• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Walking and Rambling discussion

That general area near Nottingham has a few old railway routes which have been converted to mixed used paths from big & little ones. Certainly an area you could spend a few days in exploring places.

Although I bet none of them was as strange as Frome to Radstock which still has the old track in place running alongside the path for the majority of the way, some parts were very overgrown with trees growing out. Not the easiest to reach from Frome.

I'm hoping the weather is dry next Saturday so I can continue my walk along the Grand Union canal from Tring, not sure if I will break it at Leighton Buzzard [and maybe switch for a bus towards Stanbridge to walk the Sewell Cutting towards Dunstable] or push on towards Fenny Stratford/Bletchley. Guess it depends on the weather and how I feel regarding the surface quality (as if it's anything like the parts I've done so far it is variable)
College lake nature reserve is well worth a visit, if you don't mind a diversion. It is a 5 minute walk away from the canal at Bulbourne lock (turn right and walk uphill along the road).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

THC

Chelmsford to Braintree, 15 miles. Through Springfield and the ever-growing Beaulieu development onto the back lanes north and flood avoidance, or so I thought! A miscalculation near Little Waltham meant two boots full of water and a squelch on through Fuller Street and Black Notley before an easy run into Braintree. The town centre has been pedestrianised since my last visit and looks much better for it. A pint in the Picture Palace before the train home ended another lovely day's walking in Essex.

THC

Attachments

• IMG_20240226_102126645.jpg
    IMG_20240226_102126645.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240226_154212766.jpg
    IMG_20240226_154212766.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240226_154902657_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240226_154902657_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20240226-160007.png
    Screenshot_20240226-160007.png
    856 KB · Views: 16

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Chelmsford to Braintree, 15 miles. Through Springfield and the ever-growing Beaulieu development onto the back lanes north and flood avoidance, or so I thought! A miscalculation near Little Waltham meant two boots full of water and a squelch on through Fuller Street and Black Notley before an easy run into Braintree. The town centre has been pedestrianised since my last visit and looks much better for it. A pint in the Picture Palace before the train home ended another lovely day's walking in Essex.

THC
You're brave to attempt a walk in such a low lying county after all this rain! :lol:

nlogax

Established Member
This Saturday I walked the Tyne from central Newcastle to Wallsend which worked out to be six or seven miles following the old Riverside branch line. From Wallsend I then took the metro to Tynemouth before resuming the walk along the coast through Cullercoats to Whitley Bay which added at least another couple of miles.

Absolutely perfect day for it. The first part of the walk was superb until reaching Wallsend where I took a tactical decision to depart the ever-increasing industrial landscape along the river which these days is devoted to engineering for offshore power. The second part was much more leisurely..clifftop views from Tynemouth Priory all the way to Whitley Bay with Spanish City clearly prominent to the north.

Kite159

Veteran Member
This evening I've been looking at the disused railway walks from Hindlow towards Cromford & Tissington/Ashbourne, not the easiest to do as at a glance Pomeroy at the northern end has one bus per day Monday - Saturday and 2 buses a day on a Sunday. Unless it gets more buses during the summer months, otherwise it seems it's a 2 mile walk from Earl Sterndale

Also seems to be a difference between Google maps and the bus times website regarding the daily 441 bus from Buxton to Ashbourne. Google suggests it calls at Parsley Hay (the junction where the line to Cromford heads away) but bus times suggests it skips that village.

----

Anyhow Saturday (2nd March) my original idea was to head towards Cheddar to walk the old railway route towards Yatton (maybe with a circle of Cheddar reservoir as it seems to have a path which goes all the way round). All set up with bag packed, checked the weather this morning when I woke up to find it had changed to heavy rain until 2pm. (Met Office) so decided not to risk getting soaked and ended up in Chard (well it was Somerset lol)

Last edited:

THC

Chesterfield to Alfreton, 15.6 miles. From the crooked spire south-east onto the Five Pits Trail in old mining country. Fabulous views across mid Derbyshire to the Peaks so lots of climbing en route. The paths were immaculate and recent floods subsided so I made it through without getting covered in mud. Thanks to @ChrisC for the inspiration!

THC

Attachments

• IMG_20240306_091023134.jpg
    IMG_20240306_091023134.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240306_091501427_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240306_091501427_HDR.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240306_143310999.jpg
    IMG_20240306_143310999.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240306-143714.png
    Screenshot_20240306-143714.png
    900.2 KB · Views: 19

Kite159

Veteran Member
THC is still on tour with the long walks :)

Bit of a random question, but has anybody here done the walk from Tilbury (Town/Riverside) towards East Tilbury via the Thames Estuary Path (as poorly displayed on the C2C website here: https://www.c2c-online.co.uk/create-your-day-out/thames-estuary-walks/) or the walk from Grays towards Purfleet? Just looking at a couple crazy ideas to link in with a trip on the Gravesend ferry before that potentially disappears at the end of the month

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
THC is still on tour with the long walks :)

Bit of a random question, but has anybody here done the walk from Tilbury (Town/Riverside) towards East Tilbury via the Thames Estuary Path (as poorly displayed on the C2C website here: https://www.c2c-online.co.uk/create-your-day-out/thames-estuary-walks/) or the walk from Grays towards Purfleet? Just looking at a couple crazy ideas to link in with a trip on the Gravesend ferry before that potentially disappears at the end of the month
I've done both of them! We did a forum walk from Purfleet to Grays a few years back and I've walked the who of the Thames Estuary Path.

Purfleet to Grays is one of my favourite walks, if you like desolate, rather threatening, edgy landscapes! You sort of get the impression that you shouldn't be there with meanacing signs round the back of the oil terminals but don't get put off. Marvel at the site of graffiti wall and don't forget to divert off to see St Clements Church.

If walking to East Tilbury do make sure you pop in to Tilbury Fort first. The estuary walk is pleasant but I seem to remember the footpath if officially closed at one point becuse the sea wall had partially collapsed. We carried on and it was fine.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Thanks Hadders, I will probably give it a try tomorrow :) (Tilbury to East Tilbury then train to Grays to walk towards Purfleet or even Rainham to start the London loop at that end)

Last edited:

al78

Established Member
Lewes to Hassocks last Sunday, excellent weather conditions for walking although the third wettest 12 month period since records began in 1766 has taken its toll on conditions underfoot.

IMG_20240303_125029386.jpg

Attachments

• Lewes-HassockRoute.png
    Lewes-HassockRoute.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 15

johnnychips

Established Member
This evening I've been looking at the disused railway walks from Hindlow towards Cromford & Tissington/Ashbourne, not the easiest to do as at a glance Pomeroy at the northern end has one bus per day Monday - Saturday and 2 buses a day on a Sunday. Unless it gets more buses during the summer months, otherwise it seems it's a 2 mile walk from Earl Sterndale

Also seems to be a difference between Google maps and the bus times website regarding the daily 441 bus from Buxton to Ashbourne. Google suggests it calls at Parsley Hay (the junction where the line to Cromford heads away) but bus times suggests it skips that village.
The 442 will drop you at Wheeldon Trees past Earl Sterndale, which halves the distance to walk to the start of the High Peak Trail.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The 442 will drop you at Wheeldon Trees past Earl Sterndale, which halves the distance to walk to the start of the High Peak Trail.
Is there an actual stop there at Wheeldon Trees (as the High Peak website suggests the 442 bus only calls at (Main Road) Earl Sterndale & Pack Horse, Crowdecote.

Just a shame the more limited 441 doesn't call at Parsley Hay. Unless it gets a boost during the summer months, similar to that Macclesfield - Buxton service extended more to Chatsworth House which serves Pomeroy along the way. Although I suspect both those walks won't be for a while, as I'm trying to focus on the walks on my list which require use of buses at one or both ends when the £2 single scheme is still running.

philjo

Established Member
Has anyone done a walk from Abbey Wood ?
Looking for 12-14 miles for our group starting at Abbey Wood, we would get there using the Elizabeth Line from Farringdon.
I found a couple of possible routes to end in Greenwich though not checked the actual distance.
I did look at starting from Ebbsfleet but the Darent river gets in the way on the coast path without a suitable crossing point meaning a long inland detour to Dartford though could end there instead as can use Thameslink back to Farringdon.

joncombe

Has anyone done a walk from Abbey Wood ?
Looking for 12-14 miles for our group starting at Abbey Wood, we would get there using the Elizabeth Line from Farringdon.
I found a couple of possible routes to end in Greenwich though not checked the actual distance.
I did look at starting from Ebbsfleet but the Darent river gets in the way on the coast path without a suitable crossing point meaning a long inland detour to Dartford though could end there instead as can use Thameslink back to Farringdon.
The Green Chain walk perhaps? I did it a few years ago and you could join several sections together I imagine to cover the distance you are after.

Iskra

Established Member
Does anyone have any recommendations for walks between stations on the Cumbrian Coast or Furness lines please?

Tester

Does anyone have any recommendations for walks between stations on the Cumbrian Coast or Furness lines please?
Parton to Workington via Lowca and Distington. 7.6 miles - mainly disused railway.

Satnav screenshot showing route attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-17-22-20-04-40_021d3bbe035638d121c1631a3b6eed2f.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-17-22-20-04-40_021d3bbe035638d121c1631a3b6eed2f.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 10

ChrisC

Established Member
Whitehaven to St. Bees along the cliff top path around St. Bees Head is well worth doing. Allow plenty of time to stop and enjoy the views.

Iskra

Established Member
Parton to Workington via Lowca and Distington. 7.6 miles - mainly disused railway.

Satnav screenshot showing route attached.
Whitehaven to St. Bees along the cliff top path around St. Bees Head is well worth doing. Allow plenty of time to stop and enjoy the views.
Thank you both!

No but walking around Arnside from the station is a lovely experience
Yes, I agree, although I have done it before. I used to live near there.

Can you cross the River Kent by way of the railway bridge as a pedestrian route of is it trains only?
Trains only, but they do organised walks across Morecambe bay, so you can technically walk across it with the correct guidance.

Buzby

Trains only, but they do organised walks across Morecambe bay, so you can technically walk across it with the correct guidance.
I gather they used to go from Kent’s Bank to Grange over Sands, but the tidal variations caused a change reducing the distance considerably - it now runs from Arnside only, and starts in May. I wanted to walk back, but with no pedestrian access I’ll have to take the train!

THC

Klein Glienicke to Potsdam, 8.4 miles. Starting right on the former East-West border in the woods south west of Berlin, I walked across the Bridge of Spies and around the Havel river, stopping at the waterside Meierei brewery before climbing through the Volkspark up to Schloss Sans Souci and then descending through the ornamental gardens into Potsdam proper. Ausgezeichnet!

THC

Attachments

• IMG_20240317_180213792.jpg
    IMG_20240317_180213792.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240317_120424217_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240317_120424217_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240317_145611657.jpg
    IMG_20240317_145611657.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240317-173806.png
    Screenshot_20240317-173806.png
    842.4 KB · Views: 7

Iskra

Established Member
I am sure there were plans to put a walkway across Arnside Viaduct at one time.
Didn't pass the primarily abstractive test, I imagine ;) (Seriously though, it would be useful and popular)

Klein Glienicke to Potsdam, 8.4 miles. Starting right on the former East-West border in the woods south west of Berlin, I walked across the Bridge of Spies and around the Havel river, stopping at the waterside Meierei brewery before climbing through the Volkspark up to Schloss Sans Souci and then descending through the ornamental gardens into Potsdam proper. Ausgezeichnet!

THC

That sounds nice, I visited Potsdam many years ago and it's a beautiful place full of history.

- - - - - -

Sadly, I have just seen that there are no trains along the full length of the Cumbrian Coast tomorrow, so I may have to head to the Dales and do Ingleborough (and maybe Whernside) instead.

_toommm_

Established Member
Fairfield Horseshoe and Helvellyn a few weeks ago. Fairfield was really enjoyable with only a very light smattering of snow on top. Helvellyn was a lot tougher with visibility pretty low and there being no signs of paths past 2,500ft. Still a good experience though.

Most of these are screenshots as the originals are between 30-50mb each.
20240302_145945.jpgScreenshot_20240317_235420_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240317_235357_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240317_235344_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240317_235335_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240317_235319_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240317_235302_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240317_235247_Gallery.jpg

Iskra

Established Member
Fairfield Horseshoe and Helvellyn a few weeks ago. Fairfield was really enjoyable with only a very light smattering of snow on top. Helvellyn was a lot tougher with visibility pretty low and there being no signs of paths past 2,500ft. Still a good experience though.

Most of these are screenshots as the originals are between 30-50mb each.
View attachment 154404View attachment 154406View attachment 154407View attachment 154408View attachment 154409View attachment 154410View attachment 154411View attachment 154412
Some great photos there. Helvellyn/Striding Edge is my all-time favourite hike. We usually do it in nice weather but did do it in thick snow once, although we got all the way along striding edge before having to turn back as we didn’t have the crampons and ice-axes needed to get to the top. It was still a wonderful experience however.