• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Largest settlement in Great Britain which has never had an Intercity rail service

Status
Not open for further replies.

A S Leib

All Greater London boroughs, except Westminster, Camden, Lambeth, Southwark, Kensington & Chelsea and the City of London too.
If you're counting Liverpool Street for Norwich services wouldn't Newham count as well?

Have Wembley Stadium (Brent) or Finsbury Park (Islington) ever had intercity services, even just for events at Wembley or during closures at King's Cross?

I suspect their long-distance services all went before InterCity was introduced, but Northwood (Hillingdon) and Harrow-on-the-Hill had a few trains from Loughborough (I'd guess starting from Nottingham?) in 1952.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Purple Orange

On Moderation
If you're counting Liverpool Street for Norwich services wouldn't Newham count as well?

Have Wembley Stadium (Brent) or Finsbury Park (Islington) ever had intercity services, even just for events at Wembley or during closures at King's Cross?

I suspect their long-distance services all went before InterCity was introduced, but Northwood (Hillingdon) and Harrow-on-the-Hill had a few trains from Loughborough (I'd guess starting from Nottingham?) in 1952.
Yes, Newham too - I forget about Stratford. I’m not too sure about Brent & Islington, but I bet there will be examples somewhere where an intercity service stopped in another London borough. For Manchester, Tameside should be added as TPE has made calls at Stalybridge on a Liverpool-Newcastle service.

Steddenm

Haven't LNER, VTEC, EC and GNER all stopped at Finsbury Park at some point when there have been engineering possessions at Kings Cross?

Falcon1200

Established Member
And there were once the Highwayman cheap fare trains to and from the north east, which started and terminated at Finsbury Park! Debatable whether these could really be called InterCity, but they did cover long distances, and use the same locos and stock as other contemporaneous Intercity services.

D6130

Established Member
And there were once the Highwayman cheap fare trains to and from the north east, which started and terminated at Finsbury Park! Debatable whether these could really be called InterCity, but they did cover long distances, and use the same locos and stock as other contemporaneous Intercity services.
From my memories of the Highwayman, it used to be an elderly rake of 90 mph Mark 1 side corridor stock hauled by a Gateshead class 40. Apologies for drifting 0/T.

Last edited:

Tester

From my memories of the Highwayman, it used an elderly rake of 90 mph Mark 1 side corridor stock hauled by a Gateshead class 40. Apologies for drifting 0/T.
Amusing to think of the money they could get in for that today :D

david_g

Has Huddersfield?
Huddersfield used to have a daily return service to Kings Cross in Inter City days. Started at Halifax, picked up at Huddersfield and possibly Mirfield/Wakefield Kirkgate (it was a long time ago) before attaching to an ex Leeds/Bradford service at Doncaster. I used it on a couple of occasions back in the seventies.

And on retrieving an old notebook was hauled by 1510 & 7572 on the return on one trip.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Huddersfield used to have a daily return service to Kings Cross in Inter City days. Started at Halifax, picked up at Huddersfield and possibly Mirfield/Wakefield Kirkgate (it was a long time ago) before attaching to an ex Leeds/Bradford service at Doncaster. I used it on a couple of occasions back in the seventies.

And on retrieving an old notebook was hauled by 1510 & 7572 on the return on one trip.
There were also (long before my time) through carriages from Bradford Exchange to London St. Pancras Marylebone via Huddersfield and Penistone, though these predate the notion of "Intercity" as a brand or service group.

Last edited:

daodao

Established Member
There were also (long before my time) through carriages from Bradford Exchange to London St. Pancras via Huddersfield and Penistone
I thought that these trains ran to London (Marylebone) and first started following the opening of the GC London Extension. They were curtailed in 1960 when the GC main line was downgraded. From 1948-1960 one train was named the South Yorkshireman.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
I don’t think that Scunthorpe (population 81000) has ever had a proper InterCity service, but will be getting TransPennine Express loco hauled trains in the future.

david_g

Presumably you had the 47 from Kings Cross to Donny and then the 25 from there to Huddersfield/Halifax?
That would be right. Looks like we had 1576 from Donny on the outward trip but I can't see anything starred for the Huddersfield - Donny leg. February 1971, I was 13 at the time.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I thought that these trains ran to London (Marylebone) and first started following the opening of the GC London Extension. They were curtailed in 1960 when the GC main line was downgraded. From 1948-1960 one train was named the South Yorkshireman.
Of course, a schoolboy error on my part!

jfollows

Established Member

1974 timetable (Table 33) attached.
1A14 09:11 Huddersfield to King's Cross 13:03 (Wakefield Westgate call 09:46)
1L34 18:04 King's Cross to Huddersfield 21:23 (1L49 from Doncaster after split) (Wakefield Kirkgate call 20:52)

Attachments

• Table 33.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

urbophile

Established Member
I made that journey once as a teenager. Bizarre: almost empty train trundling through empty fields and finally entering London on the Metropolitan Line. I think it stopped at Harrow on the Hill which must have been a strange sight: a steam-hauled express amongst the commuters and red electric trains.

david_g

1L34 18:04 King's Cross to Huddersfield 21:23 (1L49 from Doncaster after split) (Wakefield Kirkgate call 20:52)
That would explain why I only have 1576 noted for haulage on the outward trip, probably from Westgate, not Donny. We were on a shedbash round Hither Green, Stewarts Lane & Stratford and would be wanting to arrive in London as early as possible so caught the train to Wakefield, changing there.

D365

Veteran Member
Haven't LNER, VTEC, EC and GNER all stopped at Finsbury Park at some point when there have been engineering possessions at Kings Cross?
Yes, but I wouldn't class that as a regular service.

TeeMarkM

By poulation Id say its Birkenhead followed by Southend.
Until 1967 through Class One expresses served Birkenhead from London Paddington, by extensions of the core Padd-Brum-Wolves service to Salop/ Chester/ Aberystwyth etc....
In the decades since then, I guess 'Birkenheadians' have either metro'd themselves across the water to Lime Street or driven to use railheads like Runcorn or Crewe for decent IC journey times anywhere.
By poulation Id say its Birkenhead followed by Southend.

Do London Boroughs count?
I'd say Greater London is counted as all one, as should City of Salford as that's within Manchester's built-up area. Greater London is continuously built-up to all intents and purposes, and has been for decades.
Large towns like Bury, Rochdale, and Oldham within 'Greater Manchester' arguably should count because they are distinct and separated by tracts of countryside.

Waterloo-Exeter was shown as an InterCity route on the earliest sector maps
As the question contains the word 'never', Salisbury can be discounted as LSWR/ SR/ BR(S) served it with proper express trains. Today's SWR service use outer suburban DMUs but they run as Class 1s albeit without the restaurant car, steam heating, compartments and horsehair-filled seat cushions:lol:

Last edited:

urbophile

Established Member
I'd say Greater London is counted as all one, as should City of Salford as that's within Manchester's built-up area. Greater London is continuously built-up to all intents and purposes, and has been for decades.
Large towns like Bury, Rochdale, and Oldham within 'Greater Manchester' arguably should count because they are distinct and separated by tracts of countryside.
In which case Birkenhead and at least the built-up areas of the Wirral should count as Liverpool. Admittedly they are separated by a wider river than that dividing north and south London, but otherwise they are one conurbation; and it is much quicker for residents of the Wirral tp reach Lime Street than it is for most Londoners to get to an appropriate London terminus.

MisterSheeps

Can you explain the routing of that train? the timetable shows 9:11 from Huddersfield, 9:30 from Leeds, unlikely to get between the 2 in 19 minutes with loco change, and there's no route from Huddersfield direct to Wakefield Westgate (since Osset closed) without reversal at Kirkgate

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Can you explain the routing of that train? the timetable shows 9:11 from Huddersfield, 9:30 from Leeds, unlikely to get between the 2 in 19 minutes with loco change, and there's no route from Huddersfield direct to Wakefield Westgate (since Osset closed) without reversal at Kirkgate
If my memory is correct it was routed via Wakefield Kirkgate where the loco ran round, reversed to Westgate and then attached to the rear of the 09.30 from Leeds.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
If my memory is correct it was routed via Wakefield Kirkgate where the loco ran round, reversed to Westgate and then attached to the rear of the 09.30 from Leeds.
Three reversals and still in West Yorkshire - Huddersfield, Kirkgate and Westgate! Perhaps a candidate for the most reversals in a journey.
Reserved seats facing or back to direction of travel? Facing from Halifax would prove to be back for most of the journey, facing from Huddersfield would only be back for the short trip up the hill in Wakefield - 'oh no it wouldn't', you would have to book 'back' from Hudd in order to be facing to Kirkgate and from Westgate as the facing and back would be in the direction of travel from Halifax!

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
Thank you also, I'd wondered that too and I don't have a working timetable from the period in my collection!

EDIT I should get a copy of the 1974 Huddersfield area working timetable in a couple of days, so I'll post up some details for these trains when I do.

Last edited:

MaidaVale

As mentioned previously by someone else, I don't believe Walsall (70,000 pop.) has ever had an intercity service (correct me if I'm wrong however)

Corby (around 65,000 pop.) in its 90s or current form has never received a proper intercity service I don't believe. It received regular meridian services for many years between 2008 and 2021 although they were essentially acting as long-distance trains on commuter (or at a push, regional) services. HSTs and Meridians served it to Melton Mowbray (and possibly still do) but I think this is just an extension of the 360 commuter services but using a meridian due to the lack of electrification, and of course those were(/are) extremely irregular. I wouldn't count any of those as a true intercity service, but your opinions may differ.

A S Leib

HSTs and Meridians served it to Melton Mowbray (and possibly still do) but I think this is just an extension of the 360 commuter services but using a meridian due to the lack of electrification, and of course those were(/are) extremely irregular. I wouldn't count any of those as a true intercity service, but your opinions may differ.
I'm fairly certain that until fairly recently one or two a day went to / from Derby, but that doesn't seem to currently be the case and definitely wasn't a frequent intercity service. It looks like intercity services are calling at Corby next weekend, but because of engineering works via Market Harborough.

Status
Not open for further replies.