• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations where it is possible to get to another station from every platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

London Trains

Are there any examples where it is possible get from one station to another using every single platform at the origin. The frequency from certain platforms can be low but has to be at least 1tpd.

Obviously anything involving stations with one platform are not included. Anything that only works during disruption or diversions is also disallowed.

The only example I can think of is Horsham to London Victoria, where via Sutton services run from P1, via Gatwick services from P2, 1tpd via Sutton from P3 and some peak time services, some via Gatwick and some via Sutton from P4.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PG

Established Member
In theory Aberdeen to anywhere south can go from any of the operational platforms (3-7). I'm not certain if any services normally depart southwards from platform 7, maybe someone can confirm or deny?

lxfe_mxtterz

If I have understood the question correctly, then surely most - if not all - stations with two platforms at the end of lines would count? An example would be Buxton, where you can travel into Manchester from both Platform 1 and Platform 2, or Morecambe to Lancaster, again from both platforms.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I'm guessing the OP is ideally looking for the more sizable stations (rather than just two-platform termini) where all platforms have trains to a single place scheduled to depart from them over the course of a day, where it might otherwise seem unusual. An example may be say a four platform through station at which generally most trains may call at two of them in the up direction and the other two in the down direction most of the time, but perhaps once or twice a day a particular service uses one of the platforms trains travelling in the other direction normally call at.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Northampton: All 5 platforms are used for trains heading north on a regular basis.

Euston: All platforms, I would guess, have trains that call at Watford Junction.

Veteran Member
Waterloo to Clapham Jn, Charing Cross to Waterloo East/London Br, Cannon St to London Br.....

Frontera2

Stratford International springs to mind. Because of the "Circular" High speed services - being reintroduced on 7th September - you can get to St Pancras international from both platforms, either in 6 minutes or 2 3/4 hours!

SteveM70

Established Member
Manchester Victoria to the Calder valley from any platform. I presume it’s also possible from any platform onto the Stalyvegas line too

Llandudno

Established Member
New Mills Central, trains towards Manchester can depart from either of the two platforms

greyman42

Established Member
Not quite every platform, but from York you can get to Leeds from every platform except No.2.

robbeech

Established Member
Worksop has Nottingham services depart from both platforms. And there’s (in normal times) a couple of terminators that go back to Sheffield from the ‘wrong’ platform.

Stratford International uses all the platforms it uses for trains to St Pancras. (Some direct and some go the long way round)

Peter0124

Established Member
Newton (Lanark)? Possible to travel into Rutherglen / Glasgow Central from both platform 1 (direct) and platform 2 via the Hamilton Circle and Whifflet line

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm assuming stations with one platform (such as most branch termini, or indeed stations on single track lines) don't count? :)

One that springs to mind is that you can get to Bare Lane and Lancaster from both platforms at Morecambe, depending on whether the service terminates there or comes through from Heysham.

Statto

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly you can go anywhere south or east[Euston, Manchester Airport, Crewe, Stockport, Leeds via Guide Bridge, Glossop, Sheffield, ecc] from all 14 platforms

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Hounslow loop services go to Waterloo in both directions.

On the tube Circle Line services.

The Glasgow subway

Barn

Established Member
It's only half a station, but trains to/from the Woolwich line use all 9 Southeastern/Thameslink platforms at London Bridge.

KendalR

Pre-Covid when you had the hourly terminator in the bay at Blackburn you could get to Manchester Vic from all platforms.

Platforms 2, 3 and 4 for services via Bromley Cross and Platforms 1 and 2 via Todmorden.

route101

Established Member
Ive departed from every high level platform at Glasgow Central to East Kilbride

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Manchester Piccadilly you can go anywhere south or east[Euston, Manchester Airport, Crewe, Stockport, Leeds via Guide Bridge, Glossop, Sheffield, ecc] from all 14 platforms

Not in the timetable though.

My entry is Epsom to Clapham Junction. At least you could today.

route101

Established Member
No, i should said the high level. Old P13, now p15 when there was engineering works on some other platforms

Doomotron

If London is considered one big complex, I'm pretty sure Ashford International would count, the only problem being one of the Eurostar platforms which I don't think is used anymore.

Parallel

Established Member
In theory Aberdeen to anywhere south can go from any of the operational platforms (3-7). I'm not certain if any services normally depart southwards from platform 7, maybe someone can confirm or deny?

I've seen a train to Montrose departing from Platform 7 before so it does happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.