• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vaccine Passports/Permanent restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAX54

Established Member
What's the alternative? No one books anything and all the airlines and holiday companies go bankrupt? I've not tried to book anything but I'd imagine the option to cancel or change dates exists in most cases. I wouldn't book without those options being available.
Got 3 booked :) 2 are from 2020 postponed, and the 3rd is in early 2022, however all of them can be changed at no cost.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthKent1989

Established Member
I don’t know is this is true but Italy and I think Spain have said all you’ll need is a negative on your test.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Got 3 booked :) 2 are from 2020 postponed, and the 3rd is in early 2022, however all of them can be changed at no cost.
I've redated my Eurostar tickets again (lost count how many times now) from late March to mid. There is only one round trip to Brussels. Hotels fully refundable. Not really expecting to be able to go. I'll redate again if required.

Gadget88

I've redated my Eurostar tickets again (lost count how many times now) from late March to mid. There is only one round trip to Brussels. Hotels fully refundable. Not really expecting to be able to go. I'll redate again if required.
I looked at Eurostar website until the summer seems no more than 1 groan per day? Not very good

Bikeman78

Established Member
I looked at Eurostar website until the summer seems no more than 1 groan per day? Not very good
To be fair there will be minimal demand until quaratine is dropped. I can just about accept 100 quid each way for a test but there's no point going anywhere if I have to quarantine for 10 days.

Gadget88

To be fair there will be minimal demand until quaratine is dropped. I can just about accept 100 quid each way for a test but there's no point going anywhere if I have to quarantine for 10 days.
Wasn’t all that dropped last summer? Surely travel will run more freely?

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Travel corridors were opened with specific countries whereby you were exempt from the quarantine requirement.

Rumour has it there was a dartboard in Downing Street that was used to select the countries on a weekly basis to be added/removed ;) :lol:

Eyersey468

Established Member
Travel corridors were opened with specific countries whereby you were exempt from the quarantine requirement.

Rumour has it there was a dartboard in Downing Street that was used to select the countries on a weekly basis to be added/removed ;) :lol:
That wouldn't surprise me at all to be honest, they seem to pluck restrictions out of a hat.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As stated before, I expect many countries will require passengers to be vaccinated or have a negative test to enter the country. We don't know what decisions will be taken by individual countries.

If you book anything, make sure rates are refundable or changeable

nlogax

Established Member
A return to Iceland has always been on my list of post-lockdown escape destinations. Looks like the rules have just been relaxed for non-Schengen travelers to restart trips there. Vaccines or antibody proof will be required.

https://www.icelandreview.com/travel/iceland-to-open-borders-to-all-vaccinated-travellers/

Iceland’s Justice Minister just announced that the country will open its borders to travellers from outside Europe who have been vaccinated against COVID-19. According to current regulations, Iceland’s borders are closed to all travellers outside the Schengen Area, EEA, EFTA, and EU, regardless of their vaccination status. Justice Minister Áslaug Arna Sigurbjörnsdóttir stated the change would take effect this week.

Áslaug announced the change following a cabinet meeting this morning. It could have a significant economic impact, as it opens the door to tourists from the United States, UK, and China, three of Iceland’s largest markets for tourism in recent years.

Travellers to Iceland from the Schengen Area, EEA, EFTA, and EU are exempt from quarantine and testing if they present a certificate confirming antibodies or COVID-19 vaccination. It is assumed the same would apply to vaccinated travellers arriving from outside Europe.

Gadget88

Not that I can see. This just brings us into line with visitors from Schengen and EU countries. Without a vaccination or antibodies any visitor entering Iceland requires a test and quarantine.
Interesting as Spain and others don’t require quarantining maybe they can’t afford to lose millions of visitors?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
P&O are now saying passengers must have proof of vaccination plus have insurance that will cover medical repatriation related to the virus. They will also be enforcing masks and distancing on board their ships on the round Britain cruises this summer - even though this appears to be after the government's planned date for ending restrictions:

P&O Cruises has said that anyone wanting to take its cruises around the British Isles this summer will need to be vaccinated first.
Travellers will have to prove that they have had two coronavirus jabs to take the trips which depart from June.

Carnival said that passengers wishing to board would have to have had both vaccination jabs at least a week before departure.

Guests will also have to have travel insurance that "must include medical and repatriation cover" and medical expenses related to Covid-19.
Guests and crew will be expected to respect social distancing rules and wear masks when appropriate.

takno

Established Member
P&O are now saying passengers must have proof of vaccination plus have insurance that will cover medical repatriation related to the virus. They will also be enforcing masks and distancing on board their ships on the round Britain cruises this summer - even though this appears to be after the government's planned date for ending restrictions:

Sounds like it could be a big farewell party for all the people who've thoroughly enjoyed all the restrictions. All aboard the SS Necessary and Proportionate for a thrilling cruise around nowhere very interesting. Passengers from the lower decks will be allowed up top to look sadly at the pool on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursday mornings

Bantamzen

Established Member
Sounds like it could be a big farewell party for all the people who've thoroughly enjoyed all the restrictions. All aboard the SS Necessary and Proportionate for a thrilling cruise around nowhere very interesting. Passengers from the lower decks will be allowed up top to look sadly at the pool on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursday mornings
Yeah, sounds like a right barrel of laughs. Come to the floating mask party, don't go near anyone, touch anything, and definitely don't enjoy anything. Meanwhile in Turkey, they are preparing to welcome visitors vaccine or not, test or no. I wonder where will be the more popular this summer?

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member

I wonder if all of the staff will have had two jabs by then too?

Edit: Turns out they won't. To compensate, they will be "tested regularly".

nlogax

Established Member
Yeah, sounds like a right barrel of laughs. Come to the floating mask party, don't go near anyone, touch anything, and definitely don't enjoy anything. Meanwhile in Turkey, they are preparing to welcome visitors vaccine or not, test or no. I wonder where will be the more popular this summer?

To be fair cruises sound like miserable experiences at the best of times.

Gadget88

I contacted Saga when they were doing this and they said people who can’t take the vaccine would be accepted if they can’t on medical grounds. It sounds like P&O won’t which is discrimination. Seems airlines are allowing negative results but the cruise liners seem to be a law to themselves why is this?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I contacted Saga when they were doing this and they said people who can’t take the vaccine would be accepted if they can’t on medical grounds. It sounds like P&O won’t which is discrimination.
Have you contacted P&O to confirm? I'm not sure how you can state that otherwise.
Seems airlines are allowing negative results but the cruise liners seem to be a law to themselves why is this?
I'm not sure why different companies catering to different markets doing different things is a surprise?

Gadget88

Have you contacted P&O to confirm? I'm not sure how you can state that otherwise.

I'm not sure why different companies catering to different markets doing different things is a surprise?
No I tried via social media but no reply but I will give them a call later. Often these articles don’t tell the full story. Any thoughts on what the trains might do if anything? We have seen cruises of vaccine only planes with passports and negative results. I’m a regular traveller on Eurostar I have no idea what they will do?

Update I can share this link

It states all people need vaccination which rules out families as vaccines are for over 18. Thoughts on this?

nlogax

Established Member
I’m a regular traveller on Eurostar I have no idea what they will do?
Eurostar are pretty clear with their advice for travellers and it's regularly updated.

https://www.eurostar.com/us-en/travel-info/service-information/coronavirus-and-eurostar-service

Coronavirus and Eurostar services – last updated 16 March 2021​

This page will be updated regularly to provide essential COVID-19 travel information regarding Eurostar. Please carefully check the latest official government information of your departure and arrival locations before travelling. Specific criteria and conditions apply to all travel, so please visit the government websites, or the ‘Travel to’ sections below.
IMPORTANT: Please make sure that your reason for travel is permitted by the country you’re visiting. Travel regulations may change at short notice, we advise all passengers to also check our Travel News page for the latest information.
ALL passengers are legally required to comply with the travel restrictions in place in our destination countries. Our teams are required by law to check COVID-19 travel documents and may refuse travel to any passengers not carrying the correct forms.

Darandio

Established Member

I think this is pretty clear. I assume in their case exemption means not able to have it.

What if I am exempt from the vaccine?

The sailings on Britannia and Iona will be for UK resident, Covid-19 vaccinated guests only.

Do children under 18 need to be vaccinated in order to travel?

Guests of all ages must meet the requirements of the Covid-19 vaccination policy.

However they do state that these protocols currently only apply to this range of UK coastal cruises.

All other P&O Cruises holidays currently on sale do not require guests to be vaccinated.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think this is pretty clear. I assume in their case exemption means not able to have it.

However they do state that these protocols currently only apply to this range of UK coastal cruises.
Thank you and extremely disappointing if that really is the case! I would not be surprised to see that amended before too long to add a 'unless medically exempt' provision along the lines of Saga.

Darandio

Established Member
Thank you and extremely disappointing if that really is the case! I would not be surprised to see that amended before too long to add a 'unless medically exempt' provision along the lines of Saga.

I'm not so sure they will to be honest. It's been asked countless times on social media this morning and they have taken the same line with every reply stating guests of all ages must meet the requirements of the COVID-19 vaccination policy regardless. They also claim it's due to the 'strong expressed preference' on the part of their guests.

Don't blame us, blame our customers!

Gadget88

I gave them a call and they think they can legally do it and they are in talks with the government. It’s for stay cation ones see only and only British allowed. Families are also banned so I disconnected the call.

Eurostar are pretty clear with their advice for travellers and it's regularly updated.

https://www.eurostar.com/us-en/travel-info/service-information/coronavirus-and-eurostar-service
But no doubt will have to use the Green passport if the EU bring this in today

LAX54

Established Member
So according to the news.....
The aim is to enable anyone vaccinated against Covid-19, or who has tested negative or recently recovered from the virus to travel within the EU.
The 27 member states will decide how to use the new digital certificate.

but will that be for those that have had 1 jab, or will you need both jabs ?

kristiang85

Established Member
So according to the news.....
The aim is to enable anyone vaccinated against Covid-19, or who has tested negative or recently recovered from the virus to travel within the EU.
The 27 member states will decide how to use the new digital certificate.

but will that be for those that have had 1 jab, or will you need both jabs ?

How would you prove you have 'recently recovered'? If you have a positive test with no symptoms and then subsequently test negative, I wouldn't call that recovering from the illness personally.

Or is that just a ham fisted way of saying testing positive for antibodies?

Bantamzen

Established Member
How would you prove you have 'recently recovered'? If you have a positive test with no symptoms and then subsequently test negative, I wouldn't call that recovering from the illness personally.

Or is that just a ham fisted way of saying testing positive for antibodies?
This system has the potential to get very messy. As you say the "recently recovered" is vague, is it a set number of weeks after confirmed infection, antibody detection (which will vary from person to person) or something else again? Then there's the issue of the type of vaccine administered, if the EU is concerned about the effectiveness of one or more could they be excluded or require additional tests? And what about the medium / long term, will they require boosters, what sort of times would be accepted?

I could go on but you get the message. In the rush to be seen to be doing something, they could be storing up all sorts of issues. Meanwhile at least one country on the edge of the EU, with a similar climate to at least a couple of members & well placed to soak up new demand is lining up UK tourists without the need to vaccine passports or negative results. The EU wants to be careful, like the botched vaccination gesturing the EU might be causing more problems than it solves.

Status
Not open for further replies.