• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

Iskra

Established Member
I’ve got a little permanent way train that’s mainly made up of cheap Peco wagons that I’ve weathered and added loads to. It didn’t cost too much and it’s something a bit different.

View attachment 118683

View attachment 118682
Those loads look really good and it is an excellent little rake. Love the snow on the roofs on Howling

I think a PW rake is an easy win on a layout- as you've demonstrated they can be of any length and assembled cheaply. They also don't look out of place anywhere on the network and are a good place for any oddity wagons you have that are surplus to any other requirement and they add a little variety. They are also great for rule 1 as you can run one with pretty much any locomotive you like on it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
That’s a very nice collection you have amassed. Have you any track and a controller
Thank you. No track or anything like that - they are just for static display on the top of the cupboard where they are photographed.
The (very nice) departmental bogie well wagon is new Bachmann
That is a nice looking wagon. There is a Weltrol at the KWVR so I am on the lookout for something similar- at the right price!

So my next purchase has been an attempt to replicate this wagon:

311756.jpg

As it is an LNER 5-plank wagon, I went for this model:

5-Plank.jpg

Obviously, there is something missing, so I have had a play with scissors and glue, and come up with this effort:

5-Plank with Hood.jpg

I need to get hold of a bigger piece of fabric and try again!

BTW, I incorrectly identified a hooded wagon in a couple of my earlier posts as 311756. I now suspect that this is Plate Wagon B933947, with added Hybar and hood.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thank you. No track or anything like that - they are just for static display on the top of the cupboard where they are photographed.

That is a nice looking wagon. There is a Weltrol at the KWVR so I am on the lookout for something similar- at the right price!

So my next purchase has been an attempt to replicate this wagon:

View attachment 118833

As it is an LNER 5-plank wagon, I went for this model:

View attachment 118834

Obviously, there is something missing, so I have had a play with scissors and glue, and come up with this effort:

View attachment 118835

I need to get hold of a bigger piece of fabric and try again!

BTW, I incorrectly identified a hooded wagon in a couple of my earlier posts as 311756. I now suspect that this is Plate Wagon B933947, with added Hybar and hood.

Nice. A bit like a china clay hood. I used to have a 00 rake of them.

SprattyHeath

A new purchase for me (not actually in brand new condition, second hand) paid what I consider to be quite a reasonable price for this considering the newer tooled ones are over double the amount.

Will go with some new coaching stock that I'm currently awaiting.

1659811146060.png
1659811192445.png
1659811244340.png

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

hexagon789

Veteran Member

xotGD

Established Member

Ted633

Just acquired a new Hornby Mk4 DVT. Bit more than I would like to pay for what is essentially a coach with headlights, but it's a lot better than the original DVT from the 90's! Starting to build-up a rake of Mk4s to await the arrival of the Accurascale class 89 next year.
I've also managed to replace my short mk3s on my HST rake, so obviously the only answer to that was to reactivate my original Hornby HST to run with the short set (the first train I can remember unwrapping as a child, so I bit of sentimental value) with a new motor bogie from eBay. This is now the result.

IMG_20220808_113441.jpg

Mk4 rake currently being hauled by a 76 (rule 1 and all that), as it was the only loco not with its own rake at that moment

Iskra

Established Member
A new purchase for me (not actually in brand new condition, second hand) paid what I consider to be quite a reasonable price for this considering the newer tooled ones are over double the amount.

Will go with some new coaching stock that I'm currently awaiting.

View attachment 118855
View attachment 118856
View attachment 118857
That’s very nice indeed!

Just acquired a new Hornby Mk4 DVT. Bit more than I would like to pay for what is essentially a coach with headlights, but it's a lot better than the original DVT from the 90's! Starting to build-up a rake of Mk4s to await the arrival of the Accurascale class 89 next year.
I've also managed to replace my short mk3s on my HST rake, so obviously the only answer to that was to reactivate my original Hornby HST to run with the short set (the first train I can remember unwrapping as a child, so I bit of sentimental value) with a new motor bogie from eBay. This is now the result.

View attachment 118946

Mk4 rake currently being hauled by a 76 (rule 1 and all that), as it was the only loco not with its own rake at that moment
Love those!

xotGD

Established Member
Adding to my KWVR-themed collection, a GWR 5-plank wagon:

GW 5-Plank.jpg

This represents the below scruffy(!) piece of rolling stock:

S.C.Ruffey.JPG

92977, a 12-ton china clay tippler. Before receiving its current branding it did carry "G W", and is depicted as such in the KWVR stock book, albeit in a paler shade of gray. I'm sure someone with greater skills than me could create their own S.C.Ruffey from an unbranded 5-plank - or indeed a Tim Taylor's van to stand next to it.

I have also extended my rake of Ventilated Vans, and acquired a second Southern PMV/CCT, but as these are remarkably similar to the models shown in earlier posts, I'll spare everyone from further photos.

I have a couple of further mini-projects in the works, so watch this space for more...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

View attachment 119254

View attachment 119255

92977, a 12-ton china clay tippler. Before receiving its current branding it did carry "G W", and is depicted as such in the KWVR stock book, albeit in a paler shade of gray. I'm sure someone with greater skills than me could create their own S.C.Ruffey from an unbranded 5-plank - or indeed a Tim Taylor's van to stand next to it.

I have also extended my rake of Ventilated Vans, and acquired a second Southern PMV/CCT, but as these are remarkably similar to the models shown in earlier posts, I'll spare everyone from further photos.

I have a couple of further mini-projects in the works, so watch this space for more...

Wasn’t that wagon one of the ‘Troublesome Trucks’ from the Thomas stories? I’ve got in my mind that it was torn in half in one of the books.

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 119254

View attachment 119255

Now I like that - though being of a GWR persuasion I'm going to be more inclined towards it ;)

Wasn’t that wagon one of the ‘Troublesome Trucks’ from the Thomas stories? I’ve got in my mind that it was torn in half in one of the books.
Wasn't it Oliver that committed the crime? He was hardly representative of the GWR as a whole in that, I must add :lol:

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wasn't it Oliver that committed the crime? He was hardly representative of the GWR as a whole in that, I must add :lol:

-Peter

Yes! Also the wagon face only had one tooth. :lol:
I just found a clip from the TV series:

xotGD

Established Member
Yes! Also the wagon face only had one tooth. :lol:
I just found a clip from the TV series:

What a disturbing scene - like something from a video nasty!

Something that I will definitely not be recreating with my model!

SprattyHeath

A couple of days ago I went up to Scotland to stay in Fort William for a short holiday. On one particular day I went down to Inverness and made a small 'detour' onto a Scotrail service for a short hop to this small town called Dingwall which had a model shop named "Sports & Model Shop"

I picked up both this Intercity Swallow Mk3 DVT, and a DRS Mk1 RBR Coach (both have actually been on my wishlist for quite some time now!)
1660595847447-png.119273

1660595906780.png
1660595961330.png

About an hour and a half after arriving home from Scotland I had a surprise knock on my door and received this little package that contained none other than my Bachmann Collectors Club model which consisted of this small 7 Plank wagon with the branding "Gloucester Direct Coal Supply LTD" as well as my BCC Members Card, a 25th Anniversary Pin Badge and a small leaflet about the upcoming Warley Exhibition at the NEC later this year (which I will be attending!)
1660596000431.png

Attachments

• 1660595847447.png
    1660595847447.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 141

Iskra

Established Member
A couple of days ago I went up to Scotland to stay in Fort William for a short holiday. On one particular day I went down to Inverness and made a small 'detour' onto a Scotrail service for a short hop to this small town called Dingwall which had a model shop named "Sports & Model Shop"

I picked up both this Intercity Swallow Mk3 DVT, and a DRS Mk1 RBR Coach (both have actually been on my wishlist for quite some time now!)
1660595847447-png.119273

View attachment 119274
View attachment 119275

About an hour and a half after arriving home from Scotland I had a surprise knock on my door and received this little package that contained none other than my Bachmann Collectors Club model which consisted of this small 7 Plank wagon with the branding "Gloucester Direct Coal Supply LTD" as well as my BCC Members Card, a 25th Anniversary Pin Badge and a small leaflet about the upcoming Warley Exhibition at the NEC later this year (which I will be attending!)
View attachment 119276
Very nice additions! I like the IC DVT. What was the DRS buffet used for?

TheEdge

Established Member
My grandad died last week and he was the one who installed his love of trains into me so I've been feeling very spendy looking for locos and models that have some relevance to him.

I've already got the Fag Packet HST we used to watch at Exeter St Davids, I'm trawling eBay, Facebook and used sales for 88 in S&DJR Blue but we spent a long time watching the 9351 Mogul project progress and when it finally completed we were quick to head over to Bishops Lydeard and get a ride behind it. While trying to convince my friend to spend £550 on an O Gauge Falcon I spotted among all the Dapol Manors this little Mogul, it may not be 9351 but it's close enough. And to be honest I'll probably just get some 9351 plates, the differences just are not enough for me to care.

DSC_1521.JPG

Iskra

Established Member
My grandad died last week and he was the one who installed his love of trains into me so I've been feeling very spendy looking for locos and models that have some relevance to him.

I've already got the Fag Packet HST we used to watch at Exeter St Davids, I'm trawling eBay, Facebook and used sales for 88 in S&DJR Blue but we spent a long time watching the 9351 Mogul project progress and when it finally completed we were quick to head over to Bishops Lydeard and get a ride behind it. While trying to convince my friend to spend £550 on an O Gauge Falcon I spotted among all the Dapol Manors this little Mogul, it may not be 9351 but it's close enough. And to be honest I'll probably just get some 9351 plates, the differences just are not enough for me to care.

View attachment 119397
I’m sorry to hear that, I can empathise though as I lost both of mine last year and they also were the reason I’m into railways. I’m glad you found a suitably fitting loco :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

View attachment 119397

I am very sorry to hear that. I’d imagine that he’d be only too pleased to know that you were thinking of him with these purchases though.

I did have a look for a model of the 7F (88) the other day when you mentioned it and you’re right they’re really hard to find. There was an LMS one for sale at a reasonably sensible price but that was it. I’ll carry on keeping an eye out though.

Peter C

Established Member

1660595847447-png.119273

View attachment 119274
View attachment 119275

View attachment 119276
Loving those. The DVT looks lovely - the Swallow livery has a touch of class to it, I feel. :)
That wagon looks really nice as well: reminds me of the sort of thing you might expect to see in the Engine House at Highley, on the Severn Valley Railway!

View attachment 119397
I'm sorry to hear that - trains, and model railways in particular, I've found, make for quite a good 'constant' and it's lovely to hear of your collecting those more special models. That 'Mogul' looks very nice - the livery looks particularly good, doesn't it? Not to mention you can see the Technical Bits (TM) between the frames. :)

-Peter

xotGD

Established Member
May I add my condolences to @TheEdge - that model looks like a fitting tribute to your Grandad.

For my KWVR collection I have now branched out into coaching stock. One of the features of the line is the Mark 1 suburban stock that is often in service, such as this example seen at Keighley:

E48011.jpg

I have therefore acquired a short rake. All Bachmann models, but sporting two slightly different shades of maroon:

Suburban Set.jpg

The older models are on the left, and are a duller colour. This is actually a decent representation of the real thing, as there is a clear difference between newly painted and weathered on the real stock.

I now have a problem, as I don't have a space long enough to accommodate a 4-coach set. (They are not allowed to stay on the mantlepiece, where the photo was taken!)

Iskra

Established Member
May I add my condolences to @TheEdge - that model looks like a fitting tribute to your Grandad.

For my KWVR collection I have now branched out into coaching stock. One of the features of the line is the Mark 1 suburban stock that is often in service, such as this example seen at Keighley:

View attachment 119493

I have therefore acquired a short rake. All Bachmann models, but sporting two slightly different shades of maroon:

View attachment 119494

The older models are on the left, and are a duller colour. This is actually a decent representation of the real thing, as there is a clear difference between newly painted and weathered on the real stock.

I now have a problem, as I don't have a space long enough to accommodate a 4-coach set. (They are not allowed to stay on the mantlepiece, where the photo was taken!)
Very nice! I've always had a soft spot for that type of coach due to their appearance on the KWVR which I visited a lot as a child. They are a nice coach and I acquired a very similar 4 coach rake for my own railway in homage to the KWVR. They can also be found quite cheaply. I always enjoy travelling in them too due to the high number of droplights :)

TheEdge

Established Member
Thanks all for the comments.

@Cowley thanks for keeping an eye out. In your corner of the country you might be more likely to come across one. I'm not optimistic of finding one soon.

RichJF

View attachment 119493

View attachment 119494

Begging for a model of Moorgate Widened Lines now hauled by a class 31 :D

xotGD

Established Member
My latest mini-project is to recreate the tea room at Oxenhope station. This is a Mark 1 buffer car (E1824) painted in 'blood & custard', with a maroon CCT/PMV (S1517S) stood next to it acting as a store. Seen here from the 'public' side:

Oxenhope Tea Room 1.JPG

And here is the view from round the back, which isn't quite so pretty, but shows the van more clearly:

Oxenhope Tea Room 2.jpg

So here is my effort in OO scale:

Buffer Car and CCT.jpg

The buffet car is an old Triang model, while the van is Dapol. Just pretend that the buffet car is a different colour on the back!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My latest mini-project is to recreate the tea room at Oxenhope station. This is a Mark 1 buffer car (E1824) painted in 'blood & custard', with a maroon CCT/PMV (S1517S) stood next to it acting as a store. Seen here from the 'public' side:

View attachment 119665

And here is the view from round the back, which isn't quite so pretty, but shows the van more clearly:

View attachment 119666

So here is my effort in OO scale:

View attachment 119670

The buffet car is an old Triang model, while the van is Dapol. Just pretend that the buffet car is a different colour on the back!

I think you need a load of these and a pot of grey paint. :)