• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whats the most successful Locomotive or Unit in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyBin

Established Member
I'd assume that is them having less power for about the same weight?

Either that or the brake blocks just make a better job of cleaning the wheel treads than Class 158 scrubber blocks.

I think it’s the tread brakes that make the difference.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

70014IronDuke

Established Member

(The larger but less sophisticated Class 77s lasted until 1985, having been sold to Netherlands Railways in 1968 when the Woodhead Line passenger services for which they were built were withdrawn)
The Woodhead passenger service lasted with Cl 76 haulage until Jan or Feb 1970, I think it was.

Master29

Established Member
What about 158/159. Some 30 years + will be around for a while yet and no major issues, except aircon maybe. Other than those the usual. Has to be HST (3 times the service lifespan of 52's) 37 and 47's and of course the 08

reddragon

Established Member
For shear numbers, longevity the EE 350hp DE shunter wins with the Class 08 the largest class.

Longest passenger service its the 1938 stock / Class 483 or the IOM tram cars

Longest at the top, dominating Intercity twice as long as any other type steam or Diesel, world record holder, saviour of British Rail its the HST / Class 43-253-254-255

Spartacus

Established Member
I'd rule out the 43s as none are running with their original type of engine, and rule out 47s as well because they had to be derated to improve reliability. Out of current fleets I'd go either 08 or 37, it is quite remarkable that even now 37s are called into normal passenger service.

DustyBin

Established Member
I'd rule out the 43s as none are running with their original type of engine, and rule out 47s as well because they had to be derated to improve reliability. Out of current fleets I'd go either 08 or 37, it is quite remarkable that even now 37s are called into normal passenger service.

That they were able to be re-engined could also be seen as a measure of success; you can look at it either way and we all have different ways of measuring these things. Personally I don’t think it rules them out, it’s not as if the original engines were particularly troublesome.

The HST isn’t my favourite train incidentally, but I’m struggling to look past it in the context of this thread. There are some good ‘runners up’ though.

Wivenswold

Established Member
HST. No competition.

Not only did it salvage British Rail's crumbling image, it has been a reliable workhorse since the mid-70s, it's surprisingly flexible (Flying banana, the short sets, MK3's went on to work with all kinds of traction), it's a timeless design from an era of UK engineering and manufacturing failure and it still represents railways in Britain, in the same way that the red double decker represents the UK omnibus, in the eyes of the world.

They replaced Deltics, Westerns, Hoovers and Peaks yet they are still loved by pretty much all rail enthusiasts.

Stathern Jc

They replaced Deltics, Westerns, Hoovers and Peaks yet they are still loved by pretty much all rail enthusiasts.

Undoubtedly so. But it did take a little time.

I remember being on the last Deltic hauled service train out of King's Cross at 1805(?) on 31st December 1981.
This service to York was terminated at Grantham (my destination) because of congestion following a broken rail near Barkston, and passengers asked to transfer to the next Northbound service which would arrive in a few minutes.
As an enthusiast whose favourite spotting when a young boy had always been to see the Deltics at Grantham, I was really embarrassed by the howls of derision and abuse aimed by some "enthusiasts" at the HST as it came in to Platform 2 to complete the journey of those travelling further North.
It was a poignant event, and that did nobody any credit at all.

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
Now there's a bold statement! And not one that I agree with.

Certainly among the old school crowd from the 70s and 80s I see no love for them. A different story with the next generation I guess, but I don't know any converts of my generation.

bramling

Veteran Member
Personally I don’t think that’s a good measure of success. As has been mentioned, there were classes of steam locos built in very large numbers which were withdrawn after a handful of years in service. They may have been perfectly good locos but they weren’t successful (in my opinion). Whilst I’m not suggesting the first IET’s are nearing withdrawal, numbers alone don’t equal success. I’d say they represent a missed opportunity if anything....

Yes if one could sum up IETs in one word it would probably be “satisfactory”, “adequate” or perhaps “underwhelming”. They’re okay, but could have been so much better.

D365

Veteran Member
Yes if one could sum up IETs in one word it would probably be “satisfactory”, “adequate” or perhaps “underwhelming”. They’re okay, but could have been so much better.

Can't comment on the passenger experience as I've only travelled by Azuma a couple of times. Mechanically, however, they are perfect for their roles.

DustyBin

Established Member

Satisfactory at best, although personally I find them extremely uncomfortable to travel on (I genuinely do, the seats don’t agree with me at all). It’s a shame really, they could and should have been so much better.

Chris217

Undoubtedly so. But it did take a little time.

I remember being on the last Deltic hauled service train out of King's Cross at 1805(?) on 31st December 1981.
This service to York was terminated at Grantham (my destination) because of congestion following a broken rail near Barkston, and passengers asked to transfer to the next Northbound service which would arrive in a few minutes.
As an enthusiast whose favourite spotting when a young boy had always been to see the Deltics at Grantham, I was really embarrassed by the howls of derision and abuse aimed by some "enthusiasts" at the HST as it came in to Platform 2 to complete the journey of those travelling further North.
It was a poignant event, and that did nobody any credit at all.

I always wondered about Deltics on the ECML as there were only 22 of them,so they must have shared work with 47s before the HSTs arrived.
Also some Deltics worked other routes.
They were a great piece of kit and were like Marmite with some. You either loved them or hated them.
One thing for certain though,HSTs did revolutionise rail travel at the time.
And although re-engineered for life extensions they continued to be a popular reliable machine.
As smart as the new IETs look,will we still see them giving squadron service 40yrs up the line.

DustyBin

Established Member
How about the various Networker classes?

They’re really good trains to be fair. Whenever I travel on a 465 (or 466) I’m always impressed, especially as they’re now getting on a bit. The ride is superb, the seats are decent and they even align with the windows!

I’ve travelled on the other Networker varieties occasionally and found them similar, certainly a successful family of trains in my opinion.

plugwash

Established Member
it is quite remarkable that even now 37s are called into normal passenger service.
Are they?

My understanding was that the days of bringing in an old loco with MK2 coaches when you were desperate for rolling stock were essentially ended by PRM.

trainmania100

Established Member
Let's not forget the class 73/1s working effortlessly through the rhtt season down here in Kent and Sussex

Northhighland

HST absolutely walks it - a genuine revolution when it was introduced, long-lived (still in front line service 44 years later) and iconic. It is reasonable to say it changed the way we live - the growth in long distance commuting is in large part down to the shorter journey times the HSTs allowed.
Excellent post. Still gives very good passenger experience at 40 years old. That is testament to great design, manufacture and maintenance.

Mikey C

Established Member
While the HST is an icon, a key ingredient the Mark 3 coach would have happened without the HST, so can be considered a massively successful design in itself. Mk3 carriages were the backbone of InterCity, whether as part of an HST or behind a electric loco on the WCML, and still operate on loco hauled services out of Marylebone. Then you have the Mk3 sleepers, the "Inter City" style Class 442 EMU plus the vast number of commuter EMUs and DMUs that are derived from the basic design (317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 325, 455, 456, 150) and still going strong, with the likelihood that hydrogen power will keep some in service for a long time to come

Chris217

Weren't mk1 coaches round longer than mk3s though?
They must have been a successful design if we are talking coaching stock as well.
Mk1s include all the ex SR slam door EMUS so this post isn't off topic!

Whistler40145

Established Member
Class 37 has to be the go anywhere loco

As for DMUS, I'd say 156s are far better than 150s, definitely not a long distance unit

Fisherman80

As much as I love the HSTs, they did suffer reliability problems during hot weather. I think I read an article that during the summer of 1983,the HST fleet were failing on a very regular basis due to overheating.

bramling

Veteran Member
They’re really good trains to be fair. Whenever I travel on a 465 (or 466) I’m always impressed, especially as they’re now getting on a bit. The ride is superb, the seats are decent and they even align with the windows!

I’ve travelled on the other Networker varieties occasionally and found them similar, certainly a successful family of trains in my opinion.

I love Networkers, however I’m not sure I’d go as far as to call them a roaring success. There’s quite a few issues with them, much of which goes back to being pioneers of quite a few advances in design and technology. The Electrostars are a greatly refined version.

AverageTD

I don't think I've seen the 373 get a mention. imo the first proper High Speed Train here and uses the Channel Tunnel which I think speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.