• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Mispronounced station names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
Far too many people pronounce Tyndrum as Tindrum.
.....and Corrour as Corr-ooer!
I’m now trying to work out how Allerton could be pronounced in more than one way (but then again the English language will never cease to amaze!).
The one in Bradford is pronounced "Ollerton", as in the market town in Nottinghamshire.

Asked some locals and apparently both OK actually
It's the anglicised spelling of the Gaelic "Taigh an Druim", meaning "house on the ridge"....and that is pronounced "Tyne drum".

fgwrich

Established Member
Years ago, when some South Wales services called at Slough, I heard it announced as Sluff!

Appropriate for the place!

Another very miss pronounced place is both St Budeaux in Plymouth (our control room in Birmingham had a lot of trouble pronouncing that one!) and Lostwithiel over in Cornwall. GWR's "ATOS Anne" had various issues in pronouncing that one, which I believe had to be re-recorded.

snowball

Established Member
No station but I wonder how to pronounce Lochmaben. If forced to guess I'd say Loch-muh-BEN but I suppose it could also be Loch-MAH-bun or Loch-MAY-bun.

Taunton

Established Member
Which is correct for the respective places!
[Meols] There used to be a porter at Liverpool Central (the old one) who made announcements, and was unsure of the pronunciation, despite having an obvious Scouser accent, and would always shout "... Moreton ... Mells - Meals ... Manor Road ...".

Caboose Class

The 331s can’t even pronounce Frizinghall correctly!

There’s also Fazakerley, commonly pronounced / known by locals as ‘Fazak’.
Back in the mid-60's the station master at Frizinghall was a resplendently dressed Indian gentleman, complete with huge white turban and a jacket full of railway pin badges. Every time a train pulled up at his station, he would proudly announce it as Fray-zhing-hal despite numerous attempts by us kids (our school was just up the road) that the correct pronunciation of his station was Fry-zing-hall.

alxndr

Established Member
How is St Denys near Southampton supposed to be pronounced? Is it Den-ies or Denis like the name?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
How is St Denys near Southampton supposed to be pronounced? Is it Den-ies or Denis like the name?
I'd always assumed it was neither- and that it was pronounced as if it were French, like the location of the Stade de France.

Yes we have had Slaithwaite. I will put forward Mytholmroyd and the non-rail served Barkisland (Barkis-land not Bark-island)
Mention of Barkisland brings to mind Burntisland in Scotland... I've always wondered if the S is silent in that case.

daodao

Established Member
Many place names beginning with "Al-" should be pronounced "Ol-", but often aren't by non-locals. Examples with railway stations include Altrincham, Alsager and Alderley Edge, all in Cheshire, but historically part of West Mercia, from where this pronunciation originates.

Class800

Established Member
.....and Corrour as Corr-ooer!

The one in Bradford is pronounced "Ollerton", as in the market town in Nottinghamshire.

It's the anglicised spelling of the Gaelic "Taigh an Druim", meaning "house on the ridge"....and that is pronounced "Tyne drum".
Historically it should be TYNE DRUM yes. Regarding Corrour, It is COR OUR. But in some Scottish accents OUR becomes OOR, like HOUSE becomes HOOSE, so the other way to say Corrour isn't wrong.

Springs Branch

Established Member
I wonder how Americans pronounce Derby?
Not just Americans - Australians can be guilty too. There's a town named Derby in Western Australia pronounced locally as Durby, and this seems to cause some complications when it comes to Aussies referring to the English city of Darby (or their soccer team).

It's not unknown for Americans to make a fatal error with British -burgh settlements (saying Burg as in Burger King) - "Gee, you're a Brit? I once had a great vacation in Edin-burg, England".

Bees ‘o the barn I’d have no idea how to pronounce.
I've never quite understood why so many people seem to have trouble with Besses, and the other not-so-far-away station Hall i' th' Wood.
Both seem quite straightforward to me if you just say them as they're written - especially if you bear in mind the letters the apostrophes replace.

I've made a few mental mispronunciations, based on studying maps of the rail network, which luckily I never needed to speak out loud (e.g. at a booking office window):-

- Burntisland in Fife - for some reason I thought was pronounced Burn-tis-land, until one of Portillo's trips took him to Burnt-island.

- Mytholmroyd on the Calder Valley line - I imagined was Myth-olm-royd (as in Greek myths and legends), until my lightbulb moment while on a Northern Sprinter where the guard was announcing the train's stops.

Yes we have had Slaithwaite. I will put forward Mytholmroyd and the non-rail served Barkisland (Barkis-land not Bark-island)

Mytholmroyd on the Calder Valley line - I imagined was Myth-olm-royd (as in Greek myths and legends), until my lightbulb moment while on a Northern Sprinter where the guard was announcing the train's stops.

I once heard a BR employee I knew pronounce it Myth-holm-royd. I've always known it as My-thuhm-royd.

LSW staff in parcels offices used to deliberatly mispronounce Wadebridge as Way-D-bridge when sorting parcels so they did not end up on the Weybridge train.

karlbbb

Already mentioned around the Liverpool area is Fazakerly (fa-ZAK-er-lee), and I think even the PIS systems on Merseyrail had the wrong pronunciation of "Maghull" and "Maghull North" recorded for a while (often said as "MAG-hull" for those unfamiliar, but is pronounced as "ma-GULL").

Established Member
Not a station, but I did once hear a guard's announcement welcoming passengers on board a 'Greater Angular' service!

Western Lord

What a pity that there are no stations called Cholmondeley or Featherstonehaugh (Chumley and Fanshaw respectively). We do have the previously mentioned Wymondham (Windum with first syllable the same as the meteorological term and Leominster (Lemster).
I suppose many pronunciations are just the word being spoken in a local accent, such as one of my childhood holiday haunts, Mousehole in Cornwall. Also in Cornwall is Launceston, which my mum and dad pronounced lawn-cess-ton, but is actually lawn-ston (although the one in Tasmania is lawn-cess-ton).

Fenchurch SP

Merstham was pronounced Mers-tham by the Class 700s when they were first introduced. The local Metrobuses used to call it Merstooom.

Status
Not open for further replies.