• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Walking and Rambling discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
Back to Leicestershire. Loughborough is a bit run down, despite a nice market, and the station is a bit of a walk from town. Took the Midland Classic 129 to Nanpantan (£1.65) then walked over The Beacon, through Woodhouse Eaves and on to Old John Tower.

Wildlife included a parrot club, who were letting their macaws fly free, which was quite remarkable, and herds of fallow and red deer in Bradgate Country park. Lady Jane Grey, the nine day queen, once lived on the estate. Although the area only rises to 800’, it is made of very old Precambrian rock, and the terrain can resemble the foothills of the Lakes.

I continued to Rothley, where I had just missed a GCR train - unfortunately I didn’t realise they were running - and on to Sileby, where there was a really excellent pub called the Horse and Trumpet near the station. I was going to get the train back to Loughborough, but had another pint and a ham cob and got the Kinchbus 2 (£2) back instead.

It was about fourteen miles. I was very impressed with the scenery and villages.

Edit: any donations gratefully received

1676148806594.jpeg

Last edited:

StephenHunter

Established Member
The GoJauntly app has some walks based off the Elizabeth Line stations. I did a five-mile one round the Chadwell Heath and Becontree area last Sunday to get myself back into the swing of things ahead of a planned go at Sections 10 and 11 of the London Loop later this month.

apk55

A few days ago I decided to walk from Eccles to Bolton along the old LNWR route.Most is now converted into foot/cycle path and is about 10 miles long. Tram to Eccles train back from Bolton.
Another walk I did recently was from Staybridge up to Swineshaw reservoirs, returning partly via the old Miclehurst loop line from Royal George. Most of this is now footpath except around Mosley but there is a pleasant alternative the huddesfield canal including a short tunnel

THC

Billericay to North Weald, 16 miles. Perfect conditions underfoot and the sun at my back made for a fantastic walk through mid-Essex to the Epping Ongar Railway for its vintage bus rally. A grand day out if you're me. :E

THC

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230219-143703.png
    Screenshot_20230219-143703.png
    904.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230219_142955445_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230219_142955445_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230219_141513853.jpg
    IMG_20230219_141513853.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20230219_150819164.jpg
    IMG_20230219_150819164.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17

johnnychips

Established Member
Back to the joys of Leicestershire again. Took the X3 Arriva from Leicester to Market Harborough (£2) and walked over some rolling hills via some pleasant villages to end up in Belton-in-Rutland, so I took in three counties as I passed through a bit of Northamptonshire without realising it was on my route.
After fifteen miles, I really fancied a beer, but the one pub in Belton was not just shut, but closed down! So I went on the Centrebus 747 to Uppingham (£2) for a well-earned pint in The Crown in this delightful little town before returning via Oakham on the bus, then by train to Leicester.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I had a nice walk today following the Cuckoo Trail from Hampden Park station to Heathfield in Sussex. Originally I was planning to head to Heathfield bus (via the route 51 bus from Eastbourne/Polegate, making use of the £2 singles) but decided to go from south to north due to the sun being behind me (although a downside is some long climbs). Path could have been better signposted in places (especially when it came to the A22 bridge over the railway) but was mostly tarmac. A few "downs & ups" at roads where old bridges have been removed, although the vast majority of those were quiet lanes or had traffic lights.

A couple areas had a lot of rural woodland where the only sound was the wind. One of the old stations is now a private house, with a couple of short views, with Horam having the old platform still in place.

Attachments

• Remains of platform at Horam Station (Cuckoo Trail).jpg
    Remains of platform at Horam Station (Cuckoo Trail).jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 17

StephenHunter

Established Member
Did Sections 10 and 11 of the London Loop yesterday on a day with some pretty persistent drizzle, consistent low-level mud and a dog doing a lot of barking at me. With the long walk between Elizabeth Line and Piccadilly Line at Heathrow T2 & 3, I exceeded 35,000 steps, getting a personal record.

Report to follow on my own blog.

dangie

Established Member
Just bought ‘Great Mountain Days in the Lake District - 50 Classic Walks’ from a local charity shop. Now I’m 72 and have already done most of the walks I doubt it’ll get used, but it will certainly get read and look good on the bookcase.

duncanp

Established Member
Did a walk in Manchester yesterday, from Clayton Hall tram stop to Fairfield via the Stockport Canal Trail and the Fallowfield Loop.

The Stockport Canal Trail follows the route of a former canal that was abandoned in 1962 and subsequently filled in, and the Fallowfield loop is an old railway line that skirts the Southern suburbs of Manchester.

If you think London is expensive, the bar at Piccadilly station charged more than £7 for a pint of IPA.

S&CLER

Had an excellent 9-mile walk around the attractive village of Great Budworth Cheshire, from the Anderton Boat Lift, with Southport Ramblers today. The first-time leader did a great job. Also did a good recce last Wednesday, getting the 0705 train from Southport, catching good connections at Oxford Road and Piccadilly to Hathersage, where I walked first to Grindleford station, then up Padley Gorge and along the valley of the Burbage Brook to Upper Burbage Bridge, then back by the Fiddler's Elbow, Mitchell Field and Scraperlow to Hathersage. The anytime short return from SOP to Hathersage with a railcard was only £14.10, excellent value.

Howardh

Established Member
When on an island, for no good reason I like to walk/hike to the highest point...or take the train if it's the Isle of Man! Booked a break in Guernsey and a slight problem, it has a "highest point"...but unfortunately I'll be landing on it as it's within or adjacent to the airport's boundaries!! And judging by the blog below, looks artificial too therefore cheating!! I suppose I'll now have to take a day trip to Hern and "climb" that one.

Might get decent views of Jersey from Herm, although Sark will eclipse much of it??, maybe Alderney and on a clear day possibly France.

Guernsey's highest point...ish!!

Photo of blogger on misty day stood on Guernsey's "highest point"

Significance: High point of the island of Guernsey, Channel Islands
Elevation: 111 m
Route Start / End: car park in front of Guernsey Airport Terminal building
Route Stats: Approx 2 metres walk up the grassy bank between the car-park and the main road, 1 m elevation!

dangie

Established Member
I shall be spending 4 nights in Rhosneigr Anglesey at the end of this month. Hope the weather is fit for walking & cycling. I have the relevant OS Maps, but if anyone has ideas on good walks (and bike rides) it would be most appreciated. Thank you.

johnnychips

Established Member
Had an excellent 9-mile walk around the attractive village of Great Budworth Cheshire, from the Anderton Boat Lift, with Southport Ramblers today. The first-time leader did a great job. Also did a good recce last Wednesday, getting the 0705 train from Southport, catching good connections at Oxford Road and Piccadilly to Hathersage, where I walked first to Grindleford station, then up Padley Gorge and along the valley of the Burbage Brook to Upper Burbage Bridge, then back by the Fiddler's Elbow, Mitchell Field and Scraperlow to Hathersage. The anytime short return from SOP to Hathersage with a railcard was only £14.10, excellent value.
Somebody else has recommended a walk round the Anderson boat lift. Is it accessible by public transport?

Meanwhile, not too far away, had a walk along the disused railway between Warrington and Altrincham with some other forum members today, which was enjoyable; and unlike some disused railway walks, was remarkably litter-free.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I had a gentle walk of the Rainford linear park today with some friends, runs along the old railway (St Helens and Runcorn Gap Railway) via the village and to an industrial park, where we ended up at a bus stop on the Rainford bypass for a bus to St Helens. Earlier in the morning I did a random loop South of Crewe towards Basford, a mix of roads and a footpath including a foot crossing of the Alsager line.

Meanwhile, not too far away, had a walk along the disused railway between Warrington and Altrincham with some other forum members today, which was enjoyable; and unlike some disused railway walks, was remarkably litter-free.
That's good, it's on my list for a GM Wayfarer day at some point, not sure when.

S&CLER

Somebody else has recommended a walk round the Anderson boat lift. Is it accessible by public transport?

I didn't get there by bus, but I did see a bus passing near the village. I believe it was from Warrington.
I had a gentle walk of the Rainford linear park today with some friends, runs along the old railway (St Helens and Runcorn Gap Railway) via the village and to an industrial park, where we ended up at a bus stop on the Rainford bypass for a bus to St Helens. Earlier in the morning I did a random loop South of Crewe towards Basford, a mix of roads and a footpath including a foot crossing of the Alsager line.

That's good, it's on my list for a GM Wayfarer day at some point, not sure when.
I did that linear park with my first cousin once removed who lives in Rainford, and we enjoyed it; there is a café nearby called Bridge Farm which is a good place for a snack. Cousin Jackie recommended the sausage and egg sandwich.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Today I did a trio of short railway line paths (plus some canal) from Alsager towards Sandbach station.
First was the Merelake Way path heading south, a short mile long path which turned rural once out of Alsager (and once you passed a golf course), although at the southern end onward connections are not the best, so I simply did a U-turn.
The second was a permissive path along the alignment of the former Sandbach Branch Line of the North Staffordshire Railway, via fields before woodland towards the B5078 where the path turned into the "Salt Line", a surfaced path via woodland and near Borrow Pit Meadows. Next was a section which has been lost so it was onto the Trent & Mersey canal for around a mile (passing some twin locks) before picking up the Wheelock Rail Trail which ended up in Ettiley Heath (near Sandbach). One downside was a horrible flat crossing of the A534 which even on a Sunday morning was heavy traffic. I wouldn't have liked to ride a bike along that towpath as some of the locks had steep hills (and in some cases steep leading to a low bridge)

That road crossing wouldn't have been as bad if there was a centre island so you could wait for a gap in traffic one way, cross to the centre island before waiting for a gap in traffic coming the other way, rather than waiting for a gap in traffic in both directions.

After the old railway route, I headed towards the Trent & Mersey canal near the railway bridge (even captured a TfW 150 crossing the canal by luck), before following the canal northbound towards a modern housing estate near Sandbach station. Towpath in this section was tarmac-like.

ChrisC

Established Member
Had an enjoyable walk on Saturday with some other forum members along a disused railway between Warrington and Altrincham. This section of disused railway is part of the Trans Pennine Trail. I must walk some more of this trail. I did walk a very nice section of the trail between Sprotbrough and Mexborough
last summer with a very pleasant section along the side of the River Don. I’ve also walked a section near Woodhead in snow a few years ago.

In addition to the main route of the trail which runs from Southport on the West Coast, to Hornsea on the East Coast, there are also a number of spurs off the main trail. Today I did a very interesting walk along the Chesterfield spur, walking south from Renishaw towards Staveley and Poolsbrook Country Park. I only walked around 5 miles today but it was a good walk along the route of the Great Central Railway with large parts on an embankment giving good views of the surrounding countryside. I must go back and walk north from Renishaw through Killamarsh and the Rother Valley Country Park towards Beighton. I’m going to walk the section from Staveley to Chesterfield along the canal one Saturday so that I can also call in at the Barrow Hill Roundhouse on the way, somewhere I’ve never visited.

Last edited:

johnnychips

Established Member
To the Dukeries today. I got the train to Worksop, then walked along the Robin Hood Way to Welbeck Abbey. There were a lot of ‘no entry’ signs and I assumed it was private, until I got to the main road, saw the main entrance, and I didn’t feel like doubling back. On to the famous Cresswell Crags, whose caves have Neolithic carvings and paintings. You can go up to their entrances but aren’t allowed in, for obvious reasons. I would have liked to learn more, but the visitors’ centre was closed due to ‘a major shortage of water’ - rather baffling!

I thought I might get the Robin Hood line train for a stop, but just missed one - then I remembered that some services skip-stop anyway. Nice snowy fields took me to Glapwell, where I enjoyed a pint after my sixteen miles in the ’Young Vanish’, a massive carvery pub, but with a sort of public bar area at one end, which I thought was a nice touch. Consultation of the tracker on the ‘bustimes’ site told me my Stagecoach ‘Pronto’ had been caped at Mansfield, so I was forced to have another beer before getting the next and so finishing in Chesterfield.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Another disused railway route for me, with the Brampton Valley Way along the former Northampton - Market Harborough line. 18 and a half miles in total from the railway station at Northampton to the bus stop on the square in Market Harborough (where I caught the X7 back to Northampton, making use of the £2 fare scheme).

Once I gained access to the former railway route a couple miles north of Northampton station (nearly getting unstuck due to a flooded path with the bridge underneath the railway), mix of surfaces although due to the volume of rain (and snow) the path was muddy in places. Path runs alongside the heritage Northampton & Lampost railway with track renewals taking place. Vast majority was off-road with some road crossings, plus had two short unlit tunnels which slowed me down due to the path condition. Very rural in places, but sadly most evidence of the old stations have gone (no old platforms with info boards like I've come across on other railway paths).

johnnychips

Established Member
@Kite159 , that sounds a good route I’d like to try. How long did it take, as it’s not the easiest route from Sheffield to Northampton by train?

I agree with you about information boards (or lack of them). I love reading them, especially if they have old photos.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Another disused railway route for me, with the Brampton Valley Way along the former Northampton - Market Harborough line. 18 and a half miles in total from the railway station at Northampton to the bus stop on the square in Market Harborough (where I caught the X7 back to Northampton, making use of the £2 fare scheme).

Once I gained access to the former railway route a couple miles north of Northampton station (nearly getting unstuck due to a flooded path with the bridge underneath the railway), mix of surfaces although due to the volume of rain (and snow) the path was muddy in places. Path runs alongside the heritage Northampton & Lampost railway with track renewals taking place. Vast majority was off-road with some road crossings, plus had two short unlit tunnels which slowed me down due to the path condition. Very rural in places, but sadly most evidence of the old stations have gone (no old platforms with info boards like I've come across on other railway paths).
I walked the Brampton Valley Way in 2021 on a very hot day! A torch is definitely needed for the two tunnels.

Kite159

Veteran Member
@Kite159 , that sounds a good route I’d like to try. How long did it take, as it’s not the easiest route from Sheffield to Northampton by train?

I agree with you about information boards (or lack of them). I love reading them, especially if they have old photos.
Around 6 hours in total with little comfort/water/photo breaks.

Easiest way from Sheffield will likely be to change at Leicester to a train from Nottingham (or even board the Northampton bus at Leicester depending on connections)

_toommm_

Established Member
Another jaunt on the Cumbrian Coast on Thursday, from Drigg to Nethertown, a distance just shy of twelve miles. I was hoping for snow on the ground and whilst out there, but sadly none:

31984C07-96AA-4D61-8302-A040D24B6012.jpeg2269F6C5-CB0E-46EE-952F-51C0B27FE87A.jpeg2DB59352-0D13-4674-8F3C-B84A069604EA.jpeg6633C17A-E578-4C78-92C0-99B5DBFD37DB.jpeg2A4D61B7-75E3-4E17-BDB8-C0BF6BC58732.jpeg