch timed very tightly, and although we actually passed Barbrook around 6 minutes early, and had a good run through Combe Martin (a common pinch point), we were still a few minutes late by the time we were on the approach to Ilfracombe, so this certainly feels like something that will need some attention if this route is to continue next year, and judging from the passenger loads I think it will.

PXL_20230902_125142832.jpg
Stunning views and a healthy load of passengers.

Upon arrival in Ilfracombe we also had the choice of the 301 or the 21/21A for our next leg, but as we had alighted at the terminus stop at the old bus station, we agreed that the 21 was the preferred option to avoid a brisk walk. Therefore, we boarded Stagecoach South West WA13 GDE (15866), an Enviro400 bodied Scania N230UD, operating the 15.25 21 to Westward Ho!, which was a straightforward trip on this key corridor. We had the usual long pause in Braunton (nine minutes this time!), which does seem excessive - Braunton does have traffic issues, but in my experience it's usually a bigger problem in the opposite direction. It was made worse on this occasion thanks to the heat building up on the bus whilst stationary.

DSG_8523_1487lr.JPG
The only full width Solo currently in the Stagecoach South West fleet - AE06 TWX (47355) - seen in Boutport Street on route 10.

Leaving 15886 at Boutport Street in Barnstaple, we decamped to a nearby Wetherspoons (The Panniers - they have another venue only a few minutes away!) for some food and drink - I decided to risk two pints despite a question mark over lavatory availability on our onward trip… Anyway, one of my favourite things about trips to North Devon is the variety of different route combinations that can be used, but on this occasion the return was the most straightforward for me, and also followed in the Wazoo tyre tracks, as we joined another Enviro400/Scania, this time 15885 (WA13 GCZ) on the 17.25 155 to North Molton, I only realised when checking facts for this report that this was actually the last Saturday trip to North Molton, with this short extension only operating Monday to Friday from the 3rd September timetable changes - although it’s only twice a day in any case. The heat was an issue again - this particular vehicle felt like an oven, and it seemed like the heater must have been on, although the high temperature may have just been built up from the vehicle standing around. It did get better when we got out to the open roads, as fortunately this driver had a heavy right foot, and knew the roads well, so we had some fresh air blowing in. I’m a big fan of Scania E400s, but some of the older examples are showing their age now, so I’m glad to report that this one was in fine fettle, and by this point we were sorry to leave the bus in South Molton for the half-hour wait for the connecting 346.

At this later hour, the drivers of the 155 and 346 did not swap over, and we boarded Optare Solo 47445 (WA56 FLC) at 18.20 for the final Tiverton-bound trip of the day, and despite being a downgrade from the Scania, the Optare still provided an enjoyable ride through the Devon countryside. It was a shame not to have the views we would have enjoyed from a double decker, but the capacity was certainly more than sufficient, with only a handful of other passengers.

Unfortunately it was a rather sour end to the day for my travelling companions, as the 19.00 55 left Tiverton just before we pulled in, and the following trip had broken down on its way into Exeter, meaning an extended wait for the 20.45 service. With the local taxi operator quoting long waiting times, there was no choice but to take refuge in another pub!

All in all, a most enjoyable day, seeing a great variety of West Country scenery.

Last edited:

RELL6L

***** NEW TRIP *****

View attachment 147308
My early Pulsar
View attachment 147309
View attachment 147310
Deserted Ormskirk

View attachment 147311

View attachment 147316

View attachment 147312
New Bee Network e200mmc

View attachment 147315

View attachment 147313
Classic Busway shot

View attachment 147314

Thanks for the really interesting report. A very early start for a cold winter’s day! Some fairly obscure routes around the area, I’ve not done the 152, nor to Tyldesley nor even in the busway. I have recently sampled St Helens to Leigh and on to Worsley on what was then Stagecoach 34 just a few weeks before the Bee Network began. Interesting to see your thoughts on that big change and look forward to seeing how it develops. I’ve also been to Salford shopping centre which is a real throwback- but just down the road on the 50 is Salford Quays, a total contrast. I feel cold just looking at some of your photos… but I can’t wait to get out again myself.

I've enjoyed reading everyone else's reports, so it's probably time to add one of my own. The following trip was partly inspired from reading @TheGrandWazoo's North Devon/Exmoor excursion, so it will be covering some familiar ground, but I thought it could make an interesting comparison. The notes have been on my phone for a while, and I've finally translated them into something vaguely readable1

So, to business. On a Saturday morning back in September, I took the short walk from my house to Tiverton bus station. This also happened to be the last day of Dartline providing the town services in Tiverton, as from the following Monday they would revert to Stagecoach, who had previously operated them until 2013.

Here I assembled with two good friends, Sean and Steve, who would be joining me on this trip and had made their way up on a 55 service from Exeter and Rewe respectively. We then boarded Wright Streetlite WF MX61 BCF on the 398 service, a regular allocation for this vehicle. The 398 is the only route that Dartline continues to operate from Tiverton and consists of five journeys a day, with two of these extended beyond Bampton to Dulverton, our 08.45 trip being one of these. We left on time with only one other passenger, although as we passed the shops at Westexe South we encountered a would-be passenger who was standing across the road from a marked stop, seemingly unaware that the corresponding stop in our direction is around the corner. I'm not sure if the driver pointed towards the correct stop, but either way this chap started to sprint after us as we sailed past him, but to no avail as our driver continued on his merry way, perhaps enjoying his schadenfreude for the day. The rest of the trip continued without incident - we picked up a pair of passengers in Cove who then alighted in nearby Bampton along with our original fellow traveller. They were replaced by another pair who would continue with us to Dulverton. This part of the trip is quite entertaining with some rather narrow roads, although the later 1245 trip also serves Claypits and Morebath, so is probably more interesting in this regard.

We arrived in Dulverton a few minutes earlier than scheduled, and took a short walk around the town, browsing shop windows, and observing the timetable for the community bus, which would be of no use to us today - we were awaiting the 10.01 Atwest 198 service, which would be a new experience for all of us. Whilst planning the trip I'd looked at the operator's website, and pleasingly found confirmation that they were taking part in the £2 fare scheme. Right on cue at 10.00 the bus came into view, and the friendly driver issued our tickets via a portable Ticketer machine kept in a dashboard mounted cradle. Like the 678 this is also usually operated with an Iveco Daily minibus (HY23 WZV), featuring a small LED destination display supplemented by large stickers proclaiming the route number, and this was indeed the vehicle for our trip. We were the only patrons upon leaving the centre of Dulverton, but soon picked up a concessionary pass user from the estate on the edge of the town. We then steadily gained more passengers as we made our way north through Exmoor, and although this route runs thrice-daily Monday to Saturday it had the community bus feel, with newcomers greeting their fellow passengers, and engaging in conversations. We reached a maximum of nine, the last being an elderly gentleman in Timberscombe, who had left his mobility scooter by the bus shelter, and was resorting to his walking sticks for the day.

View attachment 147378
The view onboard HY23 WZV.

Because our next trip was going to be the Exmoor Coaster open-top service, we had now become rather concerned as the forecast fine weather had given way to typical Exmoor low cloud and drizzle, and this persisted even as we left the Iveco in Minehead town centre and made our way to Wetherspoons for a leisurely late breakfast. There was certainly no rush as the 198 arrived at 1119 and due to the two-hourly frequency of the full Coaster route, we had long missed the 1100, so would be waiting for the 1300.

View attachment 147375
The Atwest Iveco seen after arrival in Minehead.

After finishing our second coffee refills, we walked to the railway station to await the Coaster, and the long wait probably wasn't a bad thing, as by the time we left the pub the sun had broken through the clouds and the temperature was rapidly rising, perfect for a long open-top ride. Again the bus arrived punctually, in the shape of Enviro400 SN59 AVU (32737). At this point the bus was almost empty, and we chose the seats at the back of the top deck, despite some of them still holding water from earlier rain! As we made our way though the High Street we started to pick up more passengers, enough to make pews in the open section a valuable commodity. On some previous trips, even in summer, I've found the section into Porlock rather fresh, dropping my body temperature too much to really enjoy the best parts, but this occasion was completely different, and Porlock Hill provided the usual entertainment. I must confess that I'm rather ambivalent towards these Enviro400s - the conversions appear to have been done to a decent standard, and they just about get the job done, but I would much rather a Volvo or Scania on this route any day.

View attachment 147376
Coasters meet at Lynmouth.

We made our way down Countisbury Hill into Lynmouth, where we lost most of our busy top deck load, only to gain even more, leaving us almost full upstairs. I believe the route had struggled for timekeeping this year, with the Lynmouth to Ilfracombe stretch timed very tightly, and although we actually passed Barbrook around 6 minutes early, and had a good run through Combe Martin (a common pinch point), we were still a few minutes late by the time we were on the approach to Ilfracombe, so this certainly feels like something that will need some attention if this route is to continue next year, and judging from the passenger loads I think it will.

View attachment 147379
Stunning views and a healthy load of passengers.

Upon arrival in Ilfracombe we also had the choice of the 301 or the 21/21A for our next leg, but as we had alighted at the terminus stop at the old bus station, we agreed that the 21 was the preferred option to avoid a brisk walk. Therefore, we boarded Stagecoach South West WA13 GDE (15866), an Enviro400 bodied Scania N230UD, operating the 15.25 21 to Westward Ho!, which was a straightforward trip on this key corridor. We had the usual long pause in Braunton (nine minutes this time!), which does seem excessive - Braunton does have traffic issues, but in my experience it's usually a bigger problem in the opposite direction. It was made worse on this occasion thanks to the heat building up on the bus whilst stationary.

View attachment 147377
The only full width Solo currently in the Stagecoach South West fleet - AE06 TWX (47355) - seen in Boutport Street on route 10.

Leaving 15886 at Boutport Street in Barnstaple, we decamped to a nearby Wetherspoons (The Panniers - they have another venue only a few minutes away!) for some food and drink - I decided to risk two pints despite a question mark over lavatory availability on our onward trip… Anyway, one of my favourite things about trips to North Devon is the variety of different route combinations that can be used, but on this occasion the return was the most straightforward for me, and also followed in the Wazoo tyre tracks, as we joined another Enviro400/Scania, this time 15885 (WA13 GCZ) on the 17.25 155 to North Molton, I only realised when checking facts for this report that this was actually the last Saturday trip to North Molton, with this short extension only operating Monday to Friday from the 3rd September timetable changes - although it’s only twice a day in any case. The heat was an issue again - this particular vehicle felt like an oven, and it seemed like the heater must have been on, although the high temperature may have just been built up from the vehicle standing around. It did get better when we got out to the open roads, as fortunately this driver had a heavy right foot, and knew the roads well, so we had some fresh air blowing in. I’m a big fan of Scania E400s, but some of the older examples are showing their age now, so I’m glad to report that this one was in fine fettle, and by this point we were sorry to leave the bus in South Molton for the half-hour wait for the connecting 346.

At this later hour, the drivers of the 155 and 346 did not swap over, and we boarded Optare Solo 47445 (WA56 FLC) at 18.20 for the final Tiverton-bound trip of the day, and despite being a downgrade from the Scania, the Optare still provided an enjoyable ride through the Devon countryside. It was a shame not to have the views we would have enjoyed from a double decker, but the capacity was certainly more than sufficient, with only a handful of other passengers.

Unfortunately it was a rather sour end to the day for my travelling companions, as the 19.00 55 left Tiverton just before we pulled in, and the following trip had broken down on its way into Exeter, meaning an extended wait for the 20.45 service. With the local taxi operator quoting long waiting times, there was no choice but to take refuge in another pub!

All in all, a most enjoyable day, seeing a great variety of West Country scenery.
Great report. As you say very similar to a trip @TheGrandWazoo made earlier in the year. I have done all of this route but not in quite the same way. I fancy doing it again, starting with Taunton to Dulverton, but it is a very long day. It is really encouraging to hear how well the Exmoor Coaster has done this year. I hope the financial bottom line has been as good as the upper deck loadings and it comes back as strongly next year. I also like the Scanias in the Stagecoach fleet, they seem to have more 'go' about them than the AD E400s and the current MMCs seem very low spec compared to the ex-Gold Scanias. You would have thought the 346 would connect better with the 155 for regular passengers, although for a one-off trip there's nothing wrong with half an hour in South Molton. It did of course run through not long ago and the views from double deckers were good. Do keep travelling and posting.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Well @Temple Meads.... clearly great minds think alike :lol: Your trip is exactly what I would have done had I not stumbled across the 678 accidentally. Like you, I was impressed by the loadings to Ilfracombe on the Coaster, and would like to think that they will again be running in 2024. The 155/346 is a bit of a bind to change but at least there's some margin built in rather than it being tightly timed and connections missed. Also, the loss of a through route is sad but the busy bit is the 155. The 346 is pretty thin territory though I know what you mean on the views from a decker; I did it one Saturday a few years ago on a glorious sunny morning north of Tiverton and the views were superb. Not so great in a Solo but economics rule! Thanks again for sharing, and I'd echo @RELL6L in asking you to keep sharing. Really enjoyed it, even if it was a bit eerily similar!

As regards my early NW trip and @RELL6L comments.... it wasn't too early or dark and I don't know how much of Earlestown's suburbs is a great miss in the dark. Certainly, it was ok by St Helens. I was quite pleased with the 152 (handy link) and I'm shocked to have been on a route that @RELL6L hasn't sampled :D A bit of research showed that 40 years ago, it would have been a Ribble National or Atlantean on there, rather than a 23 seat Solo. Times change eh! Mind you, I was shocked to discover my last bus trip in the Pie and Lobby zone was Dec 2018 when First was still in Bolton. I think I'll have to have another visit in 2024 but Tameside and Stockport - perhaps a heady mix of Bee Network and the last remaining evil of deregulation in one day!!

ps it wasn't really that cold, and at least it was dry

Cymroglan

This was the year I reached state pension age and (eventually) got round to acquiring my bus pass.
Today was the day I first made use of it.
Just a low key journey from the coastal edges of the New Forest to Bournemouth & back. I made use of the Morebus X1 service which we have used a lot for local jaunts, to Lymington or Christchurch especially if there’s a boozy lunch with friends on the agenda! I’ve never previously travelled as far as the bright lights of Bournemouth on the X1!

Today was all about double deckers, I just love the perspective from up there. Happily the Morebus app is user friendly and hasn’t got it wrong so far in my limited experience! So my first bus was a Volvo B7TL East Lancs Myllennium Vyking HF05 GGU. I have to confess that I don’t necessarily understand all of those words!

Anyway, it was on time and did well to arrive in Bournemouth within touching distance of on time despite all the congestion etc! It was very quiet upstairs, no more than half a dozen passengers at any time. Pretty smooth ride and a thoroughly enjoyable journey.

My only agenda in Bournemouth was a little light Christmas shopping, a good coffee and a light lunch. As I wandered past the Pavilion Theatre, I first heard and then saw Su Pollard, one of the stars of Hi De Hi! one of my favourite sit coms ever. I gave her a wave and thanked her for all the laughter. That was my highlight of the day!

I caught the 13.35 back and travelled on the top deck of ADL Enviro400 HJ63 JJU. I actually preferred this vehicle, more comfortable and quieter. It was quite a bit busier than the outward journey. I felt sorry for the driver, she arrived late and didn’t even have time for a personal needs break before heading back to Lymington. We seemed to keep good time on the return leg, so hope she was able to have a break in Lymington!

We’re kept busy with our family, especially grandchildren and a busy social life so don’t I get many days like this to myself. Plans for my next jaunt might take me in search of electric buses, or failing that, possibly to Salisbury on the X3. None of that will be this year though!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks @Cymroglan for your post. Not seen any 1980s comedy stars when I've been out travelling!

****************************************************************************************

Time for a last trip report of 2023, and the day began with torrential rain but I wasn’t going to miss a bonus opportunity to have a day out. It was the chance to have a trip out and fill in some rather egregious gaps in my travelling pleasure having been ages since I’d been to Nottinghamshire for a day out, though I've been to neighbouring counties in recent years. Also, as @Ken H mentioned in aI hope you enjoy reading the travelogue.

The day started in darkness as I drove to Toton Lane. My first bus would be a tram…and a first trip on the NET. I’ve been to Nottingham for several work meetings usually involving car or rail but not the tram. I was pleased to get out of the rain and into a tram that I had to myself for the first two stops. However, it soon began to fill up as we sped through the suburbs and into central Nottingham. I’d bought a Robin Hood ticket that provides unlimited bus and tram travel in Nottingham but not across Nottinghamshire. My first impressions of the tram were favourable and it really does mark out Nottingham as an enlightened modern city.

1702550536047.png
Early morning at Rise Park

After leaving the NET, it was a short walk to the Victoria Centre, and a chance to experience Nottingham City Transport. You can see why NCT gets the plaudits as a leading operator. I’d chosen the Brown Line 16 to Rise Park and had a four year old CNG powered Scania with e400 city bodywork, nicely appointed with good marketing internally. It was noticeably quieter (fewer rattles) than the similar examples that First use in Bristol and we carved our way through the city terminating at a small rank of shops where a number of other NCT routes also call in. The 20 min journey was well covered by Next Stop Announcements and visual displays that does help the tourist. I left the terminus and walked through some affluent 1970s suburbia where I expected Bob and Thelma to be polishing their Vauxhall Viva (a cultural reference from a different age) before heading across the city boundary and into wooded Bestwood Country Park. This is the site of a former colliery (a theme for the day) that closed in 1967 where the colliery engine house and headstocks remain a feature. After a visit to the lovely Dynamo café where you get tea and cake at a ridiculously cheap price, I walked the two mins to the stop where the 141 stops.

The 141 is another example of Stagecoach extending its tendrils in the UK, seizing on TrentBarton’s relinquishing of the service to take this route and consolidating its grip on the Mansfield area routes. Running hourly, it heads through Hucknall and serves several attractive villages as it winds its way through a rural hinterland before arriving in more former mining villages such as Rainworth where it runs in parallel with other Stagecoach services. My e200 was looking rather faded internally so perhaps not getting a midlife refresh but we did attract quite a few passengers. We arrived on time into the modern bus station at Mansfield, a facility I’ve not visited before and representing a real upgrade on the old one. It was very impressive though whilst it has a shop, a café would’ve been good for punters.

1702552622232.png
The delights of Mansfield bus station in the rain

I didn’t have long to wait for my next bus as timings were all important. I was heading north on the 11 to Warsop on a 6 week old 73 plate e400mmc. This has the now standard Stagecoach interior that is best described as bright and airy, though it is really a sea of anaemic grey bereft of colour. However, it was good to see investment in the local fleet and it was a nice trip as we left Mansfield splashing through large puddles, testimony to the heavy rain that had dominated the day thus far. Warsop is a small town that was home to an East Midland depot at one time but not a natural destination. However, the logic was to get around a surprising gap in the local bus network in that two major centres of Stagecoach operation in Worksop and Mansfield don’t have a direct link these days. Instead, there is the two hourly 209 from Edwinstowe to Worksop that passes via Warsop and so another e200 duly arrived (but it was better internally) whilst the rain began to abate. The 209 splashed through some very rural territory with a load dominated by pass holders reflecting the community requirement but that it isn’t great territory.

1702550778943.png
New bus in Warsop

1702550889292.png
Worksop depot

1702550955364.png
A fine bit of pub architecture in Worksop

Worksop didn’t have a bus station before 2013. It now has a good one that includes a café where I enjoyed a sausage baguette. I also had plenty of time to have a walk around the town that can readily described as having some beautiful buildings on Bridge Street but beset by local retail and wider economic decline. It’s also a rare example of a town centre bus depot, again probably reflecting the value of the site/attractiveness of the town centre. Worksop’s bus network is orientated to the North (Rotherham and Doncaster) and West (Chesterfield). . One route that doesn’t follow that wider rule is the Sherwood Arrow, a longstanding Stagecoach route that runs from Nottingham to Ollerton every hour, splitting to provide projections to Retford or Worksop every two hours. The SA is split for drivers hours legislation and this is reflected in the digital displays stating New Ollerton rather than Nottingham. My midlife e400 arrived on stand at departure time with about a dozen punters as we headed off four minutes late to Ollerton on a fast and scenic run covering the short distance to Ollerton. Ollerton consists of the “Old” village, and then the “New” part that is a model village that was built around the large colliery. The mine went in 1995, replacing well paid mining jobs now replaced by lower skilled, lower paid warehouse roles.

I had 20 mins to wait having left the Sherwood Arrow at Ollerton, waiting for the half-hourly service to Mansfield. Expecting something older, it was pleasant to have a 2016 e400mmc though possessing the “IrnBru” orange and blue seating that is rather overpowering. Unlike the SA, this loops through Old Ollerton after passing the massive police station; was/is Ollerton crime-ridden? The weather was now gorgeous, bright and sunny with blue skies, as we traversed open countryside. The route to Mansfield almost singlehandedly charts the Nottingham coalfield demise, leaving Ollerton for Thoresby Colliery that was the last locally to close in 2015, and then past the impressive former Clipstone mine (closed 2003) that retains the Grade 2 listed headstocks that were (apparently) the tallest in Europe in their day. Less impressive was the state of some of the roads that we had to endure with potholes aplenty, with one particularly jarring as we hit it on the entrance to Mansfield.

1702551087351.png
The Sherwood Arrow after its loop around Ollerton

1702551223060.png
The headstocks of the former Clipstone Colliery

Back in Mansfield, it was a quick change onto the frequent Pronto service to Nottingham that runs every 15 mins. Formerly a joint service with TrentBarton, it’s been solely a Stagecoach route since 2020. Again, it was another IrnBru spec mmc but wearing the attractive purple Pronto livery. We left with a decent load thought this quickly filled up as several different groups all boarded heading into Nottingham. We passed the former Sherwood tramshed (still partly used as a bus depot by CT4N) and arrived into Nottingham slightly late because of traffic. Given the proactive local authorities, there seemed to be little bus priority that I could see. Arriving back into Nottingham, I was able to hop onto another NCT gas bus and headed on the Orange Line 36 to Beeston before again leaping on the tram to return to Toton.

My observations were that it would’ve been good to have a multi-operator ticket across Nottinghamshire as well as the city. Instead, I paid for two tickets (though maybe I missed something). Derbyshire has the Wayfarer but I appreciate that not everyone requires such a ticket. NCT is a quality operator and that comes across in spades. However, I thought that Stagecoach was also pretty competent though I was surprised to see several ALX bodied Tridents still working hard in Worksop plus a few in Mansfield. Also, lots of timetable leaflets were available for Stagecoach routes in the excellent Mansfield and Worksop bus stations. However, I recall TrentBarton being much more a player in Mansfield and they do seem to have retrenched noticeably. I did find it interesting to see how thin some of the cross-country links were, and genuinely surprised that Worksop and Mansfield aren't linked. I was fascinated by the amount of mining regeneration. The mining heritage dominates probably as it's a recent demise (the last 30 years or so) and they were very big collieries. In between, there was some quite pleasant rolling countryside especially around Ollerton. Worksop was also a lot nicer than I perhaps expected. However, the decline of the high street and overall economic health of the area was apparent both here and in Mansfield. As for Nottingham, it was a picture of vibrancy and the tram does make it feel like a proper European city. I did wonder why cars are so readily entertained even in the city centre but I guess that the local authority feels that they can only go so far, or that get the transport provision right, then you can progress. However, bus lanes did seem a bit piecemeal.

All in all, a really good day travelling and at least the weather did improve as the day went on.

Attachments

• 1702551348018.png
    1702551348018.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 1702551409572.png
    1702551409572.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 11

JD2168

Quite a number of the ALX400’s in use at Worksop have come from Mansfield being been replaced by the Enviro 400 MMC’s which has in turn replaced almost all the Trident President’s at East Midlands.

JD2168

Thanks for that info. Still a surprise to see ALXs knocking about in some numbers o_O

Quite a number of ALX 400’s run out of Gainsborough depot as well.

The oldest one is 18121 at Worksop which is on a YN04 plate, the ML02 plate closed top versions have only just been withdrawn.