• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Varamis Rail Given Operators Licence from ORR

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I know there was great scepticism about this project when first announced (maybe with just cause from previous such small scale operations) and certainly the approach( for example on social media, comes across as “quirky” to say the least. But in a world of DfT and some big corporates seeking, or so it would seem, to be throttling the potential for the industry to thrive - I find the fact they have made a success of it very refreshing and hopeful. I do think there is huge potential for climate conscious parcel and freight transport.

Good on them.
Totally agree. And there is only one thing that puzzles me. ROG promised 100mph parcels trains using sme bimode multiple units, and I saw a Mossend - Hams Hall schedule in TOPS last year, reversing and raising / lowering the pans at Nuneaton. Why is it the ROG / Orion units are rusting away in East Midlands despite being able to get right into the Hams Hall complex, whereas Varamis presumably have to truck their cargoto and from Birmingham International.

I tip my hat to Varamis

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Speed43125

Totally agree. And there is only one thing that puzzles me. ROG promised 100mph parcels trains using sme bimode multiple units, and I saw a Mossend - Hams Hall schedule in TOPS last year, reversing and raising / lowering the pans at Nuneaton. Why is it the ROG / Orion units are rusting away in East Midlands despite being able to get right into the Hams Hall complex, whereas Varamis presumably have to truck their cargoto and from Birmingham International.

I tip my hat to Varamis
At the time IIIRC it was said ROG didn't think it was profitable running trains with 4 coaches, they reckoned they needed 8 car trains to make it profitable. Obviously Varmis have operated with just a single 321 for most of this time, so perhaps we can suggest they have either lower operating overheads, or were able to attract better paying work, or were willing to hold out unprofitable services as a loss leader for longer, or a combination. Are they better able to access grants and under government incentives as a startup than ROG were perhaps? The Times article references roughly £460k they were granted by the DfT, maybe this, or different arrangements with NwR enabled different overheads. I don't know if anyone is in a position to comment on track access charges for instance?

Either way, as you say, its very impressive, and perhaps equally ambitious they're suggesting Hitachi 80x units.*

*I'm sure the speculation for x toc cascading 5 car units to them in lieu of new build 9/11 car units will commence shortly...

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I just noticed a curiosity about the proposed extension of the Varamis service from Birmingham International to London.
There’s a path into PRDC with a scheduled arrival at 01:04, which is there on weekdays. No train has run in that slot thus far.
But on 13th March, there’s a path at 01:16 to London Liverpool Street (!), arriving into Platform 12, coming back into PRDC at 05:32.

Between those times, the regular service from Low Fell Royal Mail Terminal (operated by DB Cargo) comes in, and is offloaded by RM staff.

I’m thinking that this 5Z00 path is to stable the Varamis train somewhere for a few hours? This shouldn’t be necessary, though, as there are two platforms in regular use at PRDC, and Platform 3 can be (and often is) used for stabling of other Class 325 units and the occasional loco (can’t remember which Class).

Varamis now posting on X about a forthcoming service from London Liverpool Street…

Last edited:

jagardner1984

Varamis now posting on X about a forthcoming service from London Liverpool Street…

Further defying the odds if they can pull this off - but can anyone think of why parcel handling wouldn’t be done from Euston, which overnight access is already in place for the sleeper ? Surely the route from PRDC to Liverpool Street is much more complex, and susceptible to overnight engineering works and possessions than the short hop down the line to EUS ?

dk1

Veteran Member
Further defying the odds if they can pull this off - but can anyone think of why parcel handling wouldn’t be done from Euston, which overnight access is already in place for the sleeper ? Surely the route from PRDC to Liverpool Street is much more complex, and susceptible to overnight engineering works and possessions than the short hop down the line to EUS ?

I’m wondering if they’ll use platforms 16/17 which see very little use these days.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
And now a fourth is announced on X, being 321 428.

In answer to a question about expanding its network it replies “London in March ”
And Richard Clinnick on Twitter is reporting another (I make it the fifth) has joined the fleet - 321 440, reposted by Varamis, so I guess it's accurate!

https://twitter.com/Clinnick1/status/1762079541453804006

321440 is the latest to join the @RailVaramis fleet. Along with other 321s used by the operator, it’s in the VRMU pool.

D365

Veteran Member
Did I read somewhere that Varamis has acquired ten Class 321s in total? (fully acquired and not just leasing from Eversholt)

james_the_xv

Varamis 5Z14 Rugely - Rugby D.E.D Via Stechford looks like it's having an issue between Coventry and Rugby. Driver on a train waiting to depart new street says it is proceeding at 3mph.

Last edited:

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Varamis now posting on LinkedIn of a launch event at Platform 11 at London Liverpool Street:

Join us for the grand opening event of Varamis Rail, a revolutionary approach to electric rail logistics for middle-mile transportation. The event will take place on the 13th of March, and we invite influential individuals interested in Varamis Rail Freight deliveries to attend. Please share and spread the word. Together, let's achieve a cleaner, faster, and more efficient future: Speed: Our 100mph electric trains significantly reduce delivery times by bypassing congestion, ensuring your goods arrive faster than ever. Cost Savings: Electric power offers stable costs, saving you money and boosting your bottom line. Green Credentials: Varamis Rail is committed to sustainability, reducing your environmental impact and improving your ESG score. Network Advantage: Leveraging existing rail infrastructure to eliminate the need for costly new construction, maximizing efficiency. Seamless Integration: Our services seamlessly integrate with your existing supply chain, ensuring a smooth transition to the future of logistics. Join the green revolution with Varamis Rail – contact us today and discover how we can transform your supply chain. Visit https://www.varamis.co.uk/

Attachments

• IMG_5164.jpeg
    IMG_5164.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 62

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I'm not entirely convinced by the assertion that electric power offers stable costs, given that a few months ago we say the freight operators withdraw their electric locos because the electricity costs had rocketed. But all power to them (if you pardon the pun) - I hope their expansion is s great success.

Iskra

Established Member
I'm not entirely convinced by the assertion that electric power offers stable costs, given that a few months ago we say the freight operators withdraw their electric locos because the electricity costs had rocketed. But all power to them (if you pardon the pun) - I hope their expansion is s great success.
I agree to an extent, but presumably an EMU full of parcels is lighter and more efficient than a locomotive hauled freight train, so it is possibly a little more relevant a statement for Varamis. Presumably they save costs on lack of traditional shunting and additional paths associated with light-engines and running-around. 325’s have kept going haven’t they.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Nice pun :D
I would like to see them successful, and if they do run into and out of the Royal Mail distribution centre at Willesden (PRDC), they’ll get the stamp of approval from me!

Part of the issue is the central contract for traction electricity from Network Rail.

If Veramis were able to source their electricity independently there are times, and quite a few, where the electricity suppliers pay users to use electricity. This would and should make traction power more affordable.

Have a look at Octupus Agile if you don't believe me.
Also many Octupus users in general have had free electricity in the Kent and Norfolk areas a few times this winter when there has been excess electric in the grid.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Have a look at Octupus Agile if you don't believe me.
Also many Octupus users in general have had free electricity in the Kent and Norfolk areas a few times this winter when there has been excess electric in the grid.
I’m aware of that, but that’s a retail offering, and unless anyone knows otherwise I would imagine Varamis is tied to Network Rail’s contract.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Notably, Varamis are not proposing to ru services in those areas…

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I just noticed two new paths to and from Liverpool Street on March 13th, that seem to be for Varamis Rail’s showcasing event… from and to PRDC

Peddles88

Does anyone know what's happening with 321341 at Crewe? It's been stabled in the siding for a long time.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Looks like Varamis made it to Rugby late last night

In preparation for a run to PRDC this lunchtime…

Ironically, this looks very much like the path the Orion Logistics train used in the past. The booked arrival time of 13:03 looks familiar

Trainbike46

Established Member
There have been a lot of announcements of Varamis acquiring new units recently - how many do they have now?

Also, what are there routes at this point? obviously there is:
- Mossend/Glasgow - Birmingham International
- London Liverpool Street - ???
- Birmingham International - Willesden PRDC
- Any others?

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
There have been a lot of announcements of Varamis acquiring new units recently - how many do they have now?

Also, what are there routes at this point? obviously there is:
- Mossend/Glasgow - Birmingham International
- London Liverpool Street - ???
- Birmingham International - Willesden PRDC
- Any others?
Talking to a DB Cargo driver today, he said Varamis have 6 units. I thought it was 5 ?

Brush 4

Good for him, that gives him more control over the operations. Nice to see a forward looking entrepreneur showing how the railway should operate and help push the green agenda. Lorries need to be the final link in the journey, not the whole journey. Eliminating locos must offer big savings as well.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Good for him, that gives him more control over the operations. Nice to see a forward looking entrepreneur showing how the railway should operate and help push the green agenda.

Lorries need to be the final link in the journey, not the whole journey.
I agree with you.
Eliminating locos must offer big savings as well.
In most circumstances, however, if the OLE is out of volts you need something to rescue you. Provided Varamis is successful and builds trust then maybe new build units with a "get you home" powerpack under one car might be a solution. They have certainly helped LNER out of some holes with class 801s. I recall an OLE incident at Wakefield Westgate where the 801 had to continue to Leeds using it's single GU. It didn't lose any time either.