• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Understanding Spotting and Enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
days, nly that but as I found out to my cost those slammers running on the Southern were death traps. I'm sorry but its true.

In truth, all MK 1's had the same structural characteristics as the Southern ones, including those from your trainspotting days, not to mention the vast majority of wooden bodied stock that preceded it (which was actually considerably weaker). Monocoque construction was, as I understand it, quite rare (though not unheard of) in the UK until BR started developing MK2's.

That said, in terms of character, I would gladly settle for a MK3 type body construction with phase 1 CIG type seating, layout and ventilation. In this respect, modern stock is undoubtedly worse.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member
How odd, it sounds as if you're trying to learn about some different kind of species or something! They're just people with an interest and that interest happens to be trains...next!

Thought you were more savvy than that, TDK! ;)

I saw a video of some spotters on a platform that may have been posted on this forum that made me wonder to be fair, it was something to do with a Thunderbird award! I am interested in why some of the enthusiasts do different things, I chat to a few of them and 99% of them are nice people but to me I just don't understand the attraction!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Bus spotting, train spotting, plane spotting, birdwatching or whatever I see no harm in it although it does attract a few ecentric types from my own observations.

I also get the impression that it is regarded as strange but as it is taking place in view of other people they are bound to be curious at times.

Some people just want to know what you are doing and are friendly then you get a few who just take the p*#s.

Whatever just enjoy it.

Now I used to go and photograph wildlife and wild birds in particular, I took this on as a challenge and I am a self confessed aviation enthusiast, I love aircraft and the engineering behind how they actually fly. Maybe I could compare the 3 and come up with a an answer
I now have an understanding to a certain degree:-

1. Why are enthusiasts excited by trains that spew out copious amounts of smoke and fumes when it is clearly bad for the environment?

Seeing and hearing a machine whether it is a car, train, plane etc. at full potential is better than seeing one poodling along

2. What is the attraction of steep gradients?

You get the above at these locations

3. Why do you dwell on the past?

It's a history thing, I like history and old photos of my home town to see what it used to be like

4. What is the point in being hauled by a different loco within the same class?

A challenge to be able to "red pen" the loco/unit

5. What is the attraction to the drivers sounding the horn and doing the up and down movement of ones arm?

It looks good on a video and adds some sound to maybe a boring video?

6. What is the attraction of travelling over a length of line for the first time in the dark?

Going somewhere you haven't been before (but it has to be better in daylight)

7. Why do you smile at a train when it pulls into a station even when it is a 153 and late?

The enthusiast isn't smiling, they have wind :)

8. What do you do will all the photos you take?

This is another collecting thing like different stamps I belive

9. Do you all use the terms hellfire and my lordz

Limited to the VEG

10. What is the reason for marking off train numbers in a book?

The excitement of searching for that last one that you haven't seen and marking it off

Now, for me, I can understand the attraction and will look on enthusiasts with a different view. However I cannot get excited over trains.

To answer a question:- Why do I work on the railway? Money and stability

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Unfortunately there has always been a minority yobbish element for many years, in terms of both bashers and photographers.
Isn't it all part of the "heritage" British Rail 1970s travel experience that the preserved railways are trying to deliver at a diesel gala? ;) A few lairy louts running up and down a tatty mark 1 carriage, chucking cans about and swearing profusely is a far more relevant and tangible historical depiction than some rose-tinted recreation of prim and proper Edwardian stations and pristine compartment stock, especially for a summer Saturday when the preserved lines do most of their trade. :p:lol:

Note that this comment is intended to be facetious, and, based on second hand chatter and examples, some of which have been shared on this forum, there really do seem to be some offensive and unpleasant characters displaying strange behaviours out there in the world of railway enthusiasm. Thankfully they are very much in the minority!

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I believe it refers to vegetables, as they don't move.

Also a VEP with some seating removed to create extra luggage space for Gatwick Airport diagrams in the 1970's (but perhaps not in this context!)

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Also a VEP with some seating removed to create extra luggage space for Gatwick Airport diagrams in the 1970's (but perhaps not in this context!)

Or had the VEP's survived today, a refurbished example that complies with modern safety standards with transverse seats and extra-wide walk-through gangway like the 378's...the "G" donating the widened Gangway boom boom...:lol:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Or had the VEP's survived today, a refurbished example that complies with modern safety standards with transverse seats and extra-wide walk-through gangway like the 378's...the "G" donating the widened Gangway boom boom...:lol:

But if they took away the vestibule, they'd have to get rid of the V. You'd just end up with an "EG" :lol:

TheJRB

Established Member
Seeing as everybody's answers are going to be different to varying degrees, I may as well have a go answering myself.

I would add firstly that "spotting" as such isn't my first interest. I place more interest in trying to understand the railway in all its ways. I also enjoy the photography aspect.

1. Why are enthusiasts excited by trains that spew out copious amounts of smoke and fumes when it is clearly bad for the environment?
I'm not particularly bothered about the type of traction. Steam, diesel, electric... I quite like all three to be honest. That said you can better hear when a steam or a diesel loco is working hard than you can with an electric.

Don't really see such an attraction personally. I was a little curious when I had my first ride over Lickey on a 170 but it turned out we were going downhill anyway! :lol:

I for one do not. I prefer to stay in the here and now. Not to say I don't find the history element interesting or that I don't like preserved railways, but I actually enjoy modern railways more. I think a lot of enthusiasts prefer the past because they see their favourite period of time as the "golden era" of railways. It is my opinion that such a "golden era" never really exists but if it does, it is one we are moving toward now.

So that you can travel on as many in the class as possible perhaps? More of a spotting thing I think.

5. What is the attraction to the drivers sounding the horn and doing the up and down movement of ones arm?
I think sounding the horn is sort of a way of acknowledging I'm there a bit like a wave or a 'hello'. I never do any silly gestures. The only way I'll move my hands if in the form of a wave to a passing driver from time to time!

6. What is the attraction of travelling over a length of line for the first time in the dark?
Don't see the attraction personally.

7. Why do you smile at a train when it pulls into a station even when it is a 153 and late?
Now I might be quite a smiley person but I don't just smile at every train that goes past! :lol:

I put them on Flickr. I understand not everybody likes endless photos of Electrostars and the like but I seem to have a reasonably sized audience and I think it's good to document the present because one day it'll be the past!

Never said such phrases in all of my life!

Now this one I've been encouraged to do by my grandfather. I'm also quite a mathematical person and I like excuses to keep lists and spreadsheets etc. I don't know if it's something I'd do if I hadn't been encouraged by my grandfather though!

I can understand being interested in the infrastructure and how it all works and also interested in the engineering of steam trains but the others to be fair I am at a loss what the attraction is. Please don't take this as a wee wee take I see a lot of spotters and am just trying to understand why they do it?
I don't suppose it does make a lot of sense to those who don't partake. It is a little bit irrational I guess. That said, I enjoy photography and that's how I got into railway enthusiasm really. That said, I don't just go out to take numbers, take photos etc. I also find pretty much all other aspects interesting and I do my best to know as much as I can.

As a member of staff in a buffet car said to me the other week, being a train enthusiast has got its perks. Seeing plenty of the country and getting out an about are good things to do. My sense of geography has increased dramatically since I've been interested in railways.

I know it's been mentioned that there's a link to autism. I have no such condition or indeed any other neurological disorders (aside from epilepsy but I've been seizure free since five and it doesn't have that sort of social effect anyway). I do have a tendency to be a little obsessive and to absorb as much information about things as possible though. I'm similar with politics and other interests I have too.

In other words, I prefer to enjoy all aspects of the railway than to just focus on numbers etc.

RPM

Established Member
I can't see where the passion is in football or fishing or whatever. But I don't need to. Different strokes for different folks. However, equally I don't see why an interest in railways is in any way more pitiful/inexplicable/risible/questionable than any other passtime.
OK, sometimes I am slightly embarrassed by the (for want of a better word) "creatures" that are attracted to platform ends, model railway exhibitions, etc. But doesn't every hobby have its fanatics? And there's really no harm done.

Nice to see a machine working hard. Environmental considerations are relative. Rail is far greener than most, clag notwithstanding.

Makes said machines work harder, etc.

Dwell? Appreciate yes. Not Dwell.

Completeness. Have you never wanted to complete a set?

Dunno really. Not my bag.

In the dark – no idea. I do like to cover new ground though.

Different strokes again. A 153 may be mundane to you but I rarely see them. Lateness is irellevant.

Enjoy them. Put them online (subject to quality control). Get them published. Use them for my own publicaton(s). Generate beer money. Get ****ed,

No idea. Not something I have any connection with.

Refer you to question 4. Not something I do any more, but don’t knock it

TDK

Established Member
One other thing I have noticed is that some enthusiasts, there is one that frequents Warrington BQ wear a bright orange jacket is this so the driver blows the horn on approach? Is it an intentional thing? (I think it is) and do you think it is right to do this, I have also observed spotters wearing HV vests and orange ones at that, do you think this is correct? I certainly do not as those local residents will not be happy with the horn being sounded ;)

Established Member
My take on the matter:
A bit controversial but I am trying to understand some of the actions of spotters and enthusiasts below is a list of observations from a rail staffs point of view who isn't a spotter:

They enjoy the noise, sounds etc. of hard working locos.

Same as 1.

I don't personally but the railways certainly seemed more varied 10 or 20 years ago compared to now, so if you were around then I could understand why you might. Personally, I tend to look forward because the railways aren't run for the sake of enthusiasts and nothing will stay forever.

Every loco is different in terms of sound etc., and it is always better to complete a set of anything, should it be football cards, stamps etc. etc.

I don't understand this at all - it's known as tone w@nk!ng in some circles.

Again, I don't know - I always cover new lines in daylight

I don't for 153s etc. - I have only done this, once I stress, with an HST which was subbing for a 222

I put them on Flickr (see my signature), share them on Facebook etc. etc. the rest I store and the less good ones are deleted.

Certainly not.

See 4.

I can understand being interested in the infrastructure and how it all works and also interested in the engineering of steam trains but the others to be fair I am at a loss what the attraction is. Please don't take this as a wee wee take I see a lot of spotters and am just trying to understand why they do it?

I'm more interested in the infrastructure and the operations side of things than trying to spot my last unit of a class.

One other thing I have noticed is that some enthusiasts, there is one that frequents Warrington BQ wear a bright orange jacket is this so the driver blows the horn on approach? Is it an intentional thing? (I think it is) and do you think it is right to do this, I have also observed spotters wearing HV vests and orange ones at that, do you think this is correct? I certainly do not as those local residents will not be happy with the horn being sounded ;)

I think that is ridiculous, and may I refer you to the Guidelines for Rail Enthusiasts which have this to say on the matter:
Rail Enthusiast Guidelines said:
Please do not:
Wear anything which is similar in colour to safety clothing, such as high-visibility jackets, as this could cause confusion to drivers and other railway employees

The official line is that it is not right to do this, and aside from anything else, it looks ridiculous.

StripeyNick

There is a chap in our area who wears a hi-viz and a hard hat when he's 'spotting'..................on a road bridge in the countryside! He also acknowledges all trains in quite an official manner. I think he used to work on the railways and I get the feeling it's a throwback to his old lineside training. But when stood on a bridge?!!
9. Do you all use the terms hellfire and my lordz?

First of all, in answer to questions 5 & 9, this seems to be something that the new crop of enthusiasts (youtube generation) are in to. I suspect they've got the arm thing from seeing people doing that to get truckers to blow their horns and so if they can get a train driver to do it, it makes their video a bit more interesting I guess. As for terms like 'hellfire' and 'my lordz', I think these are expressions that were around in the '70s/'80s and were used by the old diesel bashers but they seem to have been picked up again by the younger generation but as to why, who knows. To be fair though, I wouldn't discourage it as it's great that there are kids still showing an interest given the stick the hobby has had over the years.

As for the other questions,

1 & 2 for me are linked. Exhaust/clag in this day and age provide a visual of a loco working hard (or working at all) which from a photographer's point of view is needed with diesels and the steeper gradient can provide this. The steeper gradients also provide more interest from a noise point of view. I love hearing an engine working hard and making a fair bit of noise whether it be a class 37 on full power or a Mercedes 6.3litre V8 working hard under acceleration. It's all about the noise!

3, Rose tinted glasses? Most of us dwell on the past in many walks of life. It's not just an enthusiast thing. But with railways, for me, they aren't as interesting any more so it's nice to remember when it was. I think that's a bit of an odd question.

4, Although I'm not into this myself, plenty of folk will want to do it as a completion thing (and this links in to point 10). It's a collecting thing and is all about wanting to complete the set. It doesn't make you any more special once you've completed the set but it does give a feeling of satisfaction.

6, I don't see the attraction of this. If I'm going somewhere new, I want to see where I'm going.

7, Ummm, may be the smile is because it's one they've not seen before?

8, I put a fair amount of my photos on Flickr and share them on various forums. If I have anything noteworthy, I will send it to a magazine. Other than that, I enjoy looking back at them and remembering days out. Surely you could ask that for any photos???? www.flickr.com/photos/nickwilcock

At the end of the day, it's what we enjoy and for most people, it doesn't cause any harm (granted there are a few who spoil it for others). Everyone has different interests and some have no interests at all! I personally don;t understand the enthusiasm for travelling hundreds of miles to watch however many men kicking a football around for 90 minutes only come come home from a match with no score!!

I don't feel why there is the need to justify an interest when it is something that it is a bit out of the norm.

Last edited:

NLC1072

Thanks for that info. I have never fancied going anywhere where rail nutters may be present (even though I am a supporter of rail) and your posting has ensured I never will. Is it as bad for the kettles?

On the other hand, I went to a bus rally once... those people I saw actually scare me! (the "this is MY seat!" people)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'll never forget the first time I used Eurostar through the Channel Tunnel.
Excited Japanese types were photographing each other under the English Channel/La Manche, to prove they had done it. :roll:
It had to be exactly at the mid-point.
I suspect all that's changed in 20 years is that the photographers are now mostly Chinese...

I got interested in timetables/operation/infrastructure rather than motive power.
In particular, I'm interested in how we got the network we have today, good and bad.
I have now (after a recent final effort) travelled all the lines in the NR public timetable.
Only one of them was in the dark (Darlington-Bishop Auckland), because it was winter and I was short of time to complete the extant North Eastern Railway lines in one day.
Oh, forgot that I once travelled on the Marylebone-Manchester sleeper around 1964 when it was diverted via the GC route via Nottingham and Woodhead for the duration of the WCML electrification.
Also all in the dark! But I remember the change from Black 5 to EE 40 at Nottingham Victoria.
Something I won't be able to repeat.

Last edited:

Established Member

Shouldn't interfere with the operational railway. A couple of years ago there was a spotter at Stratford who thought he would help despatch Norwich trains. Had to explain while it was helpful to close the odd door, looking like he was giving right away was a no-no.

One thing that amuses me is the American slang for this sort of activity - a foamer. Some enthusiasts do exhibit rabid behaviour on occasions.

Last edited:

wheelnrail

I'll bite. From an outsider point of view...

Because with tighter regulations in both the US and UK and me not familiar with electric trains (from Colorado, not UK) seeing vast amounts of smoke and fumes gives us a brief window of what real railroading was, a dirty but efficient way of transport. Cleaner is better for your health, yes. We just like it for aesthetics.

Mainly the sound the engine makes. It's more exciting to see a, say, 66 going up a grade at low speed than it sitting idle at a station. Though how anyone can find a 66 exciting is beyond me.

Not dwell, but more appreciative of the past because that is what got us into this hobby. Less, what you guys call 'Elf n' Safety, a general friendlier environment, and people had common sense. Steam is a perfect example. It gives us who never had the fortune to witness them in regular everyday life, a window to how it was.

Could care less. Though I would rather ride a loco hauled sets than units if possible.

The horns here are bland in comparison to the US, so it doesn't matter if they sound them for me. I do see these railfans doing the one arm gesture, I know why they do it, it makes youtube videos more exciting. But thats not my thing.

Because that's the train that takes me home after a long day :)

Store them. If they're good enough i post them to flickr or Railpictures. But...there's only so many days when it's sunny in England...

Not in my lexicon, so I can't attest to saying that.

There's only so many units you can photograph before you start pulling your hair out. I never thought i'd do it, but it gives me another thing to do.

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
On the other hand, I went to a bus rally once... those people I saw actually scare me! (the "this is MY seat!" people)

I thought that was rail commuters!

On the subject of attempting to dress up as rail staff, it's much more common in other hobbies than railways. Go to a football match, and you'll find a load of people in the crowds wearing footballer's tops.... :lol:

Safety365

The only problem I have is that some enthusiasts who, especially on steam charters etc, put themselves and others' lives in danger by being too close to the edge of the platform or walking off the end to get "that photo". They are all falling over themselves and generally causing a nuisance (note I said some...). This gives a bad name to "spotting" and it is no wonder that some station staff can be a little jumpy.

Persons the wrong side of the yellow line can expect the full force of my horn.

Walk down the platform ramp and I'll be making an emergency call to the signaller to report trespasser(s) on the line, request the attendance of the police and request an emergency electrical switch off.

https://www.youtube.com/D8fasGcAi6Q

I don't normally mind them but as a sleeper train driver I really don't get getting out the train at 4am in your jammies and setting up a tripod. Meanwhile a very excited spotter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lutNECOZFw

"This is special"

No kidding... that's one term for it.

Woo... and indeed.. Hoo

hoffers

I enjoy railway photography, mostly locos, and note the numbers and workings to refer back to at a later date, something I regret not doing in the 80s.
I love being out in the fresh air capturing shots of these wonderful machines and see no wrong in it (plus it gets me away from the missus for a couple of hours!!)
The hobby does attract a certain 'geek' element but I don't class myself as one and everyone to their own. I have train driver mates who also share an interest in railways old & new, also railway modelling which is another of my hobbies.

Yes people do look down at 'spotters' but I don't give two f***s what they think. I'm certainly not into taking numbers of units or wagons but if people are then hey ho it's their choice.

I have notes of which locos I have been hauled by but I'm not fussed about tracking locos for haulage etc.

Oxfordblues

"Trainspotting" is indeed a derogatory term these days and even Michael Portillo gets ribbed on "This Week" every Thursday night for his Bradshaw-inspired rail travels.

But can anybody explain what on Earth is the point of standing in a rain-lashed grandstand watching a bunch of overpaid oafs kicking an inflated pig's bladder round a muddy field? "Football" I think they call it, but I really can't see what it's for.

(By the way, my anagram is Mr. D. Anorak)

Mark Doran

Monkey Magic

Sorry for digging up an old thread but what I would say is this - trainspotters are no more obsessive than any other person with a hobby. The difference is that it takes place in a public place where people see it.

Watch a car programme and you'll hear people talking about 'the burble of the V8' and who will tell you the difference between the 1990 model and the 1991 model.

If you watch gardening programmes there are people who are obsessed about one kind of plant, I've friends who take things ranging from Tango to Hillwalking, bird watching, fishing, dog shows, WW2 etc.

I've friends who will happily go to every home and away game of a season, and think nothing of travelling hundreds of miles in the middle of winter to stand in the cold and rain for 90 mins. They can also tell me who the reserve right back was in the 1974-75 season and what he is now doing in retirement.

There are people who will spend tons of money go to see opera in Italy, or seeing their favourite bands, they can also tell you about the difference between two versions of the same song, or tell you the difference between death metal and black metal.

The thing is that most of the people who are into those hobbies you are not likely to bump into them being obsessive about their obsessions when you are on your daily commute. They tend to be private or don't take place in public.

You are however, going to see trainspotters, bus-spotters, plane spotters etc when you go through your local station, bus station or airport. The Wagner obsessive? Well unless I go to Covent Garden on the night of a performance I am not going to meet them or be aware of their obsessiveness.

Now, for me, trainspotting (or interest in railways) it was something I used to do with my dad when I was a kid, I suspect it was a ploy to get me out of the house to give my mum an afternoon off. It was also something my grandfather (a man of few words was interested in). These days it is perhaps the only thing that he and I share as a common interest. He and I went up to York for the A4 thing which was interesting but all I can say is that the people there didn't do a very good job of refuting the stereotypes.

Last edited:

nuneatonmark

I grew up in a village next to the ECML and somehow the majesty of the deltics and curiosity of where the trains went, why some locos were on passenger trains and others on freight started me off. Although I got into the number taking it was, in the end, just a great excuse to travel the country with friends. As well as getting to know a lot about this country we also learned a lot of skills and learned to take responsibility and also a huge amount of fun. How many 15/16 year olds today would be able to spend the whole week around the west country on a rover ticket? We would disappear off into London, have spotting weekends going round Yorkshire, Scotland etc Nowadays the 'copping' is of little interest to me, it's more that I just love travelling and by train in particular.

Hartington

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned what I believe is called "gricing". As I understand it the term refers to travelling over all the lines you can. Then there are "micro gricers" who want to travel over every crossover etc. They want to get to the end of each platform/siding so they ride in the very front of the train. They record directionality, particularly of bi-directional track.

Minilad

Established Member
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned what I believe is called "gricing". As I understand it the term refers to travelling over all the lines you can. Then there are "micro gricers" who want to travel over every crossover etc. They want to get to the end of each platform/siding so they ride in the very front of the train. They record directionality, particularly of bi-directional track.

I think it's more commonly called track bashing these days

physics34

Established Member
Surely it's little different to most hobbies ?

Why do people go fishing - and then throw the fish back in ?

Why do people go to watch 11 men try to kick a ball between two posts ?

Why do people buy a telescope to gaze into the sky ?

I often think that fishing is as "sad" or as social awkward as trainspotting is, but anglers just dont get as much stick.

As far as I am concerned, i was always interested in the railway, and did a year of so "proper" spotting (with my platform 5 books), but because it was so "uncool" amongst my friends i gave up spotting and just did the usual thing in those days of just hanging around shopping centres! I still continued to buy a couple of railway mags and bought stuff for a model railway, but i always wanted to be one of the cool kids and train spotting is just not compatible with that!

I used to see the stereotypical spotter at stations.... the anorak, the thick glasses, the flask ,the bobble hat etc etc and i always felt like i didnt want to be "like them"!

Attachments

• WIN_20150518_220556 (2).JPG
    WIN_20150518_220556 (2).JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

satisnek

I think that the problem stems from sometime around 1990 when trainspotting/railway enthusiasm became 'denormalised' - Jasper Carrott has been mentioned in relation to this, but I'm not familiar with what he actually said. It quickly spread to many other hobbies (football and cars being notable exceptions), whereby anyone with interests other than basic animal instincts was deemed 'sad', an 'anorak' or one of those four-letter terms imported from the other side of the Atlantic.

Thankfully the tide appears to be turning and I do find the number of young people with an interest in today's multiple units on this forum very refreshing. But I wouldn't mind betting that there's a dearth of non-professional members in the 25-40 age bracket here (go on, prove me wrong :)).

Pigeon

I always understood "gricer" to be simply a synonym for "rail enthusiast", and "to grice" to mean "to perform an act of rail enthusiasm". The etymology of the term was always a cause of speculation. The hypothesis I liked best was that it was derived from people hanging around depots at 3am on a winter's night saying "griced it's cold, griced it's bleeding cold" :)

What you describe I would call track bashing - or to be really pedantic, travelling over lines = route bashing, collecting crossovers = track bashing.

Might as well answer the questions since they're here, although I haven't done this since the 80s so my perspective will probably be a bit out :)

It isn't really, it's only smoke; actual pollution is invisible as a rule (apart from that chimney near Bristol that used to belch nitrogen dioxide, but that wasn't on a railway...) But anyway, that consideration is irrelevant. The point is it makes a good spectacle. Like watching a rocket launch or a volcanic eruption.

Can't say it ever did much for me personally; I always viewed it as an indication that the engine was in poor condition and it made me want to give it a good service. It was the sound I liked. The body-shaking thunder of a Class 40 pulling away in a cutting between retaining walls...

Steep gradients = high power outputs at low speeds for extended periods, hence lots of engine noise without any "speed noise" to drown it out.

I don't think I did really. I do now, because it's all got crap. Trains these days are like those Japanese coffin hotels without the benefit of being asleep. A train journey on modern stock is a thing to be endured, whereas it used to be a source of enjoyment.

A railway-oriented manifestation of the widespread urge to collect things.

I never did this.

None. It's a waste of a journey. I want to do it in the daytime so I can watch the scenery go by.

I don't.

Pile 'em in a box in the spare room; occasionally look through them and enjoy the memories they bring while also thinking that they are mostly really crap photos.

I never used those; I did use "dreadful" (adj.) or "beast" (n.) to convey approval, and "rancid" (adj.) and "wagon" (n.) to convey the opposite.

I did find it amusing to see the mini graffiti war "50030 PLYMOUTH-EDINBURGH SHEER HELLRANCIDITY" on the wall of a Mk 1 toilet and think about how baffled most passengers would be by it.

I think that the problem stems from sometime around 1990 when trainspotting/railway enthusiasm became 'denormalised' - Jasper Carrott has been mentioned in relation to this, but I'm not familiar with what he actually said. It quickly spread to many other hobbies (football and cars being notable exceptions), whereby anyone with interests other than basic animal instincts was deemed 'sad', an 'anorak' or one of those four-letter terms imported from the other side of the Atlantic.

It's earlier than that; it definitely wasn't "cool" in the early 80s. But then neither were being interested in science and listening to music from the previous decade, and I didn't give a monkey's about that either :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.