• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK face coverings discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
I live next door to a high school and was unlucky enough to pop out for my lunch today at the exact same time as the students, very few of who wore a mask walking through the local shopping centre which clearly mentions the enforced wearing of one, obviously all in very close proximity to each other too!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In schools, should kids not wearing face coverings be kept back at the end of lessons until those with face coverings, or wearing exemption lanyards, have left the room? Discuss!
That just seems like a very bad way to deal with things, and indicative of the way that people fill the vacuum of knowledge up with their own made up shonky rules.
I’m glad my children didn’t have to live through all of this when they were still at school.

Scotrail12

I live next door to a high school and was unlucky enough to pop out for my lunch today at the exact same time as the students, very few of who wore a mask walking through the local shopping centre which clearly mentions the enforced wearing of one, obviously all in very close proximity to each other too!

I've seen a lot of this on trains. I hate just blaming youth for things and I'm not a masktivist but it does really bug me that I have to follow the rules and they are clearly above them.

DB

I've seen a lot of this on trains. I hate just blaming youth for things and I'm not a masktivist but it does really bug me that I have to follow the rules and they are clearly above them.

The government plan to set people against each other is clearly working!

Direct your annoyance at the fools who introduced the whole mask thing, not at kids who are ignoring it.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I see Sadiq Khan is now calling for the government to mandate masks in all busy outdoor public spaces in London:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I see Sadiq Khan is now calling for the government to mandate masks in all busy outdoor public spaces in London:

Best not go to London then. Completely unnecessary; outdoor spread is negligible.

trebor79

Established Member

Be surprised if this came to pass. Firstly Boris will naturally flinch from anything Khan suggests. Secondly, despite the "hands face space" slogan I've noticed that there has been far less emphasis on masks from government figures. Even Whitty and Valance mentioned them only once on Monday.
I wonder if they've finally realised they do not help, but don't feel able to remove the mandate out of face saving considerations and to avoid hysteria from the Karens?

big_rig

Here is a video of his comments on this I have transcribed below. A pity as I like his transport policy but (unless he revises this) I cannot vote for him next year now based on this. That's me done.

I would say I'd like to see the evidence of how expanding masks has slowed the spread in any area he cites (if it has even happened which I don't think it has, weird) but I don't even care, it's just nonsense isn't it.

What we're keen to avoid is a second lockdown as we saw in March and April and we've come up with a package of measures, cross-party with various London leaders. Additional measures to slow down the spread of the virus, and basically learning the lessons of the north east, the north west and Birmingham. For example, reducing transmissions in the community, by having everyone wearing face masks not just in public transport and shops but other public spaces as well. In hospitality, for all staff as well as where possible for all customers to wear face coverings.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan wants to make face masks compulsory in all public places as part of a package of new measures to slow the spread of coronavirus in the capital. Khan held an emergency meeting with local council leaders and public health experts on Monday to agree on a new plan to reverse the surge in cases – but he needs sign off from the prime minister first. He said the measures include making everyone wear face coverings, not just on public transport and in shops, but in all public spaces and for staff in hospitality venues ‘where possible’. The mayor also reportedly wants restrictions on the number of those allowed to attend weddings and funerals. The mayor is also urging Londoners to work from home – going against No 10’s return to work message – and avoid public transport as much as possible, as he warned that ‘this virus is spreading exponentially across all age groups.’

initiation

obviously all in very close proximity to each other too!

The social distancing isn't really an issue as it is not practiced at school. If they are in a year 'bubble' then social distancing at lunch time seems pointless if 30 minutes later they are sat back in classrooms.

Wuffle

Regarding schools my wife and daughter work in one school, son and son in law in 2 different ones - masks are not mandatory and face shields are available - er that's it

philosopher

Established Member
Here is a video of his comments on this I have transcribed below. A pity as I like his transport policy but (unless he revises this) I cannot vote for him next year now based on this. That's me done.

I would say I'd like to see the evidence of how expanding masks has slowed the spread in any area he cites (if it has even happened which I don't think it has, weird) but I don't even care, it's just nonsense isn't it.

Face masks outdoors for me too is a step too far. I can understand the need for them in indoor spaces, though even here I suspect they only have a marginal role in reducing transmission (They don’t seem to have prevented the second waves across Europe). However outdoors the number of infections they prevent must be negligible. I reckon it may actually do more harm then good as many will just stay indoors depriving themselves of Vitamin D and exercise.

If he gets his way on this I too will probably not be voting for him next year.

initiation

BJ just announced that masks must be worn when not seated in restaurants and pubs. It could be worse but it is still dreadful.

johntea

Established Member
Staff in the hospitality and retail sectors will now need to wear them, as well as passengers travelling in taxis.

I feel sorry for the staff having to wear these all day every day! I’ve had enough after wearing one for an hour on a train...

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Staff in the hospitality and retail sectors will now need to wear them, as well as passengers travelling in taxis.

It was always untenable that retail people were somehow exempt.

Either they had to back down on the masks and admit they did them as theatre to try and make people fail safe, even if they have the opposite effect, or they had to force staff to wear them.

Ultimately it was always going to be the latter.

bramling

Veteran Member

I feel sorry for the staff having to wear these all day every day! I’ve had enough after wearing one for an hour on a train...

No mention of transport as far as I can tell (thank goodness).

BJames

Established Member
Well in my local this will consist of a maximum wearing time of about 15 seconds each way.....
When people get up after their meal or drink to leave they're not going to put their mask on. What are they going to do? Kick them out?

Domh245

Established Member
Well in my local this will consist of a maximum wearing time of about 15 seconds each way.....

That 15 seconds of walking each way should become: 20 seconds thorough hand sanitising, ~5 seconds correctly donning and adjusting mask, 15 seconds walking, ~5 seconds removing the mask and disposing of, 20 seconds of hand sanitising (again). Somehow I can't see it working out like that...

Bantamzen

Established Member
Even if you had the table furthest away your answer would be the same (and correct).

Yep, this one is just BoJo trying to outdo Sturgeon.

When people get up after their meal or drink to leave they're not going to put their mask on. What are they going to do? Kick them out?

Well my local pub is operating a tab system, sooooo.....

That 15 seconds of walking each way should become: 20 seconds thorough hand sanitising, ~5 seconds correctly donning and adjusting mask, 15 seconds walking, ~5 seconds removing the mask and disposing of, 20 seconds of hand sanitising (again). Somehow I can't see it working out like that...

It'll work out for a few days, then when the clipboard mafia get something new to box tick it will start to fall apart.

MikeWM

Established Member
'So, the more we introduce masks, the more infections go up'.
'Ah, clearly we need more masks!'

So, we're still following the French/Spanish/Irish model, then (though fortunately not as far as them, at least not yet). Pathetic.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
'So, the more we introduce masks, the more infections go up'.
'Ah, clearly we need more masks!'

So, we're still following the French/Spanish/Irish model, then (though fortunately not as far as them, at least not yet). Pathetic.

As mentioned above, Sadiq Khan is pushing for masks outside too. I fear that he'll probably get his way.

island

Veteran Member
The offence will be to enter or remain in a premises without wearing a face covering. If you are leaving, you are not entering or remaining.

MikeWM

Established Member
As mentioned above, Sadiq Khan is pushing for masks outside too. I fear that he'll probably get his way.

One of the most baffling things in all this is the way the government have decided to cave in to whatever Khan (and Sturgeon) have demanded.

Status
Not open for further replies.