• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vaccine Passports/Permanent restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
You visit a pub then a recent negative test is needed, similar to I.D. If you want to go regularly then you'll need to be tested a minimum twice a week at your own expense. School kids have to do it.
No they do not, it is completely voluntary (although I believe take-up is rather high)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
If people reject the vaccine and still want to enter work or visit places that want you to have had one then an alternative is what's going on at schools. But they pay for Covid tests and need to provide a negative one prior to attending or visiting.

You visit a pub then a recent negative test is needed, similar to I.D. If you want to go regularly then you'll need to be tested a minimum twice a week at your own expense. School kids have to do it.
And what exactly will all this authoritarian nonsense achieve?

Bantamzen

Established Member
If people reject the vaccine and still want to enter work or visit places that want you to have had one then an alternative is what's going on at schools. But they pay for Covid tests and need to provide a negative one prior to attending or visiting.

Maybe as an addition we armed forces on hand to eliminate anyone not compliant, you know to make an example of them?

Seriously, just exactly what are you hoping to achieve save lining the pockets of the companies producing the tests?

PTSNEEDED2021

On Moderation
No they do not, it is completely voluntary (although I believe take-up is rather high)
Kids in Welsh schools are tested twice a week. The results are in within a short time. It's pretty effective as Football and Rugby has shown regular testing can be effective. There has been limited outbreaks and by and large they are among the least likely to suffer from Covid. But it's allowed it to carry on at an elite level. Its an example of how testing can work, combined with high vaccine uptake it will bring restrictions to an end sooner. If travel and travel insurance insists on both/either, then sooner rather than later those not wanting a vaccine are going to take it just to improve there own life. In life we all have to take little risks and do things we don't like to enjoy ourselves.
I can see if a twice a week testing plus mandatory facemasks for those without a vaccine would prompt those who currently can't be bothered with a jab. Invariably those in the pub with a printed out '' Dont wear mask'' badge are also reluctant to have a jab, they are also the most put out with pubs being closed. They want all the restrictions lifted but are unwilling to partake in measures to get them removed.
Its also the same who won't wear a mask due to breathing problems who then stand outside with a fag in there mouth. I wear a mask to protect them.

PTSNEEDED2021

On Moderation
And what exactly will all this authoritarian nonsense achieve?
You take it or take the consequences fair by me. Stuff all this liberty rubbish if you aren't willing to do anything to help the country and the world out of this then you face restrictions yourself.
The vaccines harmless, Covid isn't you won't think of others then why should you be allowed to harm them. You will wear a mask, you will need to prove your not carrying covid, you enter my pub you show me proof of vaccine or a recent negative test, it's at the landlords discretion to allow you in. It's like you say my own choice.

No you don't....
Yes I do its to stop me potentially passing on the virus, the mask does not stop me catching it. It's to try and stop it spreading.

Bantamzen

Established Member
You take it or take the consequences fair by me. Stuff all this liberty bollokcs if you aren't willing to do anything to help the country and the world out of this then you face restrictions yourself.
The vaccines harmless, Covid isn't you won't think of others then why should you be allowed to harm them. You will wear a mask, you will need to prove your not carrying covid, you enter my pub you show me proof of vaccine or a recent negative test, it's at the landlords discretion to allow you in. It's like you say my own choice.
Even though I have had my first, I would quite happily boycott any pub with a landlord acting the way you propose. Hopefully any that try to be so authoritarian go out of business.

Yes I do its to stop me potentially passing on the virus, the mask does not stop me catching it. It's to try and stop it spreading.
No you don't, because as has been discussed to death on these forums, there is no proof that masks work in the way you think they do in public settings. Therefore you are wearing because you think they might work or because you are being told to.

Yew

Established Member
You take it or take the consequences fair by me. Stuff all this liberty bollokcs if you aren't willing to do anything to help the country and the world out of this then you face restrictions yourself.
And you have to prove that this will do anything in the real world.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
You will wear a mask, you will need to prove your not carrying covid, you enter my pub you show me proof of vaccine or a recent negative test, it's at the landlords discretion to allow you in. Don't like it tough titty. It's like the you say my my own choice.
Do I need to prove I am not carrying the flu or other viruses that we vaccinate against? Why is covid any different? Why did I not need to do this last year when pubs were open without a requirement for face coverings or testing negative?

You seem to be intent on turning the UK into some sort of authoritarian regime. If that tickles your fancy, unfortunately (if you haven't noticed already) the UK population won't tolerate it. There are other countries worldwide that may suit you better.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Maybe as an addition we armed forces on hand to eliminate anyone not compliant, you know to make an example of them?

Ah good news on that front! The Government have announced further defence cuts so I wouldn't really worry about there being many members of the armed forces on hand to carry out such example making activities!

Scotrail12

You take it or take the consequences fair by me. Stuff all this liberty rubbish if you aren't willing to do anything to help the country and the world out of this then you face restrictions yourself.
Liberties certainly ain't "rubbish"! If you don't value them, that's a real shame but don't try to pass that attitude onto everyone else.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Flu is understood and isn't offered to everyone. The Covid jab is to help the country it may safe your parents life, just think you've refused the vaccince there in hospital in a ward where patients cannot get a vaccine, you pass it to them while visiting, cheers mate you selfish arse. You cant get much more authoritarian than a country being locked down, more freedom is one of the goals of the vaccine. You appear to enjoy being stuck at home all day with nowhere to go or do. Apart from searching the internet for crap excuses to do as little as possible.
There is a group who aren't keen on the vaccine and that's the ''not want to be employed''. The Government were ramping up the requirements to for Jobseekers to claim which included proof they are looking for work.
Covid's given them a boost in benefits income and less pressure from the job centre to look and prove they are looking for work. Being forced to do nothing all day for a whole year is like a dream come true, only downside is the extra benefit money cannot be spent in Wetherspoons.
It seems to me that you have a few axes to grind. Before ranting about some of the responses you are getting, you might want to take a bit of time to read through some of the threads on the subject. You will discover many reasons why some of us don't feel the same way as you do.

PTSNEEDED2021

On Moderation
Liberties certainly ain't "rubbish"! If you don't value them, that's a real shame but don't try to pass to onto everyone else.
How's your liberty been during lockdown? Wouldn't an opportunity to release business to trade and people to go back to work, travel and attend and visit places more than five miles away, travelling without being approached by police to prove your reasons for being on a train allow me to enjoy more liberty.
The prevention of passing covid around is one of the best ways to liberate the public, not by prolonging it and enduring a longer lockdown

It seems to me that you have a few axes to grind. Before ranting about some of the responses you are getting, you might want to take a bit of time to read through some of the threads on the subject. You will discover many reasons why some of us don't feel the same way as you do.
It looks like to many of you have far too much time on your hands, considering the amount of waffle you read and post, lockdowns do that.

DustyBin

Established Member
How's your liberty been during lockdown? Wouldn't an opportunity to release business to trade and people to go back to work, travel and attend and visit places more than five miles away, travelling without being approached by police to prove your reasons for being on a train allow me to enjoy more liberty.
The prevention of passing covid around is one of the best ways to liberate the public, not by prolonging it and enduring a longer lockdown

It looks like to many of you have far too much time on your hands, considering the amount of waffle you read and post, lockdowns do that.

So your response to coercion is to capitulate? And next time? And the time after that?

You seem awfully keen to join the conversation, considering we post waffle!

jumble

Who do you imagine is going to administer these tests and who do you think is going to pay for them?
I take it you unaware that staff in Doctors surgeries and I suspect Teachers do the tests them selves and then upload to a website on an honour system so any "proof" of a negative test is completely meaningless and could well be counter productive.
I imagine some people would be quite prepared to lie when asked for such proof by pub companies who should mind their own business and who would blame them.
In general I do not much like companies with whom I am spending money telling me what to do.
Just for context I am not antivax, but and am having it today but have decided to do so because I think it is the right thing to do and not because someone has treated me like am 12

Last edited:

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Oh dear. https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1374762676702875655
Boris Johnson says the “concept of vaccine certification should not be totally alien to us”

How far we have travelled how fast

He goes on to say that it might be up to individual pub landlords to decide whether they require vaccine passports.

Review underway in government at the moment

Johnson says there is a "national conversation" about this

Yew

Established Member
I take it your fine spreading it, sums you up really no wonder Boris and Trump are so popular. Why do you reject scientists?
Now that the vulnerable are vaccinated, no issue whatsoever with it spreading, indeed, many esteemed epidemiological professors recommended that we protect the vulnerable and let it spread. Even Prof Mark Woolhous thought that after the summer, we'd find a more targeted measure rather than resorting to barbaric lockdowns based on poor to no evidence.
The best way to restore liberty is to do exactly that, the vulnerable are vaccinated, the rest of us are at no risk. What are we waiting for? Even the most pessimistic models suggest that releasing all restrictions now wouldn't overwhelm the health services. We're not on a crusade against death, we've got a country to run and lives to lead.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

kristiang85

Established Member

So Zahawi was telling a pack of lies then?

Mr Zahawi said the focus should be on vaccinating as many adults as possible.

"We are not looking at a vaccine passport for our domestic economy. I think it’s much better to vaccinate the whole of the adult population, offer the vaccine to them as quickly as possible by September and the link to that is our testing programme both in terms of surge testing, rapid testing and isolation, but also the lateral flow tests and the rapid test," he said.

duncanp

Established Member

I can't help wonder if Boris Johnson has just floated this idea just to see what the public reaction will be.

It will be a lot of hassle for pub landlords and staff - what would they accept as proof of vaccination, and how wasy would such proof be to forge?

And is the hospitality industry really going to voluntarily exclude a substantial proportion of the population when they reopen after having been closed for more than six months? They are suffering a serious loss of revenue, and just cannot afford to do so.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I can't help wonder if Boris Johnson has just floated this idea just to see what the public reaction will be.

It will be a lot of hassle for pub landlords and staff - what would they accept as proof of vaccination, and how wasy would such proof be to forge?

And is the hospitality industry really going to voluntarily exclude a substantial proportion of the population when they reopen after having been closed for more than six months? They are suffering a serious loss of revenue, and just cannot afford to do so.
That depends - I could easily imagine the government removing social distancing in pubs which had a certificate system, but enforcing it in pubs which didn't. I doubt they will but you can imagine the government trying to create those sorts of incentives.

duncanp

Established Member
That depends - I could easily imagine the government removing social distancing in pubs which had a certificate system, but enforcing it in pubs which didn't. I doubt they will but you can imagine the government trying to create those sorts of incentives.

Possibly, but I cannot imagine that the hospitality industry would voluntarily comply with a measure that would mean they have to turn large numbers of people away.

I would imagine that people like Tim Martin of Wetherspoons would be very vocal in his opposition to such a plan. Whatever you might think of Tim Martin, as soon as one or more of the major pub chains announces that they are not going to implement a vaccine passport system, many independent pubs are likely to follow suit.

In any case, social distancing is supposedly going to be abolished after June 21st, so removing social distancing in pubs which had a certificate system but enforcing it in pubs which didn't, would only be a short term measure.

This is before you consider the possibility of a court case from someone who cannot have the vaccine on medical grounds connected with a disability, who can then sue under the Equality Act 2010.

Jamiescott1

Boris stated today that he still hopes restrictions can end on June 21st.
10 minutes later he said something along the lines of it will be difficult for the arts to get going in autumn or winter

Dent

This is before you consider the possibility of a court case from someone who cannot have the vaccine on medical grounds connected with a disability, who can then sue under the Equality Act 2010.

Or indeed from someone whose age group has not yet been offered the vaccination, this is indirect age discrimination under the same act. With pubs opening in May but the vaccination not expected to reach all adults until the end of July this is likely to be quite a lot of people being discriminated against.

LowLevel

Established Member
I'd fake a vaccine card to go to the pub rather than stomach trawling anyone who wants to come into my workplace on their own terms around the countryside all day to not be allowed to do anything in my own time :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.