• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains East Coast launch day

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaJaWa

Established Member
Well I have seen the mock up for the new livery and well... It is going to put the Virgin fan boys in a bit of a tis. It's striking to say the least.

But your have to wait till 02/03/15 to find out.

Suppose it's different to this then, which is pretty similar to West Coast...

Attachments

• 2014-11-27-003.jpg
    2014-11-27-003.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 279
  • 2014-11-27-098.jpg
    2014-11-27-098.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 244
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Suraggu

Suppose it's different to this then, which is pretty similar to West Coast...

That isn't the class 91 or HST mockup as I found out yesterday. What I saw my jaw dropped. That's the first time a livery has made me go :o.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
One thing I'm wondering is I know 91103 is at Bounds Green being done up in the new livery as VT Creative Director has leaked teasing photos on Twitter however is it likely to just be the Class 91 done up OR will they do a full MK4 set plus DVT as well?

Your have to wait and see.

Starmill

Veteran Member
What I saw my jaw dropped. That's the first time a livery has made me go :o.

It will sure take some pretty special bloody paint to drop the jaws of some people on here :p
I would have called it 'VIRGIN WEST ONLY' myself.

Or even VIRGIN WC ONLY. VTWC TRNS ONLY is daft, it has the word 'Trains' twice.

Joshrowlands

That isn't the class 91 or HST mockup as I found out yesterday. What I saw my jaw dropped. That's the first time a livery has made me go :o.

Your have to wait and see.

How did you manage to see it may I ask? I'm really keen now because a livery has never made me shocked either, I'm keen to see!

Joshrowlands

Yes you got £20 (enjoy! :) ) but this just proves how pathetic their customer services department is.

Of course, if you had made an actual complaint, you could now be safe in the knowledge that they don't give a #&%$ about how to improve the service, don't want to investigate issues, and would rather fob people off than tackle whatever 'problem' you originally complained about. End result is that the reason for your complaint will happily reoccur and reoccur.

I'm sure some of you reading this will think "he's absolutely mad, who wouldn't want free money no questions asked?" but sometimes you complain because you want to supply some feedback, an issue or something that can be improved, and any financial compensation is a bonus after you've been listened to. This current way cuts out the whole 'listening to our customers, taking what they say on-board and acting upon it' bit. Which from my experiences in customer service role (not on the railway, I accept) is what good customer service is all about.
I didn't compain I asked about the west coast launch day events but yes if I did compain it's so annoying to know they don't want to do something about the problem they just want you to spend your money again so they give you a free ticket just as a little teaser back in. I don't care how big or small my TOC was if I owned one id make sure customers were at the heart and have staff that love to come in to work and go the extra mile. I'm dying to work at Virgin trains or any TOC for that matter and if I did I'd make sure I'd make people's day and always go the extra mile it annoys me there's some staff that don't give a a damn.

The fact that a company so big and who must have large customer relations team and budget can't fix little problems but instead send out £20 RTV's like they're nothing goes to show not only do they not care about their customers but also their customers money because they have that much of it, but I shall enjoy my free RTV more fool them I was only asking a simple question which could of been an email back saying yes or no instead they've spent £20 of their company's money and postage fee's. Fair enough that's probbaly nothing to them they probbaly earn that a minute but still jokes on them :)

tsr

Established Member

"Passengers sitting in the toilets for the duration of their journey can book in advance and enjoy special discounts, with tickets for this accommodation marked "VIRGIN WC ONLY". See virginwc.com for information."

Hmmm...

Starmill

Veteran Member
"Passengers sitting in the toilets for the duration of their journey can book in advance and enjoy special discounts, with tickets for this accommodation marked "VIRGIN WC ONLY". See virginwc.com for information."

Hmmm...

Hahahah, very good :P

Seriously we have had VWC & CONNECTS for years. That is daft, as there is no train company called anything like that. This just perpetuates the daftness :P

marks87

Established Member
It will sure take some pretty special bloody paint to drop the jaws of some people on here :p

I think the intended meaning of the restriction is:

"Trains operated by Virgin Trains West Coast only"

Similarly, the previous restriction was:

"Trains operated by Virgin".

In other words, the use of "TRNS" is as a common noun, not as part of the operator name.

glbotu

GNER by today's standards is too old fashioned.

That is what they were going for though. Their whole branding suggested that it was a premium, old-fashioned service, trying to evoke "golden era" nostalgia. I'd say a similar livery would have a place on today's railway.

It really depends what your brand is trying to achieve. Virgin obviously push the fact that they're modern (regardless of what they run). I'd say Grand Central are going for something similar to GNER.

Retorus

That is what they were going for though. Their whole branding suggested that it was a premium, old-fashioned service, trying to evoke "golden era" nostalgia. I'd say a similar livery would have a place on today's railway.

It really depends what your brand is trying to achieve. Virgin obviously push the fact that they're modern (regardless of what they run). I'd say Grand Central are going for something similar to GNER.

Yeah, Grand Central's is pretty old fashioned looking but it definitely works.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Seems like a good idea to have a special ticket for those that hide in the toilet!

LeylandLen

I see Virgin Trains were sponsors of Preston North Ends shirts for the game against Man Utd last night, and there was Virgin Trains branding behind the goals. I assume the sponsorship is until end of season? Do they sponsor any other clubs ? Perhaps some football/ rugby clubs on East Coast line could do with suitable sponsorship to coincide with launch of VTEC ?

Saint66

I see Virgin Trains were sponsors of Preston North Ends shirts for the game against Man Utd last night, and there was Virgin Trains branding behind the goals. I assume the sponsorship is until end of season? Do they sponsor any other clubs ? Perhaps some football/ rugby clubs on East Coast line could do with suitable sponsorship to coincide with launch of VTEC ?

They sponsor/are involved with Carlise United also.

Yew

Established Member
In fairness we don’t know what EC would have proposed for the new IEP trains - they weren’t allowed to bid. New thinking is fine; shall we make sure that everyone involved is allowed to offer new thinking though?

The interesting situation where the state isnt allowed to bid, but the german, belgian and french states are perfectly welcome to!

Gadget88

Beats me how Virgin can own both route to London from the North. Gone the cheap East Coast fares.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Beats me how Virgin can own both route to London from the North. Gone the cheap East Coast fares.
What part of "the North" do the ECML and the WCML both serve? Even if travelling all the way down to the Scottish cities (which is a small market compared to the English destinations anyway), customers from Glasgow tend to choose the West Coast, and customers from Edinburgh tend to choose the East Coast, based on journey time and train schedules.

If there is going to be any concern, surely it should be regarding the Stagecoach involvement in East Midlands and East Coast. Although East Midlands' pricing is so peculiar anyway I'm not so sure they care!

Gadget88

What? Everyone else is worried about Stagecoach's market share... what are you thinking of!?

No doubt Virgin provide excellent services however I would question how prices can be competitive if it's the same company? Unless I am misunderstanding and Stagecoach are the majority bidder and it's merely branding?

Retorus

No doubt Virgin provide excellent services however I would question how prices can be competitive if it's the same company? Unless I am misunderstanding and Stagecoach are the majority bidder and it's merely branding?

It's 90% Stagecoach, 10% Virgin. So yeah, basically branding.

Gadget88

It's 90% Stagecoach, 10% Virgin. So yeah, basically branding.

Bit surprised they want Virgin branding or Virgin would want to because there trains tend to be newer and could damage the brand?

Anybody know when they will be repainted anyway? The East Coast colours are a bit worn out now. Are they refitting the seats or anything? Last major revamp was under GNER right? :)

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I disagree that the EC colours are worn out. The 91+MKIV's are painted in a base grey colour with EC purple stickers which can be easily removed. I suspect the base grey will form the base of Virgin's livery.

The HST's (with one exception iirc) have the NXEC white as the base.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Bit surprised they want Virgin branding or Virgin would want to because there trains tend to be newer and could damage the brand?
The East Coast fleet will be wholly replaced by a new fleet of trains in 3-4 years time anyway. At which point Sir Richard can step up and claim that he has single handedly “revolutionised” the travelling experience on the East Coast despite it being written into the franchise whoever happened to win it.

Virgin is a strong brand that is (generally) more popularly perceived amongst the general public than Stagecoach.

bramling

Veteran Member
The East Coast fleet will be wholly replaced by a new fleet of trains in 3-4 years time anyway. At which point Sir Richard can step up and claim that he has single handedly “revolutionised” the travelling experience on the East Coast despite it being written into the franchise whoever happened to win it.

Virgin is a strong brand that is (generally) more popularly perceived amongst the general public than Stagecoach.

I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised by today's West Coast franchise. Compared to all the other Intercity operators, I always find West Coast the most pleasant to use. Generally compared to other operators their trains are longer and more frequent, and therefore are often less crowded.

Having said that, I'm not so convinced Cross Country has improved however, I find travelling on Cross Country to be a generally unpleasant experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.