• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Largest UK railway station to have a subway and/or footbridge but no lifts?

randyrippley

Established Member
Yeovil Junction is another big station without lifts, but again part of it is disused
But are you still allowed to use the barrow crossing? Or has that been restricted?

But if you go back the the original question: "What is the largest UK railway station to have a subway and/or footbridge connecting one or more platforms but no lifts?" it could be Preston?
That has a bridge and a subway, but AFAIK no publicly available lift

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
Rather depends on definition of largest station, eg Esher only uses 2 platforms, but has 2 more (disused) platforms with tracks and 3 closed race platforms.

Yeovil Junction is another big station without lifts, but again part of it is disused
I wasn't aware it had three closed race platforms. I guess those aren't required any more. I must look out for them.

I was thinking more in use platforms but I find examples like this interesting too.

Depends on how steep they are. To give two contrasting examples in the North East, the ramps at the fairly new Horden station are considered to provide level access, however the ramps at Northallerton were considered to be too steep and have now been replaced by lifts to each platform and new stairs where the old ramps were.
How steep were the Northallerton ramps compared to say East Croydon or Guildford?

Topological

But are you still allowed to use the barrow crossing? Or has that been restricted?

But if you go back the the original question: "What is the largest UK railway station to have a subway and/or footbridge connecting one or more platforms but no lifts?" it could be Preston?
That has a bridge and a subway, but AFAIK no publicly available lift
I think Preston has a lift route, possibly a former postal subway?

Platforms 1 and 2 do not have ramps, but the 3/4 and 5/6 islands both do. Platform 7 is accessible from the Fishergate Centre side, whilst the main entrance brings you directly onto 3 and 4.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Steeper than East Croydon. Can't remember how steep Guildford is.
I have used both so ideally should know which is steeper but my neurodiverse brain doesn't handle mental images so well. Thus I'm not sure.

I think Guildford might be steeper but don't quote me on it.

plugwash

Established Member
According to the Map on NRE, preston has a footbridge and two subways, one subway has ramps while the other has lifts.

It seems you have to use either stairs or a ramp to exit the station though.

class ep-09

Worcester Shrub Hill - over-bridge but no lifts or ramps .
Only way to get from P1 to P2 for a wheelchair / prams is over barrow crossing with platform staff assistance .

Topological

According to the Map on NRE, preston has a footbridge and two subways, one subway has ramps while the other has lifts.

It seems you have to use either stairs or a ramp to exit the station though.
Consistent with what I thought. The subway with the lifts feels very much like it is built for a different purpose though.

Given the terrain it is inevitable that there will be some ramping involved even if the actual exit was level. Within a few metres either side the ground level has changed.

Preston would benefit from a better bridge, especially how often busy trains use platforms 5 and 6, but that is for another thread.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
This is a bit of a moan of mine. I don't regard ramps as level access. I have a dodgy heart and walking up ramps is just as difficult for me as walking up stairs. Two stations with subway ramps that I struggle with are Ely and Barnham.
East Croydon's aren't very nice either.

spellbound330

I would say Elephant & Castle is one of the busiest stations in London. There is no step free access to either the mainline or underground station.

philthetube

Established Member
I think Preston has a lift route, possibly a former postal subway?

Platforms 1 and 2 do not have ramps, but the 3/4 and 5/6 islands both do. Platform 7 is accessible from the Fishergate Centre side, whilst the main entrance brings you directly onto 3 and 4.
to platforms 3/4 and 5/6 lifts at Preston, from subway in middle of platforms, I think there may be one to 1/2 but am not sure

randyrippley

Established Member
to platforms 3/4 and 5/6 lifts at Preston, from subway in middle of platforms, I think there may be one to 1/2 but am not sure
I thought the subway covered all seven platforms, without a lift.
If there is a lift then that's something else

Strathclyder

Established Member
Argyle Street station on the Glasgow Central low level line has escalators but no lifts. It must be one of the most recently built stations without level access.
And that's something that's not likely to change anytime soon, given how costly it would be to widen the tunnel chamber to enable a wider platform and therefore the installation of lifts; the foundations of the buildings above pose a significant headache.

philjo

Established Member
Both Ely and Oxenholme have subways accessed via a ramp without any lifts.